SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GTJem's Painting Guide
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLdemon137 wrote:
i used 220 sandpaper with water and after about 30 minutes of sanding, wiping, sanding, wiping, scraping, sanding. wiping and checking, it got most of it off. this was on the red on the black pickgaurd it came right off with no residue at all
Sigh, sometimes I wonder why I try to help.

You posted a question and I responded quickly with expert advice and you ignored it anyway. Next time don't bother asking a question if you aren't going to listen to the answer.
Ainkut  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here tried to use normal brush paint as apposed to spray painting? My design I'm thinking of most likely won't work with spray, so I was wondering if anyone here had done it before, and if so any expert advice(aside from the first post, which was really good) ^_^ I hope so...
nos4me123  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do i remove permanent marker off my LP faceplate?

And when i try to spray on the faceplate, i cant see any of the paint.
Do i sand it to get rid of the glossy texture?

Thanks for your help
wesleysnipez  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this stuff work for paint on guitar and all.

http://www.kustomkolorpaints.com/kustomkolor/index.jsp
djkest  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't see why not. Although, I'm not sure that would be any better than Krylon or Rust-Oleum

Edit: wow, those are great looking colors! I might have to pick some up.
Beat hard! [ ]
iwasaperson  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rude95841 wrote:
this is an awesome guide.

explaining how to carefully take the controller apart to paint the pieces would be usefull also.

I know when i took mine apart, as I pulled the top from the bottom i watched a spring fly out and acrossed the room.

anyways if i had know before hand i would have been more carefull.

that would be the whammy bar...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger PSN Name: iwasaperson
GTJem  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's see if I can answer a few questions.

1. You can brush paint it, but you WILL have brush strokes showing. You could get around that with a lot of extra work (and this will only work if your painting a solid color no metallics or candies). Use model paints, as they are lacquer based, and you will need to do at least 6 coats (let it dry a day between coats).
Then when it has set for a week, you can color sand a buff it just like in the instructions. But be warned, with brushed on paint you will need to use a sanding board and it will be a lot of work getting it smooth. Lacquer doesn't require a clear coat, so you can polish it directly and it will look great.

2. Permanent marker tends to soak into the plastic, and it's very hard to paint over. Your best bet would be to sand it really good and then spray a couple of primer coats on first to seal the marker chemicals away from the paint.

3. The HOK Kustom Kolors will work well, but it WILL NOT work with Fusion paints it causes a nasty chemical reaction. So you will need to use the HOK primers, basecoats, and clears to get a good result. And since they come in small (expensive) cans only, you will need several cans of each paint to do an entire guitar. You might get away with only one can of each if your only painting the faceplate, but if your going to use one of their candies buy two cans as one will probably not make your color as dark as you will like it.

4. as far as taking the controller apart, there are several good guides for how to do that already. You should be able to find one with a little searching.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is good .. now im going to paint my guitar

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 438255233656
willscot55  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know where I can get a Baby Blue spray paint for my guitar?
djkest  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home depot... but seriously.

What about pearl paints? Is house of kolour going to be the only way? Pearl paint would be pretty neat, for sure. A good pearl white and pearl red always looks pretty stunning.
Beat hard! [ ]
Seedlesstom  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BriGuy wrote:
The sticker residue will gunk up your sandpaper and make it a more difficult job. Just get some Goo Gone to remove the stickers. It's a citrus based product that loosens stickers and works like a charm.

Prep-solv would also do the trick. I like how he went ahead and used 220 to sand it down. lol.

Anyway, so I could get away with wet sand, prime, wetsand, basecoat, wet sand, pearl, clear, wet sand with 1500+? That would give me the best shine, yea?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seedlesstom wrote:
Anyway, so I could get away with wet sand, prime, wetsand, basecoat, wet sand, pearl, clear, wet sand with 1500+? That would give me the best shine, yea?

Wetsanding between the primer and basecoat is unneccessary. Other than that, it sounds like you're on your way to a nice guitar. Don't forget to post pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do.. It'll be a little while though, I'm working on sending out my start and select, the strum bar, the base of the whammy bar, and the strap pegs out for chrome. =D Should look sick nasty.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome painting guide!

a tip for krylon spray paint:

for optimal paint/compression ratio in any krylon, spray the can upside down for a solid 10 seconds. This will REALLY help eliminate drips and spraying too thick (unless your obviously spraying way to close, or for too long)

I've already got some extra stencils, i just never knew what kind of paint to get (and was far too apathetic to search very hard). I'll post some pics someday.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: sous chef fett
Akaleth  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions...

1. I noticed that someone asked whether you needed to sand down the Les Paul faceplate for whatever reason. Is this true, could I go directly to the base coat?

2. If I were to do a brush paint (I'm thinking it might be better for the job I'm thinking of doing) what would be the easiest way to get rid of any showing strokes before the polish?

3. I don't remember what the third was but if I remember I'll edit it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: