ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Sponsored Scorehero tournament
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wuLFe  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Sponsored Scorehero tournament Reply with quote

Has anybody explored the possibility of having RedOctane/Harmonix sponsor a "scorehero.com" tournament.

Not sure of the specifics, but if they just take the top 16 players, and set up a round robin tournament somewhere (paying for transportation, accomodation, food, etc) it could be a great weekend for all involved.

I mean, speaking from experience, people are pretty amazed and impressed when they watch me play - imagine the reaction they'd have when they saw some of the truly great players (ES, Krimsum, Jhetfield, etc) squaring off against each other...

I don't honestly think they'd go for it, but it seems that the company might have quite a lot to gain from arranging an event catering towards the true fanatics of the game, many who have been coming here and singing this great games praises pretty much since the games release (and some relative n00bz like me ;)). They could even set it up as a spectator sport, and charge people entry to the "Guitar Hero World Championships"

Personally, I'd be willing to pay my own expenses for an event like this (plane ticket, room, board, etc), BUT I know that not all of the forum members are financially independent. I just think it would be really great to compete against a field of players who are on my level (or above it) - the one and only tournament I have competed in (in Mid August) was "GenCon" in Indianapolis, where, in the final round, my opponent couldn't beat "Cowboys From Hell" and failed during the solo. At no stage was I even vaguely worried about not winning, and that's no fun! (well - maybe a little ;))

Anyhow, any thoughts on this - I sincerely doubt that we could make it a reality, but hope springs eternal!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
b3nz0r  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think it's an awesome idea, just everyone's so scattered. Plus it'd have to be during the summer when people aren't in school, and that chance has already passed. If at all we should plan something for next summer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is an amazing idea. If there was a "World Championship" or Red Octane sponsored "Scorehero" tournament like you talked about, I'd even pay for airfare/carfare to get there. It'd be a blast.

They might go for it. I doubt they'd pay for everyone to get there, but it could be a huge PR boost for them if they did have one somewhere at some point.

I'd be all for it. Anyplace, anytime.
MLafer  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like this idea, especially since Guitar Hero 2 has the pro faceoff mode where multiplayer is actually interesting and fair. One problem is that most of the best players aren't even old enough to drive a car

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLafer wrote:
I also like this idea, especially since Guitar Hero 2 has the pro faceoff mode where multiplayer is actually interesting and fair. One problem is that most of the best players aren't even old enough to drive a car

Well.... ES and Krim and Pope aren't, but I think most all of the rest of the top 20 are 16+ and I imagine there's only a couple others (zawisza is all I know of) out of those that aren't 18.

But yes, I realize that's the far and away #1 and #2 players and the current #3 player...
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b3nz0r wrote:
Personally I think it's an awesome idea, just everyone's so scattered. Plus it'd have to be during the summer when people aren't in school, and that chance has already passed. If at all we should plan something for next summer.

I don't know...I mean it seems like a bunch of us really are getting together at Matt's house around Christmas time to play GH and GH2 and many of us are scattered, so I don't see why such a tournament wouldn't be possible.

So count me in. I'm definitely there...a sponsored tournament would be awesome, and I wish there would be some way to get Harmonix/Red Octane to actually listen to us about this and take us seriously. I mean, isn't there anyway we could speak up to them as a community (looks at JCirri)?

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
ES942  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we forgetting about GHOUL?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, GHOUL could be used to get sponsorship and whatnot but still if this were to go down we'd need a location that's best for everyone and a timeframe that is best for the biggest turnout.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHetfield0816 wrote:
b3nz0r wrote:

I don't know...I mean it seems like a bunch of us really are getting together at Matt's house around Christmas time to play GH and GH2 and many of us are scattered, so I don't see why such a tournament wouldn't be possible.

So count me in. I'm definitely there...a sponsored tournament would be awesome, and I wish there would be some way to get Harmonix/Red Octane to actually listen to us about this and take us seriously. I mean, isn't there anyway we could speak up to them as a community (looks at JCirri)?

You know, I'll gladly bring it up to Red Octane. I can be very persuasive (when sober)
wuLFe  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really could be a great event, and it could even be put forward that GHOUL pays for the transportation/accomodation of those top players who are under 18 (I mean, we're probably looking at maximum of 5 in the top 16, right - at most $10000), and the rest of us are on our own with regards to getting and staying there...

I'd still be game - it would be awesome to compete against a bunch of people who actually know what they're doing
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
quackadilly  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go.
thekovinc  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuLFe wrote:
I think it really could be a great event, and it could even be put forward that GHOUL pays for the transportation/accomodation of those top players who are under 18 (I mean, we're probably looking at maximum of 5 in the top 16, right - at most $10000), and the rest of us are on our own with regards to getting and staying there...

I'd still be game - it would be awesome to compete against a bunch of people who actually know what they're doing

Wait, why do the under 18 people get a free ride? I'm not saying I'm against that, but I was just wondering why you thought of that.
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd gain 2 spots and go! :P

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that'd be motivation for me to start playing competitively again and get back up to 16th.

But I doubt Red Octane/Harmonix would fork over more than a couple thousand for the tournament. Also, I believe us guys in college need the most financial support. I have less than $100 in my bank account.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

achat  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dspoonrt wrote:
Also, I believe us guys in college need the most financial support. I have less than $100 in my bank account.

amen to that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: