ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Un-Official Fix Your Console thread (Check the OP first)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtremecarbon wrote:
time to bump this to page 1 again:

I am starting to notice a few problems with my 360 when I play; I was playing through Unreal Championship 2 on my 360 and I was noticing extremely low framerates; in addition, when I go on the leaderboards for GH3 it will freeze (can access guide button to go to dashboard) but recently in RB2 online play it has frozen my entire xbox will freeze which causes me to have to restart it, but this has only happened twice ever.

Am I on the path to a broken xbox? What can I do to fix this? I also just bought some of that compressed air (dust remover) and sprayed some air into my xbox...thanks man.

It sounds like your video card chip is overheating, the GPU. Either that or one of your ram chips isn't playing nice anymore, which is a possibility because they were dumb enough to mount ram chips on the under side of the motherboard.

I would say, if I were you, to test to see if its a heat problem or not, go get a laptop cooler, with two fans semi close together, that powers off of USB. Put the 360 vertical over the two fan holes, so the 360 gets some intake air. Cool air makes any gamer pc go from mediocre performance to fantastic performance. I know that for a fact with my own machine and its why I have a 120mm fan blowing up from the bottom, directly onto my graphics card.

Give that a go and see if that works. It should. A couple other people had the same issue, did that, and once it got intake air, it ran flawless.
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertman123 wrote:
Halp! I would AIM you but with all the Amanda and eviction bullshit going on... My DS (the launch fatty silver!) wont turn on, even with the charger in and no battery. All I get is the orange power LED flashing for a second and then dead. If I try to use it while the orange LED is on all I get is a *Pop* or 2. I even replaced the battery with no avail.

Sounds like something is definitely broken inside. Pops are no good. Pops are usually either resistors, or bad caps. All stuff like that is all surface mount, micro caps and resistors. I wouldn't bother to fix it honestly.

It sounds like that the plug in for the charger for the ds, broke at some point, and something is shorting it. The damage is done from what it sounds like.

The *only* thing that I Can think of to save it is to open it up and see if the charger solder joints are broke or not. If broke then solder them in. If not, then its not worth to be fixed.
Tahmer  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're back! I got a question, not necessarily looking for a solution, just a reason to why this is happening.

A few days ago I was playing on my xbox360, and the fans started to get really loud. I mean I thought the damn thing was going to explode at one point. I shut it off, felt it, and it wasn't super hot, just like it gets when I normally play it for a few hours. Now everytime I turn the system on, the fans are way louder than normal, even from the get go, before it gets warm even. Is there any reason to this? Did the fans malfunction? It kind of sounds like they are getting old and just running rough, I dunno what the deal is.
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its one of the two following things.

1. Its really dusty inside. REALLY dusty. Take compressed air and blow into that thing.

2. The thermal sensors are going on the 360. Nothing you can really do to fix that.

For an added solution, try getting a laptop cooler that powers off of USB, and stick the 360 vertical directly over the fans.
Tahmer  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell I'm hoping the thing overheats so I can get a free fix. If the thermal sensors are going does that just mean the fans will run really loud always, or that they will just stop working? About how much is a laptop cooler anyway?
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahmer wrote:
Hell I'm hoping the thing overheats so I can get a free fix. If the thermal sensors are going does that just mean the fans will run really loud always, or that they will just stop working? About how much is a laptop cooler anyway?

You can get away with a $20-30 one, just as long as the fans are close together, so you can put your 360 vertical over it.

They will eventually fail that the thing will need to be fixed. For now that means that it's just going to run really loud. But as I said, it could be dust as well.
tab7240  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power adapter of my slim ps2 is messed up. It doesn't make full contact with the thing you plug it into unless i push it down or turn it and make it stay. The red light only comes on this way. Any help would be appreciated.

Squirrel  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tab7240 wrote:
The power adapter of my slim ps2 is messed up. It doesn't make full contact with the thing you plug it into unless i push it down or turn it and make it stay. The red light only comes on this way. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like the power jack is either broke on the console, or on the charger itself. Being its just like a laptop charger, my guess is that its the connector on the inside of the PS2. Unfortunately, the only fix for this is to open it up, and solder the connection back on. The solder joint that the pin solders to the board to make the connection, to charge it, is slightly broke off.

Its best to repair it now before it snaps off completely. If you don't know how to solder, then you can use a rubber band to put pressure onto the pin until it breaks completely, then just get a new ps2.
tab7240  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Soldering is no problem for me, its just been driving me insane to know what was exactly wrong with it. My grandfather soldered it a year ago and it worked fine, i just didn't know where the connection was. Thanks, I was surprised by the quick response. You should start charging for this!

Squirrel  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tab7240 wrote:
Thanks. Soldering is no problem for me, its just been driving me insane to know what was exactly wrong with it. My grandfather soldered it a year ago and it worked fine, i just didn't know where the connection was. Thanks, I was surprised by the quick response. You should start charging for this!

Hehe, nah, I enjoy doing this entirely too much. You're quite welcome!

Tonight I am fixing a NES. I'm thinking about video taping it. Anyone wanna see me upload that? XD

Now THAT is an idea! I can make video tutorials! After my situation is done, I will have a ton of time on my hands. I can start making video tutorials! I got an amazing (but very huge) standard VHS camcorder, that I can use, with a direct connection to my capture card, and I can hook up an external mic for it. So, basically, with some extensions, I can use a standard headset for the great audio.
redanteater  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 360 is having trouble loading discs. Ir will say reading for a second and then it says open tray. It doesn't even try to spin the disc. It does this off and on; the first time was about two months ago, the second time was last monday, and it is doing it again today. It worked perfectly fine yesterday.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: hobbitard PSN Name: redanteater
Desertman123  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
tab7240 wrote:

Hehe, nah, I enjoy doing this entirely too much. You're quite welcome!

Tonight I am fixing a NES. I'm thinking about video taping it. Anyone wanna see me upload that? XD

Now THAT is an idea! I can make video tutorials! After my situation is done, I will have a ton of time on my hands. I can start making video tutorials! I got an amazing (but very huge) standard VHS camcorder, that I can use, with a direct connection to my capture card, and I can hook up an external mic for it. So, basically, with some extensions, I can use a standard headset for the great audio.

Yep, I've seen it from is own little webserver. ITS FUCKING GODLY. The thing is plays full sized VHS tapes. Look at that little Nikon digital camera and multiply that by like 20.
Xbox 360, Halo edition Jasper RGH1.2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Desertman123
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a PS3 blu-ray dead yesterday.

the player accept the cd/dvd/blu-ray without problems, but it dosent load anything. the lens is always off.
i know the problems is the lens, but the price for a KEM-400AAA & KES-400AAA is basicly the same. around 70-75$ a piece, which is fairly high if you check the console price.

anyway, is there somthing else i could try ?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months ago I purchased a Swap Magic to FC Trogdor on an NTSC console. The swap magic CD was only properly read twice, and both times they were quite laggy. I would turn on the PS2 with the Swappy in it (I did the tape and tissue mod properly by the way), and it would immediatly go to the browser screen, and would show a blank CD and it wouldn't be properly read. I heard this could be because of dust on the laser, and so I applied some rubbing alcohol to the laser. I didn't use much, and I didn't do many strokes. I let it dry, tried the PS2 again, and it can't read anything. If it does load a disc and recognize it, the loading takes so long that it takes 20 minutes to get out of the menu screen.

I now owe my brother a new PS2, and I haven't played GH1, 2, or 80's since early march. Is there any way I can fix my laser? This is really annoying me.

Edit: It's a slimline PS2 by the way.

Harmonix games are just too good not to play them for 8 years. Officially back in action.
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redanteater wrote:
My 360 is having trouble loading discs. Ir will say reading for a second and then it says open tray. It doesn't even try to spin the disc. It does this off and on; the first time was about two months ago, the second time was last monday, and it is doing it again today. It worked perfectly fine yesterday.

Try unplugging the 360 power supply from the wall for 5 min, then plugging it back in.

Its just like a PC power supply, if you get a brown out or a black out in power, it will affect the power supply. By unplugging it and plugging it back in, you're resetting it. Give that a shot.

Cabanon wrote:
I got a PS3 blu-ray dead yesterday.

the player accept the cd/dvd/blu-ray without problems, but it dosent load anything. the lens is always off.
i know the problems is the lens, but the price for a KEM-400AAA & KES-400AAA is basicly the same. around 70-75$ a piece, which is fairly high if you check the console price.

anyway, is there somthing else i could try ?

Nope, unfortunately, when a lens dies, a lens dies hard. In the PSX/PS2/Dreamcast/Saturn lasers, you can adjust what is called a potentiometer (nicknamed, a pot), to adjust the voltage to revive the laser. I doubt such a thing exists for the Blu-Ray.

jamesw wrote:
A few months ago I purchased a Swap Magic to FC Trogdor on an NTSC console. The swap magic CD was only properly read twice, and both times they were quite laggy. I would turn on the PS2 with the Swappy in it (I did the tape and tissue mod properly by the way), and it would immediatly go to the browser screen, and would show a blank CD and it wouldn't be properly read. I heard this could be because of dust on the laser, and so I applied some rubbing alcohol to the laser. I didn't use much, and I didn't do many strokes. I let it dry, tried the PS2 again, and it can't read anything. If it does load a disc and recognize it, the loading takes so long that it takes 20 minutes to get out of the menu screen.

I now owe my brother a new PS2, and I haven't played GH1, 2, or 80's since early march. Is there any way I can fix my laser? This is really annoying me.

Edit: It's a slimline PS2 by the way.

Is it just the swap magic that it is not loading? Or is nothing loading?

Unfortunately, the swap magic discs are very delicate. Like, original CD's when they came out in the early 90's delicate. If other games work, then its just the disc went bad. If no game works, then you can follow the guide I posted about adjusting the ps2 laser in the first post of the thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 19 of 39

Jump to: