ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Kids Quits School to play Guitar Hero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NYwRiter94  
 




Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 1340

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doughboy wrote:
This thread seems to be a classic example of people reading the topic title, and posting based on that.

fbimunky wrote:
MisterMcLov1n wrote:
He's a moron. His parents are morons. He needs to go to school, get a college education and LRN2REELJOB.


That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

May not be as funny when you realize some people here, including mods, are pro gamers. They get paid for doing something they really like to do, so making fun of them doesn't make any sense to me.

As far as this kid goes, good luck to him. It's not like he completely quit learning. He's getting tutored. I would assume that means that any academic problems are going to get solved quicker because he's the only one there. It also means there aren't any class clowns to interfere with his learning. He could also go back to high school if need be.

Finally, saying "lol, he can't play, he'll never be good enough" isn't really a safe bet. Call it a hunch, but he seems just a bit determined.

Also, a note on the ban: I'm pretty sure the rules say "no discussion of modding/ modded PS2s, or you get banned" and with good reason.



I have a feeling that the mods here didn't drop out of school to become professional gamers, and probably finished school with plans of doing things other than video games at some point in their life.

Granted, he's still being home-schooled, so there's no problem there, but if the purpose of this change was to provide more GH time, then that is what's sad.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: NYwRiter94
yamo5  
 




Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 1285
Location: Avenel NJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smackdown85146 wrote:
Unless he's witwix or iamchris4life, i don't really care. He's not even on SH (I don't think). He must suck.


You never know, They're are of a lot of people in the world, somebody in the world could be as good as the people on SH and not be on the site itself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Shotkillakilla
NejiHyuuga777  
 




Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he only has 600K on TtFaF... He's not going to make it. That's what I have, and I NEVER practice that song. He's definitely not top 20 in the nation, or on ScoreHero, but I guess if he goes to easier tournaments, he could win. The only problem is, if Chris started entering tournaments, even casually, this guy wouldn't do as well. At least he's getting home schooled, though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message
Doughboy  
 




Joined: 27 May 2007
Posts: 597

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYwRiter94 wrote:



1)I have a feeling that the mods here didn't drop out of school to become professional gamers, and probably finished school with plans of doing things other than video games at some point in their life.

2)Granted, he's still being home-schooled, so there's no problem there, but if the purpose of this change was to provide more GH time, then that is what's sad.


1) Good point, but I was more adressing the "lulz, progamer job = fail thing". We also don't know if he's got a back-up plan. I would assume he does.

2) I don't see why it is sad. You're saying it is sad for him to realize his dream? I'm pretty sure a ton of people here would love to be paid to play GH. There may have also been other factors in the decision, although neither of us would know.

EDIT:
NejiHyuuga777 wrote:
If he only has 600K on TtFaF... He's not going to make it.


TTFAF is not the only song on GH. I don't know why everyone measures skill by TTFAF, it annoys me (mostly because I suck at it XP).
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message
MisterMcLov1n  
 




Joined: 09 Dec 2007
Posts: 1340
Location: Misty Mountains, Ohio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doughboy wrote:
NYwRiter94 wrote:



1)I have a feeling that the mods here didn't drop out of school to become professional gamers, and probably finished school with plans of doing things other than video games at some point in their life.

2)Granted, he's still being home-schooled, so there's no problem there, but if the purpose of this change was to provide more GH time, then that is what's sad.


1) Good point, but I was more adressing the "lulz, progamer job = fail thing". We also don't know if he's got a back-up plan. I would assume he does.

2) I don't see why it is sad. You're saying it is sad for him to realize his dream? I'm pretty sure a ton of people here would love to be paid to play GH. There may have also been other factors in the decision, although neither of us would know.

My dream is to become a professional TV-watcher. I'm totally going to quit going to school and realize my dream.
_________________
You can't fire me! I don't work in this van!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smeddy24  
 




Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Posts: 1778

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterMcLov1n wrote:
Doughboy wrote:
NYwRiter94 wrote:



1)I have a feeling that the mods here didn't drop out of school to become professional gamers, and probably finished school with plans of doing things other than video games at some point in their life.

2)Granted, he's still being home-schooled, so there's no problem there, but if the purpose of this change was to provide more GH time, then that is what's sad.


1) Good point, but I was more adressing the "lulz, progamer job = fail thing". We also don't know if he's got a back-up plan. I would assume he does.

2) I don't see why it is sad. You're saying it is sad for him to realize his dream? I'm pretty sure a ton of people here would love to be paid to play GH. There may have also been other factors in the decision, although neither of us would know.

My dream is to become a professional TV-watcher. I'm totally going to quit going to school and realize my dream.
I really want to sig this, but I just put in that awesome one from EWiggen and it'd look suspicious if we sigged each other, so...props to you.

Everyone has a dream. It's admirable in the abstract to go after it, but I'll be damned if it's an excuse to be an ass.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Wii Friend Code: 0996709048994381
MisterMcLov1n  
 




Joined: 09 Dec 2007
Posts: 1340
Location: Misty Mountains, Ohio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeddy24 wrote:
MisterMcLov1n wrote:
Doughboy wrote:
NYwRiter94 wrote:



1)I have a feeling that the mods here didn't drop out of school to become professional gamers, and probably finished school with plans of doing things other than video games at some point in their life.

2)Granted, he's still being home-schooled, so there's no problem there, but if the purpose of this change was to provide more GH time, then that is what's sad.


1) Good point, but I was more adressing the "lulz, progamer job = fail thing". We also don't know if he's got a back-up plan. I would assume he does.

2) I don't see why it is sad. You're saying it is sad for him to realize his dream? I'm pretty sure a ton of people here would love to be paid to play GH. There may have also been other factors in the decision, although neither of us would know.

My dream is to become a professional TV-watcher. I'm totally going to quit going to school and realize my dream.
I really want to sig this, but I just put in that awesome one from EWiggen and it'd look suspicious if we sigged each other, so...props to you.

Everyone has a dream. It's admirable in the abstract to go after it, but I'll be damned if it's an excuse to be an ass.

Ewiggen's quote is better anyways.

I mean, sometimes people dream to quit the norm and do good things with their life. Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard to start Microsoft, for example.

But then again, if he does have a tutor and his scores (school, not GH) are getting better, then it may be a good thing. But I really hope the well-being of his mind was the reasoning behind this, and not the opprotunity to sit on his ass and play Guitar Hero for a few more hours.
_________________
You can't fire me! I don't work in this van!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doughboy  
 




Joined: 27 May 2007
Posts: 597

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterMcLov1n wrote:

My dream is to become a professional TV-watcher. I'm totally going to quit going to school and realize my dream.


1) This kid still has a tutor. Does nobody read that part?

2) Your dream most likely isn't that, and you are just saying it to prove a point. If that is your dream, go ahead. No skin off my nose.

3) Can you actually get paid for that?

4) Do you have a back up plan if it doesn't work out?

5) Did you think about the decision, and are your parents behind you?

EDIT: Unrelated to the rest of this post, but I just wanted to point it out: He is happier than when he went to school and he's doing better learning-wise.

EDIT2:
MisterMcLov1n wrote:
. But I really hope the well-being of his mind was the reasoning behind this, and not the opprotunity to sit on his ass and play Guitar Hero for a few more hours.

It is very possible that the media inflated the GH part. The media likes to do things like that (anything for a story). He might have been getting bullied in school, or he thought a tutor would be better for him. Like I said before, we will probably never know for sure.


Last edited by Doughboy on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message
NYwRiter94  
 




Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 1340

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that I am speaking based SOLELY off of what was written in the OP. I am not saying that he might have a backup plan, or this was the main reason he dropped out. I'm just saying that, based on the facts present, and ONLY the facts present, it seems like a pretty absurd thing to do.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: NYwRiter94
MisterMcLov1n  
 




Joined: 09 Dec 2007
Posts: 1340
Location: Misty Mountains, Ohio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doughboy wrote:
MisterMcLov1n wrote:

My dream is to become a professional TV-watcher. I'm totally going to quit going to school and realize my dream.


1) This kid still has a tutor. Does nobody read that part?

2) Your dream most likely isn't that, and you are just saying it to prove a point. If that is your dream, go ahead. No skin off my nose.

3) Can you actually get paid for that?

4) Do you have a back up plan if it doesn't work out?

5) Did you think about the decision, and are your parents behind you?

Of course I read that. And no, that's obviously not how I plan on making money. I was trying to prove a point. GH won't be popular forever, it's a fad. Last time I checked nobody gets payed for playing Gitaroo Man mediocre-ly (is that a word?). I haven't seen any vids of him playing, but from what I've read in this thread he's full of shit and not even that good. You don't get paid much for 16th place.

But whatever. Hope it works out for him even though it won't.
_________________
You can't fire me! I don't work in this van!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trexxen  
 




Joined: 09 May 2007
Posts: 116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, read the ENTIRE THREAD before you post, please.

Specifically this post, the second one on page 4:

"I've been to tournaments with him and we talk quite often. Also, you guys shouldnt give him so much shit. this article is wrong. he didn't quit highschool to play guitar hero for a living. he quit school because he was hit by a car and wanted to be home schooled."

This = a perfectly valid and reasonable reason, assuming he walked to/from school. There are a lot of idiots driving cars, and he had a first hand experience with one - now he wants to be homeschooled, and it just so happens that he saw the opportunity to have more time to hone something he's good at.

Instead of calling him an idiot, think of his reasoning - the guy's pretty damned smart to be able to take a traumatic event, turn it around, be able to avoid any future instances of it (while still getting an education), AND to be able to use the extra time he gains through this to go torwards something that earns him money.

Dreminem, my props go out to you.

~Trexxen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address XBL Gamertag: Trexxen
NYwRiter94  
 




Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 1340

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trexxen wrote:
People, read the ENTIRE THREAD before you post, please.

Specifically this post, the second one on page 4:

"I've been to tournaments with him and we talk quite often. Also, you guys shouldnt give him so much shit. this article is wrong. he didn't quit highschool to play guitar hero for a living. he quit school because he was hit by a car and wanted to be home schooled."

This = a perfectly valid and reasonable reason, assuming he walked to/from school. There are a lot of idiots driving cars, and he had a first hand experience with one - now he wants to be homeschooled, and it just so happens that he saw the opportunity to have more time to hone something he's good at.

Instead of calling him an idiot, think of his reasoning - the guy's pretty damned smart to be able to take a traumatic event, turn it around, be able to avoid any future instances of it (while still getting an education), AND to be able to use the extra time he gains through this to go torwards something that earns him money.

Dreminem, my props go out to you.

~Trexxen


Well I saw that post, but the being hit by a car-->being homeschooled didn't make much sense. He could just get driven to school...I mean, it's not like he will be able to do everything at home for the rest of his life and avoid cars altogether.

EDIT: Speaking of that, how will he go to GH tournaments?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: NYwRiter94
Doughboy  
 




Joined: 27 May 2007
Posts: 597

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYwRiter: The OP has the article pretty muched summed up. One very big tidbit he missed:

The article wrote:
They got plenty of grief from family and friends about their decision at first, but they've also watched Blake, who is shy and disliked school, become a happier person.


Now, in the article, it seems like the kid wanted to be out of school to focus on GH, and not to get a tutor. However, he wasn't against getting a tutor. That leads me to believe that there are some subconsious reasons as to why he left school. He may be saying that he did it for GH, but it seems like it could be because he was tired of being disliked at school. Like I keep saying, we won't really ever know, but I just wanted to bring that quote directly into the thread.

If I had just read the title/OP, then I may have agreed with you. I understand why it would seem absurd if you only got that information.
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message
deathleprchaun  
 




Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Posts: 126
Location: Richmond, VA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing no one actually read the actual article? He is being privately tutored, he did not drop out, and his grades have actually improved since he left school. It amazes me that so many people would pass judgment on someone without even bothering to read the article. Oh and to the people that say that being home-schooled limits your options for college, not at all true, i was home-schooled and will be graduating soon with honors. Home school does not set you for failure, being an idiot does.

And my opinion on the kid, if this your dream and you are doing what you love, then by all means go for it. If i was good enough to play professionally, which im not (i suck), i would do it in a heart beat.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Deathleprchaun
phoenix4417  
 




Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 121

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like I have a lot of explaining to do. I am Dreminem AKA the person who "dropped out of school to play Guitar Hero for a living."

Everyone here thinks I have dropped out of high school. I am getting home schooled and am possibly going back to school this coming year and the years to come. If I do actually choose to keep being home schooled then i will still try to get into a college.

I wanted to be home schooled because I wasn't getting anything out of going to a real school. I was never able to pay attention during class because of friends distracting me or I would be asleep. I was almost failing compared to me now having all A's and working harder than ever before to keep it that way. I know a lot of you would say I took the easy way out which is how I have been thinking which is why I may go back to school.

If I am going to keep getting home schooled I will be taking classes at Wake Tech that teach you how to make video games.

I have a back up plan people and no I didn't drop out to play Guitar Hero.

I play many different games because it helps your brain think in a different way in future video games. I am good at all FPS games the second I pick them up because I have played many different kinds of FPS games enough to be good at all of them. The same goes for Rhythm, MMOs, fighting, etc.

I am waiting for a big game to come out that is like Halo, or CS where I can make real money. Top pros in Halo make about $80,000 a year + sponsors + prize money which is $20,000 dollars split 4 ways.

I know that chances are that what I make isn't much, but I will deal with anything I can live off of. It is true that I don't know how much I will end up making but all I want to do is something I love doing as long as I can live off of it. It is a gamble but I don't care about all of the things people put in magazines/tv that the world shoves down your throat as things you have to have. I don't want to work a job I hate to buy stuff I don't need.

Basically, I don't want to work a job that I hate all of my life just so all of you will see me as a success. I am going to be a success in my eyes whether I make it or try as hard as I can and fail. There aren't enough people that could tell me I am a retard or this is the wrong decision to change my mind. I don't want to keep going on and not following this dream and regretting it. I want to at least try and if I don't make it, that is what my back up plan is for.

I know there are plenty of people in forums and such that just like to bash for no reason. All of the people saying "You are a retard and your parents are retards." Thank you for showing points explaining why you think the way you do. I still don't care about your posts because they don't effect me.

They said some things in the article that were completely wrong but that is the way it works. I can't change what they put in there now.

My score on TTFAF is 763k and I know that is really unimpressive. I don't play GH3 much at all anymore because I just play customs and GH2 on my ps2. I could raise my score on TTFAF pretty easily if I sat down and practiced it which I will probably do before regionals come around for WCG.

I play many different games because it helps your brain think in different ways in future video games. I am good at all FPS games the second I pick them up because I have played many different kinds of FPS games enough to be good at all of them. The same goes for Rhythm games, fighting games, MMOs, etc.

I am glad to see so many members of scorehero rooting for me to fail. It makes being banned from this community not as bad as it could have been. There used to be good things being posted on scorehero a long time ago, but it has really changed. I am glad to see that it isn't that bad being able to come here only once every few days on my friends old account.

EDIT: Someone told me tonight that I am being a bad influence on kids who see this article and who will want to do the same thing as me. Honestly, that is their decision. Kids usually do go after something that sounds fun or exiting and I don't want them to walk into this blindly. Hopefully they or their parents will do enough research so the kid knows everything he is doing and hopefully his parents force him to stay in school until he is a decent age.

I may not be a decent age in most people's eyes. I honestly can't say if I am or not because I don't have the experience. I believe I am but I am old enough but I am not going to talk like I know everything because I know that I don't.

I did a ton of research on this though and found out how determined I really had to be to pull this off. I did my homework on the subject and put some real thought into this. I didn't walk blindly into it thinking it would just be a fun career to make money just by playing video games.

People calling my parents retarded probably don't know what they are talking about. Unless you are parents yourself how can you even begin to talk about how parenting should be done. I don't know, I can't really talk on this subject much since I don't know anything about parenting but I hate people criticizing my parents for a decision I made. Trust me, my parents made me make sure this is what I wanted to do in life.

I never planned on being a professional gamer my whole life anyway.

TL;DR version

I didn't drop out of school for people who can't read, I am home schooled. I have a backup plan. I didn't "drop out" for guitar hero, I had other reasons. I am playing all different types of games waiting for a new game to come out to become pro in. I am good at all the games I play but not the best. I will be one of the best in the game I decide to go pro in.

Stop criticizing my parents, they didn't decide for me. I did a ton of research and found out how determined I had to be. Hopefully kids don't follow blindly into this career just because they think it will be fun or easy to make money by playing video games.

I suggest reading the whole thing if you are going to post something about this. Don't just read the TL;DR version and think you know what I meant completely by it. This is just for the people who want to know the basic idea behind my decision, not for the ones criticizing it.

EDIT: My whole IP was banned so that is why I can only get on once every few days.

By the way, thank you for all the people that know me in real life for defending me ; ).


Last edited by phoenix4417 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:53 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Copyright © 2006-2017 ScoreHero, LLC
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy


Powered by phpBB