Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GUIDE: How to make a custom disc use a separate save file
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John5  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: australian Reply with quote

im australian iv tryed and followed each step to make my own custom GH songs i have the disc swap down pat iv changes te song in GHEX exactly as followed the used CD/DVD generator to turn the files into an ilm file. i put SLES_54442 as my disc name like in the instructions which is written on my disc then playstation as the producer name Then licence area iv tryed america didnt work then tryed europe didnt work id try japan but im sick of the disc not working i then export the stuff to an ilm file then use GENI to convert the lim file to an iso file then burn to a DVD at 4x speed then i put the original GH 2 disc in the drive wait for he playstation signto come up then count to 4 then open the drive with a slide key put the burnt copy ito the drive close the drive and lock the drive with the key i wait about 5 seconds and it says please insert a playstation/playstation 2 format into drive. its giving me the shits and i need to find out what is wrong can someone please tell me what im doing wrong.
edisinsane  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: australian Reply with quote

John5 wrote:
im australian iv tryed and followed each step to make my own custom GH songs i have the disc swap down pat iv changes te song in GHEX exactly as followed the used CD/DVD generator to turn the files into an ilm file. i put SLES_54442 as my disc name like in the instructions which is written on my disc then playstation as the producer name Then licence area iv tryed america didnt work then tryed europe didnt work id try japan but im sick of the disc not working i then export the stuff to an ilm file then use GENI to convert the lim file to an iso file then burn to a DVD at 4x speed then i put the original GH 2 disc in the drive wait for he playstation signto come up then count to 4 then open the drive with a slide key put the burnt copy ito the drive close the drive and lock the drive with the key i wait about 5 seconds and it says please insert a playstation/playstation 2 format into drive. its giving me the shits and i need to find out what is wrong can someone please tell me what im doing wrong.

whoa. okay:

1 - we're not supposed to talk about ps2 modding here (including the disc swap method)

2 - i have no idea what GENI is, but you should be using apache3 to build an iso from .iml

3 - if you get the 'insert playstation/playstation 2 format disc' screen, either you swapped too early, or you didn't make the disc properly (which is probably the case)

4 - read this (ALL OF IT) http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18766 and follow the steps EXACTLY as they're written. you shouldn't have any problems after that

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

Nope i followed the instructions carefully and made sure i did everything its not the disc swap so it must have something to do with the disc. Take into account i live in AUSTRALIA, is the information im putting into the CD/DVD generator correct. (Disc name:SLES 54442 / Producer: PLAYSTATION / Country: EUROPE even though i live in australia i put europe because they have the SLES code as well.
stretchcomfort  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those in a PAL region:

You need to edit a different dtb file than that in the original post. At least on my PAL discs, the ELF region in mc.dtb is SLUSxxxx so i think the PAL versions may ignore the content of mc.dtb. Modifying mc.dtb as per the original thread did not stop my original GH2 savefile from opening.

There is a mc node in gh2_pal.dtb. Extract gh2_pal.dtb instead of mc.dtb and follow the instructions in the original post, except making the replacements in the mc node of gh2_pal.dtb. That does the trick.

I also found the custom savefile name discussion on page 2 useful. The offset was different in my PAL version, but the string "Guitar Hero II" only appeared once in SLESxxx.xx file so it's not hard to find and replace with another 14 char string.

I'm in Australia - and all this worked for me. I followed the instructions in the original post, replacing the numbers only (ie dont change 'ES' to 'US')., plus the changes in gh2_pal.dtb described above.

I dont know whether this is going to fix John's problem or not, but it may be of help to others trying to put together PAL customs.

Now to try my hand at custom charts...
fume711  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LocalH wrote:
If you're talking about gh2.dtb/rnd(82)/title(83), then that won't work, I already tried it =P

The title as seen in the PS2 browser is "Guitar Hero II". I did a full search through the dtbs and didn't find it. However, I did a search in Hex Workshop through the main elf file, and found the string "Guitar Hero II" at offset 0x3175960, and it is near other memcard-related things, so I may have hit pay dirt. Unfortunately, this may mean that we're limited to 14 characters for our title, but I think we can probably work with that creatively. I'd rather be limited to 14 chars than have to worry about seeing umpteen different "Guitar Hero II" saves and not knowing which is which, especially since the date seen in the browser is last write, not creation. If someone wants to try hacking that, feel free, I'll do it sometime tomorrow if noone beats me to it. Make DOUBLY SURE that you only overwrite, do NOT insert or remove any bytes, this is playing around smack in the middle of the PS2's machine code itself, one byte's addition or removal will most likely cause the whole game to break. If your string is shorter just pad with spaces, if it's longer abbreviate something or choose another title.

which file are you actually opening in hex workshop? and what are you searching for under the "edit->find or goto" menu...i can't seem to find what you guys are editing to change the memory card save file name
CoachP  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys obviously im a newb at all of this but so far have successfully followed all tutorials as expected and havent posted any questions on the board, altho have posted a few thank yous a long the way...

anyways, according to this guide we change the elf name and everything involving a save that points to it. I have read that there is no way to differentiate between a Custom and the original GH2. So my question... is there a way to change the image on a ps2 memory card for the save or change the text description of the save file. Yes i read what was already there and that paydirt may have been found but couldnt find instruction on what to change where to change it what to change it to and which prog to use for the process assuming there is a process.

I havent tried saving after completing this tutorial = trying to save some discs. Thanks guys to everyone in the community extra credit to those mods and elite users who have dedicated much time to this hobby.

I eventually will get around to posing questions about charts and trying to find an easy way to create them but lets try to get this game save thing down for me please.

THANKS AGAIN & Merry Christmas early.
fume711  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same question and pmed LocalH and this was what he told me on where to find the coding to change the save file name

Quote:
The main program file in the root of the disc, which on the NTSC version is the SLUS*.* file. Be careful not to make it longer than what's already there or the game will crash, guaranteed. Also the PS2 browser WILL split whatever name you put in onto two lines as if it still said "Guitar Hero II" so keep that in mind when you pick a name.

so with that in mind, here's brief instructions working off of everyone's previous post (i've just learned how to use this prog yesterday so i'm basically writing what i did as a newbie)

1) download and install "hex workshop" (do a search on yahoo for it)
2) open hex workshop and go to file->open and select SLUS*.* file for NTSC (if you have PAL it would be the PAL equivalent file)
3) go to hex code 0x307618 (also known as base 10 decimal 3175960) - to go to this hex code you can go to edit->find or edit->goto and select hex and type in 307618 or select dec and type in 3175960
4) if the program won't "find" or "goto" the byte number, just scroll down the file until the left side window shows the hex or dec number.
5) you'll know you reached the correct hex/dec number when the right side shows "Guitar Hero II"
6) make sure you are OVERWRITING the byte when you type in your save file name by looking at the bottom right corner of the prog and seeing "OVR" as red - you don't want to insert new bytes into the file as that will definitely mess up your file
7) just type over guitar hero II - ie: someone mentioned typing GH Customized
8) 14 characters max, insert spaces to fill up if you have too little characters - ie: i used " GH Custom1 "

tried it today and worked perfectly!

Last edited by fume711 on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:02 am; edited 2 times in total
fume711  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to make your own custom save icon in the memory card (compiling info from the previous posts)

1) create an image 128x128 through paint or photoshop or any other image editor
2) save the file as a 24-bitmap bmp file
3) download bmp2icon.exe program (do a search on this forum)
4) open bmp2icon.exe and under "input bitmap file" select your *.bmp file
5) under output icon file, choose any directory (ie desktop) and save file name as "gh" (without the quotes)
6) icon type is up to you
7) click convert and now you have a file called gh.icn
8) open ghex and expand to the "mc" directory
9) right click on gh.icn and select replace with your newly created gh.icn file
10) create disc as usual and play to create a save file, you can then check your memory card and now you have your custom save icon

tried it today and worked perfectly
iwasaperson  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the name isnt changing, the icon is, but not the name...
I changed it to "Syslash It Off" with spaces being hex 00 like it is in Guitar.Hero.II if that helps so it looks like Syslash.It.Off
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger PSN Name: iwasaperson
iwasaperson  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fume711 wrote:
LocalH wrote:
If you're talking about gh2.dtb/rnd(82)/title(83), then that won't work, I already tried it =P

The title as seen in the PS2 browser is "Guitar Hero II". I did a full search through the dtbs and didn't find it. However, I did a search in Hex Workshop through the main elf file, and found the string "Guitar Hero II" at offset 0x3175960, and it is near other memcard-related things, so I may have hit pay dirt. Unfortunately, this may mean that we're limited to 14 characters for our title, but I think we can probably work with that creatively. I'd rather be limited to 14 chars than have to worry about seeing umpteen different "Guitar Hero II" saves and not knowing which is which, especially since the date seen in the browser is last write, not creation. If someone wants to try hacking that, feel free, I'll do it sometime tomorrow if noone beats me to it. Make DOUBLY SURE that you only overwrite, do NOT insert or remove any bytes, this is playing around smack in the middle of the PS2's machine code itself, one byte's addition or removal will most likely cause the whole game to break. If your string is shorter just pad with spaces, if it's longer abbreviate something or choose another title.

which file are you actually opening in hex workshop? and what are you searching for under the "edit->find or goto" menu...i can't seem to find what you guys are editing to change the memory card save file name

its the SL*S_***.**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger PSN Name: iwasaperson
iwasaperson  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT:

Last edited by iwasaperson on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
iwasaperson  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT:triple post

Last edited by iwasaperson on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
monkey103  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would let you know...

IF you have the PAL version of the game like I do...

Instead of editing mc.DTB you have to edit GH2_pal.DTB then continue with the rest of the steps as normal

EDIT: Just read above and found that it has already been posted before me...

Oh well and as for the guy having problems with his modding method...

We arn't meant to talk about it...

BUT... try waiting 10 seconds (Time it on a phone stop watch) start the timer when you HEAR the ps2 logo apear and open the drawer when the timer hits 10...

^--- Mod delete that please if its too much against the rules....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what you need to do with the text editor. Can someone explain?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open SYSTEM.CNF with notepad and change the SLUS_***.** to SLUS_666.01 or something.
Xbox 360, Halo edition Jasper RGH1.2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Desertman123
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: