ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The new GH:WT guitar, and Squeezing...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arkenspork  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: The new GH:WT guitar, and Squeezing... Reply with quote

I'm wondering how good the new GH:WT guitar is for Squeezing? It comes out over here in the UK this friday, and i've been using the x-plorer since my LP broke. As most of you know, the x-plorer is rubbish for squeezing due to the teeny tiny select button. I have a little bit of squeezing experience with the RB1 Stratocaster, and in comparison to this, how effective is the new WT guitar at star power activation, both tilt and button activations? Thanks in advance for any help

Ark
brianj  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pain to squeeze, and isn't as good for squeezing as a les paul. i don't know anything about the strat so i can't comment on it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SP button is VERY awkward to hit. It's huge, which is nice, but it's in a very awkward place. It's horizontal to the fretboard and it takes a lot of force to depress. I much prefer the LP's select button, and to be honest, I have an easier time hitting my xplorer's select button but I have a lot of experience (and a really lanky finger) hitting it since I started playing GH2 on my 360. The only problem with the xplorer is you don't get full whammy from whammy segments on GH3, GH:A and GH:WT for some reason. :\

Things that suck : Christianity, metal music, iPhones, Twitter, WoW, anime, 9/11 conspiracies and most of all, censorship.
Arkenspork  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've always found that whammy issue odd. It's something to do with the fact that the window for registering the whammy on the x-plorer when playing GH3 etc. seems to be smaller than the GH2 window. What I mean is that you can push it in a little and no whammy will register. A little more and bam, full whammy. Finding the little window takes a little time, and you can rarely grab the extra SP at the start of a hold unless you're whamming in that little window PRIOR to hitting the note.

It's a shame about the WT guitar not having a very accessible SP button. Any way maybe of opening up the guitar and loosening the button somewhat?

Ark
Velocity92C  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkenspork wrote:
Yeah, I've always found that whammy issue odd. It's something to do with the fact that the window for registering the whammy on the x-plorer when playing GH3 etc. seems to be smaller than the GH2 window. What I mean is that you can push it in a little and no whammy will register. A little more and bam, full whammy. Finding the little window takes a little time, and you can rarely grab the extra SP at the start of a hold unless you're whamming in that little window PRIOR to hitting the note.

It's a shame about the WT guitar not having a very accessible SP button. Any way maybe of opening up the guitar and loosening the button somewhat?

Ark

I hadn't even though of that, but I guess it's possible. I really like that NS listened to feedback and made a bigger button, I just wish they would have put it in a more convenient spot. I know the select button is tiny with the xplorer but have you ever used the coin + tape trick? It works fantastic. The xplorer is my 2nd favorite guitar behind my old school SG. The new guitar is pretty good once you get used to it (I'd say it deviates more from the SG than any other guitar), the main downfall is the select button.

Things that suck : Christianity, metal music, iPhones, Twitter, WoW, anime, 9/11 conspiracies and most of all, censorship.
gusmahler  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using the new guitar for a while, I think you get used to the location of the Select button. It's literally right under your strumming hand, so I no longer have to reach out with my pinky to find it, like I do with the LP.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coin + Tape trick? I am not aware of this trick, mind enlightening me?
muna  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkenspork wrote:
Coin + Tape trick? I am not aware of this trick, mind enlightening me?

how you can tape a few coins together and then tape them just over the back button on the xplorer so that the back button is bigger.

I am personally having no trouble squeezing with the GH:WT guitar. If you want some high scoring FCs, you need another guitar though because the delayed whammy on the x-plorer is terrible. I would go with the GHWT guitar.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That coin and tape trick is so simple and genius Thanks for that. I'll be using that to practice squeezing til friday. I'm definately getting the GH:WT guitar, I was just curious as to how good it was at squeezing, as i'm ranked about 330th so i'm starting to look towards some higher scores. I guess the only thing for it is to try it out myself and see what I personally think. Thanks to everyone for their feedback. Mods, you can lock this thread now

Ark
J.J.  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else's SP deploy like half a second after they hit select? Maybe 3/4 of a second, but noticeably late. Because I've noticed when I squeeze, the SP does this.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Fantahstik Wii Friend Code: 226277035879
malictus  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems with squeezing with the GHWT guitar. I still use my pinky to activate, although the button is close enough that you could probably use the side of your hand instead.

The only problem that I have with the new guitar is 'whammy bar drift', where the whammy bar slowly moves down until its way down at the bottom of the guitar. All the GH guitars have this problem, but the GHWT seems especially bad. I think I'll glue a little piece of plastic to the guitar to stop the whammy bar from drifting too far away....
gusmahler  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.J. wrote:
Anyone else's SP deploy like half a second after they hit select? Maybe 3/4 of a second, but noticeably late. Because I've noticed when I squeeze, the SP does this.
Half a second is huge in this game! That's over one beat on a medium speed song like Closer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why people saying this guitar is BAD for squeezing. I find it a ton easier than a LP, SG or Xplorer. (Own all 3)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.J. wrote:

Yes. It's similar to GH1, 2, and 80s. It's nowhere NEAR a half second delay, but it's like 50 milliseconds or so. That's a lot more time than you think when you have to actually delay your strum to get a front-end squeeze under star power. You can't simultaneously hit both the SP button and strum anymore. You have to kind of delay your hit. Which is stupid, because it's like we're actually going backwards in technology of the engines.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the GHWT guitar for squeezing (on 360) and prefer it to the les paul

I just got 3rd place on Can't be saved with it, and beat a lot of very good squeezers, with 12 points over 100% squeeze path. I could have done it w/ the LP but I prefer the WT guitar.

I simply smash my hand against the sp button, it's not hard at all to do and I have no delay whatsoever with my deployment. This is the same technique i used on the LP, but I don't have to stretch my bent pinky out so far to make it work. I could not switch quickly from whammy to straight pinky starpower deployment without pressing the start button most of the time instead of back.

I have also hit the first squeeze on metal heavy lady hard many many times with this guitar and I've always strummed and activated sp with one motion.

This was originally a problem because i'd press start, but I simply put some scotch tape over the lower start button, (about 3 layers) and it is enough to prevent the use of that button basically. I just use the other one since I have 2. I pretty much can't pause mid song without missing but I shouldn't be doing that on a legit Fc run anyway.

I find it more awkward to activate when i'm not actually strumming although it's not that hard either it's just something i'm not quite used to yet.

My only problem has been w/ frets not pushing in, so missing a note thanks to this doesn't effect squeezing, but it kind of defeats the purpose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: