ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Sonic Discussion Thread (Sonic 4 Episode 2 Gameplay Video!!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metalhead911  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellAshes wrote:
I just played through the demo a few hours ago. I've got a video of my first runs on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrB7kCRmD7w

Here's my review on what I thought of the Demo.

Classic Sonic:

Graphics – The graphics are very gorgeous obviously. The levels of depth and layers through the stage is phenomenal. I can't wait to see the different colors and themes from other stages when the game comes out. It's all green so far. =P In all seriousness though, the depth is a little too much, as some foreground items like trees and bushes tend to get in the way of Sonic, much like it did in Sonic the Hedgehog 4. It's not too much of a problem, as I never lost direction and no death pits were covered up or anything.

Sound – It's classic Green Hill. It's slightly remixed, but not much is changed from it. Nothing else to say here. The sounds are all classic, from the jumping, to rings, to killing enemies. It's all what you heard in Sonic the Hedgehog 1.

Gameplay – It's essentially the classic gameplay from the original game, but you have the spindash so it's more like Sonic 2 actually. The stage is a bit more involved than the original, but somehow managed to have less platforming. It's definitely more speed-based, which isn't a bad thing. I can tell there's a million different ways to go in the stage which I always like in any Sonic stage.

Controls – I'm very impressed with the controls. They play very smoothly and I haven't noticed any jerkiness too them at all. However, one thing it did bring over from the original Sonic game was Sonic's inability to accelerate quickly but at least you have the spindash so there's no worries on that front. There's also a new button that automatically does the spindash for you instead of just tapping A really fast, which to me sort of takes the fun out of doing the spindash, but you can still doing it the old-fashioned way if you want to.

Overall, this is the modern 2D Sonic I wanted to see. It's much better than Sonic 4 from what I've seen so far. The graphics are great, the sound is what I wanted, and the gameplay is very fast.

Modern Sonic:

Graphics – Outstanding. Absolutely outstanding. Since Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Team has done a wonderful job when it comes to the beauty of the graphics in the 3D Sonic games. The slight blur you see around you when you're at top speed gives a very nice feeling of how fast you're going and I didn't see any areas where the frame rate drops. Much like what I said in the Classic review I can't wait to see all the different themes from the other stages.

Music – The orchestrated version of Green Hill is amazing. I'm in love with it to be honest. There's not much else to say about it, since it follows the original song perfectly. I really like the reverb sound the song gets whenever you use Boost Energy. I don't know if it's just me, but Sonic's noises when you use boost energy seem less loud, which in turn makes them less annoying, and music is mostly what you hear thankfully.

Gameplay – As I thought, the Modern Stages take the Sonic Unleashed approach. To gain Boost Energy, you can gather rings again (Which is what Colors lacked) and you can also gain energy by killing enemies and doing combos in midair after certain jumps. (Combos are just pressing the analog stick in different directions.) I saw a bit more platforming than what I saw in Sonic Unleashed, which is nice, and the speed is definitely still there. It's a bit faster than Colors, but more varied than Unleashed. There's no sections filled with the homing attack, and you're not constantly just watching Sonic fly down a straight-away or anything. Have they found the medium that I want to see? Possibly, I'd like to see the rest of the game to find out.

Controls – The controls are fairly decent, as the 3D games have always done them. Due to the speed of things, it's very hard to know what you're doing unless you have the stage memorized essentially and it almost makes the controls feel sluggish when realistically they aren't. They changed the controls up a little bit, and now the homing attack is the A button instead of sharing the X button with Boosting. It sort've screwed me up at first, but it's nothing much. All the moves you had from Sonic Unleashed are back; like the ground pound, and aerial homing attack.

Overall, I'm very impressed with how this game is coming along. The graphics are obviously top notch as Sonic Team continues to be great at it. The music is very well done and props to the person who arranged the piece. The gameplay is reaching for that inbetween that I'm looking for. It's not too focused on speed like Unleashed, but the platforming isn't so heavy like Colors that it feels out of place.

Will you review full game once you play the entire thing?

HellAshes  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
McSkinny  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It got an 8.5 on IGN.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: McSkinny
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the game being out a few days now, has anyone gotten it and played it? I have it pre-ordered but the bastards of UPS haven't delivered it to me yet.

ShadoWolf wrote:

koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
FlannelJacket  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it on Steam. Visually, it's pretty as fuck. Some frame drops, though. At least on Chemical Plant. Apparently it's an issue for everyone. Otherwise, it seems really well-optimized. I've played through the first world so far, and it's lots of fun. I can see the challenges eating a lot of time, too. If Colors broke the Sonic Cycle, I guess Generations shattered it.

Also, THIS FUCKING SOUNDTRACK.

<bjw> :U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard, the music in this game is top notch. The modern remixes are perfect.

ShadoWolf wrote:

koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Sonic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say it as well: THE FUCKING SOUNDTRACK!!

ALSO SO MANY NOSTALGIA BOMBS!!! You will say so many times, "I remember that!"

ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW!!!!!!
Metalhead911  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 8th grade younger brother, who is the self-proclaimed ULTIMATE SONIC FANBOY (even though he has some sense), got it on the first day and he says it is the the best Sonic game since SA2.

He also says that that with time, the game could grow on him to the point where it gets to the award of THE BEST SONIC GAME OF ALL TIME!

I haven't played the game yet, but I have watched him play some levels (Sonic flying through the tall buildings in Crisis City looks kinda like 9/11 to be honest). One thing I like about this game is that it is not afraid to make jokes about certain aspects of the franchise (one example would be Modern Tails being scared of the chemicals in Chemical Plant since if you ever played that level in Sonic 2, you would know why that is kinda funny.).

Sonic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One boss battle in particular:

Quote:
The battle with shadow is fucking great! I played it on hard mode and it kept going back and forth.

MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented this and play the first three levels with both Sonics, did some challenges, and did a rival battle with Mecha Sonic. Having not played Sonic Colors and only demo'd Sonic 4, this is the best Sonic game I've played in years. There's no silly story or bad open world bogging things down, it's all speed for both Sonic and so far the levels are pretty fun and entertaining. If they basically stick with this formula for Sonic in some way, it could be a good few years for Sonic.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only bad thing I hate about Sonic (And this goes for all games really) is that once you start running super fast, you can't really see when an enemy is on the ground, and so you have no time to react, thus losing a shit load of coins without a chance to dodge.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
The only bad thing I hate about Sonic (And this goes for all games really) is that once you start running super fast, you can't really see when an enemy is on the ground, and so you have no time to react, thus losing a shit load of coins without a chance to dodge.

It depends on who you play. Sonic Modern has a boost ability, so you just use that most of the time and you won't get by those that pop out. Same with Sonic Classic, just make sure either be careful or use the spin boost whenever you can. The classic games were always kinda about trial and error, leaning to better playthroughs the more you played, so it's still fairly true now.
Sonic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
The only bad thing I hate about Sonic (And this goes for all games really) is that once you start running super fast, you can't really see when an enemy is on the ground, and so you have no time to react, thus losing a shit load of rings without a chance to dodge.

I had to fix it.

svfd615  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two words SONIC BOOM
FlannelJacket  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man the ends of the crisis city acts is a bag of dicks

<bjw> :U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 42 of 44

Jump to: