ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GRY=Strum Discussion: Cause and Fix Found! Update!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TehBanStick  

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: GRY=Strum Discussion: Cause and Fix Found! Update! Reply with quote

2023: The images here are long gone, but here is a new one from the same guitar to provide some context since even I was confused when initially coming back to this.

To simplify my teenage ramblings, the idea is to clear out all original solder with whichever desoldering solution you prefer, then carefully resolder to prevent any bridging.

Original post:

New Method using a de-soldering iron:
I did this a while back but never bothered to update this thread, so here goes.

Back in March there was a GH tourney at my school, I volunteered to supply my Xbox and my 2 Les Pauls. Since I knew my main LP was all fine and good, I turned my attention to my second LP (the one that had the problem when I got it and decided to go further than cutting in between the points and to just resolder it.

So these pictures basically show what I did.
Here is the board before:

Solder removed:

Resoldered:

Now I am confident that this LP will NEVER have this issue EVER because of this.

If the simple method doesn't do it for you, I'd recommend you try the resolder method if you have access to/know someone who has/are willing to buy a de-soldering iron.

Quote:
Update: After a few claiming this didn't work, I tested for the problem by holding GRY and crossing each connection pair.
(This is going by the tiny white print next to each wire)

What makes the guitar strum after holding GRY, it ONLY strums when those frets are held:
R4-R4
C2-C4
So check in between those two pairs for any crossing. (This is on the smaller line of points labeled "NECK")
A picture of where you want to check:
Red- the points

-
-
Original Post:
Quote:
I seem to have fixed this.
In my guitar(at least) the places between these points on the main board (with the D-Pad and Xbox Button) were darker and had solder/junk in between them (for me, the 5 points specifically marked in this picture)
(Thanks to BriGuy for the picture of the board)
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/7356/briguygryfixmk3.jpg
So what I did was I took an exacto knife and carefully scratched in between the points to get rid of anything in between. And surprisingly, it worked!
Might as well check every point and scratch iffy areas while you are at it too.

If you do this fix please post your results.

Last edited by TehBanStick on Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:28 pm; edited 10 times in total
Gotsmack  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking this when I get home from class tonight. If this works then you have won my heart.
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also gonna take a look at the circuit board of mine when I get home. I can confirm that this is a problem with the main circuit board and not the fret buttons or connections. When constructing "The One" guitar hybrid I bought 2 used broken Les Pauls. One of them had this problem and the other didn't. I tried many combinations of fret buttons, different grounds and leads and was not able to solve this problem, but confirmed that it was the PCB.
If this fix really did work for you and will work for others as well, we all owe you for finding a solution to this alarming and perplexing problem.

Oh and a clearer, in-focus picture would be REALLY helpful too. Maybe try a different camera that has the close-up setting.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BriGuy wrote:
Oh and a clearer, in-focus picture would be REALLY helpful too. Maybe try a different camera that has the close-up setting.

A picture in your "the one" thread has a picture of the board
http://i32.tinypic.com/xav02u.jpg
Could I just edit that since that is the only camera I have?
The main point of the picture was to show where you should clean it up, so I don't think it matters what les paul the picture is of.
SabertoothDrumma  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i believe you can help me, my strumbar keeps strumming down, and i was told to take it apart and adjust the microswitchbar because it was stuck in the down position, im not sure how to do this and i dont think i shud just jump in ther and start taking things apart.
im going to hav a little look since i already took the top off but i wont move anything unless im sure, if u can help me please do so and pictures wud be a great help...btw i hav the guitar hero 2 X-plorer controller.
cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SabertoothDrumma wrote:
well i believe you can help me, my strumbar keeps strumming down, and i was told to take it apart and adjust the microswitchbar because it was stuck in the down position, im not sure how to do this and i dont think i shud just jump in ther and start taking things apart.
im going to hav a little look since i already took the top off but i wont move anything unless im sure, if u can help me please do so and pictures wud be a great help...btw i hav the guitar hero 2 X-plorer controller.

This topic is regarding a common problem with the Les Paul guitar, nothing with the explorer.

However, as long as this topic is alive, Is there any other concrete evidence that this works? I have the GRY strum problem and I don't want to go into my guitar with out more solid evidence that this works.

Also, a more details/description of what exactly I do would be wonderful, this problem is really starting to get annoying.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
GrimSleapr  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobainage1994 wrote:
SabertoothDrumma wrote:

This topic is regarding a common problem with the Les Paul guitar, nothing with the explorer.

However, as long as this topic is alive, Is there any other concrete evidence that this works? I have the GRY strum problem and I don't want to go into my guitar with out more solid evidence that this works.

Also, a more details/description of what exactly I do would be wonderful, this problem is really starting to get annoying.

To answer first quote, just open it up. When you find the msb you can fiddle with it until it works. Don't worry about voiding your warrenty, its not like take the guitar back and replace it after use.

And its really hard to "break" your guitar once you open it. Unless you grab the board and go ape shit on it and pretend the board is back stop and call over the harlem globe trotters.

Just take it easy on the board andonly touch the side with the tips of your fingers.

also answers second quoter.

AND DO NOT USE A EXACTO KNIFE! you could scrape off precious metals and kill the connector. use something softer.
Say you have some finernails. use those. Or use steel wool. very very carefully use steel wool. THey also have these little plastic scrapers that they use on paint. buy them at your local arts and crafts store for like a buck. unless your canadian then its a looney
DiarugaM45  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this works, I WILL LOVE YOU FOR ALL ETERNITY. I've been stuck with my Xplorer due to this problem since December, and due to lack of funds, I've been without a great controller. (My Xplorer has wire issues, I'm buying another one after I buy the proper LP screwdriver)

I WILL post my results in a day or so.
DiarugaM45  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't work. I'm going to attempt hard-wiring with some spare cable, and if that doesn't resolve it, I'm burning this LP and buying two Xplorers.
GrimSleapr  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiarugaM45 wrote:
This doesn't work. I'm going to attempt hard-wiring with some spare cable, and if that doesn't resolve it, I'm burning this LP and buying two Xplorers.

hate to be dick but, havbe you checked the connectors from the neck to the body? somtimes those little things get dirty.

and if you can, do the duct tape mod.
Darith  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fix didn't do anything for me
TehBanStick  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only evidence I have is my word which is that it worked for on my extra LP from eBay.
I recreated the problem on my main LP when attempting to hardwire with the connectors still attached, I must have crossed something and it made it happen.

The best advice I can give is to check around that main board for any crossing/etc.

I don't know anyone personally who has the problem so I can't see if it works.

I'll open that same LP soon and see if I can get it to screw up again by crossing the frets.
EDIT: Updated OP with results.
vossy003  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried scratching between all of them and it didnt work. also my board is completely different, i couldnt get a clear picture but it goes like this
C4 R2 R1 C4 R3 C3 R3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind i found the problem im going to try it now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to post for the third time in a row. but i get antsy. i clean the board with contact cleaner and me and my dad thought it work but we realized that we didnt have a problem when i up strumed only down strummed. so can someone who had and fixed the problem look at the circuit board by the strum bar, becasue that is where we think the problem is
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: