ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
ITT: How to make your GH3 controller live longer+buttonfix.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: ITT: How to make your GH3 controller live longer+buttonfix. Reply with quote

I don't know if it's already been covered, but I didn't see it around and it's incredibly simple. Although, if you're already having unresponsive button problems, it may be too late. i'll explain later.

The problem is caused by the neck locking mechanism not being tight enough, letting the neck slide back and forth in the small amount of slack in the lock. I used 2 thicknesses of electrical tape to take up that space, and my neck doesn't move a fraction.
It might be too late to apply this if you're having trouble already because jiggling the neck back and forth causes the pins to dent the exposed contacts in the neck until eventually they don't make contact any more. I'm going to experiment with putting a blob of solder on the contacts to get them to spark again and I'll edit the result in.
For now, never rattle the neck around, and the earlier you fix it the better, to prevent damage to the contacts.

Last edited by Usagi on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
ADAMAZiD  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it. Tested it.

Working a damn treat, Thanks alot Usagi
SomeDude666  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. Never thought of that. It looks a whole lot better than the rubber band thing people are doing, and you don't have to worry about it snapping Nice work

Get Log[]
Be the 1st to FC TTFAF on expert[] (Because HellAshes FC'ed Jordan x3)
FC all expert boss battles on lvl 5 hyperspeed[]
Become known as 1337[] <-- Probably isn't going to happen XD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: S0m3 DuD3 666
howlong  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very smart and easy fix good idea...my LP never screwed up good fix though
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: lilhaywood999
Qaszimon  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My yellow was already screwed apparently, but damn smart idea.

I know for sure that I will use this the second I get a new Les Paul.
TheRealGawker  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can personally verify that tinning the contacts in the neck makes a huge improvement.

My Kramer had horrible little dents and it seemed like the plunger pins were going to wear right through the contacts into the PCB rendering the whole thing worthless. After reading this thread tonight trying to find a fix for my GREEN button not responding consistently (and discovering the wear and tear on the contacts) I took it upon myself to tin the contacts with regular old radio shack flux core solder.

Anyone having problems ought to do the solder tinning on the contact points if for no other reason than preventative measures since I believe the solder will be harder to wear through than the contacts themselves. Plus the slightly raised level caused by the solder means more pressure from the springs behind the plungers to keep good contact...a winner all around.

Sadly I cannot find my electrical tape to stiffen the neck up yet but as soon as I do I'm going to try to add that to it as well.

To sum up...

TIN YOUR NECK CONTACTS WITH SOLDER! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!
Usagi  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure anything similar would work, it doesn't have to be electrical tape. That was just something I had to hand, and it happens to be extra sticky, and squishy enough for the lock to press into.
It looks a bit awkward getting to the contacts in the Les Paul to fix the contacts, I didn't get time to do it yet.
Usagi  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I soldered the contacts, and what a difference. From being unable to keep a single hold note on green, yellow, blue or orange, now all the buttons are 100% responsive.
The only problem I had was that the contacts themselves had some coating on that resisted the solder. If you're going to solder them, scrape off the coating until you get to the metal underneath, and even if your wire is self-fluxing, use some extra flux.
mikepalermo1  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait so If I wanted to tin my Contacts, I would only have to the the ones with the deep impressions in them then do this fix right?

Usagi  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to tin them all, but I did anyway. Even if there isn't any damage to some of the contacts, tinning them will prevent them getting damaged.
SomeDude666  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a link to this in the Guitar Modding 101.

Get Log[]
Be the 1st to FC TTFAF on expert[] (Because HellAshes FC'ed Jordan x3)
FC all expert boss battles on lvl 5 hyperspeed[]
Become known as 1337[] <-- Probably isn't going to happen XD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: S0m3 DuD3 666
Mashishi  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at my Les Paul tonight b/c I am dropping holds and half the time my G Y and B buttons don't even work. I was going to solder little bits onto the each of the connection spots, but the dots are so tiny and i don't think I can solder onto each spot w/out having the solder touching other solder. That would make all the buttons go off with the press of any button right? Any suggestions from the people who already did this?

Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled!
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is to hardwire those all 8 of the neck connections. You can try to add the solder first and if you mess up, go with the hardwiring anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashishi wrote:
I looked at my Les Paul tonight b/c I am dropping holds and half the time my G Y and B buttons don't even work. I was going to solder little bits onto the each of the connection spots, but the dots are so tiny and i don't think I can solder onto each spot w/out having the solder touching other solder. That would make all the buttons go off with the press of any button right? Any suggestions from the people who already did this?

Use a very little blob of solder and it'll stay in place.

EDIT: This hasn't worked for my LP... and I tried to hardwire but I suck at soldering (even though I've been doing this for 4 years at school )
Gotsmack  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franciss wrote:
EDIT: This hasn't worked for my LP... and I tried to hardwire but I suck at soldering (even though I've been doing this for 4 years at school )

While soldering the wires together during a hardwire fix is recommended, it's not 100% necessary.

If you can get the 2 wires connected without pulling apart then it's as good as soldering. Splice the 2 wires together and wrap in electical tape. You can use a pair of pliers to crimp the connection after you applied the tape to help secure the hold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: