Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guide: LOAD *GH3* ON ALMOST ANY *PC* - NEW GH3BOOST SOFTWARE
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaXKilleR  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Guide: LOAD *GH3* ON ALMOST ANY *PC* - NEW GH3BOOST SOFTWARE Reply with quote

As you know by now GH3 for the PC demands a lot to run. If you got it running this is not going to help you (although it might help with hardware limitations) because I am focusing on getting passed the "This game does not support your video card, Please refer to systems minimum req." massage that pops up.

Just a disclaimer to ensure that we are clear:
Code:
This guide is presented to AS-IS and I'm not responsible for anything that might happen as a result of following it.

Before you start make sure that you install the latest drivers for your video card.
Code:
The reason I put almost is because you need to have a card that support at least Pixel Shader V2.0 and DirectX 8.1 (check mark "emulate other DX8.1 caps" in 3D Analyze) for this fix to work. Make sure you understand that your CPU is emulating what your GPU can't do, so in essence you need a CPU that can handle the load.

OK here is what you need:
Code:
3D Analyze : http://www.3dfxzone.it/files?object=3dfx&objid=100

This program allows you to spoof your video card ID and emulate what hardware limitations your video card might have.
Code:
Once you install the program run it and press the SELECT button, locate your GH3 folder (x:\Program Files\Asypr\Guitar Hero III) and select gh3.exe

The settings I've used gave me the best performance I could get out of my unsupported video card. I tested it on my laptop (Fujitsu T4220) which has the Intel GMA X3100 video chip, but I'm pretty sure that it will work on most new-ish laptops with Intel video cards. Most Nvidia ATI video card can run the game if they support pixel shader 2.0, but this still might help you overcome the hardware transform and lighting limitations.

These settings worked for me but you can go trough a trial and error process to see what the other options do. The ones that mess with the textures and rendering will mess up the entire game so it won't help you. The most important fixes are the HW TnL emulation and the Device ID spoofing. The Counters is optional since all it does is display your fps and some other info. A few settings that you should try checking if the game doesn't load with my settings are:
Code:
*emulate HW TnL caps*
*emulate other dx8.1 caps*
*emulate pixel shader caps*
*emulate max. sim. textures*

Now that you got those settings checked, press RUN and the game should load. Go past the intro and get to the menu, options, graphics and set the lowest settings.
Code:
Resolution 800x600
Graphics Detail Low
Crowd Off
Physics Off

Now you can exit and go back to 3D Analyze. Create a shortcut with the following link (change the location of GH3 and/or 3D analyze if you installed them elsewhere)
Code:
"C:\Program Files\3D Analyzer\3DAnalyze.exe" /EXE=C:\Program Files\Asypr\Guitar Hero III\gh3.exe

This should run 3D Analyze and the game.

I didn't see any difference in performance between V1.0 or V1.1, but you are welcome to test this fix on both of them.

The next thing you can do to ensure it doesn't lag is remove the stages and character animations:
UPDATE:
Here is a program I wrote to quickly apply the Black Background fix and clear animations fix. These features will be in my upcoming GUI as well but I think no one should have to wait for this. Read the README file and ENJOY!
~Guitar Hero III: Performance Boost~
~Mirror 1~
~Mirror 2~

I tried getting rid of the visual effects but with no avail. Maybe someone else can figure it out and ill update the tutorial.

Just something that I discovered. I updated my drivers after trying 3D analyze because I couldn't get the screen to stretch at smaller resolutions than native (1400x1050). I accidently started the game without 3D Analyze and it started (This shouldn't happen). I tried playing the game and it looks like the new Intel drivers took care of a few things but the fret board art is moving backwards so its very confusing to play (adds an extra dimension of difficulty if you will...) so I am still sticking to 3D Analyze. I might be wrong about it being the Intel drivers but it doesn't really matter.

Another IMPORTANT thing that you should know is that 3D Analyze doesn't close properly. This means that it is still running even if you pressed the X. Pressing the shortcut more than once will create multiple processes of 3D analyze so the best way work with it is to have Task Manager on screen to close all 3DAnalyze.exe processes.

I hope this tutorial helps you get your rock on, on any setup!

Thank you to *Waffler* for steering me back to find 3D Analyze!

Last edited by MaXKilleR on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:04 am; edited 5 times in total
4512jth  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but GH3 just fickered and then shut down. I also have Intel, 82865G. I am trying to upgrade my drivers. I also read that GH3 flickering could be caused by a bad soundcard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Hertz4512
MaXKilleR  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4512jth wrote:
Thanks, but GH3 just fickered and then shut down. I also have Intel, 82865G. I am trying to upgrade my drivers. I also read that GH3 flickering could be caused by a bad soundcard.

I'm not sure about the bad soundcard but try running it with only HW TnL check marked. I have the Intel GM965 and u have G865 that runs the GMA 3000.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#Table_of_GMA_graphics_cores_and_chipsets
You have a higher clock speed but your chip doesn't support PS4.0. It should be able to run the game since the game runs in PS2.0 mode when you go with that device ID.

Another thing you can try is change the device ID to 816 and check mark the pixel shader emulation.

What's your laptop specs? It might be because you don't have enough ram or a slow processor.

Last edited by MaXKilleR on Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
4512jth  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Desktop computer. It is Pentium 4 2.6GHz dual core with 1GB of RAM. If I only check HW TnL caps, then it will still not let me play due to graphics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Hertz4512
MaXKilleR  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4512jth wrote:
It's a Desktop computer. It is Pentium 4 2.6GHz dual core with 1GB of RAM. If I only check HW TnL caps, then it will still not let me play due to graphics.

It's the RAM. GH3 runs on ~310mb of ram. I'm assuming you're running XP so you can still run it if you turn off everything else and run windows without services (~200mb ram).

Edit: Try the "emulate pixel shader caps" and "emulate max. sim. textures"
4512jth  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaXKilleR wrote:
4512jth wrote:

It's the RAM. GH3 runs on ~310mb of ram. I'm assuming you're running XP so you can still run it if you turn off everything else and run windows without services (~200mb ram).

As in end them through Task Manager?
EDIT: nvm, I know what you mean. Just close all programs I can.
4512jth  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried exiting out of all programs and I ended up using 170mb of ram ( As far as I can tell) and it still wouldn't work.
MaXKilleR  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try checking the "emulate pixel shader caps" and "emulate max. sim. textures" hardware limits?

Try checking "emulate DXT textures" and "VOODOO flicker fix" (this might be it).
4512jth  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, didn't work. I gotta get to bed though.
MaXKilleR  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to update to V1.1 if you didn't already an get the latest drivers for your video card.

Oops I just noticed that you have a completely different video card than mine. Your chipset is WAY different (about 6 generations) than mine (865G vs 965G).

Your video card doesn't support DirectX 9 only 7 and 8 so thats why its not loading. The only thing that might help is checking the "emulate other DX8.1 caps".

Frankly I doubt you'll be able to get it in a playable state even if you manage to load it, simple because that's intel's first line of video cards and was not made for gaming at all (even at the time it was released). I'm not sure if it supports pixel shader 2.0, but if it does it should loaded now.
Waffler  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MaxKiller you should add some partial credit since I told you that there is a way to bypass it by emulating graphics cards :P
MaXKilleR  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waffler wrote:
Hey MaxKiller you should add some partial credit since I told you that there is a way to bypass it by emulating graphics cards :P

I knew there is one before but I didn't look much and than I found it right away when you reminded me. But sure why not.
AlexisMachine  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaXKilleR wrote:
It's the RAM.

No, it isn't. I have a PC with 1GB RAM and XP and GH3 runs fine. It's probably video.

I have a notebook PC that I'm trying to get it to run on, and it's giving me fits. Every now & then I can get it to play through a song. Usually, it gets to where it loads the level and crashes to the desktop. I have an older Intel video chip as well; if I get it working I'll post it.
MaXKilleR  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexisMachine wrote:
MaXKilleR wrote:
It's the RAM.

No, it isn't. I have a PC with 1GB RAM and XP and GH3 runs fine. It's probably video.

I have a notebook PC that I'm trying to get it to run on, and it's giving me fits. Every now & then I can get it to play through a song. Usually, it gets to where it loads the level and crashes to the desktop. I have an older Intel video chip as well; if I get it working I'll post it.

We already cleared that it's not the RAM.

The for older models try running with the following things checked:
*emulate HW TnL caps*
*emulate other dx8.1 caps*
*emulate pixel shader caps*
*emulate max. sim. textures*
4512jth  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my father's computer, and he won't let me use my better card because he thinks I'l mess it up. So I guess I'm screwed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 1 of 29

Jump to: