ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH2 Tournament - Dec. 16th - Dallas, TX @ CPL 2006 Finals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkshell  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there... long time reader, first time poster and all that

So I was there last night with these guys as well, and for the most part the tournament was 'Ok-ish'. The trouble was that, well, it was simply an afterthought to the proper CPL and wasn't really given the planning it needed. I could handle the TV's all jammed next to one another and hearing the other person's music blaring in my ear, but I really felt for the final four that had to deal with the projector, particularly JW2 (Sorry Sluggo) who didn't get a chance to calibrate the lag, and never really came to grips with the delay. Sluggo coped with it pretty well though, so full credit to him.

Sephi and Quack spent about 15 minutes trying to calibrate lag before finally getting their match underway as well. It seemed that Sephi was coping with it pretty well, but Quack was struggling :\ They finally got it to a point that was ok for both of them, but ideal for neither. Let this be a lesson learned - Big Screen Projectors suck for Guitar Hero ;)

As for myself, I landed somewhere in the 5-8 bracket, which isn't too bad for someone ranked in the 80's at his first tournament I had the wonderful luck of drawing Sephi in Round 2, so my hopes weren't too high, but I put up a decent fight with him coming through in Monkey Wrench by around ~10,000 points, and him squeezing out the win in Raw Dog after I played an invisible note at around the 95% mark by ~2,000. That one was hard to swallow, let me tell you, but well played to Sephi He hung in there like a champ and my nerves and inexperience simply got the better of me.

It was great to meet everyone, and hopefully we can get some pics up ASAP. I'm particularly keen to see Sephi's MTV special Everyone keep their eyes peeled and let us know if they see it someplace!

Last edited by darkshell on Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
MLafer  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, i feel for Quack and Sephi who came from so far away and probably spent tons of money and then got a half-assed effort.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Woohoo! Reply with quote

Helloooo! This is the guy with the Zakk Wylde stickers on his guitar (tight jeans too). I got to play Quackadilly! And got beat! What an experience ! It was pretty fun for my first tournament. Man, I kept shaking when I was playing everyone. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time. I might go today; hopefully, GH2 will still be there. The Freebird ending was pretty cool. Hope to see everyone soon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: WAREZABOUTS 01
darkshell  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
damn, i feel for Quack and Sephi who came from so far away and probably spent tons of money and then got a half-assed effort.

You mean in terms of the competition? Yeah, it was pretty ordinary, unfortunately. Most of the people who lost in round 1 were clearly non-competitive players, which means there were maybe 8 or so actual strong players. The lack of competition coupled with the lack of good organisation (Sorry - I spell it with an 's' Mr. Green ) just meant that it didn't go as smoothly as it should have.

But, still, I'm sure that a fun time was still had by all.

What we really need is an official Red Octane sanctioned tournament. If they want to get serious about promoting this thing, they should fly the top 32 Score Hero players out to a venue of their choosing and film THAT. Flights (For continental US players) would average around $250 a pop I'd say, and rooms could be had for as little as $75 p/p, p/n (Going by 2 to a room). That's a little over $10k (Which in all reality is a drop in the bucket compared to what Guitar Hero has probably grossed) and a chance to really promote the Hell out of the game.

Ah well. There's always hope, isn't there?
darkshell  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Woohoo! Reply with quote

ArtesEscuras wrote:
Helloooo! This is the guy with the Zakk Wylde stickers on his guitar (tight jeans too). I got to play Quackadilly! And got beat! What an experience ! It was pretty fun for my first tournament. Man, I kept shaking when I was playing everyone. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time. I might go today; hopefully, GH2 will still be there. The Freebird ending was pretty cool. Hope to see everyone soon!

Haha Yeah, competition is pretty intense, isn't it? It ain't like sitting at home in your living room. You get once chance, under pressure, and you can't screw it up!

Hope you had fun though dude. Sorry you had to draw Quack in the first round. Maybe next time!
darkshell  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm spamming it up while I'm sitting in the airport :P

Here's a pic I grabbed of Quack (Left) and Sephi posing with the Santa Girls. Apologies for shit quality, my camera is ass.

MLafer  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkshell wrote:

You mean in terms of the competition? Yeah, it was pretty ordinary, unfortunately. Most of the people who lost in round 1 were clearly non-competitive players, which means there were maybe 8 or so actual strong players. The lack of competition coupled with the lack of good organisation (Sorry - I spell it with an 's' Mr. Green ) just meant that it didn't go as smoothly as it should have.

But, still, I'm sure that a fun time was still had by all.

What we really need is an official Red Octane sanctioned tournament. If they want to get serious about promoting this thing, they should fly the top 32 Score Hero players out to a venue of their choosing and film THAT. Flights (For continental US players) would average around $250 a pop I'd say, and rooms could be had for as little as $75 p/p, p/n (Going by 2 to a room). That's a little over $10k (Which in all reality is a drop in the bucket compared to what Guitar Hero has probably grossed) and a chance to really promote the Hell out of the game.

Ah well. There's always hope, isn't there?

I mostly was talking about the lag problems with the projector screens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Fun fun fun! Reply with quote

Yeah, it was really nice to play one of the top players, though. I wanted to get a photo-op with Quack I missed the chance though. Grr. Anyhoo, I did have fun for my first time. And it is a lot different than playing at home. Nonetheless, it was nice. I met new people and made some friends (and bumped into like a hundred people ) GameStop is hosting a tournament next February. I don't know many details about it, but I'll try and get as much info ASAP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: WAREZABOUTS 01
The-Jack  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed out. Who won?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The-Jack wrote:
I missed out. Who won?
That would be Quackadilly.
JW2  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who came out. The tournament was not without its "bumps in the road", but it was fun and I hope that more GH2 tournaments happen in the future.

Here are some pictures I took over here - http://powfordamage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14

My prize for being third place.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: powfordamage PSN Name: powfordamage
ArtesEscuras  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Shweet Reply with quote

That's a pretty shweet prize. I would've preferred it over the 2nd place prize :3 The deck art reminds of American Wasteland. And here's my prize for being 5th place: . There. Heh, it was vewy cool though. I can now brag to my friends that I played against some of the top players out there! Yee!
JW2  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go.

Best picture ever:

First player side is Sluggo and the second player side is me. Best qualifying song scores ever!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: powfordamage PSN Name: powfordamage
sluggo  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so unbelievably horrid in the early matches I thought I was going to get bounced in the first round. I might as well have been playing with oven mitts. Drunk.

I felt I redeemed myself later with my Crazy on You run, however. Standing up (I typically sit), on the laggy projection screen, with MTV cameras in my face, I put up ~375k with a perfect 12/12 SP, which almost beat my all-time best for the song.
quackadilly  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JW2 wrote:
Here we go.

Best picture ever:

Haha!!!! Best picture my ass....you forgot about this one:

EDIT: That is JW2 with his qualifier score on the right side of the screen. no speed mod allowed on qualifier

Last edited by quackadilly on Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: