ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GUIDE: How to replace game images (splash screens,skins,...)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ezekiel08  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielmbp wrote:
As I said before, I'm working on an automatic color reduction algorithm for MiloReplaceTools. So you will be able to import a 32bpp bitmap for a 4 or 8 bpp tex file and the software will make this convertion for you.

Thanks for those tips, I'll try em' out when I get the time, sometime soon I hope .

Like you said, the Index Colour option one would choose depends on the image you're using. Soooo, with this auto converter your working on, wouldn't that mean that you won't be able to choose your Indexing options? That each image will just be churned though the same process for BPP 4 or 8? This might cause some 4 BPP images to look a bit dodgy if the wrong Index colours are chosen....

I hope you leave to choice in so we can Index manually, then Import into the .milo_ps2.

GHII: Hard 5* ( 48/48 ) Expert ( 48/48 )
GH games I own: PS2; GHI [ ] GHII [X] GH80's [X] GHIII [X] XBOX360; GHII [X] GHIII [X]

Love isn't finding a perfect person, it's seeing an imperfect person perfectly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ezekiel 08
ezekiel08  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My custom Judy Nails so far:

Things to do:

EDIT
[X] White shorts
[X] New singlet
[X] Changing her collar colour/pattern
[X] Nicer Make-up
[ ] Replacing leggings with knee-high socks
[X] Think of something to do to her gloves

Current "White Nails" aka Judy Nails

If you've got a custom character or are currently working on one, please post your work. I want to see what sort skins everyones making. .

GH games I own: PS2; GHI [ ] GHII [X] GH80's [X] GHIII [X] XBOX360; GHII [X] GHIII [X]

Last edited by ezekiel08 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ezekiel 08
danielmbp  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays, we can successfully import 4 or 8 bpp images in the game, if the alpha channel is not used for that image. MiloReplaceTools 2.5 is working well for that cases. The most common cases are: splash screens, mainmenu screen, level selection screen, guitar skins, etc...

Could you guys post here which images you want to customize that has alpha channel information and you can not customize them due to the discarding of the alpha channel that happens in the process described here.
That would help me to see how big is the problem. I'm working hard to provide a solution for this.

thanks.
Unsteadycarrot  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we allowed to post the actual GH2 images we want to customise?

its mainly everything that appears transparent in the game, so taking the world map for example when u open up a new venue...the vehicle on that has this alpha channel ...that would be a good one to look at, as im sure the other images work in the same way

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but you don't need to post the images... just where they are located (which milo and which tex).
I'm looking for the images that people wants to customize but just can't make it nowadays due to that software limitation.
Unsteadycarrot  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ones im in need of editing are all located in UI/GEN

any of the unlockvenue milo's...each contains a different vehicle with an alpha channel that i would like to edit but cannot.

the other is in the loading.milo_ps2

the wing and the casette and splodge behind the casette.

checkbox.milo_ps2 would be nice too

any milo that has the gs_tile.tex in it (multiple milos) ..generaly ones to do with "pause"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsteadycarrot wrote:
the ones im in need of editing are all located in UI/GEN

any of the unlockvenue milo's...each contains a different vehicle with an alpha channel that i would like to edit but cannot.

the other is in the loading.milo_ps2

the wing and the casette and splodge behind the casette.

checkbox.milo_ps2 would be nice too

any milo that has the gs_tile.tex in it (multiple milos) ..generaly ones to do with "pause"

Thanks for the information... I'm working on that.
Unsteadycarrot  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem, ill let you know if i see anymore. im just going through all the guitar skins right now skinning them...iv given the main screens etc a rest for now, it was hurting my brain and eating up DVD's

i look forward to your findings!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsteadycarrot wrote:
...im just going through all the guitar skins right now skinning them...iv given the main screens etc a rest for now, it was hurting my brain and eating up DVD's

i look forward to your findings!!

What guitar skins are you doing? After I finish with Judy Nails, I'm going to make her a cool Guitar skin too .

Oh and with your DVD 'eating' issue, I use PCSX to emulate my disk so every time I make a change to my skins, I pack everything into an ISO and boot it up in PCSX. Sure you can't play any songs cos it's really buggy and the frame tops out at about 10fps while trying to play a song, but all the menus run at a smooth 50-60fps depending on you computer (of course), so it's perfect to check your character & guitar skins/menu screens and anything not related to actually playing the songs. It's a good tool to check your Fret Boards as well cos you don't waste time and disks just to find out it looks crap in-game.

danielmbp: is there a way to change the text in the game? I looked at the Impact font (for the main menu screen) but as it's an alpha (duh), I couldn't figure out how replace the characters. And is there a way to change font colours? I've been looking everywhere and can't find it .

To everyone: Can you change the colour of the notes on the fret board? I want to customize my guitar controller and paint the fret buttons and it would be swell to have the notes the same colour in the game.

Example: I want to paint my controller buttons, say, white, black, brown, purple and grey (not really, just an example!), and I'd like to replace the in-game notes to correspond with my Custom guitar buttons. Note, this isn't asking for help to paint or mod my guitar controller, but to edit in-game images .

Here's my Judy Nails (for Rock The 80's) so far:

Before (still a bit modded) and After Mugshots

What I've changed so far:

1. Her torso with a Corset and removed the button on her jacket.
2. Changed her collar/head band and hair colour.
3. Replaced all of the skin on her face with much better quality skin files (from my The Sims 2 days...)
4. Replaced the skin on her chest with higher quality stuff, her cleavage now looks realistic!
5. Gave her new eyes, they're a white/green/blue/purple blend. This is where I had the problems with the 4bbp images as the eyes are the only character texture file at 4bbp.

Next I'm giving her a new chocker necklace and removing the two she's got now.
As well as:
- Change what her Belt Buckle says (The buckle's really high res for it size!)
- Replace her gloves with white (or maybe black) elbow gloves.
- Try and remove her necklace (this will involve removing some of the mesh files). This would be my highest achievement, mesh editing in GH2! lol .
- And then there's her legs... And thats another list.

I was thinking of starting a thread regarding what people are modding, like skins, how they're going about it, and to show off what they've accomplished. If there is a thread already about this sort of stuff, does anyone know where it is? I've looked myself but to no prevail.

Enough of me already...

Unsteadycarrot  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a skin thread would be awesome, cause i would like to go about changing clothing and faces etc......but i thought we had to stay similiar to what was already there.........are the sims skin files ok to use??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsteadycarrot wrote:
a skin thread would be awesome, cause i would like to go about changing clothing and faces etc......but i thought we had to stay similiar to what was already there.........are the sims skin files ok to use??

YuP! Well most of my resources are from The Sims 2 (and the 100's of skins I've downloaded), not too sure about the Sims 1, haven't touch that game for years . You just need to resize/distort but if your a seasoned skinner, you should be able to slot them in no probs.

EDIT: If you wanted to just drop a Sims skin into a GH skin file, than no, that would not work. It is possible, however, to to cut parts out of the Sims skins and edit into the GH skin. This does take some skill though.

I've only been messing with Judy Nails from Rock The 80's (getting PS2 GH2 in 2 days, yay! Been thrashing the 360 version since release. Still don't have a modded PS2 yet, so all my hacking/editing has been on the comp and PCSX), but will check out the other character when I get GH2.

Judy's pretty annoying cos they formated the skins so retardedly, no nice and easy like The Sims 2 . To test where things are meant to go, I put in bright, solid blocks of colour and then make a note where they show up on the mesh.

Anyway... I think it would be sweet to start a need thread to talk about this stuff, I'm just not sure how many people here are into skinning, or any editing for that matter.

EDIT2

Here's Judy with more changes, mainly the Above Elbow Gloves and Gold Bracelet. Plus I touched up her make-up; gave her a pink lipstick and I toned down the bad 80's hot-pink eye shadow, and gave her black eyeliner.

As you can tell, I'm pretty hardcore and spend countless hours perfecting my skins . If you going to do something, do I right!

Still need to change the belt buckle (very very easy, just delete old text and add new), plus I haven't started on her legs or boots.

When she's finished, I think I'll change her name to White Nails, I think it have a nice ring to it...

Last edited by ezekiel08 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unsteadycarrot  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure lots of people will be interested.......im doing graphic design at college now but im only at an early stage...so this helps me improve a lot anywhoo...

when people have made a completely custom skin, are they allowed to post there bitmap?...as the official content wont be there anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I wanted to get into graphic design, but I'm kinda poor, so everything I learn is from the net! I want to be a Digital Illustrator, that would be my dream job!

Ok, you start up a new "Skinning" thread, I'm dyslexic (had to look the spelling up, lol) so most of my sentences are constructed backwards. I have to double type everything so people will understand me .

Um, not sure about posting skins. If the original Harmonix skins is edited heavily, than it should be ok to post. With other skins for say The Sims 2, it's totally ok to download official EA skins and edited EA skins.

So, I think it should be alright (legally) to post any Guitar Hero (I/II/80's) skin, as long as we don't claim any of the original material as our own, and we give credit to Activision/Red Octane/Harmonix. Please correct me if I'm wrong .

Last edited by ezekiel08 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
danielmbp  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
danielmbp: is there a way to change the text in the game? I looked at the Impact font (for the main menu screen) but as it's an alpha (duh), I couldn't figure out how replace the characters. And is there a way to change font colours? I've been looking everywhere and can't find it .

I've seen that the game fonts are placed in the alpha channel too. However, in that case, there is no RGB image (all filled with white) and the font information is located in the alpha channel. For this specific case I believe that will be easy to implement the replace functionality in MiloReplaceTools.
The annoying problem is when we have complex image and complex alpha channel, with so many colors that makes the color reduction hard to do, specially when reducing to 4bpp.

About font colors, maybe changing the RGB image color (not alpha) from white to your custom color probably works. Let's test it.

I'm working on the color reduction algorithm with alpha support. I hope to release it in MiloReplaceTools in a few days.
Unsteadycarrot  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezekiel08 wrote:
Sweet! I wanted to get into graphic design, but I'm kinda poor, so everything I learn is from the net! I want to be a Digital Illustrator, that would be my dream job!

Ok, you start up a new "Skinning" thread, I'm dyslexic (had to look the spelling up, lol) so most of my sentences are constructed backwards. I have to double type everything so people will understand me .

Um, not sure about posting skins. If the original Harmonix skins is edited heavily, than it should be ok to post. With other skins for say The Sims 2, it's totally ok to download official EA skins and edited EA skins.

So, I think it should be alright (legally) to post any Guitar Hero (I/II/80's) skin, as long as we don't claim any of the original material as our own, and we give credit to Activision/Red Octane/Harmonix. Please correct me if I'm wrong .

i couldnt start up a decent skinning thread right now, i want to get a couple of heavily skinned bmp's done first so that i know it all works properly and isnt overly annoying..........i plan to skin myself into the game..wearing a simple hoody i always wear and jeans and my red and black vans.......and obviously putting my own faceon the head texture.

pretty sure thats legal as its all going to be ME!!
once i have done that...ill start a thread with that as an example.

heh..just realised MiloReplaceTools has a cool abreviation

MR.T
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 3 of 26

Jump to: