ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Metal Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: The Metal Thread Reply with quote

I noticed a lot of threads popping up in General Chat lately about heavy metal, so I thought it would be a good idea to get a lot of discussion in this thread. Hopefully this will be more broad and answer questions and pose good discussion as well as keep specialized threads floating around.

I know a lot of metalheads are VERY, VERY elitist about their music and defend their opinion to the death. That's fine, but keep it somewhat civil and put up a good arguement and rebuttle to keep this from getting like a lot of metal forums where everyone is a dick to each other.

PS. Do NOT talk about nu-metal and try to keep the metalcore discussion to a minimum as it isn't really tr00 metal.

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!

Last edited by tornintwo on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start off a little discussion, what do you all think was the best year(s) for metal? Why did it die out, and who started the decline in quality during the 90's?

Warnar wrote:
thestupidlowlife  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't have a metal thread, while excluding Nu-Metal and Metalcore. It's not fair, and thus doesn't cover all the metal.

I absolutely hate it when people don't like those two subgenres.
arthurychoi  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tornintwo wrote:
To start off a little discussion, what do you all think was the best year(s) for metal? Why did it die out, and who started the decline in quality during the 90's?

It has to be the 70's.
Sure the 80's brought most of the bands, but Judas, Sabbath, and Zeppelin (I know they're not metal, but they influenced many) created the roots of what most metal bands come from.

Just my opinion >__>
samtheman  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tornintwo wrote:

I think the mid 80s/early 90s were best, but that's probably only my bias because I lurrrrrrrve thrash. The 80s were probably best overall for metal, though.

I think that the rise of grunge overthrew metal, though bands like Megadeth still managed to stay strong then.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestupidlowlife wrote:
You can't have a metal thread, while excluding Nu-Metal and Metalcore. It's not fair, and thus doesn't cover all the metal.

And kicking this topic off to a wonderfully constructive start....here we go.

Actually, you can. Because nether genre is Metal, Nu Metal is Rock, it's only called Nu Metal because Jonathan Davis once described Korn's sound as "The New Urban Form Of Metal" and the name stuck. And Metalcore is a punk subgenre it just has a bit of metal influence thrown in.

Besides, the topic creator gets to set the rules, if you don't like it, don't post in their topic, make a Metalcore/Nu Metal thread.

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
BenniWells  

Location: Lincoln, UK ~ Where farming epidemics always hit the front page

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe metal necessarily has to be heavy, I mean c'mon Iron Man is a metal legend and that desn't exactly pound the hell out of everything does it?

Also, would you consider bands like Motley Crue or Linkin Park to be metal? Motley Crue is only glam metal although I wouldn't say that makes much difference, it was more of a media creation then anything else. Linkin Park lays out really heavy riffs, but because there's an element of rap it's decleared as Rapcore and discarded as being Metal.

My Wiki: Open for anybody to edit, go ahead and write anything!
......................\/
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 150443735976
DarkDucky  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the best years for metal are right now.

There are so many great bands out there that are still pumping out amazing music, and it seems to just keep getting better. Sure, some metal has wandered off in other directions and turned into stuff that not many people like, but with the slow rise in popularity of metal, comes MANY more new metal bands emerging out of nowhere, playing styles unheard of, and it really is amazing. The evolution of metal is a really interesting thing, and looking at how much it's changed since the early days of black sabbath and whatnot, it really is amazing to see how much metal has progressed. Sure, some may not like what it's become, but isn't that how it is with everything?

I personally love what metal has become. 90% of my all-time favourite albums were released in the new millennium.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motley Crue I think is somewhat metal, but I don't really consider glam bands like them to really be metal. Linkin Park is definently not metal though.

Concerning the years, I think 86-88 were the best because you had the birth of so many different genres. There were amazing thrash albums being released (Peace Sells, Reign In Blood, Darkness Descends, Schizophrenia). Power Metal came out full force with Helloween's 2 masterpieces Keeper Of The 7 Keys 1&2, Death Metal was officially established with Death's album Scream Bloody Gore, Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime was released as were Awaken the Guardian and No Exit by Fates Warning. The Deathcrush EP was released by Mayhem cementing them as one of the original Norwegian Black Metal bands. Two of Bathory's best albums The Sign Of The Dark Mark and Blood Fire Death were realeased.

The decline came around 1988-1990 when thrash was getting stale, NWOBHM bands like Maiden, Motorhead and Judas Priest were running out of steam (Painkiller exempt), the only genres left that were still creative were Power, Death, and Black. Power Metal and Black Metal were basically confined to Europe and Death Metal was too fast and loud and heavy for a lot of metalheads. Grunge came into the spotlight and the great underground tape trading scene barely existed as most music switched over to CD's. The only thing that saved metal, imo, was Progressive metal, with a music video, Pull Me Under (Dream Theater) being played on TV. It was a refreashing break from metal that had been getting louder, faster, and heavier over the last 10 years and allowed more people to get into the scene.

Warnar wrote:
WaffleCake  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megadeth

One is plenty.

--Staff

Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DarkDucky. The time is now ( ). Some of my favorite metal bands and making amazing music right now: Every Time I Die (Southern Metal), The Devil Wears Prada (Deathcore), The Human Abstract (Mathcore, which I'm asuming does not count as Metalcore), and The Number Twelve Looks Like You (Mathcore).

The videos are songs that represent the band well IMO.

Last edited by Eastwinn on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:09 am; edited 2 times in total
voivod84  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkDucky wrote:
IMO the best years for metal are right now.

There are so many great bands out there that are still pumping out amazing music, and it seems to just keep getting better. Sure, some metal has wandered off in other directions and turned into stuff that not many people like, but with the slow rise in popularity of metal, comes MANY more new metal bands emerging out of nowhere, playing styles unheard of, and it really is amazing. The evolution of metal is a really interesting thing, and looking at how much it's changed since the early days of black sabbath and whatnot, it really is amazing to see how much metal has progressed. Sure, some may not like what it's become, but isn't that how it is with everything?

I personally love what metal has become. 90% of my all-time favourite albums were released in the new millennium.

Everything you just said is pure, honest-to-God truth in my mind.
ChimpyDolittle  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I agree with DarkDucky. My favorite metal ablum of all time (Disillusion's "Back To Times Of Splendor") came out in 2004, and this is coming from someone who used to shun everything that came out after 1989, and that wasn't thrash pretty much.

So many great bands have come out in just the past 10 years... The Black Dahlia Murder, Disillusion, countless deathcore/metalcore bands that aren't "tr00 metal"... My list could go on.

I have great respect for Maiden, Priest, and all of the forefathers of metal, but they pretty much only gave it a little push by blurring the lines between metal and hard rock. Now it's truly evolved to become something totally unique from every other form of music, and I really love just seeing where it's going to go next.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd like to say that the 90's were the best time for metal. Even though I started listening to metal in 2005. I'm an avid fan of technical death metal such as Nile and Cyptopsy, and a fan of brutal death metal such as Suffocation and Skinless...though you could argue that Skinless and Suffocation are NYDM. I'll have to say my favorite album is Nile's "In Their Darkened Shrines". The 4 part song at the end of the album is truly epic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sottle wrote:
thestupidlowlife wrote:

And kicking this topic off to a wonderfully constructive start....here we go.

Actually, you can. Because nether genre is Metal, Nu Metal is Rock, it's only called Nu Metal because Jonathan Davis once described Korn's sound as "The New Urban Form Of Metal" and the name stuck. And Metalcore is a punk subgenre it just has a bit of metal influence thrown in.

Besides, the topic creator gets to set the rules, if you don't like it, don't post in their topic, make a Metalcore/Nu Metal thread.

Dude, Metalcore is a METAL subgenre, not a punk subgenre. The Punk subgenre is Hardcore.

And Nu-Metal, no matter how much you deny it, is a Metal subgenre, it's not rock.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 1 of 101

Jump to: