Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
I Love Rock & Roll
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCirri  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: I Love Rock & Roll Reply with quote

Note Chart | Mirror

New Chart

Last edited by JCirri on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: JCirri821 Wii Friend Code: 1455611809021899
voodoochild  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Star Power Usage Reply with quote

So, just wanted to post my current star power usage for I Love Rock & Roll on Hard and see if there was any way to improve it (there must be some way to improve it since Javman has about 300 points better than I...)

Firstly, I am going to refer to a doctored note chart for more clarity in which star power notes I may be talking about. Please take a look at it to fully understand this post.

Star Power notes have been numbered 1-10 and are highlighted in light orange. Star Power usage has been labled A-E and is highlighted in light blue.

I pick up star notes 1 and 2, using the wammy bar for the length of the 2 hold.

I activate my star power A just before the pause ends which takes me through to star power notes 3.

I pick up 3 and 4 and activate star power B immediately so that it will run out exactly on the held note 5.

I wammy 5 to get just above half star power and use it on the first note after the pause. Star Power C runs out a few chords before 6.

I pick up 6, 7, and 8 and wammy until I am nearly full. I activate star power D in the middle of that held note so that it runs out in time for star notes 9. (This is the part I am most unsure about as it seems rather wasteful to use a star power over that extended break.)

I pick up 9 and 10 quite a ways later and activate E on the next chords.

With this exact method I have gotten a 132,433, currently second to Javman by a few hundred points.

So, how can this be improved? (I'm looking at you JCirri... :P)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice chart. Ideally, we'd like to have something like this for every song to refer to and work on as a group .

I can't really comment on the SP use, I just wanted to praise the pretty picture.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echelar wrote:
Very nice chart. Ideally, we'd like to have something like this for every song to refer to and work on as a group .

I can't really comment on the SP use, I just wanted to praise the pretty picture.

Heh, thanks, though it's really nothing more than some selection boxes and text on top of the spiffy note chart from purplefrog.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but still, it's a nice way to practice solo's out of the game, i think
rabies  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooooh!

No tips on that song from here either..but I also want to chime in and say your doctored photo is perfect! Lets hope this idea takes off.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job graphically showing your strategy.

As far as improving your score, it looks like your strategy (star power path) is fairly optimal. So in order to squeeze out more points, I'd recommend following some general tips regarding SP use (if you aren't already doing so). The way I see it, there are three categories of SP uses:

1.) The most common, where you activate SP during a section to get the most points possible without being restricted by the next SP combo.
2.) Activating SP at a time such that it runs out exactly before the next SP combo begins.
3.) Activating SP in the middle of a hold.

There are times when these categories will overlap, but this is a general way of breaking them down for analysis.

It looks like C and E fall into category 1.
A and B are category 2 uses.
And D falls into categories 2 and 3.

The best way to execute category 1 is to activate the SP as late as possible (even after the first target note has passed), then hit the first note late, after activating SP, but still within its allowable timing window. Then as the SP meter has almost ran out, rush the notes hitting them as early as possible to squeeze in an extra note (or in some songs, 2 or more) before it deactivates. If the extra note is a chord you'll gain an extra 400 points each time you do this. In "C", it looks like you might be able to get the next GY chord under SP with this technique (but I'm not sure).

With category two, you'll want to do the opposite and activate SP as early as possible such that it runs out at the beginning of the allowable timing window for the last note before the next SP combo (so you can hit the last note under SP by rushing it). Also, if you can delay hitting any notes upon SP activation to get them under SP, you should do so.

Category three requires some analysis to figure out the best place to activate. You need to balance the points gained under SP during the remaining part of the hold vs. how many notes you can hit after the hold. In this song, D's use is limited by the next SP combo, so I would actually apply this to category two and activate as early as possible in the hold so you can still hit the last G before the starred GY chord.

I've gotten to a point where I've taught myself to automatically follow these techniques everytime I use SP. But I haven't actually tried to maximize my score on this song yet, so I apologize if my information is too generalized to be helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, a couple of days ago I was thinking about highlighting the different areas where star power should be collected and used, good to see that someone has beaten me to it.

I'll have to try and boost my score on this later.

geo  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tried this way of doing the song, i think you just arent getting enough points from the whammy bar. mine is slightly busted, so mine sometimes does it on its own. Mr. Green
Sully  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone cares- I'm pretty sure that JC's score (133637) is indeed optimal. I got the same score twice in a row and it was exactly 1200 points less than his (132437). I probably missed three chord squeezes for 400 points each.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: I got another tick on the last note, putting me at four points above the old high score. I don't know if it's optimal yet or not, but I wouldn't expect any more than one tick to be left, if that.
02BlackWS6  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brites wrote:
EDIT: I got another tick on the last note, putting me at four points above the old high score. I don't know if it's optimal yet or not, but I wouldn't expect any more than one tick to be left, if that.

To answer your question 1 more tick is possible:

It took me many runs of missing the last note but I finally got it. Thank you brites.

cwo04  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the path is 2-2-1-5? by looking at the chart thats what i see ...

thedrunkenkovinc wrote:
"That IS how ScoreHero...much more than WoWHero...fucking pussy WoW......do it."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rude95841  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used that path and got 132829 twice and the other path posted earlier got me 131369 so i think the second path posted here is best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gibertram  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot for the path voodoo child. got 132279 with it. currently 78th. also my first top 100!! check out the pic

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z275/Gibertram/IMG_0002-4.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: SH Gi83rtr4m
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Guitar Hero -> Hard All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: