Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
How to convert songs from Freetar to Guitar Hero
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: How to convert songs from Freetar to Guitar Hero Reply with quote

***DISCLAIMER***

As I'm sure a lot of you know by now, creating songs (or just taking one of the ones already created) in the Freetar editor and then converting them over to Guitar Hero is incredibly fast and easy. As we have come to notice, most people have decided to just convert a Freetar song and throw it into a "____'s Custom Songs!" thread without spending any time polishing the chart into something that could be considered game quality.

The majority of these 'charts' are out of sync, have un-hittable notes, don't have all 4 difficulties, don't have practice mode event names, don't have star power and don't have co-op.

This has become somewhat of a problem around here, the site is getting flooded with these types of charts, making it difficult to find the good ones.

I implore you to use a Freetar converted song as only a starting point, take what it gives you as a strong base with which you can cultivate a great chart out of time and devotion. Creating quality charts takes a lot of time and effort, if you feel that you don't have the patience that it takes to create a quality chart, please don't dilute the custom song pool with more Freetar conversion shit.

This may seem hypocritical coming from me, seeing how I pioneered the Freetar conversion method, but notice how I have only released one Freetar Conversion. That was the first Conversion made as a proof of concept more than anything really, it was also one of the best charts I could find.

***DISCLAIMER***

[stickying this, cause this question is getting asked too often... -Riz]

It's a pretty involving process to create your own midis for use within Guitar Hero, especially if you don't know how to use a midi editor like Midi Maestro or Anvil Studio. There's a Guitar Hero PC clone out there that most of you have probably heard of called Freetar Hero that features an easy to use editor. There is now a way to take the note charts created in the Freetar editor and convert them into a midi format that can be used by Guitar Hero rather easily.

First of all, you need to create your Freetar .sng file, that's the extension for the note chart. I'm not going to go into any details about how to use the Freetar editor cause you can find out all the info you need over at their forums. Alternatively, you could just use one of the many available .sng files out there, just be sure to get the author's permission first out of courtesy.

Once you have your .sng file, head on over to this address;

http://www.nukular.ch/foftools

that is where you will find the .sng to .midi converter tool. Just click on the "Freetar Hero SNG to Frets on Fire MID converter" link to pull down the utility.

You should see a browse button for each of the four difficulties, it should be simple to guess which Frets on Fire difficulty matches up to which Guitar Hero difficulty. So click the browse button and navigate to the .sng file for your selected difficulty and open it up. If you have multiple difficulties; you can browse to all of those as well and only hit the convert button once.

The more options panel contains things that you can do yourself in the midi editing program.

Hit the convert button and it should ask you to save the midi file to disk. You now have a midi file containing your freetar notes.

The midi file isn't quite ready for use in Guitar Hero, though the notes are in the right place (even if you have all the difficulties in one file), you still need to add all the proper tracks.

The easiest thing to do is to grab one of the Guitar Hero midi files and just swap the notes in there with your notes, also you have to change the End event time to match your notes end.

You also will want to do a little reality check and make sure that the notes duration isn't too long. I failed to do that when I first converted Johnny B Good, every single note in the game was a very short sustain. I went back to the midi file and, sure enough, all of the notes had a duration of 135, which is 15 pulses over what Guitar Hero starts to treat as a sustain. So make sure all of your notes have good durations.

That method is great if you want to just play the song yourself and don't plan on releasing the midi on the internet. If you do want to release the midi on the internet, you'd best make your own Guitar Hero compatible midi file from scratch, that way there isn't anything that was created by Harmonix in the file.

All of the info needed to create your own Guitar Hero compatible midi is in Riffs Midi details thread. You could also open up one of the Guitar Hero midis for reference.

Last edited by ImaCarrot on Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
krusty101  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this. I'll get going and see if can mine to work.
Sephiroth87  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good guide
however, there's a thing that i've noticed, when converting from sng...
sometimes (well, to me, it happened almost always), the song is fine and well synced in the freetar hero editor, but after is converted, many notes are off syncro, and the song is not very playable...
i'm the only one that's getting this?
Yeah, you do need help.

Take a look at my custom songs for GH here
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've only converted two songs and I made sure that I chose two that were really well done. So no; I have not had that problem. The ammount of work needed to fix the song up depends on how well done the song is, and maybe the BPM that the converter assigns it isn't very accurate sometimes.

When I used that method on the two songs I converted, there was very little fixing that needed to be done.

Perhaps your version of the song you had was different from the one the author used in freetar?
ES942  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably a stupid question, where can you find the midis from GH on the disc?
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2549

You can use that program to do it.
Sephiroth87  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImaCarrot1 wrote:
Well I've only converted two songs and I made sure that I chose two that were really well done. So no; I have not had that problem. The ammount of work needed to fix the song up depends on how well done the song is, and maybe the BPM that the converter assigns it isn't very accurate sometimes.

When I used that method on the two songs I converted, there was very little fixing that needed to be done.

Perhaps your version of the song you had was different from the one the author used in freetar?

mhm, dunno, cause the song are different, but in the editor they run fine...
i also thoght about the BPM, in fact a copule of time editing it by hand gave some results...
Yeah, you do need help.

Take a look at my custom songs for GH here
Sottle  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question.

How are HOPOs done? If notes are marked as HOPO in Freetar will they stay that way in game? I assume not, but a couple of songs i'm looking at converting are gonna be murder without it.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
Sargoth  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sottle wrote:
Question.

How are HOPOs done? If notes are marked as HOPO in Freetar will they stay that way in game? I assume not, but a couple of songs i'm looking at converting are gonna be murder without it.

Afaik , notes that are closer togeter than the shortest visible line on the fretboard , can be HOPO`d.

Ive thought this all along , but there is one thing that makes it through this "rule" and thats WHo was in my room last night , there you can HOPO 3 notes that are ON the shortest visible lines ( beats).

I might be way off here tho.
Sottle  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, however it works it does seem that Hammer Ons from Freetar remain in tact, converted Gay Bar and Tribute over from Freetar and they work great, gonna do Overture 1928 next i think. Which means i probably have to figure out putting star power in
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
alvarado6411  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can the event and trigger parts be empty? does it matter what midi i use to import my track. Also, did you buy midi maestro?
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alvarado6411 wrote:
can the event and trigger parts be empty? does it matter what midi i use to import my track. Also, did you buy midi maestro?

Empty as in no notes, yes. The events track needs events though, and I think the triggers track has events in it as well. You don't have to do anything to the triggers track if you don't want to, we haven't quite cracked what note where does what in the game.

If you mean by what midi you use to import, as long as it's a guitar hero midi from the version of the game you want to hack into, then it doesn't matter which one you use.

Yes, I did buy Midi Maestro. I also bought the rights to use Game Extractor back before we had a way to extract the files from the .ark (that one was considerably cheaper though.)
Sargoth  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImaCarrot1 wrote:
Midi Maestro is my favorite one, but like I've said, the trial doesn't allow save. You can do it in Anvil Studio, which is free, but it isn't as easy. I don't know the specifics on how to do it in Anvil since I don't use it.

'
Ive done 4-5 through anvil now ( yes I was whining coz I couldnt even add trippolette last week , guess ive learned fast :P ) , and heres what I do.

COnvert song with the nukular site thingy , open them in anvil , go to file and choose "MERGE SONG" , I usually use cheat on the church ( GH2 version ) , delete the track called PART GUITAR , and rename the track 1 to PART GUITAR afterwards , then I do some double checking of the songs lenght , and check the end event thingy.

2 out of 3 the songs are out of synch tho , so I have to add or remove dead time ( pause symbols) in the start. Once ive done that , they all work like a charm ( but without star notes they are mostly close to impossible to pass:P )
TheTrooper  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the midi only have these tracks, "PART GUITAR" "TRIGGERS" "EVENTS" or does it also have bass, triggers or any of those tracks, if so do they have to have notes?
TheTrooper  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute. Is this for Guitar Hero 1 or 2?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: