ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Rank the main games setlists from worst to best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mninp  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Rank the main games setlists from worst to best Reply with quote

I'm gonna do Rock Band as well because it adds four more games. I won't be doing Band Hero or Lego Rock Band becuse I haven't played them. Feel free to add them if you want.

11. Guitar Hero Live- The fact that a random Soundgarden song I have never heard before became one of my favorite songs in this game says a lot. Not that I don't like Soundgarden, they're pretty good, but...this game gave me almost nothing to work with. Dubstepp, pop, rap and indie rock flooded this game. You could tell they were trying to cater to a mainstream audience...who the hell would put Skrillex in Guitar Hero? Won't Get Fooled Again was cut to shreds because apparently mainstream audiences have no attention span. The good songs here were few and far between. This is the worst setlist in any music game ever.

10. Rock Band 4- While this setlist isn't exactly terrible...it's just really lacking in a lot of ways. You can tell they were running out of steam here. some of the songs in this game I came to be a big fan of , but there were some admittedly terrible choices. A lot of filler, and the substance it does have is too few and far between.

9. Guitar Hero World Tour
- Meh...that's really what comes to my mind when I think of WT's setlist. Meh. What kills it for me is the overabundance of Indie Rock. If you're an Indie Rock fan. then this game probably has the best setlist for you. I am not, so this games setlist gets number 9 for me. There are some really good choices here, but the amount of Indie Rock pretty much suffocates everything around it.

8. Rock Band 3- I hated this setlist at first. This game has a lot of repeats that were already in GH before, and there's A LOT of Indie Rock filler in here. However...there are some songs here that I am just a HUGE fan of. I played this game to learn Pro Guitar and Keyboard, so this game has a ton of nostalgia for me. That being said...the setlist still isn't great, but a lot of these songs I have come to like, or in some cases, love. It could have been a lot better, but it does have a charm to it. For me at least. Plus it's got 25 or 6 to 4 which is one of the greatest songs of all time and just an ultimate beast for a music game.

7. Guitar Hero 2- While this setlist has a lot of nostalgia for me, I can't put my finger on what I don't like about it. I mean it's good...it's just not great. Some of the song choices are really weird and the setlist is filled with a lot of songs that are over 5 minutes long, and they just kind of drag on. It's a good setlist, but it doesn't quite have the charm that the first game did. The songs in this game aren't that replayable for me for some reason.

6. Guitar Hero 5- When I saw this setlist I thought it was another World Tour. In a way it kind of is, but I've actually grown to be a fan of a lot of the songs in this game that I didn't know before. This is a setlist that I will always stick up for, because I believe it has the most genre balanced setlist of any music game ever. If WT took out all the indie bonus songs and added like 20 songs all from different genres, i would basically be GH5's setlist. It's not the greatest in the world, but it's an extremely solid 7.5/10. Plus it has King Crimson, which separates it from everything else.

5. Guitar Hero- I'm putting this here mainly for the bonus songs. The bonus songs in this game are absolutely amazing. The main setlist is decent overall...a little lacking, but not bad. But the bonus songs...so many awesome tracks in there.

4. Rock Band 2- When this setlist is good, it's REALLY good...but when it's bad, it's pretty damn bad. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with this setlist. Like half the setlst is amazing and the other half is good to downright terrible. Still the amazing part of this setlist keeps it at number four...it's just THAT good.

3. Rock Band- Heavy Metal and Classic Rock are my two favorite music genres. This is a setlist that is heavily weighted toward the Classic Rock side...and it's absolutely awesome. Even the filler tracks have a charm to them. I can't say enough good things about this setlist. The bonus songs, however, do hold it back a little, which is why it's at number 3.

2. Guitar Hero 3- The main setlist is pretty much perfect (except Story of My Life...worst song ever). But the bonus songs are hit and miss. Some are amazing, some are awful. But it's enough to keep it from the top spot, because that number one spot is some serious competition.

1. Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock- And...it wasn't even close. This is BY FAR the greatest setlist of any music game ever. 90% of the setlist IS Classic Rock and Heavy Metal...my favorite. This setlist is so good that when an Indie Rock song comes up I appreciate it more. It's nice to have a bit of a break from the shredding badassery of the rest of the setlist. This setlist is almost TOO good. Take a song like...Interstate Love Song. If you put that song in GHWT, I wouldn't have noticed it, it would have just gotten mixed up with everything else. Put it in WoR and suddenly it stands out. This game made me a big fan of STP, and I would never have noticed that song if it was in WT, because all WT had was alternative rock and indie rock. (I know STP is grunge, but still...not the biggest grunge fan either). But seriously...this setlist is just so damn good. Not even close for the top spot.
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Band 3 at 8... GH5 at 6... GH2 at 7... GH3 at 2? Boy!

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
iimeade  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rank the main games setlists from worst to best Reply with quote

mninp wrote:
I hated this setlist at first. This game has a lot of repeats that were already in GH before

what the fuck does that matter, it's rock band, by harmonix, not guitar hero, by neversoft

just because a song is in one game, licensed by one company, doesn't mean that the other company cannot license it.

also that is the SHITTIEST excuse for thinking a setlist is bad. so you thought that the songs were good when they were in guitar hero, and now they're in rock band and since they're repeats they now suddenly are garbage? what the fuck type of logic is that

parzrevenge wrote:
stop trying to be pieman 2015
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, where is Band Hero on here? Or Lego Rock Band? Why not look at the setlists?

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
GingerBraFace  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread about this the other day I thought. Turns out, it was actually two years ago:

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110898&highlight=

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: GingerBraFace PSN Name: GingerBraFace Wii Friend Code: 390546319559
PinkiePie91  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GingerBraFace wrote:
There was a thread about this the other day I thought. Turns out, it was actually two years ago:

Shhhhhh, that makes it easier for me to copy over my old picks.

1. GH2
2. GH1
3. GH:WOR
4. GH3
5. GH:80's
6. GH:SH
7. GH:VH
8. GH:WT
9. GH Live
10. GH5
11. Band Hero
12. GH:A

Would go into them in detail on why I like X game over Y game... but I don't. And looking at it again, I forgot about GHM... so I'm having a tough time if I dislike Aerosmith more or less than Metallica...
mninp  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rank the main games setlists from worst to best Reply with quote

iimeade wrote:
mninp wrote:
I hated this setlist at first. This game has a lot of repeats that were already in GH before

what the fuck does that matter, it's rock band, by harmonix, not guitar hero, by neversoft

just because a song is in one game, licensed by one company, doesn't mean that the other company cannot license it.

also that is the SHITTIEST excuse for thinking a setlist is bad. so you thought that the songs were good when they were in guitar hero, and now they're in rock band and since they're repeats they now suddenly are garbage? what the fuck type of logic is that

First off, relax. Here, have a Snickers.

It absolutely does have to do with the quality of the setlist, especially because Harmonix put the songs in Guitar Hero themselves. Also...let's say GH2 had the exact same setlist as GH1. Which would be better to you?

For me it wuld be GH1 because that game did it first. When you make a GH/RB game and you're looking for song choices, you have to keep in mind what people have played before. Hypothetical: They make a GH8. They have a choice to either put Holy Wars...The Punishment Due by Megadeth or Set the World Afire by Megadeth. Which song strengthens the setlist? If you're not a Megadeth fan then you probably wouldn't know, but if you are, the choice is obvious. You can take this concept and apply it to any band.

RB3 could have used any other A7X song and it would have been a better choice. What about Burn it Down? Having a repeat song wastes a spot, especially a song that was in TWO GH games already.
mninp  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
Also, where is Band Hero on here? Or Lego Rock Band? Why not look at the setlists?

Part of what makes me like a setlist over the other is how fun the songs are to play. It's not a HUGE factor, but it's part of it. I have never played either of those games...but just looking at the list, both of them would be near the bottom. I'd have to play them though to really judge them.
mninp  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkiePie91 wrote:
GingerBraFace wrote:

1. GH2
2. GH1
4. GH3
9. GH Live
10. GH5
11. Band Hero

Would go into them in detail on why I like X game over Y game... but I don't. And looking at it again, I forgot about GHM... so I'm having a tough time if I dislike Aerosmith more or less than Metallica...

Is tha list based on just the setlists, or the gameplay and presentation as well? My list is only focusing on the setlists, but it looks like you're factoring in everything.
PinkiePie91  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mninp wrote:
PinkiePie91 wrote:
GingerBraFace wrote:

1. GH2
2. GH1
4. GH3
9. GH Live
10. GH5
11. Band Hero

Is tha list based on just the setlists, or the gameplay and presentation as well? My list is only focusing on the setlists, but it looks like you're factoring in everything.
It's based on setlists/engine quality. If I took out engine quality, I think WT would be around 5, and VH would be either 11-12.
Peachfanclub  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

13. Guitar Hero Aerosmith. Wasn't a big fan of Aerosmith before or after playing the game. Out of the 41 songs, there are only a few that I do like, but I really don't understand the structure of playing two seemingly random songs at a time before "bringing on Aerosmith".

12. Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s. Only 30 songs and most of them are covers. Was this marketed as an expansion to Guitar Hero 2 or a standalone title?

11. Guitar Hero Live. Again, only 42 songs in the main setlist is a disappointment. Also, I miss the days when Guitar Hero was all about that "You Rock!" graphic after completing a song.

10. Guitar Hero Van Halen. Only 20 songs by the band and none of them feature Sammy Hagar. What do they have against him, anyway?

9. Band Hero. If they were going for a tactic similar to Lego Rock Band, they failed. Out of the 65 songs, again there are only a few that I like and/or recognize.

8. Guitar Hero Smash Hits. No Cherub Rock. Enough said.

7. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock. In retrospect, playing through the biggest setlist in the series just felt like a chore, even if several of the songs were worth listening to.

6. Guitar Hero 5. Comparable to Warriors of Rock, but greater variety made more songs worth listening to.

5. Guitar Hero. A fantastic selection to kick off the series, even if all the songs are covers.

4. Guitar Hero World Tour. Despite having the same problems as the other new school games regarding lesser-known songs, I think it has some of the most recognizable songs in the whole series.

3. Guitar Hero Metallica. Playing this setlist was a blast, and I now appreciate heavy metal a whole lot more because of it.

2. Guitar Hero 2. A perhaps more iconic and widespread selection of songs than its predecessor, even if most of the songs are still covers.

1. Guitar Hero 3. Great story mode, unbelievable sense of progression, one of the best engines in the series, and Cherub Rock.
8/7/18 - Fury of the Storm FC

On Jan 24, 2016, AdamHero wrote:
peach you are good at guitar hero
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Peachfanclub PSN Name: Peachfanclub Wii Friend Code: 0475108893170582
Rikuthemaster  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now some of these I haven't played, like the Guitar Hero DS games, and Band Hero. But if we're going by setlist, I'd rank the following.

12. Guitar Hero Live: When I think of guitar greats, I definitely think of people like Rihanna, Skrillex, and Good Charlotte. /s Don't get me wrong, some of these songs were fun; King for a Day and Love Bites were some really fun songs. But two or three good songs don't really save an entire setlist of "meh". I'm not counting the GHTV setlist, which there were actually some really fun songs in, but I'm too angry about the whole microtransaction thing that I don't even want to draw attention to it.

11. Guitar Hero Metallica: I don't like Metallica.

10. Guitar Hero Van Halen: I have no idea how half of these songs made it on the list, honestly. But even though a few songs were fun, I'm just not a huge fan of Van Halen. But I do like them more than Metallica.

9. Guitar Hero Aerosmith: Out of all of the solo Guitar Hero games, Aerosmith was probably my favorite. Though Joe Perry's fretboard was really irritating to me. Even though I wasn't a fan of quite a few songs, some of them were kinda fun, I guess. I actually don't remember, I only played through this setlist once, lol

8. Guitar Hero World Tour: Honestly the most fun I had in this game was out of GH Tunes. But I can only think of a small handful of songs that really stuck out. Still wasn't that bad of a game.

7. Guitar Hero 5: GH Tunes 2 made the game for me, lol. Plus there were quite a few good songs on this setlist, along with it being pretty diverse in regards to genre. Gorillaz, Iron Maiden, Children of Bodem, David Bowie, etc. This was a game I had to go back a 2nd time to really enjoy the setlist, since I wasn't a huge fan first time around.

6. Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock: I recall really liking the story on this one. Along with quite a few really fun tracks. Ravenous, Fury of the Storm, all of 2112, etc. Out of the final few Guitar Hero games, this one had a really strong close to the series I think. Until Guitar Hero Live came into existence and fucked everything up.

5. Guitar Hero Smash Hits: I remember people being salty about this one since it was just a bunch of repackaged songs, but at least the songs they repackaged were pretty good. Quite a few of these charts I prefer to the originals. Plus, master tracks my dude.

4. Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s: Is it an expansion? Or a standalone title? Don't know, don't care, I liked the 30 songs on this setlist. As a kid who grew up on 80s metal, I really enjoyed this one. The covers were pretty solid, and I can't really think of a single song I didn't enjoy playing, besides maybe Bathroom Wall.

3. Guitar Hero: I really need to go back through and play this one again. Due to how much I hated the ho/po engine, it made me never want to go through this again. But after playing through some of the setlist on Clone Hero, I forgot how fun some of these charts were. Even though some of them were charted really badly, a lot of these songs were super fun, and were what got me into my favorite series. Maybe I'm just awarding it nostalgia points for that, who knows.

2. Guitar Hero III: This was the first midnight release of a video game I ever went to. Even though there were a lot of memes about "OVERCHARTED, NEVERSOFT FAILS," which I totally agree with, I still had a lot of fun on this one. Though I still believe whoever charted all of Tier 7 deserved to be fired. Which forever made me despise 3 note chords, and not charting them unless it actually makes sense. (power chords shouldn't be 3 note chords, don't @ me). Plus I'm not a fan of the game engine. The ho/po window was wider than a whale's vagina, which meant I could basically just press any button and it seemed like I could get it to hit. It was just way too forgiving. And so help me god if you strum a hammer on or something. But if we're just looking in terms of setlists, this one ranks pretty high for me, obviously ^^

1. Guitar Hero II: This was also probably the game I put the most amount of time into. Besides Yes We Can and Red Lottery, this setlist is perfect. And a lot of the covers were actually pretty decent. Plus Jordan. Oh my god, Jordan. I feel like Jordan was really the community's first taste of an "impossible" song. And I still love playing it to this day. This is the Guitar Hero game that is completely timeless, and I still feel like I'll go back and play it any day of the week.

Did somebody say [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: TTParadigm PSN Name: TTParadigm
Whitt333  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12. Guitar Hero Live: I really tried to enjoy this game, but absolutely couldn't. I wish they had just extended the fretboard with another fret, but not segment it between "strings".
10. Guitar Hero Van Halen: I don't like Van Halen and didn't find this game enjoyable to play.
11. Guitar Hero 5: I thought this game had a terrible setlist. I barely played it and didn't enjoy the game mechanics.
9. Guitar Hero Aerosmith: A decently fun game at the time, essentially a large and easy DLC pack for GH3. I wish they had made the Metallica game here instead.
8. Guitar Hero World Tour: This game initiated the downward swing of the series. It had an OK setlist, and added mechanics to the game that I never liked such as the tapping sections and open strumming.
7. Guitar Hero Smash Hits: Although I rarely played this game, it was fun seeing some re-charts of songs from game past. It was a very unnecessary game though, and definitely contributed to the over-saturation of the series.
6. Guitar Hero Metallica: As a big Metallica fan, this game was a long time coming. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but didn't end up ever grinding out the game for top scores or anything like that.
5. Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock: Although I strongly dislike the game engine, this game had an incredible setlist. It was a great game that gave big fans of the series some challenging and fun tracks.
4. Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s: More of a large DLC pack to GH2, and was a large disappointment for many when it came out due to it being relatively short and essentially a reskin of GH2. However, I very much value that this game came out before the series forever changed with GH3. There are some fun challenges and good tracks here.
3. Guitar Hero III: This game brought GH further into the mainstream, but also changed the series permanently going forward. No game could capture the same level of fun and engagement for me after this. Great challenges with a large and exciting setlist. Overall not a fan of the HOPO system compared to GH2/80's, but I prefer it to games that came afterwards. TTFAF was a true excitement when this game came out, but not quite the same level of challenge that Jordan was in GH2.
2. Guitar Hero: Some people dislike this game for the HOPO mechanics, but it is truly an incredible game. The setlist is on point. There are challenges for the newest and the most experienced players all throughout the game.
1. Guitar Hero II: When I think of Guitar Hero, this is the game that comes up in my mind. It took the great concept of the first game and added a much better setlist and improved mechanics. They added bass tracks and a cooperative version. It included the most exciting song and challenge of any game - Jordan. Hyperspeed was invented. It also was the first game available for the newer generation of game systems (Xbox 360), and the first game with DLC. In my opinion, this game is perfection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: