ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
360 HDR/ARK File Structure (NOT DLC!!!!!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burnination  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: 360 HDR/ARK File Structure (NOT DLC!!!!!) Reply with quote

What this thread is for: To find out everything that we can about the 360 hdr/ark file structure.

Why: To get custom songs on GH 360 (by burning DVDs, NOT DLC!)

How: katamakel has already made some progress on the structure of the files with ghex 0.4.3. If this thread is kept PURELY technical and not littered with spam/"how do i mod my 360?", hopefully we will be able to get further along in our quest for 360 customs.

Stuff we know:

the HDR file is encrypted/obfuscated in some way

If the ARK file is changed the HDR doesnt need to be changed accordingly

GH360 uses midi files for notes

GH360 uses ogg files for music (4 channel)

DLC is NOT possible unless you have your cpu's private/public key which is not possible to get unless your box is pre-4552 update. Even then you would have to do research on how to resign your modified content.

You CAN extract content from DLC using tools that I cannot specify.

Stuff in question:(all for now)

Ark Files do not have any type of signature/encryption

The type of encryption used in the HDR file is similar to Karaoke Revolution's

KRMaker:http://www.geocities.com/krmxbox/

According to angerwound, if we get this to work, we could change the location of the leaderboards to one that doesnt exist, which would preserve the xbl leaderboards.

Your thoughts and comments much appreciated.
nickb611  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was already started, and locked, here:

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8974

Custom Guitar Hero
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: DrumHero89
Burnination  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly. It was locked because because people were flooding it with requests for angerwound to release his method (which he wont). This is completely different. It is an attempt to get the work the katamakel started revived, cause they actually made progress. This thread is an attempt to reverse engineer the X360 ARK/HDR files (mainly the HDR file) so we can rebuild/add/do whatever the hell we want to the ARK file.
tma  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been trying to crack the .HDR file a little while ago. I did look down the Karaoke Revolution path, but it didn't seem to match up.

Some notes:

The 360 .HDR file is about 400k. The .HDR from from the PS2 is about 90k. Why is the Xbox 360 one so much bigger?

Compressing the .HDR file resulted in a size gain. This could suggest that the file is already compressed, or it may just be that the encryption on it is very random. I have tried running the file through a bunch of de-compressors without luck, although that's not too surprising given the file does not appear to have any identifying header. It's possible that the file has been compressed and then encrypted, which makes things even more difficult.

I could find no signs of simple XOR encryption on the file. That's not to say that XOR isn't involved somewhere though.

Using the DTB decrypter doesn't work.

I have yet to examine the game executables for clues, I've been working on some other stuff lately but I'll get back on to this.

I'll just add that I'm not a full-fledged programmer, and thus I have not been able to perform serious in-depth analysis of the file.

Looking at the ARK file, I've managed to pull the midis, oggs, png files, and bmp files from the archive. I was hoping that some kind of DTB file scanner might be run over the archive too, but my limited programming experience has let me down on that front. However, katamakel has mentioned that he's already scanned for them and didn't find any.

Another thing I was thinking of scanning for was the co-op cut-off scores. The co-op cut-off scores are stored in the game files, and if they are in clear text in the file it might be possible to locate them. However, given the makeup of the PS2 archive (encrypted DTB files holding that info), I am not too hopeful of a result.

That's about all I've got at this stage.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
Burnination  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have been examining the ARK file and have been able to pull many of the same files. I may have even found the file for model/scene; it has keywords such as "Emphasis Head Roll" and "Emphasis Head Pitch". Whats weird is that it seems to be specifically for arterial black, as it was found between the mid file and the ogg file. been looking into the hdr file, but it all looks random.
Burnination  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i check in with good news. I can confirm that 360 ark files do NOT have a signature. I edited the arterial black mid file so the guitarist doesn't start playing his guitar...will post videos of original and edited soon! Also, DTB editing seems out of question right now :\ Unless someone can find the offsets of em without the HDR file.

EDIT: nvm bout the videos. crappy camera :|
Burnination  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some good news. Apparently some master hackers over at xboxhacker.net have found a way to decrypt the 360s XEX (executable) file. The bad part is that you need some keys which can only be obtained with a kernel version of 4532 or 4548 :\ Guitar hero has an update for the x360 kernel (v4552). Once you upgrade to this kernel, you cant downgrade, unless special precautions are taken. I'm going to try to contact a person who has the keys (XEX1 and XEX2 keys) to see if they will decrypt it for me ( because it would show the method of compression/encryption on the HDR file (hopefully)). More on this later.
Burnination  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the quadruple post, but I have obtained the XEX keys! I have decrypted the XEX file and am in the process of analyzing it. I have found a couple of references to HDR/ARK so :p
tma  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burnination wrote:
Sorry for the quadruple post, but I have obtained the XEX keys! I have decrypted the XEX file and am in the process of analyzing it. I have found a couple of references to HDR/ARK so :p

Awesome! Keep up the good work, eager to see how it turns out.

PS: please check your PMs.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
Burnination  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMs checked and returned.
tma  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm .. is "ARKHASH" a possibility?
Burnination  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that. Definitely a possibility. I have contacted someone about the IDA Pro plugin.(It's an assembly code viewer) so hopefully we'll find something out with that.
tma  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had an in-depth look at the file yet, but it seems to me like the XEX file itself is a container for other files. In parts it looks like the filenames are in-line with the data, in others it looks like the filenames are separate from the data. It might depend on which section of the XEX file you're looking at.

I think the first thing to focus on is trying to unpack the XEX file into it's component files, then work out the rest from there.
katamakel  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XEX file is the executable file format for Xbox360.
You can just open it in a hex editor, delete everything up until you see "MZ", and rename the file to .exe (no, it's not a valid Windows .exe ).
Open in IDA Pro with CPU type PowerPC (ppc, not ppcl) and just ignore the warnings it gives you (depending on version)..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I look at it.. the ArkHash section is most definitely what we need. It has a string %s.hdr or "string variable".hdr. Only problem is I'm not that great with assembly (lol calculator games). But I've been trying to find where this would be in IDA but for some reason I just can't find it :\

edit: haha just kidding..I just found it :p
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: