ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
In depth Guide for Passing TTFAF

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceHockey  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: In depth Guide for Passing TTFAF Reply with quote

Guide for Passing TTFATF

Table of Contents

1.The Inhuman Achievement
2.Playing the Intro
3.The Beginning
4.The Bridges
5.Surviving the Solos
6.Almost there!
7.You Rock!
8.The End

1. The Inhuman Achievement

Chances are if your reading this guide you've recently beat Lou on expert and are thinking how the hell did i pass raining blood! Now your moving on to the final song in the game, Through the Fire and the Flames Expert. This Song attacks you with an insane amount of HOPO's as well as tons of struming and finger patterns you havent seen yet. This guide is for all the not-iamchris's who want to finally pass this beast.

Now its time to face the truth, you are not ready to play TTFAF if you have just completed expert. At first focus on five starring as many songs as possible (see list below) and Fc-ing some simplier songs to raise your skill level.

Songs to Five Star Checklist
1. Knights of Cyndonia - focus on combo-ing the long strumming parts and build strumming endurance, you will need it!
2. Cult of Personality - Get used to long strings of HOPO's
3. Pride and Joy - Fats Reactions and getting your hands used to different patterns
4. Cliffs of Dover - Lots of HOPO's as well as rythm, this could be tough but good for practice

Songs to FC Checklist
*To raise overall skill level
1.Mississippi Queen
2.Closer
3.Lay Down
4.Talk Dirty to me (im still at -1)
5.Slow Ride

Now while these are not required the practice can only help! play a wide amount of songs until you think your ready for TTFAF, once you are, start reading below.

2. Playing the Intro

The Intro Is one of the Most difficult parts of the song, there are tons of different ways to play it but if our goal is to pass TTFATF all we have to worry about is passing it right? If you want to practice different tapping methods or learn how to tap i suggest starting here: Beginners Guide to Tapping. The way i play this (until i stop being so lazy and learn to tap it) is i anchor G and quickly tap each of the higher notes EXCEPT O while slowly alt strumming. This method can take awhile to learn but different things work for different people, and i also suggest using your chin to hold down G if that works for you. Another common method is to use the two fingers of your strumming hand and play OB. You may use any of these methods but scorehero does not approve of taping down G, it can be anything as long as its part of you.

Important: Once you get through the Intro make sure to hit the slides right after it, this can quickly lower your rock meter even ive you Fc-ed the entire Intro

3. The Beginning

Post Insanity: Now its time to move on to post insanity 1 (it shows up again after the solos). I suggest Anchoring G and watch the highest note and focus on strumming 4 or 2 times (depending because it changes). This part is easy to master and it could be helpful to pick up the SP in the slides in about the middle of this part.

Once you reach the end there is a tricky HOPO squence that you should learn to master, focus on the BO trill at the end, if you hit that ideally you will come out with a Green Rock meter.

For the Next parts ill just refer to certian parts, SAVE ALL STAR POWER FOR BRIDGE ONE, if you cant do this you are not ready to play TTFAF. REMEMBER TO WHAMMY!!!! dont overstrum while whammying though. You dont have to follow this SP path if your skilled enough to play these parts, if you want to focus on a good score and passing you can change up the star path to fit your ability.

Fast Strumming Sections: These parts of the songs have chords thrown in with many fast strumming sections, focus on combo-ing these and hitting as many of the notes as you can without over strumming. Examples of these parts are Cold Winter Morning and So Far Away. These parts of the song shouldn't to difficult and use these to raise your rock meter after the scales and the fills

The Scales and the Fills: These are normally the deaths for beginner TTFAF-ers. If you dont know what im reffering to see the visuals bleow.

The Fills:

These Bad boys show up a few times (Including Sam's Solo) and can be a deathly toll on your rock meter, the method i use is anchor the lowest fret
(in this case green) and quickly trill RY while lifting occasionaly and while slowly alt strumming. This can be tricky and aim too start coming out of these with a Green Rock meter. Coming out in yellow is okay!! use the strumming sections to get back up in green, do not plunge into the red at these parts. Some people have fast enough fingers to play these naturally.

The Scales:

These can be the biggest pains to get used to, they show up alot and if not done right can kill you pretty quick (have you failed at 17%?). This pattern will also show up again in Sams Solo. Alright, this should help you conquer these tricky little scales. I've heard of three methods.

1. Play each scale as it comes (i know im not fast enough)
2. Slide your finger across the freet board as they come (kinda crazy but never practiced it)
3. The Anchor Method (the One i used): To do this you first anchor green with your Index fingerwhen the notes start coming, then play RY RY. Then hold down R (the start of the next Three scales) and play YB YB YB--- slide to O with pinky (which was hitting B) With practice this can help you combo these, and they are not as hard as they look so pick the method that works for you!!

Bridge One: My least favorite part of the song by far. Now by this point you should have collected (and hoepfully saved) SP. do not acivate Star power once the Bridge Starts (If your following my Pass TTFAF SP method), wait for awhile until you get past the OBOB trill part about half way through the birdge, then turn it on for the ending part of the Bridge (The Very Fast clutter of notes). In case you have no idea whats coming at you, for OB trill Trill OB as fast as you can slowly alt strumming, then for the Ending part anchor Red and Play OBY OBY OBY as fast as you can, with star power you should go into Green. Playing this part is challenging for very skilled players.

There is one tricky part in the Bridge you should practice, it looks like this:

This part can kill you alot faster than you think, focus on anchoring the lowest note and trilling the highest one. This part shows up again later and a modified version shows up in Sam's Solo. Some players learn to tap this and a good song to practice this on is monsters (A.k.a. wheely weedly)

So Far Away/Red Dawn: Once you pass the Birdge there is a very valuable SP you should pick up (now you want to start saving SP for the solo's)

The Squence looks like this:

Bear down for this part. There are simliar patterns through out the song and with focus you can hit this. Anchor the Y and alt strum. QUICKLY tap the higher frets as they show up, hitting this section takes alot of pressure off having ot hit other SP's later.

So Far Away is pretty simple and shouldn't require a guide, Whammy to get your star power high and hit the quick chord changes because they are sometimes part of SP squences.

4. The Bridges

Now that you've made it this far (the start of Synth Death) you should be in Y or G (depending how well you played the nasty HOPO's before it) Now its time for synth death which is probably one of the easiest places to fail at.

Synth Death: For means of Passing this song im going to tell you a very desprite method, but a would browse the forums if you want to learn how to play this well for points, but this guide is for passing the song only. Synth Death is pretty much a Trill of RY with some slides of HOPO's. It looks like this:

Playing this can be painful, but the method ill tell you can get you through this nightmare. Some people focus to much on the RY trills and totally bomb the slides. Reverse this and focus on hitting the slides and the trills are very simple. And in order to combo this (which will save your rock meter) Make sure you come all the way up to G on your slides. And dont forget to Whammy the held note before it starts if you need SP (you should get a full meter form this if you picked up other SP's)

Also there is a very painful Trill-fest right after this part is over, you can tap this or i would suggest slowly alt strumming and trilling the notes (go fast!)

Grinding Scales-Solo Fills: These parts are very easy but also very important. Depending how well you did on Synth death you rock meter wont be looking to pretty so i would take this into practice before you play and make sure you can easily x4 combo this, you should be in full Green and have a full meter of SP by the time climatic build up starts!

The only trouble that normally comes from this is when you strum to fast/slow or have bad fingering on the transitions.

Climatic Build Up: Your goal this section should be to come out in Green by the time you hit the Pac Man noises. Once that starts its solo time! This section is pretty much strumming with B gallops. Combo the slides and coming out in Green should be easy.

5. Surving the Solos

Playing these solos is practice, time, and honestly luck. Now here is something you MUST do before you try to beat this beast, take the solos in practice and find out which one you are the weakest at (not counting What the..? and Twin solo). This is the solo you want to use SP. The most common is right away, and then chugging through the rest of the solos. Now if this works for you go for it! But i had to do it differently. I saved SP for sams solo (i suck at it) and playing the rest of hermans II so when i got to What The..? i was in Green (which is your goal). But this required me practicing hermans Solo I and II forever till i could play them pretty well. So whatever works best!

As i mentioned above use SP on your weakest solo. What i did was learn to play Hermans I and by the time i hit red there was an easy strumming section so i could get to yellow, then use SP once Sams started

Hermans I: Lots of Slides! Slides are easy to play once you get used to them, the hardest part are the sections that go YORO, Iamchris4life missed one of these and FCed the rest of the song during one of his runs.

Sams: All the patterns you've already seen, the scales, the fills, even parts from the intro!! (WTF) All thrown into one solo

Hermans II: lots of Strumming, small parts that break combos, arguabley the easiest of the solos

NOTE: if you can get the SP in the solo, use them once the Twin Solo is about the end, but if its to hard (i couldnt) you should be in Green at the start of What The..?

What The..? Now your SP is out, or your still filling it up, this is the real test. What the will most likely take you into Y (dont go to R!) aim for 75-80% notes hit and use whatever method can get you out in at least yellow. The tapping method for this is very complex but possible! there is strumming after to bring you up to Green. Do not get fustrated! What the..? is insane, so focus on hitting as many as you can and creating combos. During what the..? there are scales which are very easy to hit and could save you from failing.

Twin Solo: Probably the hardest part to FC of the solos but still possible to beat. The strumming SP squence (the one were you have G then you move to higher frets) could save you if your in Red, if you picked up a star power and got this one use it when you get to the triplets if not buckle up!

Triplets from hell:

This is the climax of the solos, while FC-ing this part would require extremely fast fingers, you only need to hit 2 out of 3 notes (correct me if im wrong) to stay in green. Play this how you would play the one Solo without star power.

Your not done yet! there are some scales right after this that you can hit that will boost your meter! practice these because they are live savers (use the technique i gave you for hitting the asecending triplets (scales) eariler in the song unless you can hit them on your own).

Now its time for the real test. Hit the RY trill then you will be thrown into this:

I dont know what to call it but we can call it the "Fuck this game" part becuase i cant count the times ive failed on this. In the forums i read a
handy tip that can get you threw this thing. Start trilling the YB fast while slowly alt strumming, then start doing OBY OBY OBY and focus on hitting the higher notes (ignore R and G) DO NOT STOP, YOU WILL SEE THE GYO NOTE OF FREEDOM AND WANT TO STRUM IT!!!!!! I missed this note when i got through this.

Now, when you hit here we stand, you will be in R, or flashing R, or G (if your that good).

6. Amost There!

I Wish i could tell you thats all there is, but theres still 2 more traps - the Snake and You Rock.

Here We Stand: This is easy but you might be flashing red and if thats the case dont miss the notes. Now the part thats coming up is whats decides your fate.

This is a SP squence and if you can hit it then good! but you dont have to, focus in and hit these without over sturmming, because it could kill you.

Red Snake: Playing this = hard, surviving this = not to bad. There are two parts of the snake you need to think about

1. The famous Zig Zag Part: Make sure you combo the R's strumming up to this and make sure you hit the scales right before and and you should be fine. Alt strum the R at a good pace then try to hit the higher notes (tap quickly)

2. The HOPO's aftermath: This is the part that sucks, if you hit the parts before the snake you would have been in Green now about Yellowish maybe Red. So now hit as many of these as you can and be very very calm when your strumming the one note "button" notes after it ive failed by missing those.

7. You Rock

If you've made it here you can one last ride. Play the Post Insanity (rampaging dragons) well so you can be in the Green. There will be a tricky HOPO slides that could lower you but its followed by more post insanity. You will come to the part called almost there, this is not hard but try to build a combo here.

Now listen carefully, ive died here too, before You Rock there are some tricky strum to HOPO's, play these! do not even look at the You Rock ROB thing thats coming at you, you will drop fast if you miss this. You Rock is both easy and hard, the hard part is getting started. Anchor the R and quickly (quickly) tap the O and B. If your in R you can start praying. If your in yellow your almost home. Alt strum the whole thing calmly. Once this ends there is a fairly simple HOPO slide that shouldnt be bad if youve made it this far. When you hear the last O note ring you can dance, sing, or whatever you want to!

8. The End

Hopefully this guide has helped you conquered TTFAF! i wasted about 2 hours of my life making this so hoepfully people use it! im open to questions and suggestions too.

Last edited by IceHockey on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:30 pm; edited 19 times in total
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, criticism first.

1. You should definitely go back to the guide and correct spelling and grammatical errors. I find these these aspects don't matter too much when you're posting a message, but a guide should be free of any such errors in order to increase said guides flow.

2. Note that the song is called "Through The Fire And Flames," and NOT "Through The Fire And The Flames. Thus, the correct abbreviation is "TTFAF," not "TTFATF."

3. This thread may very well get locked, because EVERYTHING related to Through The Fire And Flames goes into The Official Through the Fire and Flames Thread.

Now, for the good stuff:

1. The content is good. I wouldn't call it in-depth, but everything that's in there is solid. You may want to consider covering each section.

2. Your section to the second half of the song in particular is very good, and I like the idea of specified Star Power usage during the main solo, where everyone's personal skills will differ.

I would suggest doing the guide divided by section, mainly. When you're making freticons (which you should, freticons are awesome) be sure to know when patterns repeat. And like I said way earlier, correct the spelling and grammatical errors. With a couple of revisions, this'll be a great guide.
IceHockey  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahah yea im looking for most the errors now, i was kinda rushing but ill fix it up as best as i can.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude this guide sucks. First of all the 'zig zags' are called slides and wtf are putting your goals at the top of the guide. Only noobs do that. All you do is talk about the notes and say "Like OMG this is like so hard to hit so practice up" Question: Did you get an F on you're 2nd grade spelling test because you need to revise this junk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha thanks!! ill make sure to use the proper naming for each part! and if you read my post before this i said i was rushing and i will revise it, this isnt for the most skilled players its for the ones who are still struggling with this song so hopefully it makes sense to them

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuggsIsBugs wrote:
Dude this guide sucks. First of all the 'zig zags' are called slides and wtf are putting your goals at the top of the guide. Only noobs do that. All you do is talk about the notes and say "Like OMG this is like so hard to hit so practice up" Question: Did you get an F on you're 2nd grade spelling test because you need to revise this junk

Hi, you should probably read before you type because he put a list of things that player x would want to accomplish before going at TTFAF. Those are not his goals. Second thing if your going to critique someone's work then do it like nova did in a respectable way not "Dude this guide sucks." When it comes to spelling not everyone is good at it, not to mention when your typing quickly its not hard to misspell something. This could very well be the beginning of a great guide that just needs to be polished.

To the op:

This may get locked but I hope it doesn't because you obviously want to help people and a full fledged guide isn't a bad thing. Hopefully the mods can see that. Clean this up and you've got my respect. Congrats on recently beating the beast btw. I recently beat it aswell.
TJShultz  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuggsIsBugs wrote:

Question: if you're going to attack him for bad spelling, shouldn't you make more of an effort to spell things correctly yourself? It doesn't seem like you have any right to judge someone based on spelling or grammar, because you don't seem to have a firm grasp on either.

Stop being a dickhead.

To the OP: thank you for making an effort to contribute to the site - from here forward though, please keep TTFAF-related discussion in the TTFAF sticky at the top of this forum - you are more than welcome to copy this guide to that thread and update it there. Thanks!

1) You're using numbers in place of words.
2) You're spelling at the second grade level.
3) You're posting in CAPS.
4) This post is in the wrong place, and should have been in Software.

Conclusion: Custom songs are not your "cup of tea", and I'd suggest undertaking a much more simpler hobby. Perhaps tree watching.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: