ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guide to Tapping in Guitar Hero 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Guide to Tapping in Guitar Hero 3 Reply with quote

IMPORTANT: IF YOU HAVE NEVER TAPPED, READ THIS GUIDE, OR PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Since k3v hasn't updated his tapping guide in exactly four months, I thought I'd create a supplementary guide for Guitar Hero 3. The mini-guides that I will post below are in no particular order, and will be in the same structure as k3v's mini-guides. If possible, I have included a hands video of me or someone else performing the actual tapping.

As of right now, all songs are on Expert. I'll try to add One on Hard at some point, but I still haven't been able to figure it out.

Once I get un-lazy, I will upload the hands videos of me playing most of these sections.

What the numbers mean
1 = Index Finger
2 = Middle Finger
3 = Ring Finger
4 = Pinky Finger

Red numbers mean bring your strumming hand up and tap the note with the finger that corresponds with the red number.

IMPORANT: The red X means that you can use any finger you like to tap the note. What finger you use depends on personal preference.

Italic numbers mean slide the corresponding finger to the note.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Knights of Cydonia - Expert - Galloping Triplets

There are a great many ways of tapping this section. If sliding on the first triplet is throwing you off, you can always elbow strum and tap the first orange note and play it normally.

411X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21

X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21

X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21

X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21X21

CleverTangent Full Speed
Kap10 Full Speed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monsters - Expert - Bridge C

This section is not too difficult, and very fun to boot. The key to tapping this section is being able to move your fretting and tapping hand separately, without screwing yourself up. It will require some practice if you are not very good at tapping.

The changes on where the 1 finger should be can be slides, but sometimes it is easier to just pick up and move the finger. Whether you slide or not is up to personal preference.

31313131X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X1X3232323221312121

CleverTangent Full Speed

Sticken - Expert - Solo

This solo can be difficult. The important thing to remember is that you should hold down the red button for the whole solo and lift the yellow fret whenever you have to play a red note.

CleverTangent Slow
Cliffs of Dover - Expert - Intro Solo B

The legendary Reverse Thunderhorse. Try to tap the orange notes very quickly and release quickly, to ensure that you don't miss the next note.

If you can't get your tapping finger up to the orange note fast enough to execute the first fingering, try the second method below.

Solo D is VERY similar to this section, so the same strategy should apply.

43X2X1X1X1X2X3X2X1X1X1X2X3X2X1X2X3X2X1X2X3X

Second Method, thanks to zYgote:

CleverTangent Solo D Full Speed
Intro Solo B video coming when Youtube stops being lame.

Through The Fire and Flames - Expert - So Far Away I

This section is very simple to tap. Be careful not to let go of the bottom green fret while tapping. Letting go makes this much more complicated to tap.

321X21X21X21

CleverTangent Full Speed
Through The Fire and Flames - Expert - Bridge I

I would appreciate it if somebody who can hit this section could either PM me their fingering or post it somewhere.

Through The Fire and Flames - Expert - So Far Away II

This section is kind of tricky. It is not, however, as complicated as it looks. This is essentially a trill with two other notes thrown in. Practice mode makes perfect for this section.

CleverTangent Full Speed

Through The Fire and Flames - Expert - Synth Death

To be done.

Through The Fire and Flames - Expert - Herman's Solo

To be done.

CleverTangent Slower

Through The Fire and Flames - Expert - Sam's Solo

To be done.

CleverTangent Slow

Through The Fire and Flames - Expert - What the?!

Lortwogo wrote:

What the..!? in TTFAF.

The rest is pretty much however you'd like to finger it, but this is my method I've FC'ed it with. For the colours and such with the teqhnique you should refer to the special method here.

Thank you for the PM Lortwogo!

CleverTangent Slowest (with a different method)

Through The Fire and Flames - Expert - So Far Away III (a.k.a Red Snake)

To be done.

Through The Fire and Flames - Expert - You Rock!

To be done.

CleverTangent Full Speed

Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya - Expert - Check This through Verse 2b

To be done.

CleverTangent Full Speed

Number of the Beast - Expert - Solo 1

To be done.

CleverTangent Full Speed - Yes, it's too fast. Sorry about that. I'll get a slow/slower/slowest video up soon.

The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Expert - Victory Solo K

To be done.

CleverTangent Slowest
ShonSuperStar Full Speed - Slightly Different Method

Raining Blood - Expert - Flood!

To be done.

Jameslikecoulter Slow
Cult of Personality - Expert - Solo!

To be done.

CleverTangent Full Speed

One - Hard - Fast Solo A

To be done.

I owe my first born child to this tool.

Last edited by CleverTangent on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:50 am; edited 6 times in total
AdamTL7  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want, I could make some videos of my hands tapping. Let me know if you need me to.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Luptak Attack
USSJGotenks  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will too, but the section has to be 15 seconds or less, or a repeated pattern .
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you two, but I've already got videos of myself or someone else playing all of these sections save Bridge 1 TTFAF and One on Hard. (It doesn't have to be full speed.) I just haven't uploaded them yet. If any of you are willing to help out with those, I'd be very thankful.
AdamTL7  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can do One on hard.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Luptak Attack
Erodyne  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing an updated guide. I really need some of the TTFaF parts whenever you get around to it =).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 416765768730
Kap10  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand vid for Galloping Triplets:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OjpnKQ0PEZ8

Made that ages ago for no particular reason, I hope it gets some use

The exact same way you have it charted too.

Also, it's Solo D of CoD that's similar to Intro B, not Solo C.
{17:33:42} <Rexisfed> yewb had sex with a man
{17:33:42} <Yewb> ^
{17:33:44} <Yewb> wait
{17:33:45} <Yewb> NO

H2O Kappaten, PMS|H2O L4D ST Leader
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: H2O Kappaten
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kap10 wrote:
Also, it's Solo D of CoD that's similar to Intro B, not Solo C.

Fixed, thanks.

EDIT: And by the way, most of the videos are almost ready to be uploaded. I've got to edit a few because they begin with failure (Sam's Solo, KoC, couple others).
zYgote  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guide. I'm gonna have to try some of the ttfaf stuff.

Also, here is my fingering for Cliffs of Dover. It's basically the same as you have but the beginning is different, and it makes it easier if you're really slow at bringing your right hand up like me.

The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
Hundur  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zYgote wrote:
Nice guide. I'm gonna have to try some of the ttfaf stuff.

Also, here is my fingering for Cliffs of Dover. It's basically the same as you have but the beginning is different, and it makes it easier if you're really slow at bringing your right hand up like me.

This is the same fingering I use, I can't bring my hand up quickly enough otherwise.

[ooooo] 5* The Trooper, Rock This Town Psychobilly Freakout, Misirlou, Hangar 18
[o] 5* Raining Blood
guitarroker  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do hands vids. My camera has unlimited record time (as long as I have space on my camera.) Just PM me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the videos, except the ones that failed to upload to Youtube. I'll get those later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: