ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH2 Tournament - Dec. 16th - Dallas, TX @ CPL 2006 Finals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mordred  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I had so much fun at the MGC (even though I still dream about how close I came to winning the last qualifier) I'd love to make this one, even though I know I can't win. However, odds are very poor that I'll be able to make this one. I'll be up in Dallas, but not sure exactly what I'll be doing, and I'm leaving for Albuquerque the next day I think.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some schedule-juggling -- I'm planning to be there. Bring it! Mr. Green
JGross  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because VGL ran MGC through Nov 18, we did not have much time to pull this together. We tried to get some sponsors and offer good prizes. A few companies expressed interest but were not able to make a commitment in the short time frame. Hopefully things will go well at this tournament and we will have the opportunity to run console tournaments at future CPL Events and with a proper lead time we will be able to offer more for prizing.
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b3nz0r wrote:
To elaborate on the prizes thing.

How are you going to make the prize something that you have to already own if you want any chance of winning that prize?

Sure it's nice to have a spare guitar or two but...c'mon.

Who cares about the prizes?

Its all about the best at scorehero coming to put on a great show, and to prove that Jordan can be 5*
CloudFuel  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to get a list of who all will be attending? Also, since I can't be there, is this thing gonna be broadcast in some way? (tv, web, etc)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
b3nz0r  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
b3nz0r wrote:
To elaborate on the prizes thing.

How are you going to make the prize something that you have to already own if you want any chance of winning that prize?

Sure it's nice to have a spare guitar or two but...c'mon.

Who cares about the prizes?

Its all about the best at scorehero coming to put on a great show, and to prove that Jordan can be 5*

I'm still dreaming of media coverage being there and suddenly GH becoming another Halo for cash and prizes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b3nz0r wrote:

I'm still dreaming of media coverage being there and suddenly GH becoming another Halo for cash and prizes.

From the CPL site:
Television coverage will be provided by MTV and GIGA TV. Online video coverage will provided by GotFrag TV.
sluggo  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the final count on who's going? Any interest in a meetup earlier in the day? I have no idea what the setup will be like, but it might be fun to get some Scorehero co-op going.
xD1x  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on going today, but I found out yesterday I have work all night. I guess that faceoff that we didn't get at MGC will have to wait JW2.
JW2  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xD1x wrote:
I was planning on going today, but I found out yesterday I have work all night. I guess that faceoff that we didn't get at MGC will have to wait JW2.

Were you the guy with the broken hand?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: powfordamage PSN Name: powfordamage
xD1x  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was me. I'm pretty sure you could have kicked my ass on just about any song, but I wanted to try you out on CfH.
hsatakeit  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this isnt showig up on gotfrag

its saying cpl starts tomorrow,the 17th
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: hsa take it gh3
b3nz0r  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I figured MTV would be there. Too bad I couldn't make it. It was either go to the tourney and win the game again (optimistically speaking) or stay home and work and be able to (hopefully) pay rent.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results: ScoreHero represents.

1. quackadilly
2. sluggo
3. JW2
4: Sephi

It was a smaller tourney than I'd hoped -- only 15 or 16 people played. The initial matches were played on a table full of TVs that the CPL shoehorned the VGL into. I found myself playing War Pigs in my first match with Rock this Town blaring in my ear 2 feet away, which made it really hard for me to play.

The semis and finals also had some drama, as MTV asked us to move to a large projector screen that had some obvious lag issues. Here's how it went down (my apologies if the scores are wrong, I'm trying to write this down before I forget):

semi 1: Sluggo vs JW2
- Sluggo picks Crazy on You; Sluggo wins (~20k)
- JW2 picks Carry me Home; Sluggo wins (~30k?)
Sluggo advances

semi 2: Quackadilly vs Sephi
- Quackadilly picks The Light That Blinds; Quack wins (~150k?)
- Sephi picks Hangar 18(?); Quack wins (I have no idea what the spread was)
Quackadilly advances

3rd place match: JW2 vs Sephi
- JW2 picks Six; JW2 wins (~100k)
- Sephi picks Freebird; Sephi wins (~60k)
JW2 wins 3rd, Sephi takes 4th

1st place match: Sluggo vs Quackadilly
- Sluggo picks Who Was In My Room Last Night; Sluggo wins (~46k)
- Quackadilly picks One For The Road; Quack wins (~60k)
Quack takes 1st, Sluggo 2nd

I felt like I blew a golden chance to steal the final. There must have been 10 songs Quack could have destroyed me on, but he happened to pick one I'm close to FCing... and I played it like crap. I even had a chance to pull it out near the end, but I missed The World's Simplest SP Phrase and cried as I watched a stream of 3-note chords go by without an x8.

Actually, I felt lucky to even be in the final four. I played a miserable qualifier (Girlfriend), had a horrible score on War Pigs in my first match, and was just relieved to beat Brooksycc7 in our quarterfinal (thank you, BatH). I thought JW2 was going to win our semi for sure, but I put together a great run on Crazy on You, and the lag obviously gave him trouble on Carry Me Home.

I'll save any further editorializing for later -- I'm sure the other guys will chime in as well (let the Hyper Mode discussions begin!). Even if the conditions weren't optimal, I'm glad the VGL took the trouble to organize this tourney and I could meet and compete with some of the Scorehero crowd. Hopefully we'll get to do again many more times. Mr. Green

(Oh, also, there are pics. Those soon as well.)
Thrice  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldve gone...and lost horribly but i didnt feel like traveling a few states over just for a guitar hero tournament lol

did anyone from scorehero get taken down early? if there was anyone else besides you 4.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: