ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
buildgh3 - PS2 custom GH3 (update 2008/06/30)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tttttttt  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: buildgh3 - PS2 custom GH3 (update 2008/06/30) Reply with quote

Current version : 0.8 (release of 2008/06/30)

Rather than continuing to post in the GH3 PS2 tutorial, I've decided to make a new topic along with a tutorial.

I've made (with some of GameZelda's code) a library and a minimalist front-end to build GH3 customs for PS2.

The program and the source are posted on http://buildgh3.dnsalias.org/ , with http://buildgh3.dnsalias.org/buildgh3-current-exe.zip Staff edit: this link has been down a while and the creator of this hasn't posted since July 08, so I'll post this savefile mirror link here: http://www.savefile.com/files/2004989 being the current executable program and http://buildgh3.dnsalias.org/buildgh3-current-src.tgz being the corresponding source.

Current features :
. support for ogg, mp3 and FLAC
. support for sections names
. support for loading screen text replacement
. support for previews
. support for songlist editing
. support for cameras (see http://buildgh3.dnsalias.org/cameras.txt)
. support for lightning events (see http://buildgh3.dnsalias.org/lightning.txt)
. support for crowd events (see http://buildgh3.dnsalias.org/crowd.txt)
. support for Leff's way of forcing HO/PO
. support for negative offsets
. support for image replacement (see below)
. support for 4 and 6 channels ogg and flac ("master tracks")

The purpose of this tool is to let one create a custom GH3 disk with the most ease and the less work required. This means that the program will try to guess the most it can, and is meant for batch creating a full new disk rather than offering a point and click interface to do step by step modifications.
To (try to) achieve this, it will for example automatically update song lists, previews, etc ...
For the songlist, it will by default read your .chart, and take if present the Name and Artist infos; if not, it will look in your music file for tags and try to get the name of the song and artist in there.
For previews, it will by default read your .chart to take the PreviewStart and PreviewEnd infos, if not, it will default to a preview starting at 0:30 and lasting 20 seconds.

Tutorial on using the program

(mattdylan99 has made some video tutorial on his youtube profile : http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattdylan101)

Prequises
First, download the program here http://buildgh3.dnsalias.org/buildgh3-current-exe.zip Staff edit: this link has been down a while and the creator of this hasn't posted since July 08, so I'll post this savefile mirror link here: http://www.savefile.com/files/2004989
Unzip it somewhere (in this tutorial, it's unzipped in j:\gh_tools).

You might also want to download the following tools :
foobar2000 (for volume normalization)
imgburn (for creating the ISO)
droppix (for burning the ISO)
The last two programs are well documented in the official GH customization FAQ, so go read it.

I am now assuming that your charts and your sound files are already synchronized. If not, please refer to the many stickies about that, you can also refer to this post.

Preparing your input files
You'll then need to place your charts+sound files in the input directory that was created when unzipping.
Note that naming is important.
Your files should be named like this :
m_01_whatever.mp3
m_01_whatever.chart
where the number (01 in this example) is the index of the song, and the first letter (m in this example) should be one of :
m : main songs
s : single encores
c : coop encores
b : bonus songs

Your input directory should look like this :

Volume tagging
Now, you should tag your files with replaygain information. This is needed so that each of your files sound at about the same volume in the game; this step is not mandatory but is highly recommended. To do that, use foobar2000, making a playlist of all your sound files. You then right click on them, replaygain, scan per file track gain. foobar2000 will scan your files and update their tags with standard replaygain tags. Confirm you want to tag the files when asked.
This should be like this :

Optionnal custom modifications
Next step is optionnal and consists on editing a "definition" file that will tell the program of modifications you want to add that are not per song. Currently, this means changing the texts of loading screen and replacing images. Edit the buildgh3_example.definition file with notepad.

Launching the program
Now, we need to launch the program. To do this, open a dos command (by going to start menu, execute, and typing "cmd". Browse to the directory where you unzipped the program and type :
minibuildgh3 e:/ input/ output/ temp/
where e: is the letter of your dvd drive that contains original GH3 PS2 dvd.
If you edited the definition file, use the -d youfile.def switch.
This should look like this :

Now wait, depending on your PC, it could go for a few minutes to one hour.

Preparing the ISO
When everything is done, you need to copy the rest of the music files of original GH3, making care not to overwrite the files that were just created. The destination should be the output directory. Like this :

Now, you need to create the ISO of your custom disk. Use imgburn (see official FAQ). The files should be place in that order :
IOP
MOVIES
MUSIC
SOUNDS
STREAMS
DATAP.HED
DATAP.WAD
DATAPD.HDP
DATAPH.HDP
SLES_549.62
SYSTEM

This MUSIC, and all DATA* files should come from your output directory, the rest from your original DVD. This should look like this :

Burning
Final step is to burn the resulting ISO, for example with droppix :

You're now ready to play.

When you make another custom DVD, be sure to delete the content of both temp and output directories !

FAQ
I have decided to collect the principal questions and the answers so far to avoir the need for people to read every posts.

Are 4-6 channels songs supported ?
Yes, but only for ogg and flac. There is no standard way of supporting them for mp3, so it's only ogg and flac.
The 4 channels songs must be : left-lead, right-lead, left-band, right-band.
The 6 channels songs must be : left-lead, right-lead, left-band, right-band, left-bass, right-bass.
If you have the tracks as 3 separate ogg, a simple way to form a 6 channels flac is with sox, like that : sox -M codemonkey_lead.ogg codemonkey_band.ogg codemonkey_bass.ogg codemonkey_join.flac

Are .vgs supported ?
Not yet, but they will, one day

Do I really need foobar2000 or can I use other programs ?
For ogg and FLAC, you can use whatever you want. For mp3, there is no standard way of representing replaygain and buildgh3 only supports TXXX tags. So for example winamp works, but not mp3gain.

Does it support Leff's ho/po ?
Yes, as of v0.7. However, I wish that db supports a better way to add forced ho/po.

What about offsets ?
Positive offsets are supported like in feedback. Negative offsets (ie silence at the beginning of the song) are supported as of v0.7, but without feedback's support, it's up to you to find the correct offset.
And note that in the .chart, offsets are represented in seconds _not_ milliseconds.

I added lots of long songs and now the ISO is too big, what can I do ?
First, understand that reducing the bitrates of your songs won't change anything. The audio is converted to GH3 format which is uncompressed.
Now, you can delete the audio of the practices which are under MUSIC/125, MUSIC/150 and MUSIC/200 (delete the files, not the directories). This saves 1gb.
See also :
zYgote wrote:
Go into the videos folder and delete the larger ones like Bret Michaels, slash, tom morello, sex pistols. They are just unnecessary space. I had to do this with my 70 song disc. That should get you started, they are around 40mb each. I imagine you'd want to leave the intro videos so there are no loading issues(not positive on this), but all the career videos can probably be deleted too if you need more space, just stay in quick play. There are 9 single player movies and 6 coop ones, all around 6mb each. That should get you around 260mb

I don't understand the part about launching the program
Here is another way of doing it courtesy of monkey103 :
monkey103 wrote:

Well I agree this is really unclear but if the problem is you can not even get to where you have to type in the "command line" or you have gotten there but you are getting some error the FIRSt step i recommend is to make a NEW text file and open it... type into the text file "cmd" save it as "run.bat" (Make sure to make it say "all Files" and not ".txt" in the save as field and then put "run.bat" into the folder containing the program and run it then run the tool from there.

the reason I suggest you do this to try fix your problem is that you need to be IN the programs directory before running simply typing "cmd" loads to your default drive NOt the folder with the program running it like that should correct this.

Image replacement

buildgh3 now supports replacement of any image in the game. It's very easy to do : in your definition file, you can have a paragraph called ImageReplacement (see the example file for syntax), inside which you just add something like this :
pseudo-file = yourimagefile

where pseudo-file is the path inside GH3, which may be a classic file or a file inside a .pak
and yourimagefile is the filename of your image (which at present must be in the main directory)

That's it ! Whatever is your original image, be it a .png, and .jpg, whatever its size or number of colors, it will automatically be resized, dithered and converted to GH3 image format.

At the moment, there is still a limitation : the image that will be included in your custom disk will retain the characteristic of the orginal image, most notably the number of colors and the format of the original palette. So, at the moment, if you try to replace a 16 colors image, your image will be reduced to 16 colors.

Since there are a lot of images in GH3, I made a small program that will extract all images of your original GH3 disk and will dump them do disk. To use it, just type at the command prompt :
extract_img e:/ temp/ outimg/
(replacing e:/ with the letter of your DVD drive containing the original disk)
like this :

After running, just point your browser to the outimg directory and click output_000.html. Now browse the images. Like this :

Note that under each image, there are its characteristics and its pseudo-name which you can just copy/paste in the definition file

What's new
0.8 (2008/06/30):
. added support for 4 and 6 channels ogg and flac
. corrected ogg and flac error messages
. corrected a stupid typo for one and ttfaf

0.7 (2008/05/27) :
. added image replacement (see above)
. added negative offsets support
. added Leff's way of forcing HO/PO support
. corrected TTFAF bug
. corrected coop bug

0.6 (2008/05/13) :
. added support for lightning events (see http://buildgh3.dnsalias.org/lightning.txt)
. added support for crowd events (see http://buildgh3.dnsalias.org/crowd.txt)
. corrected a bug in replaygain application that would cause too loud songs to be too much reduced and too quiet songs to be too much enhanced
. corrected a bug in minibuildgh3 that would misplace bonus songs and coop encores by one

0.5 (2008/05/09) :
. added no arguments handling (on GameZelda's suggestion)
. added priority_to_tags (song files tag to be used before charts), use the -t if you want the tags of your music files to take precedence over the charts for getting name of song and artist
. added real support for year
. added cameras support (see http://buildgh3.dnsalias.org/cameras.txt)

Last edited by tttttttt on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:16 pm; edited 13 times in total
GameZelda  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job with anything! I will use it in my next GH3 build

BTW, if you don't want to write a GUI, I think that a good option is that, if the user doesn't write any command line parameter, the program will request them in the console.

GH:WT-PS2 Customization Progress
[100%] Make it work (w/songs loading) in a DVD5 (thanks psychospacefish!)
[100%] Modify audio (Finally done 25/11/2008)
[100%] Modify charts (Done 26/11/2008! Customs finally )
tttttttt  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, I'll add that.
bobmat4  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. can we add more songs than in the original game???
SixStringedBass  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could we use winamp for the replay gain or does foobar do something different?
tttttttt  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No, and I don't know if it will be possible one day on PS2.

Quote:
could we use winamp for the replay gain or does foobar do something different?

Yes. As a rule of thumb, you can use whatever you want for ogg and FLAC. For mp3, there is no standard way of tagging the file with replaygain info, so I've implemented the TXXX tag. This is the way that foobar2000 and winwamp do, so in this case, you can replace foobar2000 with winamp. Just be sure to tag your files with per track replaygain infos.
SixStringedBass  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next question,

I know your program makes necessary changes to the songlist by using tag info, however is there a way to override that or do we simply have to specifically edit the tags in the file? For example, I add silence to .mp3 tracks and save as .ogg to get synchronization correct, but I don't edit tags in these files. Would I have to in order to get your program to make these changes in the songlist?
tttttttt  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SixStringedBass wrote:
Next question,

I know your program makes necessary changes to the songlist by using tag info, however is there a way to override that or do we simply have to specifically edit the tags in the file? For example, I add silence to .mp3 tracks and save as .ogg to get synchronization correct, but I don't edit tags in these files. Would I have to in order to get your program to make these changes in the songlist?

Actually, it works like this :

1) search for artist and songname in .chart file. If found, use that.
2) if not, search for tags. If found, use that.
3) if all fail, defaults to "songname" and "artist".

So, if your .chart contains all necessary info, tags won't even be looked at.
GameZelda  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttttttt wrote:
Quote:

No, and I don't know if it will be possible one day on PS2.

I tried to do it some time ago, I added the song PAK and MSV file, and added the song info on both songlist and store QB files. Result: I can buy the song, etc. but it hangs in the loading screen

I didn't add the practice MSV files or the mid_text file, I should try that, but I doubt that it's the problem.

PD: The same procedure works fine on GH3-PC

howlong  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no way. badass badass dood. keep up the good work =D
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: lilhaywood999
tttttttt  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've released a new version, with among other things support for cameras settings in the songs. See top post for the details.
GameZelda  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have one doubt before I use this... what's the order of the songs?

So if I call a file "m_01_mysong.ogg", it will be "Slow ride"? Or what?

tttttttt  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a file named m_01_* will be slowride. It's not the easiest part to explain so i'll try again :
the program looks for the first few characters in a file name, with the very first ('m' in your example) determining the general type of song : main song, encore song, bonus song etc...
then an underscore,
then a number representing the position inside the general type of song, so for example m_01 is slowride and m_32 is one.
Qwertyuiopia  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it doesn't support vgs at this time?

"Before the internet existed, people expressed their love for heavy metal in the bathroom stall" - Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80's
tttttttt  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qwertyuiopia wrote:
So it doesn't support vgs at this time?

I'm not sure of what you mean since there's no vgs in GH3. If you mean .isf/.imf which are the sound files on GH3, they're created by the program based on your .mp3/.ogg/.flac files.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 1 of 50

Jump to: