ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Official "Video Game Challenge" Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
powahouse  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: my post above is also extremely hard on the aztec because of your extremely limited pistol ammo.

my changes to it are that the weapon you use has to be a pistol, if you start with a different weapon, then try the mission unarmed, or find a pistol. it's totally possible, because i already did it on agent, which isn't that hard except for train because you have to shoot the locks off the floor with the pistol which is five shots each in one minute times like, thirty locks.

and aztec is really hard too.

another challenge is too try killing every default programmed person or guard in the level and getting 100% accuracy on all levels. i haven't tried it on many, but i just got it on the 1st bunker.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: P0WAH0USE
kirk7777  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

Charlotte-only Challenge

One Simple Rule: Johnathan is not to be used under any circumstances unless the game requires it.

Starting now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game: Dungeon Siege, Legends of Aranna

Challenge: Single character

Rules: Nobody else can ever be added to party, even temporarily.
No Pack Mules.
Game must stay on Hard difficulty at all times.

I've seen multiple ideas for solo magi runs in Dungeon Siege (expansion, but original campaign) that all involve loading up the party with pack mules. I see so many ways to exploit that, and so, I started a solo run, in which nobody will ever be added to the party, and that includes mules.

Day 1: Decided that I would focus mainly on Nature Magic, for the healing, buffs and orbs that it has over Combat magic. That does not mean I'll be neglecting Combat magic, or the other two skills. I'll be trying to get as many stat increases as I can get my hands on, as the game permits. Created my game, after naming the character "Sologuy". Original, I know. It was that, or "LoadGame", as I expect to be doing that often.

Made it to Stonebridge, with only two deaths, both of which were due to carelessness. The first was laughable, just after the first autosave, against a pair of the 8HP krog. I was talking to my son, not watching the screen. I mean, come on, it's the freaking newbie area. I look back just in time to watch him die. Not the best of beginnings. The second death was me trying to not use a healing potion right before the crypts, vs three wolves. Yeah. Not a good idea.

Side note: I learned that, believe it or not, the spell vendor in Stonebridge won't always be willing to sell you Transmute. That hurts. Hopefully I can find the spell shortly or I'm going to be short on funds later on due to carrying space limitations.

Day 2: Made my way down into the Wesirn Cross dungeon. I'm finding the nature magic summons to be a liability as 1) they take way too much mana to cast, and 2) die almost immediately. I'm getting pretty decent at kiting, and thanks to Orb of Frost, I'm not having much real troubles making my way slowly though the dungeon.
RB2 Vocal FC count: 31 of 84.
Vocalist for 106 Miles to Chicago
TransfuSe  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disgaea: Afternoon Of Darkness (PSP)

Challenge: Etna Only

Basically I'm just going to try and beat the game using using only Etna. I'm not sure if this is possible yet as this is my first play through of the game but I guess I'll find out soon enough. Power upgrades and healing items are allowed.

UPDATE:

Currently on chapter 5

Etna is at level 27 with over 50,000 experience.

Health: 798
SP: around 178

Kind of stuck right now so I have to keep on grinding.
ir0ckdrumz073  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually started this a while back, pretty much exactly as TJ opened this thread.
Pokémon Sapphire: MUDKIP ONLY!

Just beat the 5th Gym leader, Norman, a few weeks ago, haven't played it since lol. I start keeping track from now on. I think Wallace will be the hardest.

Rules?

1. Mudkip can NOT evolve at any time, meaning no secondary ground type, but also no Muddy Water or Earthquake.

2. Blah blah blah, must only fight with Mudkip, blah blah blah.

3. I can have other Pokémon in my party, but they can only be used to revive Mudkip and use HMs.

4. Mudkip MUST be nicknamed IHerdULiek (check)

Oh, and I made sure I got a female one so I could breed it and send one to my Pearl.

7/17finally started up again.

- Started from Petalburg, biked all the way over to Mauville.

- Did the New Mauville thing , got the Thunderbolt TM (didn't have to do this, but whatever.)

- Bred with Whismur for a Mudkip egg, hatched it, sent it to Pearl. 

7/18

- Started from Mauville, surfed over to the berry guy's house.

- Made it through the Mimic Circle and the Weather Institute on Route 119

- Got lucky beating May again with a critical hit on her Grovyle. 

- Got the Devon Scope from Steven, defeated Winona with ease for my 6th Gym badge.

- Went down to Lilycove, battled May again (with ANOTHER lucky critical hit on her Grovyle), and beat Team Aqua at Mt. Pyre. Also, taught my Tropius Fly XD.

- Stopped at Aqua Hideout place.

7/20

- Started at the Aqua Hideout. Obtained the master ball and owned all the Grunts and people there. (one of them was Aqua Admin Matt lol...)

- Surfed over to Mossdeep, making sure to battle ever Swimmer I see.

- I think something's glitched with my game, the first time I talked to the guy at the space station he said it was successful liftoff #9999, lol

- Battled all the trainers in the 7th Gym.

- Defeated Tate & Liza using only Mudkip. I threw a pokeball at Lunatone like Inflatable Pie did in his Ditto run, so they would kill the zigzagoon for the first turn and I wouldn't be "cheating" with "extra damage" if you know what I mean.

7/22

- Started from Mossdeep. Realized I could not teach Mudkip Dive, so I had to catch a Magikarp, raise it a level, and teach it to Gyarados.

- Surfed over to Sootopolis so I could fly there later, then found the Seafloor Cavern.

- Beat all the Grunts and the Aqua leader.

7/25

- Flew over to Sootopolis so I could do the whole Cave of Origin/catching Kyogre thing.

- Used a Master Ball on Kyogre because it would just be too difficult to catch him with an Ultra using only Mudkip. >_>

- Taught Kyogre Waterfall. Surfed over to Pacifidlog and battled all the people there. Went back to Sootopolis and beat everyone in the Gym.

- Owned Wallace on my first try. Easier than I thought because his pokemon were at a lower level than I remembered.

7/26-8/01

- Trained Mudkip to lvl. 80 because I thought I would get pwned if I was anything lower, and training was going by quickly anyway.

8/03

- Used 2 rare candies for good measure-

Pwned Sidney by whoring Surf and Ice Beam.-

Pwned Phoebe by whoring more Surf-

Pwned Glacia by using X defends and whoring Return

- Pwned Drake by whoring Ice Beam

- Pwned Steven by using Ice Beam, Hydro Pump, Return, and Surf

I thought it was going to be a lot harder, but I guess I was stronger than I needed to be. woot!

8/06(THE QUEST IS NOT OVER OMGZ)

- Caught a Relicanth and a Wailmer, started training Wailmer

- Went up Sky Pillar to try and catch Rayquaza and that's where I stopped. No luck so far

Mudkip currently lvl. 86 =O

Time Elapsed: 16:something
Pokedex: 13
Badges: 8

Playing on a DS, btw.

Last edited by ir0ckdrumz073 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 163323471020
Yewb  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Fantasy X

Yuna-Only, No Summoning (YONS)

(note: technically, it's YONSOSG, but SCC's generally incorporate OSG. The exception is once you've beaten BFA, you're allowed to go back and stat max Yuna for sidequest purposes.)

Yep, this is a real bitch of a challenge. I've done both TO and AO SCC's, and both were ridiculously easy (AO less so; his strength and defence don't mean a lot without accuracy, agility and evasion), so I decided to skip all the intermediate challenges and go straight for a toughie. I haven't done an NSG, because I hear it's a lot easier than AO, so I can't be bothered.

If anyone wants to watch me (highly unlikely) - for proof, or just to keep me sane - I'll be streaming it sometimes.

Day 1
Started the challenge. Got to Besaid, and the challenge proper began.

Day 2
Mostly training in Besaid. Apparently Dingos drop elemental strikes, which can be useful, but in four hours I never saw one for any character, so decided to give it a miss and head on over to Kilika.

Day 3
Oh Kilika, how I want to stab thee. This is the part where you spend hours farming Killer Bees and Ragorae for a poisontouch drop. Got the useful poisonward armour for Yuna, but nothing in the form of a weapon so far. I'm dying pretty much every other battle, because I try not to run away from anything except a lone Yellow Element, when its friends have died.

I have learned all the Nul-spells and am progressing along Yuna's sphere grid with all the brisk haste of a dead badger. I am tempted to kill Lord Ochu, but that'll mean a lot of hassle at the end of the game where I have to make very strange armour in order to survive Triumphant Grasp (due to not being able to Overkill for a second HP sphere at this stage).

I have spent six hours today dealing 30 damage at a time to enemies with extremely high evasion, and am just about ready to snap. This is nothing compared to the grinding before Sinspawn Gui... My game clock stands at 28 hours, but actual gameplay time is likely half that. I hope.

Day 4
Yewb Kept A'Grindin'. Still in Kilika, still having a whale of a time farming monsters with high defence, HP, evasion and strength, while only using a character that deals 30 damage every time she hits, which is never

Finally, hit the first HP node on Yuna's grid, that makes grinding a lot easier since I can fight double Ragorae without dying every time or spending the entire fight healing.

Also just got a fuckin' Firestrike drop! This makes Ragora fights much easier, especially dual Ragorae. Still no poisontouch, though. About to hit the next HP node, which will be epic. Have spent another nearly six hours grinding today. Actually having fun, because some of the fights here are actually hard, which is something this game has never really been for me before. Not trying to be arrogant, but I'm not going to lie about the fact that this game is easy once you familiarise yourself with CTB.

Online Uno against GangsterHebrew, LemonMeringue and Gio kept me going Hit that HP node, which is making the fights pretty easy, except for when I get petrified (unavoidable sometimes, unless you run from every fight containing a Dinonix).

Day 5
STILL in Kilika! Got a second Poisonward armour for Yuna, which made me headdesk.

Overwrote. My. FUCKING. Save. Time to restart the whole thing after 40 hours of game time >_______>

Started again.

Day 6

This time, farmed the Garuda tutorial battle for a Darktouch weapon for Yuna, and got it after many many resets. Should stop me being petrified quite so often by fucking Dinonixes...

Day 9001 Start Game Time (SGT): 7:10

Haven't played for a few days, losing that save really pissed me off. Back to Kilika though, and ready to farm for some Poisontouch. Started listing the game time at the start of the day, although with resets it's likely to be much more than given.

Day 10 SGT: 9:17

I have limited expectations of that Darktouch weapon I farmed (farming it took me an entire day of resets). Ragorae are apparently immune to the status, so it's only useful if Dinonixes, Killer Bees and/or Lord Ochu (ha) are susceptible. Got a Poisonward armour for Yuna, though; very helpful for farming Poisontouch. Nothing else interesting yet

Day 11 SGT: 22:40 (WAHT)

Fuck. Ragorae.

That is all.

Day 12 SGT: 31:32

Hit the first and second HP nodes on Yunie's grid, so I'm basically back where I overwrote; hit 50 hours total (on both saves) Kilika farming, not including resets. Got the Serum Ring and 2 Light Rings, which I didn't have before. All in all, doing okay and should get the Belladonna Wand soon.

Ugh, got a weapon drop for Yuna and my heart leapt before I realised it was a measly S-Staff Completely unnecessary, since common spheres abound in any SCC.

MY BROTHER overwrote my save at 70 hours. Fucking hell, shit arsetosser craphead.

Day Many (We'll call it 13.) SGT: 0.00

Lol, crap. Basically what I've done is used every character in battles and summoned as much as I want, up until I get to the same point as I was pre-overwrite. Got to Mushroom Rock Road and am grinding out Reflect for Sinspawn Gui - only 10 or 11 levels (40k AP) to go...
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.

Last edited by Yewb on Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:14 pm; edited 26 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
egraves7  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been inspired by Yewb's FFX - YONS (Yuna Only No Summon) challenge, I have decided to attempt the following

Final Fantasy X

Lulu Only No Magic

This challenge is what it sounds like, I can only use Lulu to attack, no magic can be used.

I'm not sure whether or not I can use other players as support, so if you have any ideas, let me know!

Yewb  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egraves, standard SCC (single character challenge) rules:

Only the chosen character may perform any hostile or beneficial action in battle.
All other characters must continuously "Escape" until successful (attacking themselves is not allowed).
During boss or unescapable fights, the other characters must either change weapons continuously or attack themselves.
No equipment that affects the whole party (e.g. Sensor or Initiative) may be worn by any other characters.
No status, elemental or damage protection/reduction (including HP) may be worn by any other character.

There is a school of thought that says No Customisation should be added as default to any non-Rikku SCC, since she performs the customisation on weapons, but that's bullshit.

If I can give you some advice here: you will have a very tough time. Make sure to get every stat sphere along the way to BFA, and always have a good selection of healing items. Take advantage of the Worker fights in Luca to get 99 Hi-Potions, 60-70 X-Potions and a lot of levels.

Thank God for Lulu's ridiculous Evasion stat I found that during the early part of YONS (and no doubt the later sections as well), you rely heavily on healing magic. I'm not sure how that would translate to a LONM, but I'm guessing it's just an items thing.

In all honesty, I'm not sure this challenge is possible. Sinspawn Gui is ridiculous. But if you can do it, go for it

---

In response to Bladed on the first page: KOOSG... Does Kimahri even have a proper grid path? I can't recall any abilities that are specifically his except Lancet and, arguably, Scan. Then again, I haven't done a non-challenge run on the Standard Grid in a long time, so I may be missing something. All I believe he has is one small circle in the middle, which everyone else also has some degree of access to by the mid-game.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
JOE2210 wrote:
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
GHAddict  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for my general ignorance, but... When you say "challenge" does that include challenges against other people/players, or is it restricted to something you challenge yourself to do?

[Customs] - Click here if you like awesomeness

Goal: FC 75% of ALL on-disc Guitar Hero songs (Band Hero doesn't count) - (430 / 575)
Current: 368 / 575 - (64%)
Yewb  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's generally restricted to running through a game with certain self-imposed limitations - like a speed run, or single-character run, or something ridiculous like NSGNSNCNONENNENBB* where multiple components of the same challenges are reduced to an acronym.

* FFX challenge: No Sphere Grid, No Summoning, No Customisation, No Overdrives, No Escaping, No [No Encounters], No Blitzball. HALP
JOE2210 wrote:
KrakenEater  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Egraves and Yewb, those are both awesomely hard challenges. I only had the patience for a Tidus only quest, and an Auron only (but I cheated, I used a teleport sphere to get hast ). Yewb, why did you have to restart the whole game? Did you have a back up save file? [edit] Oh, you overwrote. That's what ended my Auron only. It really sucks, but next time make sure to have a back-up. Maybe you'll get the elemental strike this time!

Wait... you've done an ODINS? You freak >.>

Last edited by KrakenEater on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail PSN Name: KrakenEater
Yewb  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrakenEater wrote:
Good luck Egraves and Yewb, those are both awesomely hard challenges. I only had the patience for a Tidus only quest, and an Auron only (but I cheated, I used a teleport sphere to get hast ). Yewb, why did you have to restart the whole game? Did you have a back up save file? [edit] Oh, you overwrote. That's what ended my Auron only. It really sucks, but next time make sure to have a back-up. Maybe you'll get the elemental strike this time!

Thanks

In fact, I have a small confession to make: I never actually finished my AO run. I in fact got all the way up to the final save sphere, turned my game off and never did it; the plan was to finish it off at some point, but I then overwrote my oh-so-close AO save with my first YONS save, which I then overwrote with an ODINS save that only existed due to a momentary lapse in brain function, and had to start over again on YONS.

AO nearly finished -> YONS 40 hours -> ODINS* -> YONS 2.

* One Day In No Saves. That means the save shouldn't even have existed, I just saved on autopilot - which is also the reason I overwrote Guess I was just used to saving after every battle in YONS.

Also, I just skipped Besaid farming this time (no point levelling there in a standard YONS: by the time you get to any stat gains rather than Nul-spells you're levelling up so slowly it hurts) so no firestrike drop. Did get Darktouch and Dark Ward both for Yuna from the forced Garuda fights though And a Waterstrike from the forced Flan fight.

So yeah, it's going better this run
JOE2210 wrote:
killrage  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the hardest challenges I've ever seen is the:LOZ Ocarina of Time UBER CHALLENGE

UBER CHALLENGE RULES!!!:
-3 hearts, no Heart Pieces whatsoever
-Buy Giant's Knife and break it ASAP, and use that at all times (except in the
Graveyard and while fighting Ganon)
-All Medallions
-1 Bottle
-No deaths (death counter at file select must say 000)
-No Iron Boots
-No capacity upgrades
-No Great Fairy gifts except Magic Meter and Din's Fire
-No Gold Skulltula family gifts from 20 or more Gold Skulltulas
-No Goron Bracelet
-No Fire Arrows
-No Lens of Truth
-No Longshot
-No Silver Scale
-No Zora Tunic
-No Gerudo's Card
-No Maps or Compasses
-No Biggoron's Sword
-Cannot use Action Replay, Gameshark, etc.
-Cannot use Crooked Cartridge (touching your game cartridge while playing)
-Cannot use Din's Fire outside the central room of the Water Temple
-Cannot use Megaton Hammer to attack enemies (exception of stunning Volvagia)
-Cannot use Megaton Hammer outside the Fire Temple
-Cannot use Deku Sticks to attack enemies
-Cannot use power crouch stab
-Cannot use bottle except to show Ruto's Letter to King Zora
-Cannot learn any songs except Song of Time, Zelda's Lullaby, and Minuet of
Forest
-Must have Shadow Medallion before entering Forest Temple
-Must fight Dark Link

Walkthrough, video at bottom

Credit to manocheese for construction and completion of the Uber Challenge
Beat TTFAF (expert)[X]
RB Goals:
FC/gold star:GGAHT[X Twice!] 1 song[X] 5 songs[X] 10 songs[X] and so on...[X]
kirk7777  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resident Evil 4 Speedrun

Rules:

-Must finish the game in under 4 hours
-Herbs cannot be combined
-Weapons allowed are; Handcannon, P.R.L. 412 (STUN ONLY!), TMP, Mine Thrower, and Bolt-action rifle.
-Weapons are allowed to be upgraded
-First Aid Sprays, brown and plain chicken eggs and Green Herbs are the only allowed healing items, no chicken eggs
-First Aid Sprays cannot be bought from the merchant.
-The Challenge will begin at 9:00 A.M eastern. That's 3 minutes.
Also it will be Wii Edition, but I'll use a classic controller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paper Mario Lowest Level Challenge

The lowest level you can achieve is Level 7 with about 86 leftover star points. This means the only people you are fighting are bosses...for the most part.

There are certain battles where the enemies can be scared away/Star-ed away. So, that means if they can be scared away, SCARE THEM AWAY!

There aren't any more restrictions, really.

Rules:

- You can only fight battles that you CANNOT avoid (I will post a list soon, I have it somewhere).
- If the enemies can be scared away, or can be sent to the skies with one of the Star Powers, then they must be scared/Star-ed
- Obviously, you can't do certain battles such as The Anti-Guy for the Power Plus Badge
- There is no limit on upgrading your partners.

I actually did manage to complete this last year. It was fun, but very painful at times, trying to get Bow to scare away some enemies that had a ~%25 chance of running.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: