ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
360 Online League Ideas (intelligent suggestions welcome)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suspense  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: 360 Online League Ideas (intelligent suggestions welcome) Reply with quote

This would work for 360 (Not sure about Wii) PS3 would be out unfortunately (and thats what I have) so would PS2.. But 360 players might enjoy this...

Why not have a heads up online league? Set up people against each other each week..

Have 64 people per league. Could set it up like the NFL...

Two Conferences 32 players a piece
4 Divisions per conf.. 8 players a piece

Play each person in division once (or twice if you want to actually use an NFL format lol).. then a certain amount of battles outside their division.. And add a few cross conference battles as well...

Each player would post the results of the battle in a PM just like it is already.. This would eliminate people saying the scores were wrong.. Also this would provide proof of people actually achieving the scores they post, while adding some head to head competition..

If this has already been thought of and posted, I apologize.

If not hopefully its taken into consideration, if you don't have someone who would run it, I would gladly do so.
KurtCobain  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually sounds like a good idea if implemented. PM this to rabies or Barfo and see if they want to do it.
HighTechRedneck  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds good, probably the only potential problems I could think of would be:

1. Coordinating a time that both people weren't busy.
2. Scores. It is entirely likely for the person who lost or won to fabricate the scores, for example a loser could say that he had in fact won and if the winner didn't have/couldn't get photo proof it would have to be word against word. However I firmly believe in the honor system and I think ScoreHero has shown that works. So it might only be a minor problem.

But it still sounds pretty sweet and although I have a PS2 it still would add a more interesting element to do battles online.
5 Star GH3 Expert [First Four Tiers Down]
Barfo  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking for myself (i havent talked to any of the other ocmmishes yet) i think some sort of league system that uses the online 360 play is a pretty good idea. I see several cahllenges to it, mainly in terms of scheduling and verification, etc, but nothing so severe that we can't figure out some decent solution if we think hard about it. Since thats an all new format i dont think we can roll with that as fast as we will with the traditional format, but I think we should give it some serious thought.

My feelign would be to start out with just a bracketed tournament to get the kinks out of the matchmaking/scheduling/reporting issues, before jumping straight into a longer format that would have a regular season followed by playoffs. Im going to leave this thread open for anybody else who has some brainstorms on how to make it work/what theyd like ot see from an online pleay league to make their suggestions.
tpokee89  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first great idea and i would love is this could happen 2nd would the regular season and playoffs just be 1 match each time or would they make it best of 3, 5, 7, or somthing like that. sorry if it is like that online for the 360 i have not got the game yet so i am not aware
Suspense  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, verification could become a problem with a sore loser but I don't really think this would be an issue here.

Scheduling... Truthfully theres a week between matches... you only have to be on together one time.. A simple PM with an online meeting time is extremely easy to do.. Even for people in different time zones, Saturday and Sunday are pretty workable...

People can still take photo's if they have the capability, this i think would also stop the dishonesty. Not making them required but the fact that a picture can be taken.

I actually thought of putting a tournament under this format first.. Just decided to put the league idea though, so i'm glad you brought it up.. A tournament would help discover the problems of this type of league and would be a great idea..

In the season format There would be 4 required songs and then a bonus song (voted for each week after the first)

It would be best of 5

The playoffs would work in progression..

32 players make the tourney.. Thats 5 rounds in the playoffs..

1st Round - Best Of 3
2nd Round - Best of 5
3rd Round - Best of 5
4th Round - Best of 7
5th Round - Best of 7

The Songs in the finals will be voted for by the players in the playoffs prior to the finals...

voting during round 1 would decide 1st song, 2nd song on week 2 and so on..

These results would be kept secret until final round is revealed.

Tie breaker song in finals... would be TTFAF, I just think that would be the most appropriate way to have a tiebreaker on this game for a season and championship match.

Any other additions you can think of post, I'd love to see this work.
youhas  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this idea, the whole notion of having an NFL-style league where it's a head-to-head matchup for any given week. I mean, I like the existing system's elegant mathematical complexities... but at times, it is very nice to be able to say "OK, my record is 3-2 - if I get a win this week, and two of the following four people bomb out, I clinch a spot". It also helps add some spice, where on any given matchup an underdog may have a miracle run (or the overdog may bomb something simple) and be able triumph. The pre-existing "submit your very bestmost score of the week!" sort of ensures that the overall superior players will win out - maximally fair, it is, but not always the best drama/fun.

For all the "best of N" formats: would the order in which the N songs had to be played be spelled out ahead of time, in whole or in part? Or would it be left to the discretion of whomever was the one hosting the match? (If you do it the latter way, it's effectively like having "home" and "away" games - the one doing the hosting gets a home field advantage! ) No real preference either way from me; just something to think about.

I do sort of wonder how it works out if you're unable to connect with a person over the course of a week. Schedules don't match up well, or they're going on vacation with their parents, or a big-ass storm knocked out their internet for a weekend - whatever. How do you pick a winner and a loser? Or do you just automatically tie, no matter who was "at fault"? Or do you both throw yourselves at the mercy of the mods and let them ordain a winner? I don't have a really good solution here myself, but figured it was worth voicing the potential for mishap.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Suspense  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't able to play your game during the course of the week and no ahead of time. PM the person in charge of the league and ask for a reschedule... Pretty simple.. The game could then be pushed to be included with next weeks games, along with your next weeks game as well..

This would allow an extra week for someone who is out of town, and would also provide some extension to someone who is having a problem meeting the others schedule..

If after two weeks the game has not been played it results in a tie, unless there is reason to believe that it was purposeful, which will then result in a loss instead.

The person in charge on this league would have to make the decision on that.

But if one person is sending PMs saying that they are trying to play the game and the other is never on, while the other says nothing for two weeks, it may result in a loss for the nonvocal player.

I really would like to control this league I believe I can make it happen
Antilles  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this goes live I will re-sign up for xbox live
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Antillez ICQ Number
Suspense  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have devised a tourney setup that should work, however it is in a word document file that can be downloaded from my site via the link below

http://www.itssuspense.com/tourneylayout.doc
Javman158  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I finally have my xbox live set up, and played a few rounds late last night and this morning, so I'm going to add my thoughts in on this.

Suspense wrote:
I have devised a tourney setup that should work, however it is in a word document file that can be downloaded from my site via the link below

http://www.itssuspense.com/tourneylayout.doc

I'll talk about "sections" of Suspense's proposed plan:

Section 1: Division Creation

4 divisions with 16 people each seems decent enough. Other possibilities would be 6 divisions or if this idea really explodes, 8 divisions.

An ideal (albeit nearly impossible) situation would be to actually place people in divisions based on locale (say NW, NE, SW, SE) rather than random. This I feel would make things a bit more interesting since the season lets you see how you are stacking up in your area, and playoffs would allow us to see what area has the most talented GH players. Easiest example I can think of is basketball, the west simply dominates the east recently. Which region would dominate in GH?

Section 2: Tournament Matchups

For the purposes of testing, this would be fine. Obviously if there was a season/playoffs, then players would not be randomly seeded, they would be seeded by records and appropriate tiebreakers.

Some possible ideas could be competing cross division. Basically, say DI and DII combined are conference A and DIII and DIV combined are conference B. So staying within the conference, the #1 seed from DI would face the #16 seed from DII, DI #2 vs DII #15, on through DI #16 vs DII #1, the same would apply for DIII and DIV. I think this would keep the opening rounds of tournament a bit more interesting since you aren't facing people you have been playing against all season. Also, it allows people who are decent but are placed in a more difficult division the opportunity to show they are better than their standing indicates. (Longwinded Example: say I am in a division with Iamchris, wulfe, and kov. I quite obviously go winless in my season and have sole possession of last place in my division. The other division in the conference consists of Joel Zumaya, the green teletubby, homestar runner, and a pointy stick, with the pointy stick pulling out the 1st place season victory. While the battle between me and whoever got first in my conference would be easily decided, the battle between me and the pointy stick should hopefully be closer, with me possibly pulling out the win. That turned out way longer than I intended it too.)

At the end, the winners from the DI and DII crosses still go against each other, and same for DIII nd DIV, so the NCAA style still pans out.

Section 3: # of matches

Seems fine to me. Like a stretched out baseball playoffs. I like it

Depending on the # of people that sign up and such, a proposed during season plan could be run similar to NFL style, as youhas proposed. For those unsure of how schedules in the NFL are made, here goes:

Two conferences, divisions within each conference, for example purposes we will use the setup Suspense used, with DI and DII being the Eastern conference and DIII and DIV being the western conference.

Any given player's schedule would then look like this:

Player faces all other players in same division twice throughout the season.

Player faces all players in 1 division in same league once (mostly a moot point if only 2 divisions per league, but if there are more then it becomes more important). Which leagues face each other is determined by the commisioners if there are more than 2 divisions per league.

Player faces all players in one division of other conference once.

Player faces two players previously determined by commissioners. (The NFL does this years in advance, but commissioners here could plan matches to create some interesting ones here.) The downside of this is that every player has to have matches chosen for him/her, which at 64 players would be very time consuming to say the least.

Also, if the division sizes are 16 apiece, then doing 50 matches would be very time consuming as well. The NFL season is 17 weeks long, so obviously using the same format would require some tweaking.

This brings up one other point. In order to do a season effectively, people would need to be seeding somewhat accordingly at the end of the season for playoffs. If we did one matchup a week with a 16 person division, even with a 6 week season we'd have several ties throughout the standings in each division. In order to adequately seed people based on a simple win/loss record, I would suggest making more divisions while lowering the number of people per division. So instead of 4x16, it could be 8x8 or some other method.

I'm sure I confused the hell outta 99% of the people who read that, so I apologize. these are mainly just on-the-fly thoughts I'm throwing together.
muna  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support this idea completely. A Wi-fi and PSN leage could also be made, but if we could ony use one, XBL is the way to go.
Great idea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ exactly

My proposed format would be

C1 D1,D2,D3,D4
C2 D1,D2,D3,D4

Each league would have 32 players to stay standard with NFL

Each player would play each person in division twice
One player from each division in conference once
One player from each division in other conference once
This adds up to 13 games, close to a college season..

The playoffs would consist of the players exactly like the NFL picks the playoffs.
CloudFuel  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck yea! I'm all over that idea. I used to run leagues in a little known online game called Ricochet (mod from half-life) and I know for us, the hardest problem we always ran into was the lack of participation... people dropping out, etc.

However.. that was a game with 50-100 people MAX... I'm pretty sure that won't be a problem here!

I like the idea of having tournaments and/or leagues while using the online system.. but we could also have two different styles of leagues..

* one that's like the ones we have now where it's all based on points at the end of the day (ie... the highest points on a given songs warrants you a high score)

* one that's based on wins (ie - nfl style)

--- Another idea we could run with would be similar to the fantasy football league I play in (yahoo) where you are double ranked, first by overall standings and then by total score. This would work as follows:

Let's say you have 8 players in a given "league." These 8 players would play each other a certain amount of times, dependent on the length of the "season."

So for Week 1 you have the following:

A vs E
B vs F
C vs G
D vs H

Let's say that the results are as follows:

A beats E (450,000 - 400,000)
B beats F (420,000 - 410,000)
C beats G (400,000 - 380,000)
D beats H (380,000 - 370,000)

That would mean that standings wise, the following would happen:

A: 1-0
B: 1-0
C: 1-0
D: 1-0
E: 0-1
F: 0-1
G: 0-1
H: 0-1

But.. that only tells us how good one person is against the immediate person they played... and with the fantasy league style, we add the points in and get this:

A: 1-0 (450,000)
C: 1-0 (430,000)
B: 1-0 (420,000)
D: 1-0 (380,000)
F: 0-1 (410,000)
E: 0-1 (400,000)
G: 0-1 (380,000)
H: 0-1 (370,000)

So this makes it not only vital to win your match, but also to do the best you can, because you can win and not score high or lose and score high... both of which will have an impact on your overall ranking.

* One thing to remember with a league like this, is that EVERYONE must play the same song(s) and same amount of song(s).. so if we did a (best of 3) type deal.. someone who plays ALL 3 songs will do better than someone playing only 2... and that wouldn't work. We could still do the (best of) type thing... but we need to make sure that everyone plays each of their given songs, whether it is necessary or not to clinch the win.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
g30ffr3y  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antilles wrote:
If this goes live I will re-sign up for xbox live

if this goes live i will sign up for xbox live in the first place...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: