ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Oh My God...Part 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find if I get stuck in BM, playing Popn helps, and vicxe versa :p
Whodi  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing IIDX since 2002 and it's easily the most frustrating game in existence. Konami needs to take some cues from Harmonix in terms of tuning the difficulty of their games. IIDX is ridiculously top-heavy and remains a niche game. The overall appeal would be a lot stronger if the game didn't start off as a kick in the nuts. Hardcore players can only keep a series alive for so long before it tanks.

EDIT> Sorry for the thread necromancy, I wasn't checking timestamps.
N00bSaib0t  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whodi wrote:
I have been playing IIDX since 2002 and it's easily the most frustrating game in existence. Konami needs to take some cues from Harmonix in terms of tuning the difficulty of their games. IIDX is ridiculously top-heavy and remains a niche game. The overall appeal would be a lot stronger if the game didn't start off as a kick in the nuts. Hardcore players can only keep a series alive for so long before it tanks.

EDIT> Sorry for the thread necromancy, I wasn't checking timestamps.

i could be wrong, but doesnt like... the entire country of japan play IIDX? ok, an exageration, but my point is that the series is alive in japan because a lot of people play it. it already tanked in the US for the reason you listed, but i think japan is another story.

i do agree that its beyond frustrating though. i cant pass anything higher than a 7.
JDM  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIDX is easily the most difficult music game that Konami still creates new iterations of. That's pretty much the entire point, which is why the new features in each installment, like score-graphs, ghosts and in-song speed changes, are geared towards hardcore players. There are plenty of other music games out there that are focused less on keeping expert players interested - go play those?
N00bSaib0t  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDM wrote:
IIDX is easily the most difficult music game that Konami still creates new iterations of. That's pretty much the entire point, which is why the new features in each installment, like score-graphs, ghosts and in-song speed changes, are geared towards hardcore players. There are plenty of other music games out there that are focused less on keeping expert players interested - go play those?

i dont think you got the point... why should someone go play another game just because they dont like A[A]? thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard. i dont like A[A] either, want to know my solution? i played i different song. i think thats what he does too. weird.
Whodi  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDM wrote:

You misunderstand, my issue is that they continue to make the game top-heavy without making it conducive to gaining new players. It doesn't affect me at all because I got through the learning process of IIDX a long, long time ago, but it does affect new players who want to pick it up and are turned off by the difficulty. The Guitar Hero series is great because Easy mode is, well, easy. Same with pop'n music and DDR, there are plenty of easy songs for beginners to wean themselves onto the gameplay. Comparatively, Light7 is an absolute fisting for someone who just picked the game up. Even the easiest songs like Doigts de Fatima have bizarre rhythms and difficult switches between white and black keys.

What I'm trying to say is that hardcore-only player bases rarely grow, they only shrink as the hardcore guys get bored. The way that it affects us is that eventually they'll get to the point where they're not making enough money off IIDX to justify another version, and more IIDX is always better.
Matt  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, the game has been around for roughly 10 years now. If you want easier installments, go back and play the first few styles of the game. If Guitar Hero reaches it's 12th or 13th installment, will you still want in cluttered with a huge number of easy songs? Or would you rather it remain a challenge for you?

And for the record, I learned how to play IIDX on 7th style. I am sorry if its not a game that can be immediately picked up and played well. It is a game you actually have to commit yourself to. It takes more than a day of practice to start playing on harder difficulties. Everytime I hear someone complain about how hard the game is (especially BMUS, which is very beginer friendly), I get sick to my stomach because I know it is someone who is used to games coming easily for them, and they aren't used to having to actually *work* at a game to be able to not suck completely. Go back and play in beginner mode for a week or so until you get used to the controller. Once you get over that hump, the game really isn't so bad.
N00bSaib0t  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, cause youre totaly the only person to learn on a newer japanese game, god damn. the game is still a kick in the nuts to learn. the first time i played IIDX was on 9th style, and i failed on beginner for about an hour and a half. no other rhythm game has done that to me, most of them i can skip the easy difficulty, like i did with GHII.

and the point that IIDX has been around for a while is irrelivent. DDR is older than IIDX, ddr has butterfly, a first mix song, in its newer games. old doesnt mean it cant be beginner friendly.

and on the note of beginner friendly, i owned guitar hero II for 3 days when i passed everything on hard(and i picked this up having played GHII maybe 3 times). granted expert is relativly difficult, but guitar hero IS a beginner friendly game. IIDX is not.
Whodi  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
See, the game has been around for roughly 10 years now. If you want easier installments, go back and play the first few styles of the game. If Guitar Hero reaches it's 12th or 13th installment, will you still want in cluttered with a huge number of easy songs? Or would you rather it remain a challenge for you?

And for the record, I learned how to play IIDX on 7th style. I am sorry if its not a game that can be immediately picked up and played well. It is a game you actually have to commit yourself to. It takes more than a day of practice to start playing on harder difficulties. Everytime I hear someone complain about how hard the game is (especially BMUS, which is very beginer friendly), I get sick to my stomach because I know it is someone who is used to games coming easily for them, and they aren't used to having to actually *work* at a game to be able to not suck completely. Go back and play in beginner mode for a week or so until you get used to the controller. Once you get over that hump, the game really isn't so bad.

You don't understand what I'm talking about. I play Expert on GH, so I would want GH12 to have challenging Expert songs, not challenging Easy songs. I don't play Easy, beginners do. Light7 is still too hard to start on, and the arcade machines do not have a Beginner mode.

It's unreasonable to expect a new player to go out and buy old, outdated games, because not everyone plays a game to get good at it and compete. Those are hardcore gamers. Casual gamers will always be the ones keeping a series afloat, and it's going to be a sad day when Konami stops making IIDX because their hardcore constituency has gotten bored of it. They've allowed no influx of new casual gamers.
N00bSaib0t  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whodi wrote:
Light7 is still too hard to start on, and the arcade machines do not have a Beginner mode.

red does, i accidently picked it once.
Matt  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heaven forbid you people actually try to learn to play a real guitar, or a piano.

The latest home version of IIDX (12th style Happy Sky) has 5.1.1., the easiest song from the game (on normal/light7), and is also from 1st style. I am sorry you had to play for an hour and a half of beginner mode, but some things in life cant be mastered in a day.

And I think every arcade installment of IIDX has had beginner mode. I know Happy Sky and Distorted does (along with Red, as N00bSaib0t pointed out).

Also, the Beatmania series has been around longer than DDR. And the game does has a 5 key option you can use to learn on. And autoscratch.
N00bSaib0t  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, an attack at us for not playing a real insturment, very mature of you. i have no interest in playing an instrument, but i do enjoy playing rhythm games.

and yes, happy sky has 5.1.1., which was re-done in 10th style to have a 6* 7k/hyper. its no longer an uber-easy song. l7/normal is still easy, but doesnt every game have like 2 or 3 1* songs in it? i know 8th-12th does, but whats the fun for someone in being able to play 3/80 songs? even a 2* song is a big step up from the 1*.

and in the arcade, beginner might be there, but you CAN NOT use mods in it(atleast not in red). that already takes away from learning the game, because even beginner can be difficult without HS mods. ever play gigadelic beginner? i was shocked with how hard it was, and i pass 7*s all the time.

one more thing, you have to completely relearn how to play going from 5 to 7 key, that mod helps no one. autoscratch only helps if your machine or controller is broken. if you remove what makes the game hard, you arent really learning how to play. i hold this same theory to GH and the easier difficulties not using certain buttons.
Dreyvas  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N00bSaib0t wrote:
wow, an attack at us for not playing a real insturment, very mature of you. i have no interest in playing an instrument, but i do enjoy playing rhythm games.

No, he's just saying that if you're too lazy to learn Beatmania, don't ever try something like a real instrument.

Phr34k  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beatmania was the original Konami rhythm game. This is where the name Bemani comes from, which DDR is a part of. Beatmania.

IIDX is also the hardest oen to learn. As Matt said, if you enjoy being able to skip the easier difficulties, then maybe GH is the better rhythm game for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: SHPhr34k Wii Friend Code: 4837355543248763
Matt  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N00b, you are treading on thin ice. I would be careful what you say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: