ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH2 Tournament Pana Il 2/18/07
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dullsky  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: GH2 Tournament Pana Il 2/18/07 Reply with quote

Ok so I with the help of others am hosting a tournament. It will be a fundraiser for our class trip. (im in Highschool) I think We have everything planned out but i need to know from people who are experienced in tournament play what problems i may run into.

When - Sun. Feb 18 1pm-? probly 3-4pm
Where- Have a Gym with outlets and everything
We will be running 2 ps2's on 2 projectors at the same time. 2 guitars on each ps2. There will be 4 divisions (Medium, hard, expert, co op). Run 2 divisions at a time, (one on each projector). Since we don't want to be having the songs interfere with each other, we will alternate when each song starts. $5 to get in, also be selling pizza, drinks, and stuff. Cash prizes will be awarded to winners.

Planned on sign ups to be from 12-1pm. We have plenty of PR so should have a decent turnout. Also this will consist of mostly teenagers (14-18yrs) and Not many are REALLY good so this is no heavy competition.

So any problems?, please reply with input, thanks again.
ComaWhite  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in southern Illinois and will be coming with 3 other people. Do you have a street address for the gym?
Dullsky  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming North from route 51, Take a left on 4th street. Its a brick building across the street from a Big church (Can't miss it.) I don't know the EXACT address, but it is hard to miss. I will try and put up sign(s) to make it easier for people to find. Like I said early we are a bunch of amatures and the cash prizes are not going to be anything big. Not trying to Talk you out of comming just do not want some of the pros to drive all this way for no challenge =). It should be a lot of fun, and i will have updates on how things are coming here in this thread.

Hope that helps,
Dullsky
Cliff  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's open to the public, then? I was afraid it was just your school. I'm coming, with up to 3 others.
Dullsky  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool deal, Had no idea anybody from Illinois played =D. At any rate this week gonna test out projectors and what not to make sure everything works according to plan.

We also are having a bit of issues with the cash prizes. Legally speaking we need to find out if we are allowed to give a cash prize to a minor. But hopefully everything will work out.

Also if I could get what division you guys plan on competing in that would be great.
Cliff  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be competing in expert.

How will co-op competition work? Like, will easy-easy compete against expert-expert, or what?
bmcle2  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might show up, haven't ever been to a decent tournament.
Dullsky  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmcle2 wrote:
I might show up, haven't ever been to a decent tournament.

Well this isn't gonna be a big Red Octane Sponsored contest, but it will be fun =)

And I think for co op, if you want to do easy/easy vs expert/expert you could, but the expert would probly win. I think It should be matched though, for the sake of fairness, any thoughts?
ComaWhite  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a few tourneys, and wouldn't consider myself pro or anything (I haven't even posted my GH2 scores and my GH1 scores aren't in the top 300) I just want to come to have fun like you are saying. Money really isn't a big deal. It would be fun to win and make the gas money back cause I live in Metropolis (3 hours away approx). I would be playing expert and co-op expert with a buddy.
phaty18  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooo a tourny it said i cant be there lol but if you want advice you should probably have at least 10 PS2's running and 5 have gh and the other 5 gh2 and your gonna need 20 guitar controllers (depending on how many people will be there, if there is like 20 people there perfect but if you plan on a huge tourney then reply to me and ill help you out
Cliff  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phaty18 wrote:
you should probably have at least 10 PS2's running

T'would be nice, but it's in a school gym. Poor acoustics to begin with + multiple songs at once = CHAOS!!!

I think you have a good idea running the matches at different times so as not to interfere with each other, but if you're going to do that, then you don't need to have two PS2s running on two different screens (or am I interpreting what you wrote incorrectly?). You could run the divisions one at a time [though I realize that by running them two at a time you hope to save time (it won't) and also not leave people out for an extended time]. Medium could go first, then Hard, then Co-op, then Expert. I think Expert is what people are really waiting to see, and you probably have the best prizes for that division, unless the prizes are all equal. If you could get your hands on a classroom, or just another area away from the noise of the competition, you could set up a practice/hang out room with a TV and PS2.

In co-op, I suppose different difficulties could compete. To even everything out, you could require that one person play on expert, or do something else. I wish the co-op scores would standardize, it's hard to compare them. Also, since you can't arrange two songs to start at the same time, how will this work? One pair will play a song together, and then another will follow? For the sake of control/fairness (I'm a psych major, I like control) you should not allow the second pair to see the first play, maybe even not let them hear it.

How will song selection work? Will it be random, or will both players have to agree on one song? How are you going to judge competing players? By points? By percentage? Note streak? Will there be a round to seed players? Will it be round-robin, or bracketed? Single- or double-elimination? Any help you need, I'm here for.

EDIT: I like (lots of) parentheses.
Dullsky  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff wrote:
phaty18 wrote:
you should probably have at least 10 PS2's running

T'would be nice, but it's in a school gym. Poor acoustics to begin with + multiple songs at once = CHAOS!!!

I think you have a good idea running the matches at different times so as not to interfere with each other, but if you're going to do that, then you don't need to have two PS2s running on two different screens (or am I interpreting what you wrote incorrectly?). You could run the divisions one at a time [though I realize that by running them two at a time you hope to save time (it won't) and also not leave people out for an extended time]. Medium could go first, then Hard, then Co-op, then Expert. I think Expert is what people are really waiting to see, and you probably have the best prizes for that division, unless the prizes are all equal. If you could get your hands on a classroom, or just another area away from the noise of the competition, you could set up a practice/hang out room with a TV and PS2.

In co-op, I suppose different difficulties could compete. To even everything out, you could require that one person play on expert, or do something else. I wish the co-op scores would standardize, it's hard to compare them. Also, since you can't arrange two songs to start at the same time, how will this work? One pair will play a song together, and then another will follow? For the sake of control/fairness (I'm a psych major, I like control) you should not allow the second pair to see the first play, maybe even not let them hear it.

How will song selection work? Will it be random, or will both players have to agree on one song? How are you going to judge competing players? By points? By percentage? Note streak? Will there be a round to seed players? Will it be round-robin, or bracketed? Single- or double-elimination? Any help you need, I'm here for.

EDIT: I like (lots of) parentheses.

I think we may only need one screen. After reading what you posted it doesn't sound like it would take too long to get everyone in. And then maybe 1 or 2 tv's off to the side for just messin around, warmin up, whatever.

Song selection i figured random (kinda). We would pick from a set of 5 or so. Basically group the easier ones from the difficult ones. Draw from increasingly more difficult sets as it goes on. Judging I figured by score. Bracketed double elimination.

Will there be a round to seed players?
Not sure what you mean by this.
Cliff  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dullsky wrote:

Well, I'm not sure how it would work GH-wise, but I saw this in a Smash Bros. Tournament last year. There were 16 people involved, so we set up 4 4-person free-for alls, then had all the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th placers in their own FFAs in order to "seed" (initially rank) each player, and for the tournament, the 1st seeded played the 16th seeded, and so on. I suppose it wouldn't be feasible, would it?

So will people just sign up when they get there, and get placed in a bracket? A'ight.
Emptyeye  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff wrote:
Dullsky wrote:

Well, I'm not sure how it would work GH-wise[...]

Depending on time constraints, you'd probably want to do what your average DDR/ITG tourney does and have a qualifying round where everybody (In a division) plays the same song, and the scores on this song determine the seeding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Emptyeye2112
Cliff  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, Emptyeye.

If you think seeding would be too much work or take too much time, however, you don't have to do it. It's just a thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: