ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar Hero III Review, Need Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurina  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Guitar Hero III Review, Need Help! Reply with quote

Hey, I'm in desperate need of help. I have a review for GHIII due on Friday for my school paper, and I've got writers block on which way to go and what to explain for the review. What I've got so far:

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Review

My fingers push down on the brightly colored buttons. I grip the strumming bar between my thumb and index finger. "The Metal" by Tenacious D is playing, and notes are flying by on the screen as I franticly try to play them in rhythm. I lift the wireless, Gibson Les Paul guitar controller up and give a rockstar scream. My TV flashes neon blue and the crowd goes wild. My initial impression with Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, was a positive one, no doubt.

Any ideas?
Sonic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GH III:

ROCK N' ROLL ALL NIGHT AND PARTY EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!

ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW!!!!!!
DontFret  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its really cheesy to do the whole I do this and i do that article i dunno just my two cents
Magnet  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that review sounds incredibly tacky. Like, it hurts to read.
zYgote  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a review or a descriptive paragraph, lol? And do you even have the game?
Kant  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tacky it's really uncomfortable to read. Why be so over the top? Read some regular game reviews and just mold it to language of guitar hero. If they start talking about new features and when they start talking about the downsides you start talking about the downsides.

When you have 29879582735 different video game review sites, finding an article to mold your review around shouldn't be that hard.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice:

1. Go pick up a copy of a music magazine: Rolling Stone or Spin will do. Read all of the reviews. Notice that most of the reviews avoid any sort of fanboyism or first-person anecdotes.
2. Go pick up a copy of a gaming magazine: EGM or Game Informer will do. Read all of the reviews.
3. Do NOT read a bunch of reviews for Guitar Hero games; you will probably find it hard to come up with anything fresh and may be tempted to "borrow" ideas. Try to learn from the writing styles in the magazines you have picked up for professional examples, but find your own voice.
4. Do some research. I'd probably mention Rock Band and the fact that GHIII was developed by a different developer than the first two games and assess how this effects the experience.
5. Keep it brief. When you write for a paper, you most certainly have less space than you would like and your audience has a limited attention span.
6. Remember your audience. Not all of them even know what Guitar Hero is and may have a more limited musical vantage point than you do. You'll be writing for some die-hard fans, but the number of casual fans and non-fans will outnumber them greatly.
7. Be objective (don't be a fanboy). This is worth stating again: To be taken seriously, be as objective as possible. Don't take this as an accusation, I just assume that it will be easy to head in that direction if you take too much advice from the biggest GH fan site on the internet.

You have good writing skills compared to most of the people I knew in high school. It's kind of sad, but you also have better writing skills than far too many of the people I knew in college. Hang in there and you'll have a great review.
RedTsunami  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kant wrote:
So tacky it's really uncomfortable to read. Why be so over the top? Read some regular game reviews and just mold it to language of guitar hero. If they start talking about new features and when they start talking about the downsides you start talking about the downsides.

When you have 29879582735 different video game review sites, finding an article to mold your review around shouldn't be that hard.

hm. I remember I used to write like that, so the teacher could "see what I'm all about". And they wouldn't correct it, so I had to correct it myself.

If I was you, I would make it...softer. Like, where I am not 100% sure of your opinion by the end of the intro paragraph. But like that other guy said: "Why be so over the top?"

You're sick.
1. [] 5* TtFatF (only 4* so far)
2. [X] Beat expert drums before kick pedal breaks.
3. [X] Beat expert 5* guitar (Nov 3rd, 2007)
4. X[] Get sigged (WOOT! [damn, I missed])
SIG COUNT: 3 times! <o_0<
Spot2004  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zYgote wrote:
Is this a review or a descriptive paragraph, lol? And do you even have the game?

This is exactly what I thought.
[x] 420/420* - Endless Setlist 2
[ ] G* Rude Mood
Customs/Previews (8/1)
Newest: Nottingham Lace - Buckethead
Preview: Hearts Burst Into Fire - Bullet for My Valentine
7eventy7even  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Guitar Hero III Review, Need Help! Reply with quote

Maurina wrote:
Hey, I'm in desperate need of help. I have a review for GHIII due on Friday for my school paper, and I've got writers block on which way to go and what to explain for the review. What I've got so far:

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Review

My fingers push down on the brightly colored buttons. I grip the strumming bar between my thumb and index finger. "The Metal" by Tenacious D is playing, and notes are flying by on the screen as I franticly try to play them in rhythm. I lift the wireless, Gibson Les Paul guitar controller up and give a rockstar scream. My TV flashes neon blue and the crowd goes wild. My initial impression with Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, was a positive one, no doubt.

Any ideas?

Meh i don't like it, but if it's a high school paper it's not too important. The whole intro is too silly IMO. Get to the point. Don't try to be artistic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ASK PSN Name: denied
p41  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot2004 wrote:
zYgote wrote:

This is exactly what I thought.

Yeah, he should probably review a game that's OUT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: