ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Daily Updating Stat Images!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> ScoreHero Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCirri  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for making those images pata. I will definitely consider using those when I get around to adding 80s sig images. I still need to get the 80s SP topics/charts up along with the total note values and debr's calculated cutoffs submitted to the database. Right now my top priority is preparing for more scorehero exclusive announcements coming soon. But once those issues are taken care of, I'll get to work on 80s sig image integration.

Now that there's so many combinations available, and it's quite possible that users will want to see all stats. I may need to make combinations beyond 2 games an additional upgrade, since the images are one of the largest strains on the server. Many users have more contribution than they know what to do with, so this shouldn't be a huge problem, but will limit the ever-increasing daily 6:30am EST strain that already takes over an hour to update all images as it is now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalMadness wrote:
I don't think you'll have to buy anything additional (I hope not). I hope they just add in more options like GH, GH2, 80's and then all the combinations of the 4(with 360). I already "paid" for the daily updating stat image, with new games, I hope those are included like GH2 was.

I agree with you MM. Just add 80s functionality to the already made designs. With two new ones (one, GH1-GH2:PS2-GHE, the other GH1-GH2:360-GHE) for all 3 versions.

Rest In Peace Rap Battle 2009
PS, HipsterTrash = Yur0wnStupidity
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BDOWN08
siouxper  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pay a few extra points for it, but I'd have to prove more cutoffs to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Sig's Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:
Thanks for making those images pata. I will definitely consider using those when I get around to adding 80s sig images. I still need to get the 80s SP topics/charts up along with the total note values and debr's calculated cutoffs submitted to the database. Right now my top priority is preparing for more scorehero exclusive announcements coming soon. But once those issues are taken care of, I'll get to work on 80s sig image integration.

Now that there's so many combinations available, and it's quite possible that users will want to see all stats. I may need to make combinations beyond 2 games an additional upgrade, since the images are one of the largest strains on the server. Many users have more contribution than they know what to do with, so this shouldn't be a huge problem, but will limit the ever-increasing daily 6:30am EST strain that already takes over an hour to update all images as it is now.

Well considering Guitar Hero III coming out in a few months, you basically have 4 main games to make combinations of:

GH I
GH II - (at this point pick PS2 or XBOX it's stupid to show both)
GH II - RT80's
and soon GH III

I think there should be an upgrade to purchase an additional Sig Image. So if a user has two Sig's now, they can then use the red "double-sig" twice, with whatever combinations they want. I am definitely one of the users who wants to see all the stats and would pay for it in the store.

-OR- (and in hindsight I think this is the better way to go)

The other thing you could do about strain is possibly take away the combinations? Make a fixed Sig for each game and if you want it, you buy it, period. If users are worried about cost, what was it, 20 points for the sig? And if at most you could show 2 games with one sig, then a single sig is worth 10 points. So just make 5 Sig's at 10 points a piece and users can buy what they want. Anyone that has already purchased the sig gets to pick 2 sigs for free since they already contributed their 20 points.

Just my $0.02

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:

JC, what happened to the old server from when you did the upgrade? Is it still hanging around? Maybe it could be set up to do the heavy processing of things like this and take the strain off the main server? Or is this already how you've got it set up? There's no point (besides speed, perhaps) in overloading the live machine with stuff that's not critical.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
JCirri  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the large strain is on the database itself to retrieve stats to build the images, not the PHP image creation functions. Only the live server has the database to pull information from, so there's little point in accessing it remotely and transferring the images back again, as the strain on the database would be unaffected.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, fair enough. I presume you do DB dumps for backup purposes? Could one of these be imported onto the other server for the image run?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
JCirri  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do perform daily DB dumps for backups. But transferring the currently 1.2GB dump over (could be compressed, but would still be large), perform the updates, then send the images back again, and trying to automate that procedure seems like more effort than it's worth, at least at the moment.

There's many queries I can still optimize on the update script, since I wrote that I've later developed more efficient ways to pull stats that I use on the public pages, and never went back to change those. So that's something I'll do first before having to resort to outside processing methods.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Another option, if you need to go down the outside processing path, would be to use DB replication rather than importing backups. It'd also mean you have a hot backup if the main server goes pear-shaped (knock on wood).
Barfo  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you already do something like this, but one thing you might do is set up a single bit flag in everybody's profile that gets flipped to true when they submit any score, and then what you can do is when time comes to do the update you only process an image for those people where the flag is true, and then set the flag to false after querying for the image (or perhaps some other better implementation, my programming/db knowledge is fairly rudimentary), that way you can ignore running the series of queries on that fraction of the image-enabled userbase that hasnt updated any scores since the last time the image was created (thus indicating that their image is still valid).
JCirri  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do that, but that's not quite true. Ranks are dependent on others' score submissions and degrade passively over time.

I could flag each game/difficulty combination and only update images with one or more sections that have potentially changed, but considering the amount of traffic we get now it's extremely unlikely for any combination to not receive a single submission in 24 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah good point. that renders my idea totally off-base. I guess i only ever look at the stats on the right in those images.
jahosive2  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: What DB are you using? Reply with quote

I may be able to help. I am an Oracle DBA, let alone an instructor for Oracle Corp, Certified Oracle Master. If it's not Oracle, I can take a look at the code, but don't know how much I can help. Let me know.
pata70  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC, any idea how long I'll still have to keep those fake pictures in my signature?
coolkidex  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faster load times: More happyness!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> ScoreHero Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: