ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
30 Feet of Rock tourney - Columbus, OH
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just letting you guys know that I probably won't be there at all... Too many other things to do.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuLFe wrote:
saxev2005 wrote:
wuLFe wrote:
So, with the change in venue, any ideas as to where we should meet? Is the Bob Evan still our best option?

if you're giving me a lift, then why not pick me up from my dorm? i think it'll make more sense to have one car go up there.....i mean dayton is on your way......

I'm a little confused here - are we talking about Cincinatti on the 8th, or Columbus tomorrow? I was saying that giving you a lift to Cincy was no problem, but that's a few weeks away! We can arrange the specifics of that at a later date. It seems quite possible that there might be quite a few of us coming down.

yeah.....i was talking about cincy.....i guess i forgot to clarify that.....

GH GOALS (EXPERT):
20 mil (GH2)
Top 100 (GH 80s)
20.5 mil (GH3)
COBW3BB  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how this is going down... sucks to hear about the studio 35 thing, oh well, I'm anxious to hear the outcome either way.

Sakst82  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tourney was a blast. I got 3rd. I lost to a girl... who chose to play hard, on heart shaped box. I don't know how that happened. Maybe cus I've NEVER played the song on hard. ever. She was actually pretty good I don't know why she wanted to play on hard. She missed 1 note and I missed 2 notes (one was during SP) Wulfe absolutely DESTROYED her in the final. It was disappointing because I would have liked to get crushed by wulfe in the final, but oh well. First place got a guitar they said was worth about $300 dollars so that's cool. The sponsorship and prizes were amazing. I won a PS2 in a raffle so that made up for me losing to a girl. I'll write a more detailed trip report when I have more time. But it was a blast and wulfe won.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks

Firstly, it was a real blast meeting Sakst82, and seeing Raptor again, so I just wanted to let them know that I had a great time chatting to them!

Anyhow, in some ways it was a great tournament, and in other ways, not so good...

As Sakst said, the prizes were pretty nifty - RO, as usual, sent a pretty mingy package along with t-shirts and stickers, etc, but these guys took the initiative and went to a bunch of local businesses pimping the competition, and basically the top 3 places got a load of gift vouchers (to Game Crazy, a local salon, etc, etc), and of course, the grand prize:

Now - here were the specifics of the tournament:
First two rounds were a complete nightmare for me. The thing was lagged like crazy, and all I could manage was a 198K on Sweet Child O Mine, and about the same on Trippin' in A Hole. After the first round I asked the organizers if we could try and calibrate the lag, and they assured me "there is no lag".

Anyhow, convinced I was going to be knocked out in round three, thankfully my opponent asked if I wanted to try and calibrate the lag, and so we bring up the calibrate lag screen. THE FRIGGIN' THING HAS a 42ms OFFSET!!!!. The projector itself had no lag, so we surmised that whoever owned this playstation had it set up for an HDTV, and so we set the lag offsert to 0, and I (and many others) were finally able to play again.

I did have one SHOCKING round on Them Bones - I average about 270K for that song, and this time, because of nerves/bad SP/SG failing to activate in time, I managed to get 214K, and only scraped the win because my opponent forgot about the end solo bit, and lost his multiplier there!!

After that, it was relatively smooth sailing - I really felt bad for Sakst though - I mean, having to play "Heart Shaped Box" on HARD for the SEMI-FINALS of a 50 person competition is just friggin' wrong.

I was also annoyed because in the finals, I was up against this same girl (who was decent, don't get me wrong), but in the 3 song final we had to play all three songs on hard - even the last one (Freebird) (even though I'd already taken the first two, so she had nothing to lose by playing expert).

Anyhow, if memory serves for the finals, she picked Madhouse (Hard)
her : 340K, me : 380K
I picked Hangar 18 (but we had to play it on hard)
her : 301K, me : 384K
then the crowd picked the last song, Freebird (again, Hard )
her : 307K, me : 507K

Oh - and ironically enough, after I sympathized with Sakst about how much it sucked him losing out like that, I was the one (as tourney winner) who had to draw the winning raffle ticket, and I (amazingly enough), drew his number, hence ensuring that even though a well-deserved spot in the finals was not to be, at least he got something worthwhile out of the day.

Also, my friend Graham and I got stuck in a minor blizzard on the way home - scary shit, driving along an interstate, and having trucks whizzing past you throwing up clumps of snow and ice onto your windshield - I friggin' hate this weather

In all, I think a nice day was had by everyone, and I met up with some of the crew from the Louisville tournament, so it was definitely a worthwhile day - sorry about the dark pictures of the guitar - if there is any interest I will take better pictures tomorrow in the sunlight
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
PriestMLH  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, wish I would've made it up there for the tournament now...stupid girls... .

Ah well, definitely heading over to the Cinncinatti tournament. Perhaps I should go to a costume shop and get a priest robe haha...or get struck by lightning.

Anyway, nice win David, cool prize too =D...finally some prizes worth winning, hopefully we'll be lucky and there will be some cool prizes up for grabs at the Cincy tourney.
saxev2005  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PriestMLH wrote:
Damn, wish I would've made it up there for the tournament now...stupid girls... .

Ah well, definitely heading over to the Cinncinatti tournament. Perhaps I should go to a costume shop and get a priest robe haha...or get struck by lightning.

Anyway, nice win David, cool prize too =D...finally some prizes worth winning, hopefully we'll be lucky and there will be some cool prizes up for grabs at the Cincy tourney.

you're heading down to the cincy tourney, too.....this should be fun because i've never met anyone that can compete with me and now i'll meet and play multiple people that will pwn me so bad, i won't be able to see straight.....

GH GOALS (EXPERT):
20 mil (GH2)
Top 100 (GH 80s)
20.5 mil (GH3)
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, nice win David. That guitar is a great prize. I haven't encountered anything that cool in my tournament experience yet. Man, I wish I would've gone. Maybe I could've defeated you with a lucky run due to the lag. Or if we had to play Misirlou or TLTB .

I hope Noah wants to go to the tournament in Cincy. Maybe we can all get together beforehand like we were planning. Is that still going on? I haven't checked back at the other thread in a long time.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

hsatakeit  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres something:

Hard = 4 letters

Noob = 4 letters

Sooo......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: hsa take it gh3
wuLFe  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dspoonrt wrote:
Yeah, nice win David. That guitar is a great prize. I haven't encountered anything that cool in my tournament experience yet. Man, I wish I would've gone. Maybe I could've defeated you with a lucky run due to the lag. Or if we had to play Misirlou or TLTB .

I hope Noah wants to go to the tournament in Cincy. Maybe we can all get together beforehand like we were planning. Is that still going on? I haven't checked back at the other thread in a long time.

Misirlou, probably (I only managed a 184K in it at the tournament - it's a tough song to play live, especially for me, who pretty much sucks at it)...

TLTB, I'm up to 429K (finally, FINALLY, FINALLY got the hang of that stupid friggin main riff), so maybe I could give you more of a fight on that one now

Anyhow, it looks like the 8th of March is a go - same plan as last time : meet at my place on Wednesday night early, and goof around on GH, Wii, etc, etc until Thursday afternoon, at which time we can all take a trip down to Cincy, have a nice supper somewhere (I know a great Thai place there), and then head off to destroy the local competition at the tournament

MUHAHAH!!!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
buttfaceninja  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there more details on the cincy tournament? I might be able to drive there if its on a weekend.
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome win, David!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was fun, and in the end that's all that matters. Wulfe's breakdown was great, but I cannot stress enough how extremely LAME it was that the girl ended up getting 2nd by coasting her way through on Hard; somehow she avoided playing any really good people all the way to the semi-finals.

Anyway, yes I would like to see some better pics of that guitar, Wulfe, if you could. This place really did step it up on prizes and that was great.

I was heading out of town by 7:30 and that ice storm was absolutely terrifying, by far the worst driving condition I've ever been in. I was in a similar situation a couple years ago on the same interstate (71) and lost control doing at least 50mph, did several full rotations before sliding off the side of the interstate and somehow avoiding being hit by all the other vehicles sliding behind me; it was mayhem. So I was really hoping not to repeat that last night. By the time I passed through Cinci, it had just turned to rain so it was a relief.

Here are some shots:
The anticlimactic final: (actually freebird didn't count considering he had already won)

Ice storm action:

After a very long day, there's still nothing like hammerin away on a TV. (not me in photo)
Raptor  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, a few more things I forgot to add:

Here's a photo from inside the club, I just put the exterior link, so as not to destroy the forum formatting:

http://www.ofsalesmen.com/icestorm/dsc00073.jpg

The guy w/ the red strap on his shoulder was the reporter from the Dispatch; Columbus' big newspaper. He got a fairly thorough interview out of me and my friend, but we went unmentioned (although, the top pic in the article below, is of him playing David on Misirlou). However, you, Scott, did not go unmentioned - although - he printed your very sarcastic comment as if you were serious, haha.

"She was better than me, I guess," said Scott Katip, a 24-year-old who lost a close battle to Rankin on Nirvana’s Heart Shaped Box.

online version:
http://www.dispatch.com/features-story.php?story=dispatch/2007/02/25/20070225-H1-03.html
Sakst82  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya dude We didn't leave til this morning so we bought a paper it was HILARIOUS. I almost died laughing cus he KNEW I was being sarcastic. But he put it in anyway haha. And my fiancee's quote was hilarious, thanks for finding the online link to it! Sorry you got left out A picture is cool though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: