ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
How to play Hangar 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jowhannez  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: How to play Hangar 18 Reply with quote

Hangar 18

Hi again! Since everybody seemed to like my other thread(, How to play Institutionalized http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41858), I've decided to make one about Hangar 18 aswell I think I'll start off as i did on my other thread:

Hey! My names Johannes, and i rarely post on the Scorehero forums. (Although i read a lot, and post scores.) Sorry for my bad grammar, as im not english but norwegian

What you need to know before you start:
- The song Hangar 18 is one of the hardest song to FC on the game.
- Many new players find it very difficult to keep a combo on this song, but i will not focus on helping you manage trough the song.
- Im making this guide to help experiented players obtain a better score, and maybe learn something off it.

Table of content:

1. Hand position
2. The solos
3. Star power
4. End/Info ect.

1. Hand position

Okay, first of all, I'd reccomend you to change your hands position.The hand position decides either if you combo or not in many situations, so it comes very in handy. The thumb should be underneath the guitar neck, instead of on the side. This makes you able to play a LOT faster than you normally would do, and it also makes you able to stretch your fingers longer. It might be a bit difficult at start, but i guarantee it will definitly help you along.

(NB! Remember that the finger position only helps you move your fingers faster, it doesen't make you the fastest in the world, so you must work on that and not only trust your hands that you're fast enough)

2. The solos

Hangar 18 got many difficult solos that are hard to hold a combo on. They are as following: 1A-B, 3B, 4A-B, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9... Christ, this will take me a while.

1A

The only reason why i included this one was because of the pretty quick . Many people find it hard to combo this, but it's actually pretty simple. The trick is to get your index, long and ring finger up to the three last notes. Now, when your fingers are positioned, you got a ocean of time to take of. Wait a bit with playing it, because it's a brake there. Obviously it's a much shorter brake than I'm trying to say it is. The point is that it's a brake there. (You can also do this with fingers 234, although i won't recommend it. It might happend to you, but its not much harder than with fingers 123.)

1B

This one's a bit worse than 1A. It's one big "hard part". But I'll work it out.

A)

And then we got the:

B)

And the tricky one:

C)

Also there's this ending:

D)

Now, A's the fastest part. It's pretty easy when you've learned it and got the right hand position though. You start off with pinky on blue and scale it down to the , then you hold it down while HO-PO the . Then you scale it up to the again, and HO the trill as you like. (With fingers: 123 or 234. I use 234)

You do B almost exactly as you did A, although you swap the first with an , and there's no trills

C might be a problem. It might be temptating to strum the second Y: a bit too early, and that makes you loose your combo. Wait for it! After that it should be cake.

(If you find D difficult to perform, just practice it, its a bit slower than it looks!)

3B

3B really ain't that difficult. The only point that I actually (sometimes -.-) loose my combo on, is the scales:

A)

B)

They both are almost the same thing. The thing about these scales, is that they are extremely fast. You only hit them if you are lucky. Again, the hand position is important.

4A

The only parts in 4A that might cause you some trouble, is the:

A) (Trill)

And

B)

The hardest one is A, since it has a not-tappeable note in it. (The .) While B's just a regular up and down scale.

4B

Now, while the other solos I've posted so far's pretty easy, Hangar 18's solo 4B, is among the hardest solo's in the game! It's extremely hard to combo, and only a few people actually have. (I haven't, if thats what you're thinking.) I'll break it up to you and try my best.

A)

This is the intro, and then we got:

B)

Now, for the extreme difficult part:

C)

Then one of the hardest trills ever:

D)

Okay, i see as i type now, that the smily icons make this solo looks easy and split up. Well its not

A's pretty easy, once you've learned the right speed. I can help you on the way by telling you that the fast frets are double as fast as the ones right before it.

B's also easy(, compared to C and D), if you can hold a combo trough A. I recommend you to hit the first note of all the triplets if you're going to combo it, since theres a note in there that ain't tappeable. (I don't know witch so i strum all the first notes of the triplets .)

C's worse. The starting is probably the fastest of its kind. I really can't help you on this one since I've never comboed it in full speed. If anyone out there got a tip for me, I'll be ever graceful . But I'm pretty sure the hand placement are vital, also here.

The trill in D are also very fast. I've comboed it many times though. I repeat it; it's VERY fast, so you got to hammer on to kill! Don't forget the annoying in the middle. Always gets me

Not hard compared with 4B, but got some tricky stuff in it.

A) ect.

And

B)

A's easy. If you can strum your way trough that, you can possibly FC it.

B's a pain in the *** though, my tip would be to learn to play it in practice mode before even attempting to play it trough.

Solo 6 looks real hard, but is actually very simple to pull off. I'll show you how to do the parts.

A)

And after the trill we got:

B)

If you can hit the trill, then B should be no problem at all. When you enter the trill, just play as normal, then you keep the green fret held down while hammering on the red frets.

If you use the hand positoning as i described earlier, then you should be able to do the 's in B with fingers 234. Then you can keep your hands and one place instead of sliding it.

Solo 7 looks just as hard as 4B but is in reality much easier. I'll split it up for you:

A)

And up again

B)

You can start by getting you 123 fingers up to . If you can do that, you should be able to combo a lot of it. If not then the only thing that helps is practice. If you're having big-time problems with comboing anything of this part, you should try out ghost fingers(, if thats whats it called.) Instead of jumping from ring finger to index finger on the scales, you can just play it like it was this:

The B part is the hardest one. But again the hand positioning is vital. Use it and you should do fine.

Solo 8 got a lot of "pinky work" in it. (As described in Jameslikecoulter's video http://youtube.com/watch?v=GqiXu3UWRw4 .) The only tricky parts of this solo is the:

A)

And the trill right after it:

B)

The A part's easy to do, the only hard thing about it is your finger positions. Practice it and it should be easy.

The B part's also easy, two safe strums should do if you are having problems. (Both at a note) Remember the hand position! It really helps on trills!

Solo 9 is the solo i find it hardest to keep a combo on. I can't seem to find the rythm on the fast notes. I don't find it nessacary to put it up because it's not hard to hit at all. Maby the last part though:

If you can hold a combo at this one w/ star power, it should get you over to 400k if you've done a decent run (Thats in the outro, but i had to write something on 9 .)

That was it for the solos! (Phew...) Now for the star power!

3.Star power

The star power on Hangar 18 aren't so difficult to pull off as it might seem. I'll show you what SP path I'm using now:

1st: Get three SP phrases and use at once! It should last out the first part of solo 1B.

2nd: Get two SP phrases and use at once again!

3rd: Get two, use at the first .

4th: Get two, use at the start of solo 7.

5th: Get 3, use it at the last before the outro. (On the first )

Ah, finished! Im not quite sure how much points this path will get you with and FC, but its around 489-490k. For the optimal path, i recommend you visiting debrs gallery of SP paths! (http://www.bradleyzoo.com/GuitarHero/index.html)

Thank you for reading trough my guide! Make sure you check out my Institutionalized guide aswell! And don't forget to leave me some constructive critism while you're on your way! Ill make some GH3 guides when i feel like it!

Last edited by Jowhannez on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:57 am; edited 2 times in total
GallantPugly  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not combine both threads (and future "How To Play''s) to make a pretty good guide?
Jowhannez  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:O :O :O Good idea! Ill do it at once!

Last edited by Jowhannez on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only you wrote these two weaks ago when I five starred both H18 and Inst. This would of seriously helped. BTW, your English isn't that bad so don't worry about it
Jowhannez  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, im trying my best! I hope these guides will help out for everybody!

thegibbonator  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your guides are excellent, really easy to see what I'm supposed to do.

Thanks!

My last.fm profile. My musical taste is obviously superior to everybody else's. Even if it does include black metal, classical and synthpop.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: Tetrinity
Jowhannez  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that many read, but hate that few post (CC) comeon!

Bump btw

dreamaddict  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last Solo, with a string of Orange notes, is triplets (24ths I believe). Since I am familiar with music theory (somewhat), I just alt strum that part really fast and count my downstrums as Trip-Ul-Et-Trip-Ul-Et....each trip-ul-et takes up 1 beat...

I guess I can't really post enough about music/rhythm theory to really be able to explain this better, but it is a good thing to learn. Anyhow, once you figure out how to do the triplets, the only hard part is stopping at the end if you want to get your FC.

Sig picture brought to you by GuitarHailz™
Jowhannez  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamaddict wrote:
The last Solo, with a string of Orange notes, is triplets (24ths I believe). Since I am familiar with music theory (somewhat), I just alt strum that part really fast and count my downstrums as Trip-Ul-Et-Trip-Ul-Et....each trip-ul-et takes up 1 beat...

I guess I can't really post enough about music/rhythm theory to really be able to explain this better, but it is a good thing to learn. Anyhow, once you figure out how to do the triplets, the only hard part is stopping at the end if you want to get your FC.

Can you try to explain this a bit better? Do you mean by the "Trip-Ul-Et-Trip-Ul-Et" that you should repeat that inside you when strumming?

dreamaddict  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jowhannez wrote:
dreamaddict wrote:

Can you try to explain this a bit better? Do you mean by the "Trip-Ul-Et-Trip-Ul-Et" that you should repeat that inside you when strumming?

Heh...I'll give it my best shot, though it takes a lot of explanation if you don't understand music. Anyways:

OK, so music is divided into beats, like when you tap your foot to a song, you are tapping your foot to the beat. And in music, everything is represented as a fraction of a beat. On GH2, the big fat line on the fretboard comes up pretty much once every 4 beats, and skinnier lines come up every beat, and there are lines every half a beat as well.

So the chords in the intro are half a beat apart, meaning that if you are alt-strumming them, you make sure your downstrums are on the beat, and if you strum evenly you will neatly and cleanly hit every single one without any problems. Now the triplets are different, instead of just 2 strums in a beat, there are 3. So instead of counting the beat as "DOWN-up-DOWN-up-DOWN-up-DOWN-up" (with the DOWN on the beat), you have to count it as "DOWN-up-down-UP-down-up-DOWN-up-down-UP-down-up" (with the one in capital letters on the beat) Musicians usually are taught to count this kind of beat by saying the word "triplet" with 3 syllables like "TRIP-ul-et-TRIP-ul-et-TRIP-ul-et-TRIP-ul-et"

Ah, screw it, I'll put up a video in a few days that shows how this sort of thing applies to GH and then it should be more obvious, since this sort of thing comes up all the time in game discussion and it's hard to explain with just a verbal description.

Sig picture brought to you by GuitarHailz™
Jowhannez  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will include this in my guide, fantastic that you want to help

TheRiff  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guides are amazing. I can see myself getting better really quick with these. Thanks pimp!

New goals:
FC Slither [ ]
FC The Outsider [ ]
FC Seventeen, I Wanna Rock, or, R&R [ ]
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that path will not get you 490k with an fc. you'd have to go optimal and execute them decently to get 490

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: