Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
0xion0  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sup guys - I'm interested in painting my RB Stratocaster like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Gc4MSFpag

I really like that metallic red
My Question:
what would be the best kind of paint and colors to use?
Thanks in advance
Slagr  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd always use Krylon Fusion and a few layers of clear coat. My guitar got a pretty good metallic luster that way.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slagr wrote:
I'd always use Krylon Fusion and a few layers of clear coat. My guitar got a pretty good metallic luster that way.

Thanks for the tip... I'll give it a try, hoppelly I will start this project on Monday. I'll post some pics when I done it.
G2K  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some tips. I'm painting my WT guitar, so obviously the first step was to sand it down. The sanding nicely removed the shine and all layers of color and left me with a smooth surface. My plan is to paint it a matte black, then use other colors (undecided) over that. I have a can of primer here (http://www.insl-x.com/viewProd.asp?prodID=51) and I didn't know if I should use that first. It IS a can, not a spray can, so would I just have to apply very thin coatings of it? Next, what would be the best matte black paint? And finally, what would be best for going ON TOP of that matte black?
The-Maverick-Kid  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the guide, gonna be useful for when I paint my faceplate.
scorpion666  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I spray paint an area with the Krylon Fusion paint, and then tape it off afterwards to do a diff section in a diff color, will Masking Tape pull up any of the paint?

Is masking tape in general bad to use?

Someone recommended I use it rather than painters tape.

EDIT: I also have Guitar Hero 3 Kramer Strikers, which means I don't have the screwdriver to take them apart. Is this going to be a problem or is painting over the screws not a big deal?
Slagr  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpion666 wrote:
If I spray paint an area with the Krylon Fusion paint, and then tape it off afterwards to do a diff section in a diff color, will Masking Tape pull up any of the paint?

Maybe. Painter's tape is always ideal but masking tape is certainly better than a lot of other things. Use it with caution if you wish.

Quote:
EDIT: I also have Guitar Hero 3 Kramer Strikers, which means I don't have the screwdriver to take them apart. Is this going to be a problem or is painting over the screws not a big deal?

painting over screws is ok, but getting paint anywhere near the guitar's electronics is really [i]really/i] bad. If you really want to paint it I'd recommend getting a Torx T-10 or a correctly sized allen wrench.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I could go pick up the screwdriver I guess, but I have no intentions of painting the buttons, fretboard, strum bar, whammy bar, or start/select. I realize the guitar isn't air tight but if I standard paint 15 to 18 inches away, I don't know if I'll get any paint into the inside of the unit without disassembling it.???

Is it pure carelessness getting paint in there, or is it highly likely even if I tape off the things I'm not painting? Referring to "electrical" areas as you stated.
Slagr  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpion666 wrote:
Well I could go pick up the screwdriver I guess, but I have no intentions of painting the buttons, fretboard, strum bar, whammy bar, or start/select. I realize the guitar isn't air tight but if I standard paint 15 to 18 inches away, I don't know if I'll get any paint into the inside of the unit without disassembling it.???

Is it pure carelessness getting paint in there, or is it highly likely even if I tape off the things I'm not painting? Referring to "electrical" areas as you stated.

If you think you can plug the holes completely while still exposing the entire area you want to paint, I suppose you can try.

But if it doesn't work, you may need the screwdriver anyway to fix it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright well I'm going to wing it. Honestly I don't mind buying the screwdriver what I don't like about this is messing around with the innards of the guitar's electrical stuff. For someone like me who's broken probably 10+ game controllers in his life, I've seen the insides of a ton of them, and even one time I tried to clean out a genesis controller, I could never get it back together again properly.

So really I just want to avoid messing with the wiring in the guitar.

I'd love to paint the strum bar if anything, but I'd rather not mess with the mechanics of the machine and just try painting it as is.
scorpion666  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I'm done with both of my guitars and they turned out ok. The first one I messed up but I'm not going to fix it even though I could. I'd like to keep it in a grunge style, since that's my favorite genre of music. The second one turned out perfect or near flawless and I'm content with that.

I'm either going to do a video or picture/post description of how to do the Kramer Striker for GH 3 since I couldn't find any sources on the web on how to dissasemble and paint it. But I'm not doing it right now. Here are my pictures for the record:

Both Guitars:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/scorpion_666/CIMG0050.jpg

Backs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/scorpion_666/CIMG0054.jpg

Red Grunge:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/scorpion_666/CIMG0052.jpg

Purple Black:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/scorpion_666/CIMG0053.jpg

My Setup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/scorpion_666/CIMG0051.jpg

My Audience:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/scorpion_666/CIMG0055.jpg

My cat Joker holding my controller while I'm playing ESPN NFL 2K5:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/scorpion_666/CIMG0056.jpg

Thanks for the tips and like I said, I'll go over the details of working with the Kramer soon so people that get this guitar know how to work with it.
danman2626  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BriGuy wrote:
KoGCommando wrote:
guys would paint that goes on plastic work??

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Which product are you talking about.
If it is paint that specifies that it works on plastic, that sounds okay. But keep in mind that there are a lot of different kinds of plastic and they can react differently.
paint used for plastic models ie. model cars planes ect. is fine. i used Testors one coat lacquer pain that i got at a hobby shop.it worked great but it was kinda expencive.i have an x-plorer guitar so idk about alllll guitars but im allmost 100% sure that the x-plorers are made of the same plastic as model cars and such.its called polypropoliene or somethin like that(i believe it is the same stuff subwoofers are made of)but dont go painting ur subs tho:P trust me i did that when i was a kid and it screwed my subs up............
ohya if you want to see my guitar its on page 15 of the custom paint job sticky:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: