ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH2 - S5 - XH Playoff Thread - Winners:psxfreak/overlordandm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walford  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's interesting! I never knew Cam and Brock were brothers! It'd be something to see them both win the championship, although they are in very tough.
overlordandm  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you suck at the song doesnt mean you have to give up. I mean, I played this song for like ever and hated myself because I had the log but couldnt 5 star Six on hard. I felt pitiful. I practiced it for a while and on my second try after that I 5 starred it. although i have yet to use a star power path on it I do have a pretty high score and it could be much higher. Ive only played the song once since i 5 starred it.(Second week in the league i think) But since you and Cam know each other you could help each other out. figure out how to do a part. it would definately be more fun than most of us considering that you guys have someone to help you out. I definately wish I had someone who could play remotely close to as well as I do around the area. All I have are my two brothers who cant get 5 stars on a hard song for their life, wouldnt even think about playing on expert. and cant get past any 7th or 8th tier hard song without me "playing this part for them." so I think you guys could pull together and make a great end to the season. I dont really care who wins that much considering all the playing skill Ive gained just being in the league. Its just fun once in a while to have healthy competition.

Overlordandm,
Joseph
psxfreak101  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I'll mention is that my 360 hasn't actually been able to get online in the past few days. Funnily enough, the last time I was online was just before I FCed The Trooper. A mini-curse perhaps? >_>

Secondly, I do hope you both bring your a game to these finals, regardless of how your respective opponents are at this song (although I assume you both will ). You'll be quite surprised how a song can just suddenly click after constant play through. It was my last 5* AND my last 6* on the PS2 (not the last 7* though, H18 has that distinction). Solo suddenly clicked for me one day, and lo and behold the next day FC first run.

Anywho, good luck guys. Hopefully you can both get something out of this final, even if it is just a surprising improvement or something like that. Would be cool to see both brothers take it out, but of course I have something to say about that :P

Edit: Hmm... me thinks I should've left the 360 offline >_>

*goes to PM score to elx*
Accomplishments (Latest: GHM FCs #19-#30: Lots Of Stuff!) | My videos

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: psxfreak101
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited on 5/26/08

HUGE EDIT: I told myself I would do this if it ever happened so click this! I was going to just make another post in this thread, but I don't know if it's frowned upon to necro somewhat old threads in the Past Seasons in the Leagues forum. Anyway, I figured this was the best post to edit, but I doubt anyone will ever read it. If you are reading this, please pm me and let me know because it'll be cool to see that someone read it . And tell me whether you found this through the link in my Acc. Thread or you just happened to come across it while searching through old thread. This concludes my edit and my I say that even after over a month, this FC is still feeling pretty good .

Original post:

Question to psx and pretty much anyone else that downstrums close to everything: Do you alt. strum anything in Six?

I down strum all of Trippin', the verses in PP(LL), and and anyhting else that's slower than the greens in Caught in a Mosh. But downstrumming all of Six really tires me out but it's either that or I get 3*. I can't keep a streak going during the verses in Six but I sometimes can during the choruses, which is where I use sp. There's no point in following a certain star path because I can maybe hit half of the phrases.

That leads me to another question (sorry about the mini-rant). Why are there no goddamn HOPO notes in this song!?

In most songs, parts that go (verse 2b) all you have to do is hold down green and just press and release the other buttons, but in Six you have to strum every note, which is hard to do downstrumming.

Then there's this You see this during the chorus and the bridge. These notes are fairly close together, so you figure you chould be able to hammer-on the blues and yellows, and in the bridge you can, which is great, but for whatever reason they didn't want us to be able to do it during the entire song, just that one part.

AND FINALLY: THE SOLO

Ahhh yes... the solo. I must admit it is pretty cool and extremely fun to play in practice mode IMO. But something seems a bit off about it. What could it be, hmmmmmmm......... Oh yeah, IT'S THE SAME FUCKIN' SOLO AS EXPERT!! Oh, I can see now how things went down at harmonix...

Employee 1: Holy shit, we've got to ship all these gh2's out in 1 hour and nobody made a solo for Six hard!

Employee 2: Oh no! We need to tell someone right away, unless...

Employee 1: Unless?

Employee 2: yes...yes, of course! All we need to do is take the expert solo and put in the hard version of the song. We already made this song much harder than it needs to be anyway.

Employee 1: I don't know... Last time I listened to you we put twice as many notes at the end of the Trogdor solo because you thought it would be funny.

Employee 2: It WAS funny!!! Anyway do what I say before it's too late. And while you're at it, change every HOPO note in the song so that you have to strum it.

Employee 1: Every note?

Employee 2: Well, leave the bridge the way it is, we gotta give them something.

And that's exactly what happened that awful day, and that is why I wrote this completely unnecessary reply in this thread, and I'm just now realizing what little relevance this has to anything, but I took the time to write so you're going to read it, unless you don't feel like, than it's okay.

I really don't swear that much, but now you see what a fuckin song can do to a person.

IN CONCLUSION Should I alt. strum anything? Any other tips from those good at the song? I'll still bring my A game psx, but, in all honestly, get 250k and submit your score. That's more than enough because I'm aiming for ~230k right now.

And that ends whatever you call this reply. A rant? A reply asking for help? An educational piece of reading? I'd go with the third choice, but that's just me. Anyway, those are my feelings and it's been a blast this season and the better player did win (don't give me that, you know you'll win).

Last edited by Brockbfball1563 on Tue May 27, 2008 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vVv Brock
psxfreak101  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll happily help, although I'm not sure how much help I can be, considering I still downstrum CiaM as well >_>

Quote:
Question to psx and pretty much anyone else that downstrums close to everything: Do you alt. strum anything in Six?
I downstrum the entire song. No if, and, buts or maybe. It doesn't go fast enough for me to alt-strum at all. Misirlou-esque speed is what I need in order to feel like alt-strumming stuff.

Quote:
Oh yeah, IT'S THE SAME FUCKIN' SOLO AS EXPERT!! Oh, I can see now how things went down at harmonix...
To be fair, there's one note difference between hard and expert. Granted, that's in the slower part of the solo, but still :P

Random other things that I do:

For that alternating G section that you mention (verse 2), I anchor my finger on index for that whole section except for, strangely enough, the BYRG bit, where I let go of G. I don't know why my fingers do that, but apparently that's enough to get past it without my brain having an apparent hissy fit. And then I do exactly the same when it goes to the alternating R bit.

For the solo itself, I don't actually anchor my finger on G like others that can hit it do. I just have my fingers in the regular position (index on R) and just stretch to G when need be.

Oh, and the lack of HOPO does piss me off in this song too. Love how HOPO only exist in arguably the easiest part of the song (just after the break), and then the hardest part.

Anywho, as I said, score's already in. Got what I wanted out of the song this morning. You probably wouldn't like to hear what I was averaging this morning Brock >_>

One thing I am intrigued about is how this season would've gone if SirCuddles was able to stick it out. That would've made just that bit more interesting than it already has been.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: psxfreak101
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psxfreak101 wrote:
Anywho, as I said, score's already in. Got what I wanted out of the song this morning. You probably wouldn't like to hear what I was averaging this morning Brock >_>

Yeah I already saw what you got (couldn't believe you beat your ps2 score). I know it's not as fun when I already know what you got, but that really doesn't make a difference with this song. If I can close the gap so that the difference between our scores is < 100k, I'll see it as a victory for me (I'll take what I can get )

psxfreak101 wrote:
One thing I am intrigued about is how this season would've gone if SirCuddles was able to stick it out. That would've made just that bit more interesting than it already has been.

I'm even more intrigued about how badly you would've beaten everyone if you weren't in the open hard league at the same time. While you were worrying about all things ps2, I managed to pull away from you a little bit in the rankings, but we both know it'll only take a few days for you to sit and completely annihilate a lot of my scores. If you look at the rankings, if I had your Six score, I'd be in 2nd place and just 100k away from the incredible 20 mil. Maybe someday...

EDIT: By the way, please tell us where you get all your money and how old you are. You donated $340.00 to this website and "375 games and counting" is pretty impressive. I ask how old you are because only someone old enough to get a decent job could afford all that (unless your parents are doing pretty well) and I always pictured you ~17-18.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vVv Brock
psxfreak101  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I was actually squeezing on here, as opposed to the PS2 where I was just content getting the FC (speaking of which, I'm currently working on bumping up that Six score as a bit of a warm-up to H18 >_>).

Yeah, I could spend a bit more time on the 360 and get a ranking that would be, I suppose, more fitting for me, but for whatever reason I'm too lazy to put in a serious effort into the 360, especially now with the 80s in my hand (boy am I sucking that bad...). I also lol at having 3 1sts on Furious Fretworks and having the other 3 songs without FCs (2 of which I should already have FCs on).

Oh. I'm 21 and still living at home with the parentals. Because of that I don't have much to pay for outside of rent and sometimes other things like our pay tv and internet (I'm majority user of the internet here at home, so I usually just pay for the lot). Reasonably nice paying job (not that money has ever been much of an issue to me), so I can usually get away with buying games almost at will and donating whenever

overlordandm  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg how do u seriously downstrum the whole song i must suck at d-strumming or not do it the way you do. i can fc everything but the solo. i think ive hit it twice on full speed
psxfreak101  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my thumb to downstrum everything. What got me to learn to downstrum was the fact that I never learned to alt strum until, I think, Misirlou in GH2. Spent the entirety of GH1 just downstrumming EVERYTHING, and most of GH2 doing the same. Because of this, I really can't alt-strum anything that goes at the speed of, say, most of Six for example (well, apart from the intro/outro on expert heh).

Also for that reason, I can't alt-strum BatH on expert, which makes me a sad panda because I really want a higher score on that. Instead, I end up downstrumming that bitch, and I can maintain a combo for about the first half of the first verse, and then the arm starts to give way and hello plink-city.

overlordandm  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do it with my thumb too, but I just cant see how you go that fast. I learned to alt-strum when I got to like Freya on hard. I used to think that was too fast to d-strum so now I only alt strum that. But downstrumming Six? I used to try to downstrum that and always managed a 3 star. I have to admit that it took a while to learn to alt strum. but now I alt strum parts alot of people would find easy to downstrum. even on hard rock the 80s I downstrum the beginning of hold on loosely. after i learned to alt strum i kind of stuck to it. I think if i stuck to downstrumming I would be alot better at it but as soon as i started alt strumming i stuck to it as much as possible. I guess thats another reason it didnt take me very many tries to 5 star misirlou on expert.
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downstrum everything simply because I seem to have no rhythm when I alt. strum slower sections of songs. BatH, for example, I can do fairly well because I know how fast and how many times I should strum. I just think to myself "four greens, chord. four greens, chord. two greens, chord." I now wish that I started alt. strumming everything from when I started playing like Legleg and (I think) Lo7. But it's too late now, but that's the reason I can't even four star Six expert.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm not in this but I got a strategy guide for six on hard somewhere in technique syle and gameplay if you guys want. It's somewhere on the second page.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Benedettosoxfan
Send me a request!
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedettosoxfan wrote:
I know I'm not in this but I got a strategy guide for six on hard somewhere in technique syle and gameplay if you guys want. It's somewhere on the second page.

Thanks for the guide. It did help a little. It's just going to take me much longer than I have to get good at it, unfortunately . Oh well, there's always next season .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guide pretty much listed exacly what I do during the song.( except I can hit all sp phrases and can do all the verses) that is exactly how i got 5-stars but I alt-strummed so w/e it could work for donwstrumming. Its a good guide to go for 5-stars. a good reference if you havent 5 starred it yet but in my case it wouldnt help much considering im going for a high score. (BTW I can finally hit the solo pretty much 100% of the time on slow now, hey its a step) But it would be perfectly reasonnable looking at Cam101s score and maybe some tips helpful for Brock.
ArbySauce  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know when the next season will start? I really want to get into the league and I don't want to miss the sign up period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: