ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GameStop In-Store Tournament (Select Stores) - Feb 3, 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kriller  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats it
Telal  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I showed up to mine it was me and one 10 year old kid, who couldn't play easy very well..

I talked to the manager, we didn't do the competition but the manager gave the kid a bunch of free promotional things for showing up.
youhas  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLafer wrote:
So basically, single elim sucks and I need to play on normal speed more so that I can stay used to both.

Same here, yo. Exact same problems for me. (Came within 500 points of losing out in the first round to a good-but-not-as-good-as-me guy 'cuz I was adapting to the laggy little screen. Single elim sucks so hard.)

wuLFe wrote:
Anyhow, I'm starting to think that the only way we'll ever get anything GOOD going in the GH world is to do it ourselves (taking a page from the book of Sephi, as his tourneys seem to be pretty damn awesome).

Ain't it the truth? Here in Northern California, the GameStop tournament has been the only tournament option that would not involve six hours' worth of driving. (Though there's one later this month that's "only" 90 minutes' drive away. Guh.) Between that and the fact that half the tournaments out there have no idea what they're doing, seems like "invite all talented locals over to my apartment and watch them rock the shit out of everything" seems to be the path of least resistance....

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Emptyeye  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuLFe wrote:

Anyhow, I'm starting to think that the only way we'll ever get anything GOOD going in the GH world is to do it ourselves (taking a page from the book of Sephi, as his tourneys seem to be pretty damn awesome).

I think I suggested something like this (Although I admittedly left out the "we should do it ourselves" part) on about page 15 or so.

But in any event, I totally agree that the best way to do it would be effectively "By the enthusiasts, for the enthusiasts".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came in 2nd at the Asheville, NC tourney, but it was set up terrible. Me and the other guy wouldve both failed jordan if it was on single player, and i am confident i could have beat him at least SOME other song. I think we both knew it was gonna be luckiest man wins. But all in all, i had fun. If we really are trying to set up some national regions, that would be awesome. I don't know alot of people from my region that are on SH.

At least 2nd place at my gamestop got the shirt. Woo Hoo!!
TigerHawk310  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a fairly crowded tourney at the Manhattan 1st Ave. Gamestop--14 players.

Round 1: 14 players, Who Was In My Room Last Night? on Medium, top 8 scores continue

Round 2: 8 players, the group chose Thunderhorse over BatH on Hard (mostly for time reasons), top 4 continue

Round 3: 4 players, the group chose PF over Six on Hard, top 2 continue

Round 4: Each player chooses 1 song on Expert, best combined score wins.

Silly me--I should have pushed for Six in round 3 to keep my opponent from picking it in the final. I made it to the final despite having one of my worst PF runs ever, but Six is my Achilles Heel (280K-160K loss). I then lost on Freebird 450K-430K, for 2nd place and a $10 gift card. 1st place was a $20 gift card and the T-shirt. This breaks my undefeated streak and brings my tourney record to 3 wins and 1 2nd place.

The only major problem was that the manager on the phone yesterday told me it was at 1 PM when it was actually at 5, and I spent 4 hours at Gamestop playing through Expert songs. I don't think it helped.
CloudFuel  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I lost the Woodlands tourney, but won the Conroe one! Conroe tourney was similar to Woodlands tourney in that we all picked a song and played it... guy 1 picked Six... lost... Guy 2 picked Laid To Rest... lost... I picked Jordan.. won... then played some other guy on Kitn and womped out a BETTER score than I had initially planned for League A... previous was 370K new best is 4XXK..

So I missed out on the free wireless guitar... but still got a shirt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
Adamallica  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played. I Conquered. Though it was way too easy....

My Gamestop had 8 people, but I felt like I was way above everybody. I was the only one there that can pass Jordan. Even in the last round, they let the other guy pick songs that he wanted, but I crushed him pretty badly. The round before that, I got 296,000 on Jordan and the guy I was playing with only had 170,000. It was fun, but I almost felt bad because everyone else was not very good.

Kriller - which Gamestop did you go to? I was thinking about going to Fountain Valley because I thought you might be there, but went to South Coast Plaza instead (I'm a lazy driver). Wish I went...seems like you had better competition there....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudFuel wrote:
So I missed out on the free wireless guitar... but still got a shirt

Consider yourself lucky.

Every wireless guitar inevitably sucks horribly. No exceptions.
Anthony  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony wrote:
I just saw this today. I was playing Psychobilly Freakout and the store manager was watching me play. He told me about the tournament and said I'd probably win (even though I just barely passed the song).

That's a weird coincidence since I won the tournament on Psychobilly Freakout.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy about the tournament I went to, real happy actually. Got to face against some really skilled guys (I was shaking the entire time!)

The last guy I had to beat told me about this site.. so I registered and here I am.
rhkmb1120  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which gamestop were you at perfect? I told some guys at the Asheville one about this site, I wonder if they checked it out.
youhas  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made sure to give gratuitous ScoreHero mentioning to all the top players I met at the tourney, too. ("Well, sure, I always thought I was pretty good, but then I discovered this one website....")

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
BAD  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adamallica wrote:
I played. I Conquered. Though it was way too easy....

Kriller - which Gamestop did you go to? I was thinking about going to Fountain Valley because I thought you might be there, but went to South Coast Plaza instead (I'm a lazy driver). Wish I went...seems like you had better competition there....

Shit. There was one at South Coast? I would have gone if I knew about it...we could have battled and it would have been epic.
BigSwifty  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: I got second Reply with quote

I finished second at EB in northeast Montgomery, AL. There were eight people signed up, but my first round opponent wasn't there, so I got a bye. It was single elimination, pro face-off, and the manager picked the song for each round. The first round was all hard songs, and the rest were expert songs. I believe it was Hangar 18 on hard (the eventual winner won by a score of about 240K to 120K), then two people played Jordan (I think it was 41K to 37K), and the last first round match was PF (similar low scores to Jordan).

In the semis, the first match featured the eventual winner in a romp playing Thunderhorse on expert (I think he got 140K or so ), and then I finally got to play. They gave us YYZ expert, and I only scored about 150K, but the guy I played against only got about 20K. Strangely enough, my semifinal match was the only one where the player on the left side of the screen came out on top. Neither guitar had a strap, and the whammy bar on one guitar had no spring to it.

In the final, the manager picked Free Bird. I was scratching my nose and missed the first note but we both FC'd after that until the song got fun to play. The other folks watching seemed to really enjoy the match, since we were within a few thousand points of each other until solo C or so. Then I choked so badly! I lost 380K to 320K. The winner got the T-shirt pictured above, and I got the poster.

Even though I only got to play two songs on this 100+ mile round trip, I still had fun. The first thing I did when I got home was fire up GH2 and play Free Bird. I scored almost 460K. I just wish I'd have played better at the tournament so the final could have been closer.

Today really made me want to organize my own tournament. I know there are people who can hold their own on expert in my town (Auburn, AL), but I don't know if anyone else has unlocked the log. It'll take a Guitar Hero party to find out for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: