ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
How to Post in Misc/Board Rules (Updated 2 February 2011)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GetThere1Time  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: How to Post in Misc/Board Rules (Updated 2 February 2011) Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to ScoreHero Misc GH Game Discussion. This is kind of a general forum for things surrounding the GH series that dont go anywhere else, but first lets analyze the word miscellaneous

mis·cel·la·ne·ous Show Spelled Pronunciation[mis-uh-ley-nee-uhs] Pronunciation Key -
–adjective
1. consisting of members or elements of different kinds; of mixed character: a book of miscellaneous essays on American history.
2. having various qualities, aspects, or subjects: a miscellaneous discussion.

As you can see, this is forum is for a wide variety of Guitar Hero discussion. However, I think some are misguided by the word miscellaneous as it means here. Now we're an internet forum still and we want good productive discussion on our boards Misc does not mean "I have some crap to post and it doesnt belong anywhere so I'm gonna toss it in Misc lol." Misc GH Game Discussion still has standards! Hopefully this post will help you guys out in becoming better more complete posters and keep the Misc GH Game Discussion forum that I love so dearly a little bit neater.

If you have a question:

CHECK THE STICKIES FIRST

Moderators choose what threads are stickies and chances are they're the threads with the most complete sources of information. Woah there! No need to make a new thread just yet! Lots of questions can be answered right here.

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION
UPDATED 18 JULY 2009

In the past I have seen a large abundance of posts complaining that the Search feature is "broken" or "sucks". No it doesn't. You just have to know how to work it properly, and it's not that difficult.

Ok see that little guy that the arrows are pointing too. That's our search function. I know it can be a little intimidating at first but once you get the hang of it it's quite easy?

A) Here's where you enter what you want to search for. Below it are two bullets "Search for any terms or use query as entered" and "search for all terms." The default search option has been changed to "Search for all terms". This makes the search feature completely more usable and efficient.

B) Know who made the post? The username goes here.

C )Here you can select a specific forum. If you have an idea what forum your search material will go in then use this pulldown menu to help you narrow things down a little easier.

D) Too broad to narrow your search down by forum? Try this option where you can choose which section to search.

E) Self explanatory and important to note. To get the easiest to use results, change this bullet to "Posts" so you get direct results instead of simply the topic your result was in.

F) Use this pull down to narrow your search even further. When you select a timespan from this option it'll only give you results of threads posted in the last X number or days/months/years. Great for if you want to find a newer thread and don't want to sort through all the old ones.

G) This is how you want your search results sorted.

H) If you use the "Display results as posts" in E, then this will let you set how much of the searched material will be seen in the search results.

The keywords you searched for will be highlighted in your results. Feel free to use page searching (Ctrl+F in most instances) to go directly to these keywords, or any others you may want to look for.

And that sums up your friend and mine, the search function.

CHECK THE OTHER FORUMS

They're there for a reason.

ARE THERE ANY THREADS ON THE SUBJECT MATTER ALREADY?

This goes along with the first 3 steps but I honestly cant tell you how many duplicate topics I delete every day. You'll see at the end there's a video that re-emphasizes this point, but just in case you don't watch it.

IT'S ALWAYS BETTER TO POST IN AN EXISTING TOPIC THAN IT IS TO START A NEW ONE

If you have something to say:

USE THE ABOVE STEPS FIRST

Check the stickies, search, check other forums, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD POST IN EXISTING TOPICS

AM I IN THE RIGHT FORUM?

Check to make sure that this post belongs here. We have a bunch of other forums split up into sections for a reason. Your topic isnt very miscellaneous if it already has a subforum devoted to it. Most of all, I move a ton of topics from Misc to Technique, Style and Gameplay(TSG.) If you need help on a song or want to talk game mechanics then your post probably belongs in TSG. Remember that a lot of the same posting guidelines apply there too.

IS MY POST SOMETHING NEW AND INTERESTING

Now the topic interesting is subjective, of course, but that's one of the joys of being a moderator. The rest of the staff and I get to choose what stays and what goes. If you're gonna post something of a personal experience or a general opinion, make sure it's something profound, interesting, and not flamebait. For example, "I crushed my little sister at Best Buy and the stock guy gave me a high five" is not a good topic and will probably get deleted. "I was playing Anarchy in the U.K. at Best Buy and Johnny Rotten punched me in the face and told me to fuck off" is a better topic.

General stuff:

MY POST GOT DELETED

Well this is probably because it sucked for whatever reason. This also means you should probably think a little harder about the content of your posts, but if you follow the above steps you shouldnt have this problem.

I HAVE AN OPINION/I HATE THIS GUY'S OPINION

Sure everyone has opinions but just stating them isnt going to do anyone any good. If you have something to say, back it up with some reasoning. Sure you might have to take 5 extra minutes but it'll make you a better and smarter poster.

Remember the Alakaiser Rule: Post because you have something to say, not because you have to say something!

IMAGE-ONLY POSTS

Image-only posts are increasingly frowned upon. It is not the fact that a response consists only of an image that detracts from the forum experience. It's the fact that such an image very rarely advances a discussion in a constructive way. They are usually used to flame people or to make a point in a condescending way. If you have a point of view to express to someone, please take the time to do so in a way that would preserve your credibility and not destroy the thread.

If you happen to come across a situation where you are considering an image-only post, ask yourself first:
* Is this likely to start or continue an argument?
* Is this actually adding anything or is it a +1 post in visual form?

Image-only posts that are witty, original, and not insulting to people are not a problem.

Thanks for reading the guide and I hope this helps new forum goes good productive posters. Keep these rules in mind while you post and you wont have to fear the banstick! Lastly watch this video. It's from the Steam forums but its good advice for any forum situation:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Misc GH Game Discussion! Feel free to discuss anything about Guitar Hero that doesn't belong in the other forums. Given it's, uh, general nature, Misc GH Game Discussion is by far the most heavily trafficked forum on ScoreHero, and it's easy to think that anything goes in this forum- but that's not the case.

Rules

Rule 1: ScoreHero does not allow the discussion of the availability of, providing, or requesting of copyrighted materials. Anyone participating in this type of behavior will be promptly banned.

Rule 2: Do not flame other users. Many topics on here are based on opinion, and we expect people to be intelligent enough to control themselves. Having a heated argument is PERFECTLY fine, but name-calling and condescending comments are not allowed.

Rule 3: Use the Search function. Practically everything on here has been discussed in at least 10 different threads. If you're going to make a new topic, at LEAST look on the first few pages or so to make sure it doesn't already exist.

Rule 4: DO NOT TALK ABOUT "LEAKS" ON THIS SITE! IF YOU WANT RUMORS, GO TO ANOTHER SITE!

Rule 5: Don't ask about customs in this forum! We have forums specifically designed to allow the discussion of GH customization.

Rule 6. Don't make threads about the "easiest/hardest/favorite/least favorite/best/worst song/tier/game/venue/guitar/player etc." Too subjective, generally don't invoke good discussion.

Rule 7. "Fanboy-ism" will NOT be tolerated. This ties in with Rule 2. You are allowed to have an opinion just as much as anyone. And that part is key, EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion, and you MUST allow other people to their opinion. Any flaming of others' opinions will not be tolerated. Open-ended bashing of anything will not be tolerated. We encourage constructive criticism and intelligent discussion of any game's features or contents, but openly saying things along the lines of "this sucks, you suck, etc" will not be tolerated. UPDATED 18 JULY 2009

Last edited by ManOfMrE on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ManOfMrE  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the rule about Searching Before Posting being one of the highest priorities here, it might not be obvious when it is ok or not to reply to an old thread. In general, replying to old threads, nicknamed "Necroing" is seen as a taboo, and it shouldn't be.

When not to reply to an old thread
1. When you just want to discuss something that has already been discussed in the thread.
2. When you want to post something stupid like "I agree" or "Yeah this is awesome."
3. When you want to just make a comment in general.

When TO reply to an old thread
1. If the thread in question applies to information you seek or a question you need answered but the response doesn't quite directly apply to you. It is OK to bump these threads if further discussion is NEEDED. I would MUCH RATHER you bring back an old topic rather than making a brand new one.

Odds are though, if you just search around for something you need information on, its PROBABLY already out there. You just need to find it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: