ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
One-Man Band Rules Change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deimos  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: One-Man Band Rules Change Reply with quote

Figured I should make a post about this, as it may influence some peoples' decision whether to participate in One-Man Band leagues this season.

We've decided to modify the scoring system somewhat for One-Man Band. Previously, participants would submit scores for each of Guitar, Bass, Drums, and Vocals, each instrument was ranked individually, and every instrument contributed equally to the person's overall points total. Many people have brought up the concern that this weights the league towards good guitar players, because "guitar instruments" make up half of the scoring potential every week, while drums and vocals only make up 1/4 each.

After some consideration and discussion, we've made the following change to One-Man Band scoring:

Players will still submit individual scores for all four instruments, and every instrument will be ranked individually, as before. However, the point totals for Guitar and Bass will be averaged, then the average added to points from Vocals and Drums.

This makes it so that scoring potential is now divided into 3 parts, instead of 4: Guitar+Bass / Drums / Vocals. As an example, imagine at the end of a particular round, I have the following points from my individual instruments:

Guitar: 95
Bass: 81
Drums: 72
Vocals: 66

Under the old system, my point total would have been:
95 + 81 + 72 + 66 = 314 (out of a possible 400)

Under the new system, my point total will now be:
((95 + 81) / 2) + 72 + 66 = 226 (out of a possible 300)

We think this will make One-Man Band more competitive for people that "specialize" in drums or vocals. Please leave any comments or opinions about this change.
TheGrudge93  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that got rid of my concerns for that league. Even though I'm not participating in one of those this year, it still bugged me how the scoring system was. Thanks for fixing that Deimos and to the others it may concern.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: TheGrudge93
TSorbera  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea to me (even though I don't play that).
GHTCP (Guitar Hero Three Control Panel) - for all your GH3 PC needs*
*not quite all needs, but for custom songs, custom game images, black background speed boost, and more
Mushy2008  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Thanks for changing this.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Mushy2008 PSN Name: Mushy2008 Wii Friend Code: 4798547854137468 ICQ Number
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment/Suggestion on One-Man Band: why only one song on all four instruments? Why not have one song on vocals, one on guitar/bass, one on drums (still averaging the bass and guitar scores as mentioned)?

Example:

(From my understanding, all songs for all instruments have been split into 4 groups and one from each group is picked on singles leagues. )

Week 1:
Vocals - Group 2 song
Guitar - Group 4 song
Bass - Group 3 song
Drums - Group 1 song

Then week two can have 3/1/4/2, or some other combination. And at the end of four weeks, each instrument will have had one song from each group picked. And during the finals/playoffs, you can have one song on all instruments.

Is it just this way just because it's easier to remember than 4 seperate songs on four instruments?

Or if that's how it's usually done and this is just for the preliminaries, sorry. <_<
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
TheAthleticsCap  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it seems fair at first, I feel that it's slightly unnecessary. Guitar Hero came out a few years ago, and I think that people have had plenty of chance to get good at guitar/bass, so it would be only natural to have the longest-lasting instrument(s) be worth most. If nothing else, it would even out the playing fields.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: TheAthleticsCap
sadied0g  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Drums and Vocals typically had higher points than guitar and bass (hence the higher total score on drum and vocal top scores vs. the guitar and bass top scores) Instead of adding to vox and drums, why not just get ranked for all of them and get points based on your rank rather than your score then add all your points from all 4 ranks together, or does that not make sense... im kinda confused on how this works now

Help anyone?
BigJayDogg3  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAthleticsCap wrote:
Though it seems fair at first, I feel that it's slightly unnecessary. Guitar Hero came out a few years ago, and I think that people have had plenty of chance to get good at guitar/bass, so it would be only natural to have the longest-lasting instrument(s) be worth most. If nothing else, it would even out the playing fields.

Because everybody could play GH1 & 2. I never played either one until well after I played GH3 (got it at the midnight release, so October of '07). As a matter of fact, I played GH1 for the first time last week, and I still haven't gotten the opportunity to get any real playtime with GH2 yet.

Expecting everyone who plays in a League to have picked up a plastic guitar three or four years ago is a little absurd to me.

Also, there are quite a few people (drummers specifically) who never played GH, and when RB/GH:WT came out, they got the game specifically to play the drums. Should we screw them out of the opportunity to have a fair chance at winning?

I'm sure this is going to come off as my being a royal ass, and that's not my intention, but honestly, this is the fairest way [I can think of] this tournament can be run.

Also, can we has some So What? I'd love to see how NS would try to censor it. "I've this, I've that, I've even a school girl's."

If either of the above happens, I will eat the contents of a tea bag and post it on YouTube, quote me. >_>

Last edited by BigJayDogg3 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigJayDogg3  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadied0g wrote:
I thought Drums and Vocals typically had higher points than guitar and bass (hence the higher total score on drum and vocal top scores vs. the guitar and bass top scores) Instead of adding to vox and drums, why not just get ranked for all of them and get points based on your rank rather than your score then add all your points from all 4 ranks together, or does that not make sense... im kinda confused on how this works now

Help anyone?

I would think the reason that wouldn't work is it separates your players too much. In other words, the point gaps between 1st, and say 5th would be much greater than they are now. There is less pressure for people higher up, and more for players that aren't as highly ranked.

The way it works now is, instead of just adding all the scores up and coming out with a number, you average the bass and guitar scores, and add that to the vocals and drum score.

It levels the playing field because say you are and extraordinarly good drummer, decent at vocals, but absolutely suck at guitar. You are competing against someone that is a legend at guitar, slightly below average on vocals, and is hilariously bad at drums. The guitar player will always do better because he has two instruments that use the same skill set. You're basically doubling one of your scores, thereby extending your lead by a remarkable amount.

Get it now?

Also, can we has some So What? I'd love to see how NS would try to censor it. "I've this, I've that, I've even a school girl's."

If either of the above happens, I will eat the contents of a tea bag and post it on YouTube, quote me. >_>
TheAthleticsCap  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJayDogg3 wrote:
Because everybody could play GH1 & 2. I never played either one until well after I played GH3 (got it at the midnight release, so October of '07). As a matter of fact, I played GH1 for the first time last week, and I still haven't gotten the opportunity to get any real playtime with GH2 yet.

Expecting everyone who plays in a League to have picked up a plastic guitar three or four years ago is a little absurd to me.

Also, there are quite a few people (drummers specifically) who never played GH, and when RB/GH:WT came out, they got the game specifically to play the drums. Should we screw them out of the opportunity to have a fair chance at winning?

I'm sure this is going to come off as my being a royal ass, and that's not my intention, but honestly, this is the fairest way [I can think of] this tournament can be run.

This seems like a fair argument; I don't know why you think it's ass-like. I picked up a plastic guitar only a month or two before you, though on a friend's SG and GH2. I don't expect everyone to have started when the game came out, though it was the basis of SH itself.

The angle I'm coming from is the goal of the league: to play all instruments, and to get better through competition amongst peers. This modified system, IMO, is a "One-Man 3/4 Band League". From what I expect, the points attributed to one's guitar score and bass score would be similar, in effect tossing away one of the plastar instruments. If the drummers and vocalists feel not quite up to the guitarists, I believe they should practice more on guitar.

Finally, one last option: Let's just ask violinhero or ES how they think it should be scored. They wont be biased towards what they're best at.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: TheAthleticsCap
on3manband  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there gonna be OMB tryout leagues?
like a team OMB... wait that sounds like a contradiction

Netnabi4  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on3manband wrote:
are there gonna be OMB tryout leagues?
like a team OMB... wait that sounds like a contradiction

Leagues were essentially shut down on scorehero, sorry to be there bearer of bad news, but no leagues will be happening here anytime soon if ever again.

League Hero which was made by codemann8 was up and running a long time ago, so I would suspect it still works. Do a search and I'm sure you can find the link somewhere on scorehero.

Helpful Tip about you sig

The 2 photobucket links you have, to make them show up as pictures just add a / to the second [img]. In other words make it look like this [img]LINKTOPICTURE[/img]
and TADA!

Nazarion  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a fantastic idea and I gotta give kudos to the guy who thought of it whomever that may be. I have never played in a OMB league before (this season is my first) but I did follow the previous seasons and this is definitely an improvement.

The first official announcement for Rock Band 3 will reveal that the game will have a brand new physics engine, which will only be used for breast physics.
xboxpro57  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too concerned, but will there be any application of this scoring system to keys, where a player can key-tar a song? Lumping all three together seems a bit too extreme. I guess leaving Gtr+Bass together and keeping keys separate would be fine.

OttoGabriel  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea. I wouldn't leave the keys behind. It spices up everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: