Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
SG/PMS^Lammy won a laptop by playing GHWT...on GUITAR?! xD
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentimentalgeek  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: SG/PMS^Lammy won a laptop by playing GHWT...on GUITAR?! xD Reply with quote

(March 16, 2009) Wow, I haven't really paid attention to this thread in a long time, mostly because I don't play much GH anymore... But since this may never happen again, and Rock Band has nothing to do with it, I guess it's time to dredge this thread up from the depths. o_o

This past weekend there was a GHWT tournament taking place at multiple Toyota Scion dealerships in the Northwestern US (Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Idaho, and Montana, I think?). Rules were that you got to pick any song you wanted, and you had to try to get the highest score possible on guitar, on any difficulty. The top three scores at each dealership won prizes, and I believe all the winners from each dealership are entered into a grand prize drawing to win a car.

I went with fellow ScoreHero'er/PMS|H2O teammate MrPulsar to our local one in Seattle, mostly to cheer him on, but then I decided I might as well give it a try too. I didn't expect to win anything necessarily, but the experience of playing competitively would be good, right?

I'll write more details below, but to make a long story short: I ended up taking 2nd place and winning a Dell laptop! (MrPulsar took 1st, of course - he got a 42" HDTV.) Here we are with our prizes:

Oh btw, special shoutout to another SHer/H2O teammate Tempest who took 2nd up in Alaska.

Now for more juicy details: since the tourney was score-based, song choice and pathing were key. I did a little research ahead of time and decided my best bet would be Lazy Eye. The only songs with potentially higher scores are Pull Me Under, Sweet Home Alabama, and Stranglehold - all of which are difficult enough (for me) that I couldn't count on getting a high score under the best conditions, let alone performing them well under pressure. Also, someone would need to complete the in-game career to unlock Pull Me Under, which was unlikely (and indeed, when we got there, it wasn't available).

When we arrived and saw the scores, I felt a little excited because the top score was only about 385K, and I felt I could easily beat this. But there was still the x-factor of having to perform in a foreign environment on a non-calibrated TV with strangers watching.

Pulsar got 624K on Sweet Home Alabama, easily taking 1st place. I played Lazy Eye and got 515K, which was good enough for 2nd by a long shot. We had a couple hours to kill before they announced the winners, and no other contestants were around, so we went out to find something to eat.

We returned about 20 minutes before the close of the contest, and at this point the person who was now in 3rd place (at 480K with a Rooftops FC) objected because hyperspeed 1 had been turned on when we played. Yeah, we'd noticed it was on, but the game was like that when we'd started it up, so we'd assumed it was okay. Luckily the people running the tourney didn't disqualify us or anything - they just wanted us to replay our songs without hyperspeed so everyone would have a level playing field. Alright, fair enough.

So we played our songs again. To be honest, I think I was more nervous this time because I felt I had to justify myself. Pulsar got 625K the second time around, and I managed to reach a personal high score of 557K. I think I only missed 3-4 notes, all in the earlier parts of the song, and got a 1000+ note streak which included all the strumming at the end (the part that's considered a Solo in RB2). Of course, I normally play without hyperspeed so I guess it makes sense that I did better, much to the disappointment of the person who was in 3rd place. (If that person's on ScoreHero by the way, sorry. >__> )

But um, YAY! I won something by playing a video game!! And on a game/instrument I'm not even that good at, go figure.

======

My GH3X FCs:
#1: Closer (sightread)
#2: Heavy Metal Lady (sightread)
#3: Sabotage
#4: When You Were Young
#5: Slow Ride
#6: Mississippi Queen
#7: Miss Murder
#8. Lay Down
#9. Story Of My Life
#10: Generation Rock
#11: Bulls On Parade
#12: Anarchy in the UK
#13: Ruby
#14: Radio Song (for league 9)

----------

GH1 Guitar God Countdown:
[ ] Texas Flood (-11,532 pts) - close, yet so far!
[ ] Cowboys from Hell (-103,754 pts) - not sure this will ever happen...
[ ] The Breaking Wheel (-45,978 pts) - can prob get this someday but dislike the song

GH2 Log Countdown:
[ ] Psychobilly Freakout (-47,284 pts) - hoping this will just click someday
[ ] Misirlou (-39,155 pts) - alt-strumming for the lose!

GH 80s Log Countdown:
[ ] Play With Me (-12,291 pts) - need to improve a LOT on the solos

GH3 El Jefe Countdown
[ ] Raining Blood (-74,279) - UGH
[ ] One (-13,667) - I'm really inconsistent on Darkness riff

=== (Past updates) ===
(Jan 22, 2008) Beat GH2H on lefty flip!

(Jan 27, 2008) 5-starred Freebird and Hangar 18

(Feb 6, 2008) Beat GH1H GH2H, and GH80sH on LEFTY FLIP. Never failed a single song. Got a decent amount of 5* scores on the first try too - yay! Finally 5-starred Freya Expert (righty) as well.

(Feb 26, 2008) Beat GH1X AND GH2X lefty! Passed both Hangar 18 and Freebird on my first attempts! Think I only died on Laid to Rest (couldn't wrap my head around "backwards" HOPOs).

(Mar 8, 2008) 5-starred Rock This Town and Caught in a Mosh.

(Mar 20, 2008) Finally got GH3 (PS2) and beat Expert career in one week! Beat Raining Blood last night and Lou today. FC'ed Closer and Heavy Metal Lady on sight-reads

(Apr 13, 2008) 1 month of GH3: 18.5 million points and 12 FCs!

(June 3, 2008) Mostly working on Rock Band now, but got 2 new GH3X FCs

(July 27, 2008) Joined PMS Clan and became PMS^Lammy!

Last edited by sentimentalgeek on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:52 am; edited 31 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: SG Lammy
theREALspecialK  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good! Out of every song there, I'd say Psychobilly Freakout is by far the biggest pain in the ass.

Many people fail trying to dance as awesomely as I do.

if i helped you, help me. http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81233
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: special k666666
CryofthePlanet  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you get Guitar God. PF will most likely be the hardest there. Evil song, indeed...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
buckelin  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with all your goals

I'm no too far from the log too...
Rock this town
Psychobilly Freakout
YYZ - I know I can have it, just hate the song on expert so I don't play it
Misirlou - Aouch, I am teh suck in alt-strumming

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumped for my silly experiments with ambidexterity.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: SG Lammy
Note  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty nice. I played maybe 10 songs on hard and then a few tiers of expert on lefty flip some night I was bored. Getting the RYBO-position down was awkward at first, but you start to get used to it rather quickly. I had to hold the controller "righty flipped" at times to just see how I am holding it and then try to transfer that pose
sentimentalgeek  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got 5 stars on Freebird and Hangar 18 today.

Now only Freya, Rock This Town, Psychobilly Freakout, and Misirlou stand in my path...
sentimentalgeek  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5* on Freya, which is lame but I perform abnormally badly at that song so it certainly feels like an accomplishment to me.

My continued messing about on lefty-flip has been more successful than I anticipated, since I've now beaten GH1, 2, and 80s on Hard mode and am now progressing through Expert. Whee!
sentimentalgeek  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumped because I have now beaten GH1 Expert career and GH2 Expert career on Lefty flip. Yeehaw!

Now I need to work on those 80s songs, but I don't think I'm going to beat Play With Me on Lefty flip anytime soon. The only way I can beat it currently is by whammying the heck out of that last star power phrase in the solos, which I can barely do right-handed, so it's seriously not going to happen left-handed. Stupid whammy handicap...
wupun  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's pretty crazy. O_o

You don't hear about many, if any, people completing Expert on lefty so nice job man. =)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger PSN Name: Wupun
Araruko  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome man!!

I always wanted to try that... since S5 when I got it as a twist for Red Lottery...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, wupun and Araruko! Compared to most people posting accomplishments on here my scores are pretty mediocre, so playing lefty in addition to righty was just sort of a weird experiment in seeing if I could attain other kinds of goals.

I'm still mediocre, but I can be mediocre in multiple ways, dangit!
Bird  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty damn awesome.

Congratulations man.
blakstang98  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, congrats on the righty and lefty expert completions. I could never do that, I always associate the fretboard on the screen with my hands and it would never happen. Awesome job, now beat Jordan on lefty flip.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've tried just shout at the devil on expert on lefty flip and its been lolfail. I guess i was born to stay a righty. anyways, congrats on the non-conventional accomplishment. it's something the vast majority of ppl on here cant say they've done
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: