ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
360 HDR/ARK File Structure (NOT DLC!!!!!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4zgu7  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: offtopic, I know... Reply with quote

Hi! Very interested in your work! I've been trying to figure out a way to run Karaoke Revolution Party on 'ye olde' xbox in unpacked mode (I think I've figured out the rest - edit the dtb's, make custom mid's with included junk, multi-track OGG files, etc) - it is also a multi-part ARK file with a somewhat strange and large hdr file. The guy who wrote the original KRMaker app also had a tool to unpack the Karaoke Revolution Party files, just not to re-pack it. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use that code (it's JAR, but the source is in the file - just open the JAR in winzip & it's all there) with the BAADBAAD... string as a password to expose the HDR properly, or unpack & expose it to then get to the contents? Might be worth a go.

I used Anvil ( a free download) to edit the midi's - may be worth looking at the 'good' or orignial midi's you have managed to get to see what other track info is in it. May have to insert another track or two to lay in timing info. Hope it helps!
tma  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: offtopic, I know... Reply with quote

N4zgu7 wrote:
Hi! Very interested in your work! I've been trying to figure out a way to run Karaoke Revolution Party on 'ye olde' xbox in unpacked mode (I think I've figured out the rest - edit the dtb's, make custom mid's with included junk, multi-track OGG files, etc) - it is also a multi-part ARK file with a somewhat strange and large hdr file. The guy who wrote the original KRMaker app also had a tool to unpack the Karaoke Revolution Party files, just not to re-pack it. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use that code (it's JAR, but the source is in the file - just open the JAR in winzip & it's all there) with the BAADBAAD... string as a password to expose the HDR properly, or unpack & expose it to then get to the contents? Might be worth a go.

KR Maker and KRpUnpacker can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/krmxbox/

I had a look at the code, and the only references to encrypt I can see are to do with .dtb files, which we already know how to crack. The hdr/ark parsing is probably the same as ARK Expander, and doesn't really help us. My test run didn't succeed.

Oh well, it was a good thought, and thanks for your input, it's much appreciated.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
tma  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tma wrote:
If the DLC packs are anything to go by, the 360 songs definitely have DTB files (all the DLC packs so far have DTB files). The problem is extracting them from the ARK without the HDR, given that they don't stand out (no magic string, as such).

Correction : the DLC packs have cleartext .DTA files, not the encrypted .DTB files.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
kevnin  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had success using extracted files from the DLC packs in a custom ps2 disk? Or by placing the files into the 360 disk?
Burnination  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting stuff. Gorby great job. Writing a prog for injecting wouldn't be hard at all. Just a matter of manually getting offsets/size for the songs.

To angerwound: yeah, Im not the greatest assembly person :\ If anyone else wants a try, ask tma or me.

to kevnin: The files are easily extractable using wxPirs once you hook up your xb hd. But this is not the place to describe how to do it.

the problem with the dtb files is the file sizes. But it would be cool to be able to edit all that stuff.

hey gorby, one quick question: what hex editor do you use? because i tried using Hex Workshop, but it crashed when i tried to save the ark file (too big i guess?) of course it was being run in vmware..but it had atleast 1 gig of ram dedicated to it...

edit: I've tried to add a song before but the game crashed due to not enough channels in the ogg file :\
Gorby  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burnination wrote:
Very interesting stuff. Gorby great job. Writing a prog for injecting wouldn't be hard at all. Just a matter of manually getting offsets/size for the songs.

Yep, injecting is just a matter of manually searching all the start adresses and their lenght, then overwrite those areas byte by byte. The biggest problem is getting the mid and ogg to a suitable format.

Quote:

hey gorby, one quick question: what hex editor do you use? because i tried using Hex Workshop, but it crashed when i tried to save the ark file (too big i guess?) of course it was being run in vmware..but it had atleast 1 gig of ram dedicated to it...

edit: I've tried to add a song before but the game crashed due to not enough channels in the ogg file :\

I had the same problem as you, it took some time to find an ok editor simply because most of them couldn't open a 2 gig file without crashing.
I ended up with Hex Workshop too. I changed the settings to edit directly into the ark file ('expert mode' or similar) and not save it as a second file, just make sure you insert things correctly because you can't undo bigger changes.

Oh, and by the way...after alot of trial and error I finally got a custom midi to boot this evening !!

I've just made another dvd to verify that it can be repeated with other mid's, haven't had the time to test it yet though.

Also halfway through coding a simpler GUI for this.

Edit: After testing the latest dvd I now could play three completely custom songs (ogg+mid), this roxx ! Will get back with more details and perhaps a video later.

There is only one problem right now, some mid's that "should" work doesn't (hang while loading song) and I don't really know why. Will have to try investigate this more. I guess its because some mid's either is missing some needed info or that they contain ps2 specific events/track chunks that isn't valid on the 360.

Last edited by Gorby on Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Finalizer  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in other words, the 360 has finally seen the light of custom songs?

'Grats man, I've got a friend who'll be very happy to see this!

Oh snap son | Finalizer's Custom charts | Attention Internet: Before you use the word "Awesome", consider using this first.
Gorby  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finalizer wrote:
So, in other words, the 360 has finally seen the light of custom songs?

'Grats man, I've got a friend who'll be very happy to see this!

Yes, but with some limitations. The ps2 archive header isnt obfuscated as the 360 one is, so while it is possible to get custom songs in now we still can't do everything that is possible on the ps2 (like we cannot edit the names of the songs and the custom songs cant be bigger than the original songs). Also, there are some quirks that needs some more investigation, like why some custom mids work fine and others hang when loading.

I'm kind of satisfied with the ability to play new songs though, getting really tired of the old ones.

Last edited by Gorby on Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Finalizer  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I figured it wouldn't be anything like customs on the PS2. What you described earlier sounds more like how songs were done with GH-Utils to me, but it's far better than no custom songs by a long shot.

(Just as a note, I personally have the PS2 version, but I have a friend whose been kinda itchin to get some new tracks, but has been 'stuck' with a 360. )

Oh snap son | Finalizer's Custom charts | Attention Internet: Before you use the word "Awesome", consider using this first.
tma  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is outside the aim of this process, and it's bordering on describing how to perform copyright infringement, I'll be brief.

kevnin wrote:
Has anyone had success using extracted files from the DLC packs in a custom ps2 disk?

No, and I think the likelihood that anyone will write a tool to do this is low, because the only reason you would want to do this is to steal the DLC tracks. ScoreHero is very strongly against this, and threads like this one will get closed down very quickly if we start going down that path.

kevnin wrote:
Or by placing the files into the 360 disk?

I can't see why that wouldn't work, however the same rule applies: other than for testing purposes, there is no valid reason to do this besides stealing the DLC tracks, and is not something I or ScoreHero condone in any way, shape or form.
Finalizer  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it might not be for stealing outright. Plenty of people have ripped the songs from GH1 to put on a GH2 disc simply to make the songs more playable, and as long as that person owns their copy of GH1 and doesn't distribute the custom disc, nothing illegal about it.

...Of course, there's no really good reason to need to extract the songs off the 360 version other than to redistribute them, so your point is still valid. (Maybe they wanna be able to squeeze? )

tma  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finalizer wrote:
Well, it might not be for stealing outright. Plenty of people have ripped the songs from GH1 to put on a GH2 disc simply to make the songs more playable, and as long as that person owns their copy of GH1 and doesn't distribute the custom disc, nothing illegal about it.

...Of course, there's no really good reason to need to extract the songs off the 360 version other than to redistribute them, so your point is still valid. (Maybe they wanna be able to squeeze? )

I have a 360, and I can squeeze. Granted, I had to modify my guitar, but hey...
kevnin  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tma:

I was merely curious, as there have been lots of great discoveries of late. My older bro (who is now in college, away from home) has xbox360 guitar hero, I have a modded ps2 with guitar hero I and II, and I have personally placed gh1 songs like BatM on my gh2 custom, and was curious if it was possible to use the DLC packs on a custom (BatM with Coop!) But, I understand your concern, and I suppose you're right, it probably doesn't have a place on this forum. But thanks for giving your thoughts. [/i]
Gorby  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short update:

I'm almost finished with the program, it has got a nice GUI and will make replacing files really easy

It's just a little bit more coding to do, plus I haven't fetched all of the needed addresses from inside the .ark yet. When that is done ( guessing in 1-2 days depending on IRL stuff) the tool will be done.

The issue of why some custom mid files work and others hang when loading song isn't solved yet. Hopefully some people can help and contribute to this when the tool is done and people can try stuff out easily themselves. This problem isn't related to my injector tool anyway so we can solve it later

edit: Still haven't got the time to try make a video of me playing a custom song, coding the tool has sofar got higher priority...

Last edited by Gorby on Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Finalizer  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, now I feel excited over this whole thing, and it really doesn't help me out at all in the end! Guess the excitement must be contagious...

You'll be making many a 360 owner very happy with this when you're done, I gotta tell ya!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: