Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Chart<-->Mid Converter
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leff  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Chart<-->Mid Converter Reply with quote

Just a heads up: I'm not developing this anymore, and I'm not really a regular visitor to the Software forum anymore, so reporting bugs and requesting features is probably a waste of energy. Any possible problems you have have surely been addressed somewhere in this thread, so just have a look.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attention: FeedBack supports just about any .mid file you can throw at it. So unless you need a bunch of them converted at once, I'd go with FeedBack to do Mid2Chart conversion. So this is now only really useful for Chart2Mid conversion (that way is more stable anyways).

VISTA USERS: If you get the "Cannot find main class" error but you've done everything right and have tried running the program as the administrator... well you're screwed, Vista blows balls. Try the .exe file.

This program is designed to generate .mid files formatted specifically for Guitar Hero 2. The format for GH3 is different, but it has been confirmed to work with GH3 for PC.

TheOmniSuave wrote:
It works for both, I've been using it and I have GH3 for PC.

Don't post saying your mid/chart didn't convert correctly without linking to the file in question. "It didn't work" doesn't help me help you.

Freetar and FoF mid files are not supported.

Make sure you extract the files to your computer. You cannot run the program from inside the zip archive.

Everyone wrote:
HELP! I DOWNLOADED THE PROGRAM AND ALL I SEE ARE WINZIP/WINRAR FILES! NOW WHAT?

Don't associate JAR files with WinZip or WinRAR
Download the latest version of Java from java.com.
Option 1 - Then from any folder, go to Tools-->Folder Options-->File Types-->JAR files, and change the program it opens with to a Java Runtime Environment (C:\.....\Java\jre <version>\bin\javaw.exe).
Option 2 - Run from the command line with the following command in the directory you extracted the jar:
java -jar Chart2Mid.jar
Use Google if you need help with this, it's not rocket science and this thread is for comments about the program itself, not how to use a computer.

Everyone else wrote:
HELP! I RUN THE PROGRAM AND IT SAYS "Could not find the main class. Program will exit." NOW WHAT?

You're missing the lib directory or have its contents not in that folder. You must use the Extract function of WinZip so it gets set up correctly like this:

Inside the lib folder should be 'swing-layout-1.0.3.jar'

If you get any bugs or something isn't converted right, please post here.
[/troubleshooting]
----------------------------------------------------

Update 1/18/08: Fixed the section names created when converting either way so they load and are read correctly from FeedBack.

Update 1/13/08: Basically an update for myself - When importing a mid with no EVENTS track, "Marker" events (FF 06) from the sync track will be parsed as section names. I do this because I use these when charting with Guitar Pro 5, and that means I don't have to go and re-add them when using FeedBack.

Updated 1/09/08:
- For some reason Java sometimes (there's been one case) decides it can't read what appear to valid MIDI sequences. If you get an Unknown Error message, try using GameZelda's ChartGen. Sorry.
- Fixed a bug when converting multiple .mid files. (Last file created would include every file before it, yeesh...)

Updated 1/07/08:
- Implemented a GH/RB option (radio buttons, not in the current screen shot), which only decides whether or not to write a PART DRUMS track or not. Chart2Mid gives the option, Mid2Chart writes it if it's present.

Updated 1/06/08:
- (Chart2Mid) Generates default FaceOff sections (the entire chart) if none present.
- Added reverse conversion Mid2Chart.
- Changed the UI to allow queueing so many files can be converted at once. Both .chart and .mid files accepted, and will be converted to their opposite form. Labeled notifications still appear at the bottom. Conversion may take a couple seconds per song, so be patient if converting a large number of songs.

Updated 12/30:
- Figured out how to get rid of that awful Java User Interface and switched to a Windows XP UI.
- Added a text field that will display any modifications made to the chart. This includes the offset, adding a missing end event, and ignoring unsupported text/track events. Valid events were determined using the list from katamakel's sticky, "GH2 MIDI Encyclopedia/Dictionary."
- It's been reported that all difficulties need at least one event, so any empty note tracks now have the trademark 5-button chord at position 0. This will also appear in the Notifications area.
- For whatever reason, some charts have exponentially small offsets (123e-456), so any Offsets smaller than .001 (dB's smallest increment) are ignored and treated as 0.

Any more checks I should put in? Let me know, I realized I should probably make damn sure these will work in GH if this is for people who can't use GHex to clean them up at all...

Usage:
Extract all files to the same directory, run the jar file. Make sure .jar files are not associated with WinZip or WinRAR on your computer.
Locate a .chart or a .mid file. (repeat)
Press Convert.

New mid or chart file can be found in the same directory and with the same name (with the opposite extension) as the original file that was converted.

Instructions, Errors, and Confirmation will appear next to the Status.
Modifications/Issues will appear in the lower text area.

Download it here (JAR) or here (EXE).

Thanks a ton to everyone who helped me test and debug this!

Last edited by Leff on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:17 pm; edited 44 times in total
Spot2004  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, I've tried this on one of my charts but it didn't do an offset. Maybe there should be an offset option on the application?

Also, I opened it up successfully in FeedBack, but all my notes all hold notes and it looks very strange. (Here is my chart if you want to know for reference http://www.savefile.com/files/1283775) I haven't tried to load this in GH3, but I will try tomorrow.
[x] 420/420* - Endless Setlist 2
[ ] G* Rude Mood
Customs/Previews (8/1)
Newest: Nottingham Lace - Buckethead
Preview: Hearts Burst Into Fire - Bullet for My Valentine
Leff  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the offset thing, as I see it, is really more suitable for VGS files, that's how I've always used offsets (on the mp3 to match the mid, not the other way around). I'm not sure if FeedBack has a different function/definition of it, so elaboration is welcome.

And yes, they'll look awful in FeedBack, but that's because dB's .mid support is very limited, mainly just official GH mids work correctly. I had the same problem with the perfectly valid mid files I've been making since day one. So the litmus test for how accurate the mids are coming out will be their preview in GHex, really.

GameZelda  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to convert the Eruption (CH) version and Rude Mood and I got the infinite/extremely long sustains problem with both.

I've tried ordered the sections manually, and that doesn't still work.

Here's the chart file: http://www.savefile.com/files/1287016

Sorry if the problem comes from my Mid2Chart. It seems to work perfectly in GHex and Feedback

Anyway, thank you for that useful program, I'm sure that it will be perfect when you got those small bugs fixed! Linux and X360 gamers will love it

GH:WT-PS2 Customization Progress
[100%] Make it work (w/songs loading) in a DVD5 (thanks psychospacefish!)
[100%] Modify audio (Finally done 25/11/2008)
[100%] Modify charts (Done 26/11/2008! Customs finally )
Leff  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameZelda wrote:
I've tried to convert the Eruption (CH) version and Rude Mood and I got the infinite/extremely long sustains problem with both.

Sorry if the problem comes from my Mid2Chart. It seems to work perfectly in GHex and Feedback

Anyway, thank you for that useful program, I'm sure that it will be perfect when you got those small bugs fixed! Linux and X360 gamers will love it

Are the terrible sustains in GHex as well? I know FeedBack will distort them. My main concern is GHex. That's a perfect game preview. There shouldn't be bad sustains, because there are Note Off events their appropriate places in the mid when I analyze it in a hex editor. If these sustains appear in GHex, I've royalled screwed up something and I need to hold off on even giving out a beta version of this until I can look at it myself in GHex.

Anybody have a GHex report? (Sorry if you were talking about GHex, GameZelda, I couldn't tell if you were talking about both programs or just FeedBack)

GameZelda  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leff wrote:
GameZelda wrote:

Are the terrible sustains in GHex as well? I know FeedBack will distort them. My main concern is GHex. That's a perfect game preview. There shouldn't be bad sustains, because there are Note Off events their appropriate places in the mid when I analyze it in a hex editor. If these sustains appear in GHex, I've royalled screwed up something and I need to hold off on even giving out a beta version of this until I can look at it myself in GHex.

Anybody have a GHex report? (Sorry if you were talking about GHex, GameZelda, I couldn't tell if you were talking about both programs or just FeedBack)

Yes, I'm talking about GHex
GHex
Anyway, the problem could be caused due the bad way that my MID2Chart does the charts
Anything else seems to be working fine except the sustains.

Leff  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the pic, didn't mean to be a pest, it looks terrible, lol.

Of course I'm not going to point fingers at your Mid2Chart, you're quite obviously a more skilled programmer than I am. Having said that, though, I see no reason why those should be sustains, the program generates Note Off events (0x80 - command 8, on channel 0). When I listen to the mids generated they don't sound like they're all sustaining - I can clearly hear which notes are held and which are terminated immediately.

It is encouraging to see that the bpm changes and star power events display correctly though. That's strange though - Star Power notes sustain correctly but everything else is wrong?

Also: If anyone runs into a bug that adds an event multiple times (eg 4 [play] events, one from each skill level) I've already fixed it, but it's not worth rebuilding the jar and re-uploading it.

Last edited by Leff on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
GameZelda  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leff wrote:
Thanks a lot for the pic, didn't mean to be a pest, it looks terrible, lol.

Of course I'm not going to point fingers at your Mid2Chart, you're quite obviously a more skilled programmer than I am. No, I am not. I did learn C only 3 months ago, but I did also know PHP a year ago, but didn't do too much with it at all. Having said that, though, I see no reason why those should be sustains, the program generates Note Off events (0x80 - command 8, on channel 0). When I listen to the mids generated they don't sound like they're all sustaining - I can clearly hear which notes are held and which are terminated immediately. So, I mean, it might be something with your Mid2Chart, but I'll obviously look into this more when I get back to my computer. Maybe the problem is caused because Mid2Chart generates "unordered" charts, but I can't see any reason that can be causing this on the generated and ordered chart.

It is encouraging to see that the bpm changes and star power events display correctly though. That's strange though - Star Power notes sustain correctly but everything else is wrong? Something's fishy with that, lol.

Also: If anyone runs into a bug that adds an event multiple times (eg 4 [play] events, one from each skill level) I've already fixed it, but it's not worth rebuilding the jar and re-uploading it.

PD:

I'm going to test one thing.

The test is just: Open the chart in Feedback, then save it. dB cleans a lot of junk, but after opening and saving it, it doesn't work anyway.

I think that the problem is, at least in part, in your Chart2Mid

bodom0015  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested it out on one of my personal charts, Brompton Cocktail, by Avenged Sevenfold. Here are my results:

Before converting (BromptonCocktail.chart):

After converting (BromptonCocktail.mid):

Section 1: The Pre-Chorus
This section illustrates the previous idea of the endless sustain, as outlined.

Section 2: The Introduction
As well as showing the endless sustain, this section shows the previously stated offset problem as well as why it could be an issue. You will notice the 5-note chord at the first measure bar. This happens on normal charts when FeedBack has an offset of 0. GHex also does this when converting charts to midis. It is an inherent problem in the conversion. I am not really sure what causes it, but I know that many charters do what I do and use the FeedBack offset method in order to keep their charts looking professional and match up with the lines. And yes, I've checked. This 5-note chord does show up in-game.

Section 3: The Solo
This is basically just an extreme display of the endless sustain. But wouldn't it be crazy if I left the real chart like this?

Anyways, hope that helps. Good luck with development!
Spot2004  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. Oddly enough when I play the .mid in GH3, it gives me the old version of the song.. I tried replacing the .mid over another song and the game crashed.
[x] 420/420* - Endless Setlist 2
[ ] G* Rude Mood
Customs/Previews (8/1)
Newest: Nottingham Lace - Buckethead
Preview: Hearts Burst Into Fire - Bullet for My Valentine
Leff  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks bodom, that looks just awful, lol.

I'm thinking right now that perhaps it's because when I generate a Note Off event, I give it a velocity of 0? I used 0 just because I saw a couple examples doing so but it kinda seems a velocity of 0 would cause the note not to register perhaps? Other than that it's gunna take some real figuring out.

I'm not really sure what causes the 5-button chord at the beginning either, I'd always worked around it just by using a rest for the first measure when making my .mid files, I thought it was only generated if you tried putting a note at offset 0. If I understand correctly, setting Start to 1 in FeedBack moves everything back one quarter note, and that's how you ensure there's no 5-note chord? FeedBack also doesn't scroll back to before that point, so what does the tempo/time signature default to? I noticed in your example the first measure was at 4/4 time at 7bpm, so did you use a Start offset of 4? And what determines the tempo at that point?

EDIT: ^-- that's all crap. I looked at your chart, Offset was 30.1. Doin some more reading I inferred that offset is measured in seconds? Then I can just use that real-time to make one measure of rest that will last as long as the offset? And then just add 1920 to every tick to account for the added measure at the beginning? Doable I think... (not included in the update described below)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much again for the screen shots and descriptions, I updated the jar link to set Note Off velocities to 64 and to offset the chart by (Offset * 480 ticks), so if you (anyone) wanna do another quick test just for those two issues that'd be nice. The tempo and time signature before the start of the actual chart will default to (Offset/4) time at 120bpm just because I don't know what else to do with that at this point. Step 1 is getting rid of that 5-note chord, then we can figure out what to do with the tempo.

Last edited by Leff on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
bodom0015  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leff wrote:
Wow thanks bodom, that looks just awful, lol.

I'm thinking right now that perhaps it's because when I generate a Note Off event, I give it a velocity of 0? I used 0 just because I saw a couple examples doing so but it kinda seems a velocity of 0 would cause the note not to register perhaps? Other than that it's gunna take some real figuring out.

I'm not really sure what causes the 5-button chord at the beginning either, I'd always worked around it just by using a rest for the first measure when making my .mid files, I thought it was only generated if you tried putting a note at offset 0. If I understand correctly, setting Start to 1 in FeedBack moves everything back one quarter note, and that's how you ensure there's no 5-note chord? FeedBack also doesn't scroll back to before that point, so what does the tempo/time signature default to? I noticed in your example the first measure was at 4/4 time at 7bpm, so did you use a Start offset of 4? And what determines the tempo at that point?

EDIT: ^-- that's all crap. I looked at your chart, Offset was 30.1. Does that still mean 30.1 quarter notes? And the tempo is calculated so that those 30.1 quarter notes are contained in one measure?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much again for the screen shots and descriptions, I updated the jar link to set Note Off velocities to 64 and to offset the chart by (Offset * 480 ticks), so if you (anyone) wanna do another quick test just for those two issues that'd be nice. The tempo and time signature before the start of the actual chart will default to (Offset/4) time at 120bpm just because I don't know what else to do with that at this point. Step 1 is getting rid of that 5-note chord, then we can figure out what to do with the tempo.

Start offset was around 30 in dB. I think this translates into 30 seconds. It basically just adds in the equivalent of 30 seconds before the first note.

As for the 5-note chord, I'm not sure if GHex adds that out of error or if it just happens as a result of the Chart > Midi conversion. All I know is that if the offset is 0 and there is a note there, there's a problem. :\

Sorry that I don't have more to add, but I'll be glad to help out more when I can be of use.
GameZelda  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, It doesn't work. But here is the reason, I think...

The first bad note is the 4th red:

Here's your midi, in textual format (with GHParse, included in the Chart Generator pack).

In bold, the expert notes.
Quote:

5760 (+0): Note-on > Note 97, Speed 100 R
5760 (+0): Note-on > Note 60, Speed 100
5760 (+0): Note-on > Note 85, Speed 100
5760 (+0): Note-on > Note 73, Speed 100
5920 (+160): Note-on > Note 98, Speed 100 Y
5920 (+0): Note-on > Note 86, Speed 100
6080 (+160): Note-on > Note 87, Speed 100
6080 (+0): Note-on > Note 74, Speed 100
6080 (+0): Note-on > Note 99, Speed 100 B
6080 (+0): Note-on > Note 61, Speed 100
6240 (+160): Note-on > Note 75, Speed 100
6240 (+0): Note-on > Note 88, Speed 100
6240 (+0): Note-on > Note 62, Speed 100
6240 (+0): Note-on > Note 100, Speed 100 O
6480 (+240): Note-off > Note 86, Speed 0
6480 (+0): Note-off > Note 98, Speed 0 Y
6480 (+0): Note-on > Note 86, Speed 100
6480 (+0): Note-on > Note 98, Speed 100 Y
6600 (+120): Note-off > Note 97, Speed 0 R
6600 (+0): Note-off > Note 85, Speed 0
6600 (+0): Note-on > Note 85, Speed 100
6600 (+0): Note-on > Note 97, Speed 100 R
6600 (+0): Note-on > Note 72, Speed 100
6720 (+120): Note-off > Note 99, Speed 0 B
6720 (+0): Note-off > Note 62, Speed 0
6720 (+0): Note-off > Note 74, Speed 0
6720 (+0): Note-off > Note 87, Speed 0
6720 (+0): Note-on > Note 99, Speed 100 O
6720 (+0): Note-on > Note 87, Speed 100
6720 (+0): Note-on > Note 62, Speed 100
6720 (+0): Note-on > Note 74, Speed 100

As you can see, for some reason you're not closing the notes until another note-on for the same note comes, that results in a "infinite sustains" look.

Leff  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well isn't that a kick in the pants... thanks for the confirmation on that, I just can't figure out why they're not being placed correctly. Here's the method that should be adding the note on/offs (exception handling removed).

Track track = midi track to be added to
int note = note frequency
int v = velocity (speed)
long tick = time-stamp tick (parsed from first number of a line of the chart)
long sus = sustain (parsed from last number in a note event line of the chart)

private static void addNote(Track track, int note, int v, long tick, long sus) {
// Note On Event at tick
ShortMessage on = new ShortMessage();
on.setMessage(ShortMessage.NOTE_ON, 0, note, v); // 0 = channel 0
track.add(new MidiEvent(on, tick));

// Note Off Event at (tick + sus)
ShortMessage off = new ShortMessage();
off.setMessage(ShortMessage.NOTE_OFF, 0, note, v);
track.add(new MidiEvent(off, tick + sus));
}

So I mean, it puts the Note On events in the right place (tick), and it should put a Note Off event either at the same time if there's no sustain (tick + 0 = tick) or at the end of its sustain (tick + sus). And why would the star power sustain correctly? (Your previous pic linked "GHex") Color me confused...

If I'm missing something obvious let me know, otherwise I'll just have to start playing with it this weekend try to figure somethin else out.

Last edited by Leff on Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robin  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When trying to convert charts with a decimal offset, I get a NumberFormatException because parseInt is being used to read them instead of parseLong.

....Yeah, these stack traces really are helpful!

EDIT: HAHAHA, look what I found in the file format details!
Riff wrote:
Guitar note processing rules
----------------------------

1) Note-on events indicate the start of a guitar note
2) The end of a note is indicated by a corresponding note-off event or by another note-on event, both occuring at a non-zero number of pulses after the start of the first note-on event
3) The pulse duration of a note is determined by subtracting the timestamp of the note-on event from the corresponding endpoint event.
4) Notes with a pulse duration shorter than 240 pulses are considered to be non-sustained notes
5) Valid non-sustained notes must have a corresponding note-off event. If a note endpoint is a second note-on event and the duration of the note is less than 161 pulses, the game considers the note to be an invalid note and it is ignored for all purposes (as exhibited by Cheat on the Church)
5) If a player section note-off event occurs more than 15 (30?) pulses prior to the endpoint of a sustained note, the sustained note is ignored by the game for all purposes, even in single player mode (as exhibited in the solo of You Got Another Thing Comin')
6) At any given time stamp, note-off events will be placed before note-on events. Duplicate note-on and note-off events within the same timestamp are ignored for purposes of determining note endpoints. In this case, the term "duplicate" means a situation where a note-on or note-off event specifies the same note-number as a prior event occuring at the same timestamp.

So putting the note-offs at the same time as the note-ons was what was causing the infinite sustains glitch. I hope.

You just lost the game. Sucker!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: