ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH3 SR Contest Official Info Thread (updated: ghevents up)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barfo  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: GH3 SR Contest Official Info Thread (updated: ghevents up) Reply with quote

UPDATED: ghevents info

* The ghevents events are OPEN now. Remember to only sign up in ghevents if you are on the official roster (or have posted in the thread, ill update roster then handle ghevents) using the same name as in the roster, otherwise you will get dropped from ghevents. (if there is an issue with your name being taken PM me).

* You do no need to wait to be 'Approved' to enter scores. While pending you can enter scores and when i approve you those scores will still be int he system. Note that if for some reason i 'Deny' you and you think that is incorrect you can PM me the issue, but you will have to re-sign up and re-enter scores, most likely.

* Due to the way ghevents is coded, it will not accept your entry unless you enter something for each field. This creates a small issue for people who are not submitting on every song. So if you are not submitting a song fill out "0" for all fields for that song (score/%/ns). If you failed a song on the first try then you submit 0 for score and ns, and the % you failed at under %. For songs where you could not get a newspaper screen due to being challenged by the boss submit the score, and enter 0 for the % and ns. If there are songs that you have not yet done, but plan to do eventually enter 0 in all fields for now and then later update them when you ahve the scores.

* Note that the "Submit Scores" button is at the top of the list. After entering all your scores, scroll up and hit this button to submit. If you just hit 'Return to Main Menu' then your scores will not be saved.

* REMINDER: The deadline is Nov 11, 2007. Make sure your scores are all in before midnight the night of the 11th. Its okay to enter just a few scores at a time (leaving the ones not done as 0), but make sure you have finished all of your entryby the evening of the 11th, because ghevents will stop taking any entries/edits after then

* Results will take me probably a week or so to process, so don't hassle me on the morning of the 12th..

UPDATED, post-GH3 release info:

All the original rules below still apply (except where superseeded by these updates), but a few other issues/updates are needed:

* Boss Battles are NOT covered by this competition, because there is no way to get a score for the full song (it ends when you beat the boss)

* TTFAF is NOT covered by this competition (on any difficulty level), because you play it in the credits for the first time with no score

* Coop encores (played on single player quickplay) ARE covered by this competition. Use the unlock all code (cheat codes thread) which will unlock those 6 songs in quickplay, and then play the lead part in quickplay. NOTE: the unlock all code is not reversible and it will unlock all songs in quickplay forever, so if this bothers you you may want to unlock all the single-player songs first through the career mode (and buying them in the store). I have been told that unlock all code will not affect the career mode so you will sitll be able to play through coop career with having to unlock the songs. You cannot have played either part (lead/bass/rhythm) of the song on coop career mode (on any dififculty) prior to playign it in QP single player for purposes of this competition (its not a sightread if you have played it or watched somebody play it)

* in the second, fifth, and eigth tiers, it is impossible to get a newspaper screen on the last song before the boss fight because the boss challenge is automatic and prevents you from getting the newpaper screen (even if you turn down the challenge). Get the score from the setlist and it is okay to turn in any song this happens to you on without % and notestreak (enter score followed by zeros for these fields). However, with some planning you can reduce this, for example if theres a song that already you cannot compete in because you played it already, save that one for last in the tier and you will have % and ns for all your submissions in this tier.

******* ORIGINAL POST ****

Hey everybody, as we did for GH80s (and as rabies did for GH2, but that pre-dates the leagues), we are going to run a GH3 sightreading contest. This is the official info thread, the signup thread is HERE

Rules:

* Sightreading (for purposes of this competition) means your first attempt at a song on any difficulty. So you can only sign up for one difficulty, because after you play the songs on one difficulty, it is not a true sightread on other difficulties.

* All platforms will compete in a common event, there will be no platform distinctions (unless some big piece of evidence comes to light ot change this). The available difficulties are Expert, Hard, Medium. There will (unfortunately) be no coop support.

* You should have little (or no) knowledge of the notecharts to the songs. This means that you should not have watched any videos of the songs (or at least very few, use your discretion), and you absolutely should not have 'played along' with any of the songs (either while watching a video or on a demo or some such). Also if you put any part of the song into a custom and palyed it in GH2 engine (as some people did with TTFAF intro) than you cannot participate on that song. If you play the 5-song demo (either at home or in a game crazy/best buy/etc) you cannot submit for those songs. If you played the song during a playable demo (or watched someone else play it) at some sort of event (such as E3, X07, leipzig, digital life, etc) then you cannot participate on that song. If any of those criteria above apply to you but on a different difficulty level than the one you are signing up for, you still cannot participate on those (example: i played about 30-some songs all on expert at shevent in july, i still cannot participate on those songs even on H or M). These criteria are separate for each song so for example if you havent been watching many videos but you did play the 5-song demo you can participate but just not submit scores for those 5 songs. Scoring will be normalized and separate for each song, so that you can particpate in some but not all songs and while this may hurt your overal standing, i will make some standings which are based only on participating songs and will allow for some comparisons. This will likely take the form of an 'overall winner' based on the sum of all 70+ songs, and a 'performance winner' based on the highest average score (among people with some minimum number of scores, probably 40-50ish).

* All scores are based on the honor system, so no proof is required. However there are no prizes, so you are cheating only yourself and the community if you decide ot cheat. Also, any people caught with fake scores will be removed and you will earn a lifetime leagues ban, and have the matter bumped upwards to SH mods if warranted. Basically the lesson is we are all friends here lets have a friendly (and fair) competition.

* Just like for Season 6, Score, %, and notestreak are required for all scores for validation purposes. Make sure when you are playing for the first time you have a way to note these down.. Also you should turn down encores so that you can get this info for the song that unlocked the encore. (see note above about boss battles).

* If you fail a song on the first try, write down zero for the score, and write down the % of the song you failed at for the percent as a tie-breaker for more points (ie somebody who failed at 80% will get more poitns than somebody who failed at 50%, etc). There may be special exceptions for a few songs that may need further tie-breaking (such as TTFAF on expert). Any such exceptions will be clarified once the game is out and the actual score entry goes up.

* The contest will take place through the ghevents system used in GH80s sightread contest and Season 6 of the leagues. Scoring will be done using the normalized (0-100) scoring system used in season 6 of the leagues, so placing better than everybody else is the goal, but the margin of victory will not be as big a factor (and it will not wieght towards the songs with high point values). Also this allows for evaluating the scores based on total points, and on possibly other factors such as average score for songs submitted, (and possibly others).

* All signups will be handled through the Official Roster Thread. If you want to sign up just post with the difficulty you want. After you see your name added to the list, then you can go sign up for the event in ghevents. Your GHevents account name must match your SH forum name (PM me if there are issues). The reason for this is so that we can maintain roster integrity of only people wh are valid SH members. Any ghevents signups that are not reflected on the official roster in this thread will be denied without prejudice (PM me if there is an issue).

* An FAQ on how to use GHevents is contained here. That is set up assuming a normal league but hte info should be basically accurate. The event is not up yet in GHevents (so you cannot yet sign up). I will replace this note with one saying its up at the appropriate time.

* The deadline for the contest will be sunday night two weeks after the release of the game (Nov 11th, 2007). make certain to enter all your sightread scores at any time before 11/11 at midnight, as the system will stop accepting scores after that. The round may not be open exactly on release day, all of the GH3 data needs to get entered in based on the actual release copy of the game, and some decisions on the exact tracklist may need to be made (see next point)

* Which exact songs will be covered is not yet completely known. Definitely it will cover all single player career songs and all bonus songs (single player/lead guitar track only). Definitely it will not cover any DLC (whether available at release or not). Depending upon if everyone can quickplay easily the original bss battle compositions for score (rather than versus AI battle mode) it may or may not include these. Depending upon if everyone can easily unlock the coop exclusive songs for single player quickplay (via an unlock all code released shortly after the game) it may or may not include 'coop-exclusive' songs (played on single player on the lead guitar track of course).

* Rosters will be updated approximately once a day (possibly slower on weekends). Do not repost your signup or PM me unless you do not see your name on the list AFTER it has been updated. If that is the case, please PM me and ill try and correct it.

Feel free to use this thread to ask pertinent questions etc, but be warned that extraneous or junk posts will be summarily removed in order to preserve clarity for people who need the info. (At some point last week, JC gave me mod powers for this sub-forum, so be warned... mwahahaha.. ;) ). Thank you for participating and good luck, hre's hoping for a smooth and entertaining contest.

Last edited by Barfo on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
anonymous_9  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.

Last edited by anonymous_9 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barfo  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildgeg wrote:
i skimmed through this and saw nothing about which systems it'll be for. just ps2? or xbox 360 and wii also?

sorry if i missed it.

Any platform that GH3 is on, you can compete in the contest with.
FretsOnFireGh2  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost everyone has seen the TTFAF video, but unless you play along/make a custom, you can't stop the fact that you WILL fail on the intro. But.. if you haven't played along or made a custom, just watched the video, since it pretty much just comes down to skill still, can you still submit a sightread score for that? It would give the people who are good enough to beat it on their sightread a distinct advantage over the others, and since that's the last song on the list, "the pressure will be on" for you to beat that song to get in the top, so could you make an exception for that, or no? Also, can no mods or anyone who went to one of those demos participate? I think they played through the whole game. Anyways, I'm signing up, sounds like a lot of fun.
-FretsOnFireGh2

I belong to the ManOfMrE Fan Club.
Thechosen  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretsOnFireGh2 wrote:
Almost everyone has seen the TTFAF video, but unless you play along/make a custom, you can't stop the fact that you WILL fail on the intro. But.. if you haven't played along or made a custom, just watched the video, since it pretty much just comes down to skill still, can you still submit a sightread score for that? It would give the people who are good enough to beat it on their sightread a distinct advantage over the others, and since that's the last song on the list, "the pressure will be on" for you to beat that song to get in the top, so could you make an exception for that, or no? Also, can no mods or anyone who went to one of those demos participate? I think they played through the whole game. Anyways, I'm signing up, sounds like a lot of fun.

just for a small correction,only Imacarrot has played the full retail version...i think
Barfo  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two questions in our post and im goign to answer them in reverse order:
FretsOnFireGh2 wrote:
Also, can no mods or anyone who went to one of those demos participate? I think they played through the whole game. Anyways, I'm signing up, sounds like a lot of fun.

Its on a song-by-song basis (and its honor system compliance). If you feel that for a certain song you do not fit hte sightread criteria spelled out above then dont turn in that score. So taking myself for example, i played through about 20-30 songs on the visit i made t nsft, so even though i am playing it on H (not X like when i was at nsoft), i am not going to submit any scores for those songs i played (such as story of my life, barracuda, HiC, Anarchy in UK, evenflow, CoP, KoC, RYLAH, One, SMK, Helicopter, cities on flame with rock and roll, closer, etc etc). Also i watched the vid too much so i wont submit TTFAF probably. That still leaves plenty of songs that i have pretty much a sight read of that i am going to submit (though for me i might be under the statistical level to even qualify for the average championship).

FretsOnFireGh2 wrote:
Almost everyone has seen the TTFAF video, but unless you play along/make a custom, you can't stop the fact that you WILL fail on the intro. But.. if you haven't played along or made a custom, just watched the video, since it pretty much just comes down to skill still, can you still submit a sightread score for that? It would give the people who are good enough to beat it on their sightread a distinct advantage over the others, and since that's the last song on the list, "the pressure will be on" for you to beat that song to get in the top, so could you make an exception for that, or no?

Yeah TTFAF (on expert) is a special case, no doubt. If we didnt let anybody who had seen the vid submit then nobody would be able to turn it in. On the other hand i dont htink there is anybody good enough to beat it on (true) sightread. The experience of wuLFe pretty much proves that. So basically i think its fair to say that nobody has a sightread on that at this point - and anybody who claims to pass it on sightread is either lying or using a loose definition of the term which includes knowing abou the intro and preparing themselves for it mentally in some way. If it was a 'real' sightread everybody would tie on the song at 1% or 2% failed, so theres various ways to handle it and i havent settled on one yet. One thing i could think of is just to leave that off the list for expert so nobody has an advantage created by that. Another possibility would be to leverage the fact that practice mode has a score and take scores for playing it the first time on full speed practice mode, the full song and then compare those. I sort of like that second option but theres a whole can of worms that goes along with that too (some people obviously wouldnt want their first play of the song to be on practice mode, etc) so im not prepared to say how it will be handled precisely just yet, ill decide closer to the time when GH3 comes out.
meister  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an idea for TTFAF. Let everyone try the song once in game, and some people might pass. For people that don't, they record the percentage lost at and get one play through in practice mode, with their rankings starting under those who passed first. Maybe that could work. I'm not sure how you would use percentage lost at, so maybe don't use that.

dogfoodnyc wrote:
Wow, you guys got Meister?! I am expecting this group to hit the top
RB3 Bass FGFC! 1st x-plat
My RB Thread- | Renegades of Funk Accomplishment Thread|Twitter|My YouTube channel Please subscribe!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: MeisterSH PSN Name: justindeboer
DragoonKain  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one major problem with your submission guidelines. The songs before encores do not show note streaks or percentages, just scores/stars, at least in past games, which would automatically negate 1 score out of every tier if you were to mandate it. Better would be for you to require note streaks/percentages on four out of every five tier songs (always including the encore), in order to compensate for that problem.

53964.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: DragoonKain07
adzicents  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish to compete, but the release date out here in Australia is November 7th. Will I be able to compete as long as I still do not view any videos after the Us release date and as long as I still get by scores in by the 11th? Will be difficult to manage getting them in within 4-5 days, but I should be able to manage...

EDIT:
DragoonKain wrote:
There's one major problem with your submission guidelines. The songs before encores do not show note streaks or percentages, just scores/stars, at least in past games, which would automatically negate 1 score out of every tier if you were to mandate it. Better would be for you to require note streaks/percentages on four out of every five tier songs (always including the encore), in order to compensate for that problem.

In GH2 you could choose 'No' when asked about the encore and it would take you to the newspaper screen anyway.
[*] YouTube Page.
[*] Rock Band Accomplishments Thread.
[*] RB2 Drum Scores / 50/84 Drums FCs
[*] RB2 Vocals Scores / 60/84 Vox FCs
[*] 11 Million Rock Band 1 Drums!
Axel323  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two major flaws in this sight reading event in my opinion. Either that, or skim reading is not your friend.

I'm sure EVERYONE here has watched those GH3 trailers. Like the Slow Ride clip, Paint It Black Clip, and just about any other trailer they have released featuring game play footage. Does this mean we are disqualified on that song for watching a 15 second clip? I mean watching someone play and playing the song are two entirely different songs. You can watch someone and think, "Aw man I can't wait to try that" But when you play it you may think, "Jesus Christ! I need to try this song in practice mode more.." With that last quote, I do know we have to submit our first attempt as a score/%-age and streak..

And what about the songs? I'm sure everyone here will play the difficulty they are most comfortable in and unlock the songs so they can compete and play them again. But since you said if we go and play a song, we are disqualified on that song. So how do we unlock them? Does the competition work up progressively like the set list. Meaning the first week we do the first tier songs. then the next week we do tier 2 songs, etc. Or do we have to play a difficulty lower to unlock the songs, if so, how will that work for the players in the Medium tourney seeing ass the last tier doesn't unlock on easy.

I'm just these for further clarification.. I mean as soon as I get the game I'm gonna shred it, but I wanna know what I have to do to still be able to compete at the same time.. and I REALLY hope the deadlines aren't spaced apart by far because I don't want to wait long to play quiet a few songs.
Make play-offs [ ]
BulkySam  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing and submissions are done on your own time in the time that this competition is taking place. As you play the game, take note of your scores, note %, and streaks. Submit those whenever you have the time before the deadline. We are basically being give 2 weeks to play through the whole game and to document our progress on our first time through each song.

www.tamuk.edu/ktai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: BulkySam PSN Name: BulkySam
oberlin27  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only vids I've seen are the TTFAF one (just like everyone), and that full run through Evenflow.

Also, if I'm reading this correctly, customs only DQ you if you took part of the song that you KNOW is in the final build and implement it, right? Cuz I've played a few customs, and watched countless more of thespike's and funkboy's on Youtube =/

EDIT: Wait a second, if i get the demo, couldn't I simply submit my sightread score from it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Oberlin27
Barfo  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axel323 wrote:
I'm sure EVERYONE here has watched those GH3 trailers. Like the Slow Ride clip, Paint It Black Clip, and just about any other trailer they have released featuring game play footage. Does this mean we are disqualified on that song for watching a 15 second clip? I mean watching someone play and playing the song are two entirely different songs.

Yeah vids are a bit of a grey area. I agree just seeing a clip one time (especially if its a fraction of the song) a while ago shouldnt disqualify you. However watching a youtube vid of say a demo song (or a broken street date copy) more than once or twice, or if you were watchign it closely, or if it was the day before you got the game and went to play that song, i think should. The basic underlying principle is that in terms of sightread, you should have no particular knowledge of that song that will affect your play - either brain knowledge from your head really remembering any significant portion of it (even vaguely and unconscienously) - which i think can happen after several casual views or even one view if you consciously study it, or from muscle memory such as if you play the demo of it, or even play along with a vid (even on an air controller) that you are watching.

Axel323 wrote:
And what about the songs? I'm sure everyone here will play the difficulty they are most comfortable in and unlock the songs so they can compete and play them again. But since you said if we go and play a song, we are disqualified on that song. So how do we unlock them?

Sightread is a one-round, one-time tournament, and the songs for it are ALL the songs. So the tournament does not assume you have any songs unlocked to start out, you will unlock them as you go. if, for example, you want to participate on hard then you start a career on hard and each time you play a song for the first time you note down score, % and notestreak (hopefully you can refuse encores and still get a newspaper screen for the song that triggered it, or even better some system where it still tells yout hat info). Later on enter all of those noted results into ghevents and that is your submission, you have 2 weeks to beat the whole game at that difficulty and have all scores entered.
Axel323  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Barfo. Thats how I though it would work out. ^_^ Can't wait for it to come out, super stocked on many songs in GH3.
Make play-offs [ ]
abarre1234  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah so i have only watched the SH exclusive version of TtFaF, so could i still participate on that song?
01:34 eyewin8-1 : i would have wanted a tighter vagina
01:34 Gamb|irc : ^
01:34 eyewin8-1 : but thats just me
01:34 abarre1234-1 : i agree
01:34 eyewin8-1 : >_>
01:35 abarre1234-1 : >_>
01:35 eyewin8-1 : and you 2
01:35 eyewin8-1 : i guess
01:35 eyewin8-1 : lol
01:35 eyewin8-1 : <3 threesome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: