ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Light Organ mod - Most heavily moded Xplorer to date? (vid)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmaartist  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy mother of God - Jesus Christ in Heaven... THAT IS AMAZING! Seriously, make a diagram of that thing. It'd be insane and confusing, but hell, if you make a diagram, parts list, and instructions. You, sir, could be the next guitar god.
Music is like candy, you throw out the (w)rappers.
People who rap aren't rappers, they're rap-ists, y'know, like art-ists. Which looks suspiciously like the word "rapist".
guran  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All, thanks for the words of appreciation. They really matter. Still secretly hoping for a mod of the year achievement...

I'll try to respond to the questions one by one. Bare with me and have some patience, as some of the questions require photographing, drawing, explaining etc.

For the first one:
matthewfahrbach wrote:
geeez you have a blueprint of that guitar's guts? cause I'd love to accomplish what you did

As for the blueprints of the guts. It depends a bit on what you mean. Let me give you an overview of what Nimrod looks like inside:

1) The main circuit board controlling the guitar and all light effects, the brain if you will
2) Attachment points to the original main circuit board of the Xplorer
3) Power circuitry for the cold cathode lights under the pick guard
4) Lots of wires – everywhere
Furthermore…

…the neck has:
5) Power circuitry for the diodes in the frets. These mean bastards suck ~400 mA each so a bit of backup is required
6) The circuit board for the new microswitch frets replacing the original circuit board.

As for the ‘guts’ of the guitar, if you mean a full description of all components, soldering and software required for this guitar (achieving all the mods), that would for sure be quite a feat to produce. What is worse though is that it would probably be useless, as it would be quite tough to replicate this guitar the exact way we have done it. That would for instance require equipment that is not typically available (e.g. 3D plastic printing capabilities). I want to be of help, but would much rather focus on providing descriptions on parts that are replicable or specific mods that people find interesting.

Back to your question. The real ‘guts’ of the guitar is the following circuit board.
It is a set of electronics for interacting with the guitar centered around a Programmable Integrated Circuit PIC 16F628A. You don’t need this if all you want is to have the pick guard glow rhythmically with the strum. If you do, however, want to have a complex integrated set of various mods with different light effects etc. you are bound to end up with something like this. Once you have it you control the guitar and there is no end to the fun stuff you can do. Also several mods are suddenly very easy, e.g. tapping buttons, etc.

If there is anyone around who wants to give it a go and is reasonably seasoned in making own circuit boards and programming PICs, I’ll try to convince Grand Master Pimp to release the schematics for the circuit board (of course with component lists and attachment points for the Xplorer)

Hope that helps. Let me know if your up for the PIC game or if we should focus on something else.

Last edited by guran on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
realuser  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to seee i want to see i want to seeeeeee.

Please upload it to www.Putfile.com , www.Photobucket.com or www.TinyPic.com ?

*Puppy face*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

realuser wrote:
I want to seee i want to see i want to seeeeeee.

Please upload it to www.Putfile.com , www.Photobucket.com or www.TinyPic.com ?

*Puppy face*

I'll see what I can do about this Putfile thing. In the meanwhile, if you are in a hurry, and have a lot of bandwidth you can try this link

piratetrips12  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please go into some more detail about the star power pedal? I am interested in making one myself.
Huzegun  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Drool*
1) How much did it cost you all together?
2) How long did the final build take?
3) Do you ever plan on making a production model for Sell?
Proclaim  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You, my friend, 4r3 t3h 1337.

You deserve a standing ovation...or at least a cookie.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Nemesis AP Wii Friend Code: 8571275019538002
JetsterDajet  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you did it on an explorer, but it sounds like you took most the mechanical garbage that was in there and put in your own quality stuff. By the way, I have that same cold cathode tube and PS in my computer case, lol.
guran  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over to next question
RiskyBusiness wrote:
Wow. That is crazy. ....Wow. I do have a question though. Can you explain HOW you made the star power footpedal? I have read the guides, but I can't comprehend enough as to how they did it. Thanks.

piratetrips12 wrote:
Could you please go into some more detail about the star power pedal? I am interested in making one myself.

Ahh... the pedal. Well as you rightly point out there are several threads that deal with star power buttons and pedals, but I am going to assume that:
1) We are talking about a star power pedal for the Xplorer through specifically through the tele socket and that
2) There is no exhaustive enough thread on that around

So here goes my stab at the post to ending this once and for all

Step by step Guide to Xplorer Star power pedals
Part 1 - Xplorer side modding
1) Open your Explorer (if you don't know how, give up)
It should look something like this:

where 1) is the main circuit board and 2) is the tele socket

2) Solder wires to the main circuit board
Find two points on the main circuitboard that connect to the select button but are more easily soldered than the contacts at the button itself. Use a voltage meter and poke around until you find it. Xplorers come in different versions (I have seen at least two designs of the circuit board) so it is difficult to tell you exactly where the spots will be on your guitar but if you have the version shown on this picture (where one chip is visible and the other covered with goo):

one such point is the little hole right next to the resistor labeled D1 (in the top of the picture) and the other is the resistor D6 to the right in the picture.

If you have the version shown on the first picture in this post the D6 still works, but you'll have to find the other one (If you want to do this, happen to have that version, but can't find the other spot, PM me and I'll do it for you)

Solder two wires, one to each of the points on the circuit board. Step 1 done.

One word of caution. The soldering is medium hairy, not super hairy, but medium hairy, and if you have to little experience you could really screw up your Xplorer in this step. In that case I propose finding someone who is solid in soldering.

3) Attach wires to telesocket
Unscrew the tele socket. Flip it over. There are 6 soldered points. Two attach the cable that is already there. In the middle of the circuit board are 4 soldering points, the two upper ones of which (assuming your holding the cable facing downwards) are free. Solder your two wires there. The end result should look like this.

Screw your Xplorer back together. Done

Part 2 - The making of the pedal
1) Create the guitar end plug
Get a tele plug, some tele wire and an attachement tool. Pinch the plug on to the wire. Like this

The telecable has 4 wires. The two you want to use are the number 1 and 3 from the left if you have the cable towards you and the little 'thing' facing you. Tape the other two so you dont get confused

2) Get a pedal
Three options.
A) Buy a cool pedal (like a real guitar pedal)
B) Make a pedal
C) No pedal just use a big button or switch that you can activate with your foot.
The only thing that matters is that the thing has two points which make contatct when you press it.

C is the easiest. Get something from radioschak or whrerever and screw it onto a piece of wood.

B I know nothing about, seen some other threads on it though

A is my preferred choice. Just buy any guitar pedal which has a really good feel to stomping on it. Pry it open. Find through logic and exploration two points in side it onto which you can solder your two wires and which make contact when you press it (Here comes the voltmeter again). In the pedal I have (Behringer Bass Limiter Enhancer BLE100) they are where the picture illustrates

3) Finish it off
Solder your two wires onto the contact points in your pedal. Plug in the pedal to the Xplorer and play. Have fun.

Also, I feel obliged to inform you that star power pedals are (even though I for one can not for the life of me understand why) considered cheating on scorehero. So use it on XBL as much as you want but be honest when posting scores here...

Lastly sorry for the poor picture quality. Will try to get a better setup over here. Also for all the other questions, sorry for the delays, just be patient, i'll come to that. One a day or so...

Last edited by guran on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
guran  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetsterDajet wrote:
Too bad you did it on an explorer, but it sounds like you took most the mechanical garbage that was in there and put in your own quality stuff. By the way, I have that same cold cathode tube and PS in my computer case, lol.

...the main difference being that the computer has quite a bit more juice more readily available than the Xplorer...

KrookedT  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude that is great! you get my vote for mod of the year, and prolly electrician of the year too. nice...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G-Rad wrote:
How much would you charge to build me one of these? lol

mikepalermo1 wrote:
How much would it cost for you to make me one of theese beauty's?

Holland wrote:
how much to make me one?

..no seriously...how much? for all the parts + labor. just for the lights...or hell..just for the lights in the fret buttons.

Husegun wrote:
3) Do you ever plan on making a production model for Sell?

Well, when we started out with this it was to build guitars to use in the the WSVG competitions. The original plan was for a suite of guitars each crazier than the other to be used at the different show, with Nimrod, this one, being only the first. As you all know WSVG did not happen so the others are still only schematics and yet to be built... (Even without VSWG I think we can't resist doing at least one more....)

So originally we never intented to build guitars to sell them - We just wanted to build a damned cool guitar. As for building them to sell, I am sceptical, but have not yet totally discarded the thought. I am sceptical mainly because I like the idea of uniqueness - that there is only one of each kind. I'd principally much rather sell the one I have, or donate it to scorehere or something (which I might very well do if I am convinced that there will never be any worldwide competition scene for GH and decide to give it up)

Commercial production in any scale though will never happen. These babies are best made by hand, with lots of sweat... The gig bags however can easily be produced in scale if anyone wants one.

Husegun wrote:
How much did it cost you all together?

The beast is actually quite expensive. If I disregard all the materials, components and tools I bought but never ended up using in the final product (lots of thoose...) I think it looks something like this:
1) Pedal ~ 40 USD
2) Gigbag ~ 50-60 USD
3) Lights (diods, cold cathodes and what not) ~ 80 USD
4) Electronics ~ 80 USD
5) Materials (plastics, etc.) ~ USD 10-20
6) Power supply ~ USD 60
Totalling to USD 320 - 340. It is however quite likely that many of the parts would be cheaper in the US.

EDIT: And I forgot. Paint also comes on top of this

Husegun wrote:
How long did the final build take?

Risky Business wrote:
How long did this project here take you?

It took loads of time. We ran the project for roughly 3 months. If I exclude all my shopping (which probably took most of the time running back and forth to weird places hunting for killer diodes) we spent 2 full weekends (morning to night) and 8-10 evening 4 hour sessions just building the thing. On top of that maybe a day or two of working on the plastics and software. All in all something like two weeks full time. There was a lot of trial and error, testing, and would be quicker to build the second time around, but still, it requires a bit of insanity to embark on it.

WisdomTurtle  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome
piratetrips12  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help.

I am not very good electronically. I have an SG so I can't really follow your guide step-by-step, but I'm assuming it would pretty be the same process.

Would it be plausible to say I could find the two select button points on my SG, solder a wire to them, then run the wire out of my guitar and onto a big button on the floor and it work?

Also, if I wanted it to look better, would I be able to find the 2 points on my circuit board, solder the wire to them and a mono jack, then run a cable from the jack to a actual guitar pedal that the jack would plug into and when I press it star power would go off?

Hope you respond soon, thanks.
RiskyBusiness  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what? Your friend RiskyBusiness has ANOTHER question for ya, this one isn't nearly as complicated either :p. Can you do this with the Kramer for the PS2? I don't have an Xplorer OR a 360.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: