ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Official "Video Game Challenge" Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just choked an ODINS (One Day In No Saves) run of Final Fantasy X.

23 hours in.

The tricky thing about ODINS is that you're working both to a strict 24 hour time limit while attempting to beat each and every fight first try. That means that you can't overlevel your party - you simply don't have time - but you have to keep them at a level where each boss is pretty easy, without wasting time. Long story short, I got past Gui. Got past Evrae, albeit barely. I got past Seymour/Anima, and Seymour Natus. Defender X? Not a problem at all. Seymour Flux. Piece of piss with a couple of Aeon Overdrives.

Then I got to the cave on Gagazet (which I forgot was there), making shitty time and nervous about not being able to get to the end within 24 hours. Completely forgot about the Sanctuary Keeper boss waiting without warning outside, and spent a long time strategising the fight on the fly (I didn't have Dispel at that point, which means you can't really stop him healing himself). Just as he's about to die, he casts Regen.

I then spent nearly 15 minutes trying to work out how to kill him - he was regen'ing faster than I could hit him and there was no way I could think of to stop him doing so. Then I think "well, may as well try to outdamage it", so I bring in my best surviving aeon, Ixion. Aha, Aerospark! Hit him with that, dispel Regen and dismiss. Go back to whacking away at Sactuary Keeper and eventually kill him. By this point I'm 21.5 hours into the challenge and still have Zanarkand, a couple of lengthy cutscenes and Sin to go. I'm almost positive I won't make it.

So, I speed through Zanarkand as fast as I can, only fighting high-AP groups of enemies. Run straight through the trial (ezmode) and, fearing the worst from Yunalesca, straight into the maw of Spectral Keeper.

Please note at this point that I was exceedingly tired, having been up for 28 hours already. I was not in possession of the best consitution. Mind working slowly, fingers twitching from the caffeine, hungry and desperately tired. I did not plan this run. It was done at a whim after waking up at 8pm, going to the shop for some food and energy drink, then thinking "...know what? I'm going to be bored tonight. What can I do? Oh yeah... ODINS!". I came back, set up my webcam (took four hours due to FUCKIN' USTREAM), streamed the whole thing start to finish. I was annoyed at the game and myself.

That's why I inadvertently let him counter all of my characters for 2100 damage apiece, twice in a row.

I'm going to try again at some point. Plan it properly, etc. Not die to a giant wasp surrounded by exploding circles. When I do, I'll let you know.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Yewb  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ODINS round 2 fucking fail.

Decided to take a chance on the Expert grid this time, it's faster because it lets you customise your characters how you want. Well, I seriously underlevelled Yuna, as most people do on the XSG. In fact, by the time I got to her part of the Via Purifico, she only had 675 HP. First battle. Ambush. Ten seconds and dead.

I could and would have had it that time, if I hadn't been ambushed in that fight. FML.

I WILL be going for this again the next time I can, and I WILL get it. I know exactly where I went wrong this run, and it was actually very early in the game where I wasted 5 or 6 sphere levels for Yuna out of sheer forgetfulness (she was meant to "backtrack" from the start to pick up a Magic node and Scan, then go back on her own grid, but I accidentally backtracked way too far). Had I not done that, I would have had an extra 5 or 6 levels for her in the part in which I died. That equates to enough HP, agility and defence to survive a Via Purifico ambush easily.

Next time I will be using the XSG again, seemed to work a charm last time. My SG path will be:

T/W W/W Y/Y L/L-Y K/W A/A R/R-T
For comparison, my last run used
T/W W/W Y/Y L/L K/W A/A R/T

Which is pretty much the same, but simpler and IMO worse-planned.

The breakoff points for Lulu and Rikku will be about halfway-ish; for Lulu, the next time her grid crosses Yuna's after obtaining the level 2 spells, and for Rikku the first time her path crosses Tidus'. Or, I might just backtrack Rikku and take her through Tidus grid from the start, undecided yet. She's not too useful for anything except Evrae, really, so it doesn't matter too much.

The strength sphere from the Blitzball game fairly obviously goes on Wakka's grid ASAP, which means it'll be activated by three characters. A +4 bonus to Strength pretty much doubles the character's physical attack power until you get to the endgame, so this makes it MUCH faster. Means I can focus a little more on training (*cough* Yuna) and still make it in time.

I will be streaming this starting tonight (Wednesday). I have a meeting at 11:30am today so I'll go to that, come bck, crash, get a few hours' sleep then start the run. I'll be in #scorehero Gamesurge IRC, and also in #yewb-rocks-face on irc.ustream.tv during the run, so if you want to come in and chat etc, please do.

I need ideas for how to make the stream better for you guys. I have a few people who have watched my previous ODINS runs all they can, and I fear it's starting to get a little old after 40 hours of FFX stream in 4 days. What can I do to make the stream more fun to watch?
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
JOE2210 wrote:
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Yewb  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yunalesca, 3 hours from the end (plenty of time).

15k HP left on her final form.

Mind Blast.

Two characters dead; Auron confused.

FML

--

Edit:

The very next run, I made it. To the final save point.

FMMFL

You have no idea how tempting it is to put that fucking ODINS banner in my sig. Lol.

As a side note (this was commented on by a few of the viewers of my stream): the songs playing on last.fm during the final fight were, in order:

Eye of the Tiger, as the final scene ended, Jecht prepared, and the fight began.
Livin' On A Prayer, as the fight turned nasty and I missed stopping BFA's OD.
Panic Attack, as Yuna suffered a shattering and I let out an involuntary gasp of fail.
Spirit in the Sky, as I realised I was spending all my turns healing and wouldn't win.
Afterlife, as the Game Over screen appeared.

Yes, seriously. Nothing omitted, nothing altered. That's what played on a random RB station.

To people who still care, or indeed ever cared, I will be going for this again next week. I haven't given up! Just because Isuyaru got it first :P
JOE2210 wrote:

Last edited by Yewb on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ODINS challenge is pretty hardcore. You must be exhuasted by the end!

I've always wanted to do some sort of challenge like that, the requires nearly a whole day to do, but I find myself lacking the time and patience to do it.
Nulien  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately, I've been working on a speedrun of Final Fantasy VII:

Edit: Just over 2:58 now, just defeated Jenova-Birth, and I'm on my way to the North Corel area.

I'm mostly following GarlandG's speedrun faq from gamefaqs. I'm aiming for a time of <10 hours, and I'm planning to keep uploading these videos to Youtube as I go. It's probably going to be quite a while before I'm finished...

Edit: I'm not recording videos anymore. It's such a pain in the ass to do that... the video quality was crap anyway. I'm still going to keep working on this run though.

Edit again: I've come back to doing this speedrun with renewed determination! I abandoned the run I was working at and started a new one, and so far I'm doing better, and I'm going to keep it recorded too. Here's the playlist for the new one so far. I've got more done than I have uploaded there, I'm currently saved on the world map on the way to Gold Saucer after the Palmer fight, at about 4 hours and 4 minutes.

Last edited by Nulien on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tooren  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started a FFX Challenge, which requires: Very much of PATIENCE!

Name is: NSGNSNCNONENNENBB

NSG - No Sphere Grid. Don't activate a single node on the Sphere Grid. (meh)

NS - No Summon. Don't summon an aeon. Except for the four forced Summons. (fairly easy)

NC - No Customise. Don't use the "Customise" ability in the menu. You are
allowed to upgrade a Celestial Weapon to their full power, though.

(oh fu*k)

NO - No Overdrives. Don't use overdrives, except for the two forced ones.

(...)

NE - No Escape. Don't escape from a single battle.

(This is when it gets interesting, really hard)

NNE - No [No Encounters]. Don't use the weapon/armour ability [No Encounters]

(Kinda has something to do with "No Escape")

NBB - No Blitzball. Don't play Blitzball for rare items.

(i don't normally play BB so this is pretty null)

I'll keep you guys updated.

I'm at Djose Temple now, hard part is to get to the moonflow, atleast you'll get Rikku there.

EDIT 1: YES! I got Rikku now, stealing time begins! Saved again at djose temple, stealing is pretty hard in the Djose Highroad because of the 1x Basilisk and 2x Funguar combination (which occurs kinda often >_>)

EDIT 2: Sorry i havent been updating this, i just got to the Highbridge (Fuck, seymour natus) and i'm going to spend the whole day trying to beat seymour. After that, i will spent a fucking long time at Calm Lands (Capturing, stealing and stuff) So, wish me luck!

Last edited by Tooren on Fri May 29, 2009 9:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Yewb  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the NSGNCNSNO, I'll be going for that myself after I finish YONS. I don't think it's ever been done on record but I know at least one member of this site is very close.

Also, the NBB rule is quite the killer at times... no Dark Matter etc. Obviously DM is unnecessary in a normal run, but it can be a godsend in a difficult challenge :P

In related news, the YONS is actually going fairly well, albeit slowly. I'm currently feeling the grind in Macalania...
JOE2210 wrote:
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOLO HOBOPOLIS RUN COMPLETE!

Fuck yes. This took me well over a month.

Oh, and cost me nearly 40,000,000 meat. Including the 11 for sewer setup.
JOE2210 wrote:
JediSasquatch  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pretty good challenge, it can be applied to any game. Preferably a game that can be beaten in a matter of hours. It's called "The Speedy Bleedy Challenge".

Step 1: Cut off your left hand.
Step 2: Complete the game before you bleed to death.
Step 3: Call 911 if you haven't fainted yet.

It's pretty fun, I did a DKC speedy bleedy a few weeks ago.

"Fear is your only God on the radio."
-Rage Against The Machine
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Jedi Sasquatch
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have less than three minutes before cutting off a hand at the wrist and dying. And that's if you're lucky. TAS time?
JOE2210 wrote:
radoaos  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any challenges for FFiv?
Chrono trigger?
Fire emblem?
xxtimetokillxx  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting myself familiarized with FFX again, I'm gonna be doing some speed runs, I was actually close to some of the fastest speed runs, but then I stopped, I'm wondering how close I can get again.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: XxTimetoKillxX PSN Name: XxTimetokillxX
Rawrspoon  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokemon Platinum: beat the Elite 4 and champ (1st run) with level 45 as the highest in your team

Works on diamond and pearl, but not favorable. Level ups during battle are accepted.

Really hard to do x-xu
Munzapoppa  

Location: In front of my PS3, feeding my addiction to Green Day Rock Band. NO I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I came up with a fun challenge for Grand Theft Auto games (I tried it on Vice City Stories, but it works on any of the games). The challenge is to see how many people you can kill before you get wasted or busted by police. It's actually pretty hard to get a high number, my highest so far is 38. I'm going to try and get 50 today.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could help me come up with a good FE:PoR/FE:RD challenge.

I've already done only Female/only Male runs on both games, and now I need something new to try.

I want it to be as hard as possible without requiring RNG abuse.

Thanks in advance

Skype wrote:
[4:09:44 PM] Jared Brock: War Ensemble is easy as hell [on drums]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: