ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
About GH3 Results/Roster Splits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something like this shows how amazingly popular the leagues are around here. this is awesome because this kind of thing is important to us. keep up the good work guys nd i can't wait to get my ass kicked in whatever league i qualify for.
ShinobiAC  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwkemrtapu wrote:
elx wrote:
doubleornothin wrote:
Sax wrote:
Hmm, I might have a chance to be in AAA now.

This.

Its also kind of sad though.
AAA won't mean as much as before

Actually, it will to an extent. AAA used to be roughly the top 3rd of players, it is still going to be about the same ratio of players, just out of a much larger pool.

Actually, because a larger pool of players is used, being in AAA would mean that much more because the percentage of being placed in that league is that much lower due to the size of the group. Being in AAA out of 100 people means a lot more than being in AAA with 10 people.

This makes no sense. AAA isn't the top X people, it's the top percentage of people. It's the same percentage no matter how many people are in. Therefore, assuming the influx of people is on the bottom end of talent and that the elite players were all already doing leagues, it will be much easier to get into that top percentage to participate in AAA.

Heck, I almost made the top 1/3rd with 1 FC, a -3, and poor performances in the last two songs. 268 2/3rds is 1/3 of the 806 person roster and I'm 269. I'm definitely not AAA material!

It might make more sense to limit AAA to the top X number to support 3 divisions. Then it would be the elite of the elite at any time and larger bases of players would just make it that much harder to get in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can we pretty safely use these rankings to find our division? i.e., I'm roughly 400th, so I'll be in the middle of AA?
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattgee wrote:
So can we pretty safely use these rankings to find our division? i.e., I'm roughly 400th, so I'll be in the middle of AA?

Think they said elsewhere that that's part of it, but that your regular SH scores are also factored in, which is why they didn't already just split us into groups of 45 (and why it's not already done).

Looking at the regular scores would, I guess, help catch things like if someone got abnormally high scores on these songs but that these songs just happen to be some they are exceptionally good at, and that most of their other scores aren't as good. And vice versa. And probably also making sure people weren't sandbagging, playing these songs not so well on purpose to get placed in a lower league.

I do not envy them that job, but I do appreciate all the work they do. So looking forward to this month!

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
Anaesthesia  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woozerkristen wrote:
Looking at the regular scores would, I guess, help catch things like if someone got abnormally high scores on these songs but that these songs just happen to be some they are exceptionally good at, and that most of their other scores aren't as good. And vice versa. And probably also making sure people weren't sandbagging, playing these songs not so well on purpose to get placed in a lower league.

And then there are people like me. I literally just started playing Expert a week before the leagues started. Most of my GH3X scores on SH are first or second attempts, whereas with a week to work on league scores I've been doing a lot better -- 50-100k better in most cases in Week 1, but my Stricken score was nearly 200k better than my first pass, which was my SH score until Sunday.

Hell, I hadn't even bothered playing any non-setlist tracks on Expert before Sabotage, and now Radio Song/PotR/Impulse.

However, in my opinion my league submissions are a better gauge of my ability than my SHDB subs. I wonder how that will turn out.

FC progress (GH-GH2-80s-GH3-GHA-WT)
M: 47-64-30-70-41-86(G)-84(B): 422/422
H: 41-55-25-62-36-65(G)-72(B): 356/422
X: 22-20-11-33-20-51(G)-68(B): 225/422

"Forgive yourself, for no one else will die for your crimes."
Boon  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anaesthesia wrote:
However, in my opinion my league submissions are a better gauge of my ability than my SHDB subs. I wonder how that will turn out.

I also think League submission are more relevant than standard score (Sandbagger detector aside) because it show what you can do in league condition i.e. Songs you don't choose and limited amount of time...

So I think the final roster will be quite near the simple division (at least for the people in the middle) but looking more carefully for the the people in first or last place... It might be interesting to put someone in higher or lower category in order to keep it interesting for him and the others.

Quite a lot of work if you consider all the people and the implication of putting someone last of a group instead of first for the group below...

Ideally, everyone in a given group should have a chance to be in the top 10 for a song during the whole season.

My blog (in French)
Tyrael17  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anaesthesia wrote:
woozerkristen wrote:

And then there are people like me. I literally just started playing Expert a week before the leagues started. Most of my GH3X scores on SH are first or second attempts, whereas with a week to work on league scores I've been doing a lot better -- 50-100k better in most cases in Week 1, but my Stricken score was nearly 200k better than my first pass, which was my SH score until Sunday.

Hell, I hadn't even bothered playing any non-setlist tracks on Expert before Sabotage, and now Radio Song/PotR/Impulse.

I'm the same way and I agree with your thought. League pushes me to actually go for score instead of just the play for fun sightreads I've done (and submitted ) turns out I'm pretty good when there's people to beat... I just hope my crappy sightread scores aren't factored in too much. I'd rather be middle of the pack in AA than dominate A.

Anyway good luck dealing with all billion of us competitors, we appreciate it
kwkemrtapu  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShinobiAC wrote:
kwkemrtapu wrote:
elx wrote:
doubleornothin wrote:
Sax wrote:
Hmm, I might have a chance to be in AAA now.

This.

Its also kind of sad though.
AAA won't mean as much as before

Actually, it will to an extent. AAA used to be roughly the top 3rd of players, it is still going to be about the same ratio of players, just out of a much larger pool.

Actually, because a larger pool of players is used, being in AAA would mean that much more because the percentage of being placed in that league is that much lower due to the size of the group. Being in AAA out of 100 people means a lot more than being in AAA with 10 people.

This makes no sense. AAA isn't the top X people, it's the top percentage of people. It's the same percentage no matter how many people are in. Therefore, assuming the influx of people is on the bottom end of talent and that the elite players were all already doing leagues, it will be much easier to get into that top percentage to participate in AAA.

Heck, I almost made the top 1/3rd with 1 FC, a -3, and poor performances in the last two songs. 268 2/3rds is 1/3 of the 806 person roster and I'm 269. I'm definitely not AAA material!

It might make more sense to limit AAA to the top X number to support 3 divisions. Then it would be the elite of the elite at any time and larger bases of players would just make it that much harder to get in.

This does make sense, in the fact that it gives a better evaluation of skill. Let's say that 100 people sign up for the expert leagues. roughly 33 of them will be in each division (for argument's sake). If 1000 people sign up, then there will be 333 people in the division. Granted, it's a larger sample size, but it gives you a better idea of your skill (on SH). I could win AAA-1 all day long if 10 people of average skill signed up, but with 1000 people signing up, it gives you a more accurate idea of where you really stand among SH users, thus, getting into AAA is more of an accomplishment, and winning means that much more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LongOffTheTee
ShinobiAC  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwkemrtapu wrote:
This does make sense, in the fact that it gives a better evaluation of skill. Let's say that 100 people sign up for the expert leagues. roughly 33 of them will be in each division (for argument's sake). If 1000 people sign up, then there will be 333 people in the division. Granted, it's a larger sample size, but it gives you a better idea of your skill (on SH). I could win AAA-1 all day long if 10 people of average skill signed up, but with 1000 people signing up, it gives you a more accurate idea of where you really stand among SH users, thus, getting into AAA is more of an accomplishment, and winning means that much more.

If it were a completely random sample of members, I would agree. Statistics are more important and relevant with larger sample groups. However, this group is one that is entered by choice. Past leagues will show that you will always get a large percentage of the most skilled players, and that this pool does not change much over time. Thus, the influx of new players can be attributed to those of mediocre or low skill. It is possible that an equal amount of players has enrolled in every skill level though. I'm just speculating here, so I'm definitely willing to say that you could be absolutely right, but at first glance it doesn't seem logical to me.

I think we can both agree that making AAA is an impressive feat. Whether it is slightly easier or harder or more relevant this season will not change the fact that it remains a great accomplishment! Congrats to all that make the grade.

Best of luck in OB, kwkemrtapu. Interestingly enough, we have almost the same league score after week 1! 168.79 for you and 168.57 for me. What are the chances? o.O

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooow I am definitely happy with my rank for my first try at leagues (50).

good luck in upcoming weeks and good job league mods on the hard work!

Also, what do u think is the cutoff for AAA-1?

EDIT: lol just thought I'd throw this in. I played the PS2 rock band hard drums for 45 minutes and it got me 13th

Last edited by TheVacuum7 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vampire-Jekyll  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, i knew you guys wouldn't be quite able to keep up with so many new participants.
Season 9 Standard Controller Champion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: FourItchyTasty
Barfo  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moteman wrote:
I hope the Rock Band drum league gets sorted out because there are at least 3 people in the medium league that obviously need to be bumped to hard.

[edit] actually, after going thru all my leagues I'm noticing that each league has a small group that dominates every song they do. If the same 3 people score 100% on each song do they get bumped up?

If this was covered somewhere else I'm sorry. I don't have time to read every post and scour the forums.

Unfortunately, due ot their newness (also there is not a lot of historical data entered in terms of rock band sores for any instrument but gtr-X, and even that pales in terms of scores compared to GH), the RB leagues are for this season Open. Which means no bumps. Definitely, one of the big orders of business after seeing how these go is goign to be to figure out a way to systematically approach it and have a sensible and 'fair' system for having qualify leagues, but it just wasnt going to happen for RB this season (especially becase we knew the sore entires was goign to go way up due ot site integration). So we figured even thoguh they arent ideal, open leagues beats no leagues, and we will try and learn form it and make it better for next season.

Also in terms of the meaning of AAA discussion, I am in the camp taht being in 'AAA' means just about the same thign because it is still roughly one-third (in practice AAA usually actualy had a slightly lower per-division partiipation rate compared ot AA which is usualyl about 5%). But because it s apool of 800 people and 18 divisions, being in AAA-1 (or AAA-2) means a lot MORE, since it means you are in the top 40ish people ot of 800 rather than the top 40ish people out of 320 (past record for participation set during season 7 i think).
ViPeR6  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, seeing as i'm 227th overall, i can assume im going to be in like AAA4-6? That would be one hell of a bump from A-1 last season lol.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the songs i've put up on scorehero are just scores i received from beating the game, no sp path, and randomly pausing the game to get drinks and stuff =p. I agree that though checking regular score to prevent sandbagging is a good idea, scores shouldn't be calculated in negatively.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Lemeng Meringue
M002  

Location: Westhampton, Suffolk County, Long Island, NY, U.S.A. Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, rank 221, thats not too bad for me
Who knew not squeezing out the extra 2K exactly on sabotage would bump me down soo much
And ouch, I knew my RaRaN score sucked
so, 221 out of about 775, Looks like I just missed out of the top 1/4, but still the top 1/3
so Not too bad for me, I'm happy
so, about 43 people per division.... 221/43 = 5.1, shit, that Means I might land in AAA-5, snapppp, didn't see that coming, I hope I did my math right!, expert is soo much better than hard btw

EDIT: I realized now that the Point 1 will actually push me beneath 5. which means i'll be in the 5-6 range AKA AAA-6
and the P.1 indicates I have a good chance at being at the top, lol
but I did my math wrong ne way
804/18 = 44.6--> 45 per division 221/45 = 4.9 shitt, I don't lke that much better, that indicates 4-5 which means AAA-5, and the .9 indicates that I'll likely suck, woot lol
Look's like i'm not having a free ride to the play offs, i'm trying, wooot

Last edited by M002 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: