ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Keeping beat on really fast, repetitive sections?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
globetro  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Keeping beat on really fast, repetitive sections? Reply with quote

How do you guys do the really fast, repetitive sectiosn of songs? There are quite a few songs that'll have the same note or chord played really fast... I think they're maybe even too fast to play just strumming down, since the time it takes for the strum bar to go back to the "neutral" position is longer than the pause between each note.

But when I try to play it with up and down strumming, I can't get the timing right at all. They're going by so fast, that I basically just grip the strum-bar in between my index-finger and thumb and just "wiggle" the strum-bar up and down as fast as I can... are there any techniques for getting the timing right for the really fast sections? I can't even tell if I'm strumming it too fast or too slow....
krimsunmunkeys  

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing is probably to practice alternate strumming. When I started, I used down strumming, but I practiced alternate strumming when I went to expert. Now, I use alternate strumming almost exclusively.

For counting fast notes, feel the beat, know how many notes are in each beat, and play that many notes per beat. Maybe this isn't clear, but it is really something that you have to practice and have the experience to feel.

Maybe others can provide more help than I can.
globetro  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, my problem is with the long, very-fast repetitive sections. For certain songs like Ready to Rokk, the strumming is fast in the opening, but it's only around 6 or so notes in a row, so it's not too hard to get right.

But there are a lot of songs (I can't remember a good example right now), where it's very fast and repetitive, but it's like 20 notes in a row. That just completely throws me off, as I have no clue how fast to strum (wind up just strumming up and down as fast as I can), and also have a hard time stopping at the right time (I'll inevitably either strum too many notes, or stop too early)....
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing that i can think of thats like what you are describing is *of course* TExas Flood. there is that one nice part in there where it's like 20 oranges in a row at like 100 miles an hour and it's hard to keep it the entire way through it.
schizophrenulum  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's that part (in Texas Flood) and the few star notes at the very beginning that could put me over the cutoff for five stars. My only real hope in that song is just to keep a good multiplier going long enough to build up some star power, and then use it right away (before I lose my multiplier again, which always happens very quickly in that song). Just about every other sequence of star notes in that song is easy enough for me to hit. I really really hate that song.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to 5-star Texas Flood tonight, but I can't seem to break 130k by very much. I consistently get between 125-130k, and every time I play I do well at a different part of the song. I've actually gotten pretty good at the fast oranges, I full combo them about half the time now. If only I could piece together pieces of my performances, I'd have a really nice score.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a stretch like that near the end of Fly On The Wall, IIRC.

Anyway, if you're having problems with these, the vast majority of the time you're strumming too fast. That's my experience, at least.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually down strum all of Texas Flood except that stream of orange. You can get fast enough if you practice, and you can also start a little early and end a little late for short bursts. When you can start FCing the little sections that have all the 4 note down scaling bursts, using star power there gives you way more points than using it on the 'safe' sections with next to no notes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: