ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Official Tournament Rulings / Suggested Rulesets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ES942  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are the dots on the even numbered frets on your cool SG?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES942 wrote:
why are the dots on the even numbered frets on your cool SG?

Because I didn't want it to look odd

Sephi wrote:
Those along with my 64 card idea are all great depending on what you choose as a personal favorite. But briguy, how would you do qualifying?

I'm not sure what you mean by qualifying. I'm assuming a smaller set list. Depending on how many songs you are talking about here, your cards could work out a lot better and is a more flexible option.
But my friends and I have dice of all sorts and can make almost any number with them. Including a coin for a 2, dice can be 4,6,8,10,12,or 20 sided.
That means you can use one or two of these dice to make the following numbers of songs to pick randomly from:
So the dice are flexible, but not quite as much as your card method. In fact, the more I think about your method, the more I like it. I just hope the next GH incarnation includes this super easy feature.
Sephi  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked about qualifying because during tournaments, you need to place people accordingly in brackets. Simple random placing isn't fair in my opinion as most tournaments organizers opt to have a way of deciding who should be ranked #1 to the last place seed. Your dice method will work for a fair chance at all the songs being picked, but it does not allow for a way of choosing a fair random qualifier. If you did in fact pick a list of qualifying songs, then you were to roll dice for that, it just seems like it would be more work than is necessary. Sorry for picking on the method. I used to use dice when I ran Guitar Hero I tournaments, and I really didn't like that method as much as my new method. But, it is a viable option depending on what you have available.

Jan. 12, 2007- I no longer am a mere God, I am a Guitar God. 64/64 *****
Sephi  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:: Updated with Tournament Progression and Re-organized to be more flowing from beginning of tournament to end ::

superman  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks for this sephi, what is the final answer on hyperspeed?
FallenSeraph  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some stuff that you might want to add to the list:

1. Use of third-party controllers.
As long as the dimensions of where the buttons are placed are not noticeably spaced differently than the Red Octane SG Controller then use is allowed.

2. Switch to turn the green fret on and off.
Use of a switch to activate the green fret button when it is not physically pushed down. Rubber-banding down the green fret button.

3. Noticeable shortening of the neck of the guitar.
Includes the third-party “Shredder” guitar controller made by TAC.
(reason for this would be easier two-handed tapping on songs like "You Really Got Me")

And here is my idea on Lag Calibration.

If one of the two contestants currently playing feels that there are lag issues with the current TV, HDTV, or Projector in use then follow these steps.
    i. Bring in a second and third opinion to justify the lag complaint. Do not use other contestants.
    ii. If neither of these people find lag issues then do not calibrate lag.
    iii. If these two people find that there is a lag issue continue to step iv.
    iv. If at least one person agrees that there is lag then let the complaining contestant use the “calibrate lag” feature in the video options. Record the lag offset.
    v. Now have the other contestant that is playing use the calibrate lag feature. Record the lag offset.
    vi. If the two lag offsets are within 5 ms of each other then keep the current lag offset.
    vii. If the two lag offsets are greater than 5 ms of each other then have a third person come in and use the calibrate lag feature, if his result is between the two recorded lag offsets then keep his. If no repeat from step v or let the two contestants come to an agreement.

If both contestants feel there is a lag issue with the current TV, HDTV, or Projector in use then follow steps v through vii above.

Long process that i would rather avoid with some sort of auto calibrate, but if you have a disagreement on what the lag offset should be set at then im not sure what else to do. And the "5 ms" part can be changed to whatever number, im not sure what is appropriate for the situation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: FallenSeraph214
Sephi  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Use of third party controllers. Agreed. If it's not NOTICEABLY different, then it's allowed.

2. Any type of mod that is not aesthetic makes the guitar unusable in tournament play regardless of what it is. A simple switch would make that guitar illegal.

3. Shortening the neck of the controller- Easily not allowed because it is outside the normal specifications of the SG controller.

4. Lag- I only play with the progressive scan mode on which eliminates all lag if you use quality equipment. I have yet to have a tournament where lag is the problem. If it is, then I would recommend that the tournament organizer gets different equipment for the tournament. Trying to calibrate lag for a tournament is a nightmare. I know, I had to do it at the CPL Championships and it destroyed all chances of a player getting decent runs and not randomly breaking combo.

P.S.- Hyperspeed is addressed at the bottom of the first post.

Sephi  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

::Bump::

bmcle2  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all good. I haven't found anybody besides me (except MAYBE Cliff) around here who even knows how to turn on hyperspeed. My suggestion to organizers of the tournaments I've been to is that it is up to the player who picks the song. Each player picks one song and whether or not Hyperspeed is on (random/organizer chosen for tiebreaker). Pro-Faceoff for same difficulty, Faceoff for different difficulties (I hate this, but I haven't yet lost to a medium player while playing Expert, so I have no official problem with it). However, I couldn't see myself recommending any changes for your rules.

(On a sidenote, as long as the TV is sufficiently large, my playing doesn't suffer from lack of Hyperspeed. I'm sure you have decent-sized TVs to play on, but the tournaments I've been to usually have at least one small/bad quality TV.)
Beauregard  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a piece of plastic taped above the "bacK" button on the explorer making it possible to hit like the select button was used on the SG.

example:

i would assume it would be allowed, because it isn't modifying the controller any way, just making it so you don't hit start when trying to activate.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one that I've been pondering a lot lately. With the new 360 controllers, I've had to rethink how I would handle that situation. My first instinct is that it WOULD NOT be allowed just because it is artificially attaching something to the guitar, but then again it does have a purpose for being there and NOT being a mod in any way. It's also a matter of who has it and who doesn't. I'm still pondering on it, but if I don't make a ruling here soon, it's considered legal til proved otherwise.

Sephi  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one that I've been pondering a lot lately. With the new 360 controllers, I've had to rethink how I would handle that situation. My first instinct is that it WOULD NOT be allowed just because it is artificially attaching something to the guitar, but then again it does have a purpose for being there and NOT being a mod in any way. It's also a matter of who has it and who doesn't. I'm still pondering on it, but if I don't make a ruling here soon, it's considered legal til proved otherwise.

Oraphice  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some good songs to have people play for Qualifying purposes? I am interested in all difficulties, including Easy.
Sephi  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauregard wrote:
what about a piece of plastic taped above the "bacK" button on the explorer making it possible to hit like the select button was used on the SG.

example:

i would assume it would be allowed, because it isn't modifying the controller any way, just making it so you don't hit start when trying to activate.

After thoroughly reviewing this.....my final decision is that it is NOT allowed. I'm sorry but unfortunately, for tournament play, the modification does not maintain the controller in how the developers meant it to be played. Yes, it is very unfortunate that we no longer have the select buttons to use, but unfortunately, we ALL have to deal with that hardware modification. Using this modification is similar to using other "star power buttons" because it allows you to do something in a way that it would not normally be done. Although, you are still pressing the select button, you are not actually "pressing" the start button. The add-on presses it for you. I'm sorry, but it will not be allowed for my tournaments. Other organizers can feel free to disagree with this ruling, but this is my personal opinion.

For the Qualifying song list.....
I'll put the list up soon. It's very long to type.....

wuLFe  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on the Back button "mod" - no matter which way you slice it, it DOES provide those who have rigged up the back button an unfair advantage over those who are using the "out of the box" controller.

I've managed to "train" myself to activate with the "Back" button without any modification, although for tourneys I'll likely still tilt, as without the "rigged" back button, it's very easy to accidentally hit "Start" instead, which is a no-no!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: