ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
12/5/09 - GH3 Tournament (also w/ DDR,ITG,SF4) - Monaca, PA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJSz  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: 12/5/09 - GH3 Tournament (also w/ DDR,ITG,SF4) - Monaca, PA Reply with quote

I know this a really REALLY short notice, but I figure some people in the Pittsburgh area might see it and be able to make it out. It's largely focused on Dance Dance Revolution (DDR) and In The Groove (ITG), but a good amount of interest has been shown for Guitar Hero and Street Fighter 4, so expect some decent competition if you are planning to come. =)

Beaver Valley Mall 5 (BVM5)
Tournaments include:
Dance Dance Revolution 7th Mix (MAX2)
In the Groove 2
Guitar Hero 3
Street Figher 4

Saturday, December 5, 2009
Beaver Valley Mall
Ace's Break Away & Play (located next to Sears inside the mall)
570 Beaver Valley Mall
Monaca, PA 15061
Google Maps
- Mall is located approximately 35-40 minutes Northwest of downtown Pittsburgh, and only about 20 minutes from Pittsburgh International Airport.

Time of event: 10am - 10pm
Registration/warm-up period: 10-11am (give or take 15 minutes)
First match: ~11:30am
- If interest is high, tournament may be extended to Sunday (very very unlikely) and/or time may be extended earlier or later. Rules may also be changed to accommodate time restraints.
- Street Fighter will start after Guitar Hero concludes; registration will still be open for SF4 until the brackets are made. DDR, ITG, and GH will all be starting at approximately 11:30am.

Contact Information:
Jared (JJSz)
AIM: jj002753s

Kyle (RiOdO)
AIM: ITG m4sTeRRiOdO

Twitter updates:
- Follow "BVM5" on twitter.com to receive current updates about the tournament. https://twitter.com/BVM5

Entry Fees: (these fees are subject to change at any time)
DDR 7th mix (Heavy) - $12.00
In the Groove 2 (Expert) - $12.00
Guitar Hero 3 (Guitar) - $12.00
Street Fighter 4 - $12.00
DDR 2x4/Variety Side Event (Heavy) - $6.00 per team, if time permits

***Special deals for entering more than one division: (not including 2x4/Variety)
- Two divisions for $20 ($4.00 off)
- Three divisions for $30 ($6.00 off)
- All four divisions for $38 ($10.00 off)

- All tournament machines will be on free play for the duration of the tournament.
- Tentative prize distribution: 65%/30%/5% (1st/2nd/3rd)
- Special thanks to Tiza for providing automated brackets for DDR and ITG.

Sponsors:

DDR rules/details:
- Tournament will be held on DDRMAX2 (7th mix). Machine is Korean and definitely not official; pads have Pump bars instead of DDR bars.
- Randomly seeded, double elimination bracket
- Coin flip will start each match (if needed), winner will choose either pad choice or order of song selection; loser will choose the other.
- Each match is best 2 out of 3 songs with each person choosing one song and one random song (on shuffle) if needed; winner is determined by Perfect + O.K. = Score
- Mods: Players are allowed to pick any mods, if they so desire, on your opponents song pick. Exceptions: Stealth, Little, and any speed mod that will make the BPM over 600 are banned.
- If time permits, final four will be round robin or best 3 out of 5. Song picks will be reset if round robin is used.
- Only Expert and Challenge difficulties are allowed
- Players may not pick a song chart more than once the entire tournament
- Bar use is permitted
- In the case of a failed song, the person lasting longer wins the song
- Pad stuff will be handled on a case-by-case basis
- Actions intended to distract your opponent in any way are banned.

ITG rules/details:
- Song packs to be used: In the Groove, In the Groove 2, In the Groove Rebirth
- Weighted random system is a possibility but unlikely.
- Mods from 1x to 10x in increments of .25x will be used.
- The machine is an upgrade.
- The machine will be running the latest version of OpenITG available for the tournament.
- The theme used will most likely be the default ITG2 theme unless something drastic changes.
- Randomly seeded, Double elimination bracket
- Coin flip will start each match (if needed), winner will choose either pad choice or order of song selection; loser will choose the other.
- Each match is best 2 out of 3 songs with each person choosing one song and one random song if needed; winner is determined by highest percent
- If time permits, final four will be round robin or best 3 out of 5. Song picks will be reset if round robin is used.
- Only songs on the Expert difficulty are allowed
- Players may not pick a song chart more than once the entire tournament
- Score-disqualifying mods are banned, turn mods are allowed if both players agree to it
- Bar use is permitted
- In the case of a failed song, highest percent will still be used to determine the winner
- Pad stuff will be handled on a case-by-case basis

Guitar Hero 3 rules/details:
- Will be played on the arcade's Xbox 360 console/machine.
- Game settings: Multiplayer Pro Face-off, Expert mode, Guitar (obviously)
- Hyperspeed is allowed, but only if both players agree to it
- Guitar controllers are available for use by the arcade, but players are encouraged to BYOC (Bring Your Own Controller)
- Round 1: A two song qualifier will be used to determine the seeding and only the top 16 players will move on to the next round.
- Round 2: Single elimination, NCAA style bracket, best 2 out of 3 songs with each player choosing one song and one random song if needed. 8 players will move on.
- Round 3/rest of tournament: Double elimination bracket should start here. In order to save enough time for SF4 if time is running short, we may do single elimination for one more round (less likely), or a one-song system in the losers bracket (more likely). Same deal as previous round, best 2 out of 3.
- Finals will be best 3 out of 5 songs if time allows for it
- Higher seed has option of determining who picks first or second song and side
- Winner is determined by song score
- Players may not pick a song more than once the entire tournament
- Pausing is banned

Street Fighter IV rules/details:
- Will be played on the arcade's Xbox 360 console/machine.
- Game settings: Versus Mode, 99 Seconds, No Handicap
- All characters are legal
- Controllers are available for use by the arcade, but players are encouraged to BYOC (Bring Your Own Controller)
- Randomly seeded, Double elimination bracket
- Games are best 2 out of 3 rounds; matches are best 2 out of 3 games, but the finals will be best 3 out of 5 games
- Pausing at anytime results in a forfeited round by person responsible
- If players cannot agree on method of character selection, a double blind method must be explicitly asked for before either player chooses a character. (aka it will go something like this: Player 1 whispers their character selection to the judge, Player 2 then selects their character, and then the judge will make sure Player 1 sticks to their original selection)
- The loser of a game is allowed to change their character, but the winner must keep the same character

DDR 2x4/Variety Side Event rules/details:
- Basically, your team will have to do something, which will not be playing DDR in a semi-normal environment, and teams will advance to the next round based on performance.
- Possibilities: 2x4, backwards 2x4, distract the other team, hold hands while playing, one-foot madness, etc etc etc. (If anyone thinks of good team challenges, let me know. I'm open to any and all ideas!)

Hope to see as everyone there! Please contact me with any questions, comments, suggestions, or concerns. Post here, message me on AIM, or contact me in some other way.

- JJSz
Jason2890  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in!
dpoeschl  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fairly tempting, especially since I left half of my clothes in Pgh last weekend ... might be nice to have an excuse to head that way. If enough of the Pittsburgh crew will be there I might have no choice but to come. Guess we'll see.

My GH Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/dpoeschl
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: dpoeschl
DeAtH434  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is lucky for me since I don't have anything to do tomorrow except some homework but I might be able to make it anyways.

ajanata  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider the trek but we're having our company Christmas party Saturday evening.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was GONNA try to find a ride, but if one of you guys are going, I won't, cause I want an EASY WIN EASY CASH HERE WE GO.

Fuck it. TAKE ME WITH YOU
Elipsis  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDCLXX wrote:
I was GONNA try to find a ride, but if one of you guys are going, I won't, cause I want an EASY WIN EASY CASH HERE WE GO.

Fuck it. TAKE ME WITH YOU

You have a ride.
massi4h  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the kind of tournament that seems really well organised and I'd love to attend if I lived anywhere near. Everything seems really professionally done. Are you streaming like many SF4 comps do nowadays by any chance?
Jason2890  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they streamed because the mall it was at didn't have wifi.

As for the GH tournament, congrats to Frank (Death434) on winning and to dpoeschl on taking 2nd.

Also awesome job dpoeschl on FCing FCPREMIX and then Take This
Life back to back in your match, haha.
DeAtH434  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great time guys, I had a blast. Always fun to see some competition. Just an FYI never and I mean NEVER play TTL against dpoeschl...unless of course you love humiliation.

dpoeschl  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost, it was awesome seeing all of you (Rob, Jason, Frank, Josh, Jordan), and meeting the one new dude GH Lachus (sp?, not sure if he's on ScoreHero) and Steve the SF4 dude.

Major congrats to Frank (Death434) on the win! Thanks to the DDR dudes for including us in the tournament.

My GH Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/dpoeschl
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: dpoeschl
MrPink  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im so pissed i didnt know about this tourney. i miss tournaments i think rob should host another one at that place where you he hosted that gh3 tourney and make it gh2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey does anyone know if tanked got banned??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPink wrote:
hey does anyone know if tanked got banned??

Hahahahaha. Funny that this is the first post I checked in my bi-monthly passing of this site.

John gets banned all the time, man. It's his favorite pastime.

Also, I'm not gonna be hosting anything else GH related or Scorehero related ever again. I'm beyond that point of my life. However, I'm sure I'll invite the Pittsburgh guys over for a cookout or something when the weather gets nice again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: