ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Official Tournament Rulings / Suggested Rulesets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sephi  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, sir!

Jan. 12, 2007- I no longer am a mere God, I am a Guitar God. 64/64 *****
HardenedWarVet  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think about changing the audio options in-game? Such as SFX volume? Personally, i like to play with it down. Would you permit that?
KingOfJC  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9. NO STAIRWAY!

Sephi  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardenedWarVet wrote:
What do you think about changing the audio options in-game? Such as SFX volume? Personally, i like to play with it down. Would you permit that?

It's irrelevant in my opinion, but usually I just leave it how it is. Most of the players at my tournament are good enough that it doesn't effect them much. But some people really just don't like the sound at all, like me. It depends on your players more than anything.

Killoff  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it fair to use your own guitar if it has a killswitch, even if you dont use it? I was thinking of installing one.

BTW Sephi, what neighborhood do you live in, you might live near me @_@
Dodongo  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome guide, I wonder how many of you guys live in Wales.

R.I.P. Sikth. We Love You.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Gwylum Wii Friend Code: 429613877062
Sephi  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in albuquerque in the NE heights.

CageKing666  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Couple Dumb Quetions Since Im Holding My Own Tourny

Do I Allow Hyperspeed?

Final Song, Psychobilly Freakout Or Freebird? (Need Help, Not Rule, Sorry )

Do I Let Them Bring Their Own Guitars Or Supply Mine?

How Do I Do The Brackets (Double Elimination), Random Or Seeding?

Do I Do It Where They Each Choose 1 Song, Then Theres A Tiebreaker Or Do I Choose The One And Only Song?

And Finally, The Final Round, If It Ends Up Final 3, Do Each Of Them Do Individual Scores, Or Is It 1V2 1V3 2V3?
Sephi  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CageKing666 wrote:
A Couple Dumb Quetions Since Im Holding My Own Tourny

Do I Allow Hyperspeed? Yes, if both players agree.

Final Song, Psychobilly Freakout Or Freebird? (Need Help, Not Rule, Sorry ) I really don't like tournaments where the organizers pick all of the songs. If possible, let both players pick a song, and if necessary, use a RANDOM tie-breaker.

Do I Let Them Bring Their Own Guitars Or Supply Mine? I recommend to players that they bring their own.

How Do I Do The Brackets (Double Elimination), Random Or Seeding? For double elimination, I recommend doing a round of qualifying at the beginning by randomly drawing a song for everyone to play ONCE. If time is a factor, then seed people as best you can based on the skill levels that you know.

Do I Do It Where They Each Choose 1 Song, Then Theres A Tiebreaker Or Do I Choose The One And Only Song? Do it so each gets to choose a song before the random tie-breaker.

And Finally, The Final Round, If It Ends Up Final 3, Do Each Of Them Do Individual Scores, Or Is It 1V2 1V3 2V3?
If it is bracketed correctly, there should only be two players left for the finals.

ryn2075  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 223454287216
Milo234  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add my 2 cents about tournaments from my experience with DDR/ITG tournaments.

1. I think someone should explain how brackets and seeding works. Most people don't know how standard bracketing with seeding works as evidenced by the posts in this thread. However, it's really simple. Someone somewhere on the internet should write a guide to running a bracketed tournament with seeding. If anyone knows any good links to explanations of how to do that perhaps that should be put on the first post in this thread.

My quick explanation:
Count how many people you have. Seed them. Then find the highest power of two greater than the number of people you have.
So if you have 14 people then 16 is the next biggest power of 2.
Count how many extra people you need to get a full power of 2 and pretend there are extra players named byes to take those spots. Then fill out the bracket chart appropriately and the tournament should run perfectly.

2. As a matter of politeness, always do matches that eliminate people from the tournament first, that way if anyone has to leave early, they will be free to go sooner. So if you are doing a double elimination tournament, always do the losers bracket first.

Quick guide to creating a seeded bracket: Making a standard seeded brackets is easy. Just start at the finals and go backwards. In the finals you want to have the two highest seeded players. Then go backwards creating the bracket using the rule that higher seed always gets to play the easiest opponent available. Therefore everyone will want to get the highest seed they possibly can since first seed has the best chance at winning. Doing it any other way kinda defeats the point of having seeding.

If you don't want to make the brackets yourself, it's easy to find them on the internet. Here's a nice picture of a 16 person double elimination bracket that I found using google image search.

16 person double elimination
http://bbh.marpirc.net/k5/bracket.gif

3. A common method for doing seeding from DDR tournaments which I have found works perfectly: Before the tournament at some specified date post a list of songs from which the qualifier will be chosen. Perhaps make a list of 5 songs, then on the day of the tournament randomly pick one to be the qualifier.

I have seen qualifier lists varying in length from 3 to 30 songs. I have seen qualifier lists posted as early as 2 months before the tournament to as late as the night before, although most of the time I've seen qualifier lists posted about a week before the tournament date. Other weird variations I have seen included making people play several qualifiers, but that takes a long time, and tournaments don't always go quickly.

I hope this contributes something useful to the tournament guide. I'm relatively new to guitar hero but running these types of tournaments is something I have some experience with.

4. Someone asked something about what to do if you have 3 people in the finals. I would recommend that if you have 3 people in a guitar hero finals that you let them all take their turns separately, or if two of them have to play together, make the other person play in two player mode as well. It can sometimes be quite distracting to have someone playing next to you and guitarhero's 2 player mode is a lot harder to see the buttons on than 1 player mode, so you should try to make it fair.
Sephi  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first post has a lot of this covered already. But thank you for your input!

Ayrlie  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a ruleset I been working on for events in our area is
http://www.geocities.com/ayrlieofremora/ghrules.pdf

Its still in development and we're still doing some trial and error. Its based off rules I have seen on scorehero, the official site, and rules I have seen other organizers use.

the dress code rule we had to add because too many of the players we have seen were minors, most of them under the age of 18. another reason we had to add the dress code was many of the venues were public buildings which did not tolerate suggestive/offensive clothing.

couple of the other rules were based on my days playing M:tG - mostly stuff regarding the zero tolerance to unsporting conduct and cheating.

are the rules perfect: probably not. they'll probably change between now and the end of October.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to lie. There are a lot of rules in that pdf that I would completely disagree with. Only standing while playing, point deductions for talking, etc. I'll post again later when I have time about what should be changed and why. As always, for your tournaments, you can use whatever rules you want. I just want to make some suggestions. I'll be back in a bit after I get off from work.

quackadilly  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephi wrote:
I'm not going to lie. There are a lot of rules in that pdf that I would completely disagree with. Only standing while playing, point deductions for talking, etc. I'll post again later when I have time about what should be changed and why. As always, for your tournaments, you can use whatever rules you want. I just want to make some suggestions. I'll be back in a bit after I get off from work.

I agree. Standing/sitting should be personal preference.

As for the picture taking, it's all part of the fun. People are gonna take pictures and video.

I'm not sure how the rules have changed down in NM but the ones we used while I was still big into playing for score were pretty decent......not too strict.....not too relaxed.

We ALWAYS had fun. And that's what it's really about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: