ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Official "Video Game Challenge" Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJShultz  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: The Official "Video Game Challenge" Thread Reply with quote

The frequency with which various video game challenge threads (FFVII with starting weapons, no items, etc., Pokemon with only a particular pokemon, etc.) has skyrocketed lately, and it's getting a little bit out of hand. That being the case, I am making this thread to consolidate things - it will serve as a venue for posting your video game challenges. You can still do them and post about them, but this is now the place for them.

Rules to Follow:

All of the same rules that apply to posting anywhere else on the forums will apply here, as well as the following guidelines:

Rule 1: Do not start new threads for your video game challenges. As of the posting of this sticky, I will lock any new video game challenge thread. If you have an existing challenge that you are actively updating, please write a new post in this thread, and provide a link to the old thread so that people can read that to familiarize themselves with your challenge.

Rule 2: Do not write a new post every time you update your challenge. Edit your original post. I will try to update this post with a link to any challenge that is added for quick reference.

Rule 3: Do not use this thread for general gaming discussion. Keep posts relevant to active challenges.

Rule 4: Use this thread for discussion of any challenges you are thinking of doing. Please do not start additional threads to ask for input about a challenge; this thread should serve as a venue for all challenge-related discussions.

If you stick to these rules, all will be well. If you don't, I will send Kaiser after you to bite your ankles. You'll hate it, and cry.

Ongoing Challenges:
Bladed - Kingdom Hearts 2: Weakest Weapons
Slayer 17 - Final Fantasy VII: Single Character, Starting Weapon, etc.
Spartan360X - Final Fantasy VII: Single Character
Rikuthemaster - Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
StrykerX - Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Romanticide - Lufia II
dr4gonforce – Pokemon Collosseum: Espeon Only
CleverTangent - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 3 Heart Challenge
Sheep Kirby – Pokemon Silver: Solo Smeargle Run
solidsnake831 – Resident Evil 4: No purchased weapons
Kirk7777 – Castlevania: POR: Charlotte Only
InsaneAsylum – Dungeon Siege, Legends of Aranna: Single Character
TransfuSe – Afternoon of Darkness: Etna Only
ir0ckdrumz073 – Pokemon Sapphire: Mudkip Only
Yewb – Final Fantasy X: Yuna Only, No Summons

1) You're using numbers in place of words.
2) You're spelling at the second grade level.
3) You're posting in CAPS.
4) This post is in the wrong place, and should have been in Software.

Conclusion: Custom songs are not your "cup of tea", and I'd suggest undertaking a much more simpler hobby. Perhaps tree watching.

Last edited by TJShultz on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:48 pm; edited 9 times in total
Bladed  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entire Edit:

I've changed my challenge completely for now. It's a temporary thing, and I've finished most of my practice run using a small amount of items surprisingly. I'm back up to Xigbar.

So, until I get a Gamebridge (or something similar) I'll be doing a Final Fantasy V Advance Solo Bartz challenge.

Video 1: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mcRJSkg9k8Q

Video 2: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdp-kUQIhQw

Part 3: Changing the format to one that I can host on YT.

Parts 4-9: Waiting for part 3 to finish, so I can edit them and then change their format, then upload them.

Sorry again, TJShultz.

Last edited by Bladed on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
Slayer17  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLAYER17'S FINAL FANTASY VII CHALLENGE: SCSWESONIIB

STATS AS OF 5/22/08:

Single Character
Starting Weapon
(Buster Sword; may never be unequipped)
Enemy Skill Materia Only(this is the only materia I may use throughout the game)
No Items In Battle(self-explanatory; can use items out of battle; also, NO SOURCES OF ANY KIND)

Anything else goes.....which isn't much lol.

And so it begins:

Day 1 - Popped in Disc 1 for the first time in a while. Selected "NEW GAME" and went to get food whilst the intro video played. Killed off Barret whom I aptly named "BIGBLACKY". Accidentally attacked Cloud once doing 35 damage....boo.

- Game Over on the fucking Guard Scorpion due to getting hit by the tail laser....this is going to be harder than I thought.

- Beat Guard Scorpion after leveling up once lol.

- Leveled Cloud up to level 10 at the Train Graveyard. Gonna get Cross Slash before moving on.

Day 2 - Leveled Cloud to 12 and got Blade Beam....wow that was fast. Attempted Boss #2 Air Buster and got royally pwned. I'll need to level Cloud to probably around 20 before I can even stand a chance against this thing. Hopefully I will also get Climhazzard by then.

- Got Climhazzard and Cloud is level 14. Just attempted Air Buster again, and still got royally owned. My potion supply which I use to level up is running low. I'm down to 39 of my original 99. if I end up using all the potions before I beat this boss I might cry....or cheat, whichever comes first.

- GOT METEORAIN!!!!! YES!!!! Ok, now with this lethal weapon, I think I stand a chance against Air Buster. Cloud is very close to level 16. By the time I build up his Limit Gauge, he'll be to 16. Then, I'll try the boss. Also, I'm down to 19 potions >_<

- WOOT! Beat Air Buster!!!! - Video

- Beat boss #3 Apps in one try Luckily I remembered there was a boss coming up and built up my Limit Gauge. Cloud is still level 16.

- Beat boss #4 Reno in one hit! Meteorain FTMFW!!! I'm flyin' now

Day 3 - Beat Boss #5 Sample HO512....I ended the battle with 7 HP. Forgot to record it though
- Tried to beat the Hundred Gunner with Barret and lolfailed.

- Beat the Hundred Gunner and Heli Gunner using all Aeris, Red XIII, and Barret, still no items or materia, and starting weapons. I'm not happy about it, but there was no way around it. Anyway, Boss #6 defeated.

- Beat boss #7 Rufus. It was pretty easy, and I got it on film.

- Attempted Motor Ball and was royally pwned. Just built up my limit break and I'm about to try again.

- Meteorain has failed me Looks like I need to level up again. Shooting for 21 before I try the boss again. It has 2600 HP, so that'll take probably 2 Meteorains, which will never happen. I tried using a hyper beforehand, but after the minigame everyone's statuses get reset.

- Got the hyper thing to work by using it when the minigame starts and it shows the controls. Using that I was able to pull off a second Meteorain...which didn't kill it. I r sad.

Day 4 - Beat boss #8 Motor Ball!

- Got my first Enemy Skill - Matra Magic!

- Crossed the swamp without a chocobo on my first try!

- Beat boss #9 Bottomswell first try! It was really boring and a relatively quick fight, so no video(I also saved over it lol).

- Beat boss #10 Jenova Birth!!!! This took about 5 tries, but damn did I get lucky! Lucky win is lucky.

- Beat boss #11 Dyne first try!

- Got the buggy, going for Aqualung enemy skill.

- Got Aqualung and got to level 30. Also, beat boss #12 Reno and Rude. Complete joke, but the dialogue is hilarious.

Day 5 - Stuck on Gi Nattak. Went to get Omnislash...but can't yet. Gayness. Just wasted 2 hours, 50 GP, and 65,000 BP.... /wrists.

- Beat Gi Nattak!

- Got to level 41 and am at the next boss already: Materia Keeper.

- Beat Materia Keeper!

- Leveled to 50!

- OBTAINED OMNISLASH AFTER ANOTHER HOUR AND A HALF IN THE BATTLE ARENA!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!! The last battle was so epic. I went into the 8th battle with poison and low health, and somehow managed to kill a Ying and Yang. Those guys are BRUTAL!

- BEAT BOSSES 15 AND 16!!!! Holy shit these battles were both so close...no idea how I came out of them alive!

Day 6 - Beat bosses 17 and 18 Schizo and Jenova Death. Both battles were quite boring and really only consisted of Omnislash and a few Aqualungs.

- Progressed the story a ton. Blah blah, no more Cloud for a bit

Day 7 - Beat boss #19 Carry Armor after at least 10 tries!

Last edited by Slayer17 on Wed May 28, 2008 1:17 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Mr Pants17
TJShultz  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for causing any panic, I'm in the process of responding to all the threads I lock directing people to this thread.

1) You're using numbers in place of words.
2) You're spelling at the second grade level.
3) You're posting in CAPS.
4) This post is in the wrong place, and should have been in Software.

Conclusion: Custom songs are not your "cup of tea", and I'd suggest undertaking a much more simpler hobby. Perhaps tree watching.
Spartan360X  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You scared the crap out of me when I saw all of these challange threads getting locked...I started to think it was against the rules...

Well, least ya told us

Well..Everyday I get more and more pissed about my memory getting deleted...

Well, I got my FF7 Disc working so I am going to do a...

Single Character, Starting Weapon, Enemy Skill Materia Only, and No Items In Battle.

Instead of doing my FF8 No-Junction run...

It is the same challange slayer17 is doing.

Total Stats:

Level:10
Limit:Cross Slash
Armor:Iron Bangle
Acessory:N/A
Total Deaths:0
Segments Beaten:1
Bosses Defeated:1 Latest:Guard Scorpian
Enemy Skills Learned:0

Segment 1: A Giant Mechanical Scorpian? WTF?

Deaths This Segment:0

Ahh, the beginning Cinema I have seen over one million times...I wish I could skip it...Barret is officially dead!...Guard Scorpian Beaten FIRST TRY!...I would of died but somehow he missed his last Scorpian Tail or whatever it is called and I killed him next turn. Well I am out of the reactor so this segment is over

Segment 2: The Boringness of Tifa's Place

Deaths This Segment:0...Shouldn't be any...Leveling up to get Meteorain...this is taking awhile...

New Goal: Get more FCs on GH1 and 80's Hard.
Newer Goal: Forget the goal above and get to 65 GH3H FCs!
Newest Goal: Get to 150 Total FCs

My Accomplishment thread thread... http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61517

Hard FC list:

GH1-16/47 Recent:Guitar Hero
GH2-48/64...56/74-360 exclusives Recent:Laid to Rest
GH 80's-9/30 Recent:I Don't Know
GH3-62/70 =) Recent:Down 'N Dirty
Total: 135/211 or with 360 exlusives 143/221

Brawl Code: 4511-0730-9815

My Ultimate Hard Goal: 200 FCs

Last edited by Spartan360X on Fri May 23, 2008 2:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Strykerx  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Updated 5/28***

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
No items/souls/equpment

Video List
-Creaking Skull
-Manticore
-Great Armor
-Big Golem

*wipes brow at locked topics*

Normally a playthrough of this game would consist of the player collecting all the souls he can get, looking for new equipment, and abusing the hell out of healing items. None of that nonsense will be present here.

I will be recording all of the bosses I fight throughout the entire game. Now my memory of the game is a bit rusty, but a quick google shows there are 11 bosses present. I'm sure I'll be tearing my hair out right around when I get to Death. If there's any particularly nasty area that isn't a boss, I'll try to record that too.

To recap:
-No items, ever
-No souls, except for ones necessary for game completion
-Starting equipment, this means Knife the entire game (Or fists if I decide to switch)
-No save states

The videos will be hosted on my YouTube account. Specific links will be put in this thread as well.

Note that I seriously doubt any number of people will watch this thread, or watch the videos for that matter. I don't care if you don't care.

Day 1
Started this fiasco. Woo.
Got to Creaking Skull pretty easily.
Owned him. I don't think anyone has ever died to him.
Progressed through the Chapel.
Corridor before Manticore kicked my ass more than the boss itself did. Fucking rock armors.
Manticore down in one try.
Backed up two rooms and saved.

Day 2
Died a few times on the way to the study. Just traveling is harder than the bosses...
Made it, saved.
Died a few more times on the way to Great Armor. I see a pattern here...
Great Armor took two tries.
Grabbed the item, backed up to save.

Day 3 (Of playing, technically like day 9)
Ran to Big golem, no big problems
He handed my ass to me. Leveled up once on Evil Butchers outside.
Took two tries after that.
Got slide.
Saved.

Up Next: Headhunter (fuck)

Note to all of you (no one) that have been watching my vids: Progress will slow down, as I now have my 360 back.

Last edited by Strykerx on Thu May 29, 2008 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Rikuthemaster  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice thread idea.

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon Challenge

Stats as of 5/24, at 1:04 PM

The challenge is to beat the game without the use of DSS Cards, and have a few limitations. What are DSS Cards? Lemme explain it.

DSS Cards can grant you different power ups with different combinations. For example. Mercury and Salamander give you the fire whip, and Jupiter and Manticore give you a poison gas shield. These cards can help tremendously in the later bosses.

So, my challenge is to complete Castlevania: Circle of the Moon without the use of DSS Cards. Anyone that's played this game knows how much of a help these cards can be. I will have a log of my progress below. Adding things as I go along.

I only have a video of Cerberus, but I can't do anymore videos because VBA gets very choppy when I make movies. Screenshots are the best I can do now.

Rules:
Can Collect DSS Cards, but cannot use them.
Must complete the main story line (i.e. Beat the fuck out of Dracula)
I may use save states, however, I cannot use them in the middle of a boss battle.
I may use sub weapons (i.e. knives, holy water, crucifixes, etc.)
May use Items, but cannot over do it (No more than 50 HP Healing in Battles)

Day 1 (5/19)
Started The Game
Advanced to Level 8
Defeated Cerberus (Video)
Double Jump Obtained
Got to Necromancer's Area Save Point (In Audience Room)

END DAY

Day 2 (5/20)
Advanced to Level 9
Realizing Necromancer's battle sucks because I'm used to the GBA, not VBA.
Hardly played at all

END DAY

Day 3 (5/21)
Advanced to Level 12
Defeated Necromancer
Tackle Obtained
Accessed the Machine Tower
Made it to Iron Golem Area

END DAY

Day 4 (5/22)

Advanced to Level 16
Defeated Iron Golem
Wall Jump Obtained
Went into Eternal Corridor, and...Yikes...
I died shortly after. Luckily I saved at a save place not too long before.

END DAY

Day 5 (5/23)

Advanced to Level 17
Yet again, hardly played today.

END DAY

Day 6 (5/24)
Advanced to Level 26
Got to the save point next to Adremalech's room
Beaten Adramelech at Level 23, but dropped down to the lower level of a room after I beat him, and FUCKING GOT KILLED BY A FUCKING WERE WOLF!!!
Defeated Adramelech
Made it to the Underground Gallery
Made it next to Dragon Zombie's Save
Defeated Dragon Zombies. I didn't expect it to beat him this quickly. :|
Made it to Underground Warehouse

END DAY

Day 7 (5/25)
NO PROGRESS!!!

END DAY

Here are a few reasons why I HATE Adramelech

1. He is as huge as FUCK!
2. He has things that can harm you all over the freaking room.
3. He has a shit load of HP.
4. When you defeat him, all you get is a fucking MP BOOST! Why the fuck would I need that in this challenge?! I can't use DSS!!!

Sorry about that. Anyway, I beat him now, so I don't need to worry about him...for now...

Original Thread

Did somebody say [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]?

Last edited by Rikuthemaster on Mon May 26, 2008 4:56 am; edited 13 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: TTParadigm PSN Name: TTParadigm
Romanticide  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been inspired to start my own challenge by all these threads, but I didn't want to add another thread.

My current challenge goes a little something like this:
Game: Lufia II
Challenge: I guess you could call it a low level game. I am not taking it to the extremes of killing all but a character or making enemies spawn weaker enemies, run away, THEN win, though.
Rules:
-Avoid unnecessary fights where possible. Succeeded in all but one instance so far, which was the Big Catfish.
-Capsule Monsters may be used. Doubt they'll have an effect overall anyway because I won't have the resources to feed them.
-Save states are permissible, but not in battle. Not that it would do a bit of good. Main purpose is to avoid the loading screen.
-Can't believe I forgot all about this one. No Ancient Cave equipment. That defeats the whole purpose of a challenge, imo.
Levels: Maxim - 25
Guy - 25
Selan - 24
Artea - 38
Progress: Eserikto

Log:
I decided to make a blog because I have a long-winded writing style. If I didn't write it this way, it would read:
-fought boss
-leveled up
-bought stuff, healed, saved
-went to next boss
Repeat until end. There's no insight into what I've really done for the casual reader.

The link to this entry:
http://romanticide2718.livejournal.com/543.html

Bosses fought/places seen:
Lizardman
Big Catfish
Alunze Castle
Regal Goblin
Camu
Tarantula
Pierre/Danielle
Gades
Cave Bridge
Mummies/Trolls
Gades
Idura
Idura (2)
Idura (3)
Rogue Flower
Soldiers
Northeast Tower
Gargoyles

Rogue Flower - Always easy. Weak to fire, as a flower should be. Guy got the Burn Sword I found in Flower Mountain (gee, how convenient), and Maxim had his old Fire Dagger. I was surprised that the Fire Dagger did ~200 a hit after Selan's initial Trick. This boss fell fast even at low levels. It's strong, though, doing >100 damage per hit to everyone and leaving Guy with 2 HP.

Lexis joined the party after this fight. Not that he'll be staying long or doing much. Only bought him armor (going from 168 defense to 237 is nice) so he doesn't die every three seconds in the boss battles.

North Dungeon/Soldiers: The only room that was any trouble was a room filled with Shadows patrolling narrow walkways. Luckily for me, this room is right near two saves, one before and after. Convenient. I can also freeze their movement with my hook, hammer, or arrow, so I do this to get around them and avoid a completely unnecessary level or two. It took a few tries, but I had great success.
The four soldiers were easier, but they kept targeting Selan with Dash (two hit KO ftl), making restarts necessary. The game really targets a specific position and not a character, so I just moved Selan, gave her some equips to up agility, and all was well.

Northeast Tower: Beyond boring, just advances the story. It wouldn't suck so bad if I ever did more than pick up loot here.

Gargoyles: Took more retries than I would have liked, mainly because there are four. These guys aren't weak to anything I use, but ice seems to work best. Lexis leaves after this fight (that was quick), with no opportunity to take anything from him afterwards, so I took his armor and such so I could sell it. Heartless? I guess. Surprisingly enough, he did not faint and still contributed with his Blizzard/Stronger spells. Ice Valk didn't get used as much as I thought it would here, but Selan had to be the healer since she was the fastest. Managed to get Perish to work once, which was really helpful, and it got easier from there. Just used Blizzard and normal attacks.

Artea joins at this point. He comes with most of the best spells, except for Zap, which costs far too much and does too little in the endgame. Saves me the trouble of buying Champion/Valor, the rest I can live without.

Last edited by Romanticide on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:56 am; edited 11 times in total
DarkKnight720  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll update this later today when I get everything set up, but I'm going to be doing a FFIX Single-Sharacter challenge (hopefully getting video along the way).

Thinking on doing either Vivi (moderatly difficult) or Freya (easy).

Bladed  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Solo Garnet. I tried it once. I got to Silver Dragon IIRC then gave up; wasn't hard just has a lot of tedious grinding.

DarkKnight720  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladed wrote:
Do Solo Garnet. I tried it once. I got to Silver Dragon IIRC then gave up; wasn't hard just has a lot of tedious grinding.

Meh, I would, but I don't have that much time right now. I'm currently trying to manage my time with FFIX, FFIII (DS), and KotOR, all the while trying to get prepared for my exams.

Why'd you quit at about 2 hours left (maximum) in the game?

Bladed  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boredom, plus my disk 4 didn't work at the time anyway.

mninp  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to attempt TOOSGNENNENBB challenge in FFX. I will update this post after every boss battle, or after a particular area.

Final FantasyX TOOSGNENNENBB Challenge

Last edited by mninp on Tue May 27, 2008 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Bladed  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCCs in FFX apart from AONI, YONS and KOOSG aren't all that challenging IMO, even with NENNENBB (hell NBB isn't much of an extra challenge), but whatever.

mninp  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladed wrote:
SCCs in FFX apart from AONI, YONS and KOOSG aren't all that challenging IMO, even with NENNENBB (hell NBB isn't much of an extra challenge), but whatever.

It's challenging for me though, because I'm not even really great at this game. I'm good at this game, but not great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: