ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Guide to What Is and Isnt viewed as cheating.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Netnabi4  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotgunmerc wrote:
unholyftw wrote:
switching from controller/guitar/and vice versa during a song is cheating
ie. use a controller for ttfaf intro and switch to guitar...

im pretty sure this actually isnt considered cheating

JizzleWright wrote:
Is looking in a mirror while on lefty flip considered cheating? I know it is for the leagues but whether it is for uploading scores…

For leagues yes but for submitting scores no

n-strike wrote:
Pausing in the middle of the song just because you're tired is cheating. Man up.

This will probably be debated but im going to disagree partly because i do this to wipe my fingers. since you aren't changing the input of the game at all, this isnt really cheating. yes, its giving you help, but so does hyperspeed.

DoubleDs wrote:
You say that having someone else hold the button is cheating.

What if your playing coop and your partner held down a button for you? Like in the intro to ttfaf.

thats cheating.

Switching controllers IS considered cheating.

Pausing while this is no legit ruling on it I would say is cheating. You could easily wipe you hand during a sustain. Thats what I do. Pausing is stopping gameplay, IE aiding you in rebuilding some of the endurance you lost by playing. So take TWiE's as an example. Lets say I play the first few sets of the songs burst strums and then the sustains happen so I pause because I wont lose so many points. Well Your rebuilding stamina and you wouldn't be allowed to do that in live play. Hyperspeed as stated by Neversoft is a preference by the player. It's like wearing glasses, you shouldn't get penalized for that.

EDIT: NO ruling on a hyperspeed towel? I always wondered what if it is cheating or not.
Shotgunmerc  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the hyperspeed towel is not considered cheating, ill have to put that in.

last thread i saw on switching controllers i think the general ruling was that it was legit.

a funny video of me choking on Monkey Wrench will go here once i get my GH2 log
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Shotgunmerc
JCirri  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northtxhurricane wrote:
Maybe I should play GH3 naked and strum with my ass, lefty flip and looking into a mirror.
STANDSwitTREES wrote:
wow i dont know what to say to this guide man you should have better things to do and everyone should know all this already

Please think if your post contributes to the topic before pressing Submit. Posts like the above only serve to add unnecessary chains of clutter to the thread.

devinring wrote:
Well this settles the thread earlier about adding extra hyperspeed to GH2 - no one could confirm if it was legal or not. Glad it isn't.

Also, don't take a user-written guide as indisputed confirmation of our SH cheating policies unless a staff member is referenced for it. However, I will say the list, so far, is generally accurate as to what we expect here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotgunmerc wrote:
i think the hyperspeed towel is not considered cheating, ill have to put that in.

last thread i saw on switching controllers i think the general ruling was that it was legit.

I just had an Idea. Why not add a section the the original post where you can put all the things we are unsure of and then people can clarify.

BTW you comment on those 2 things but not pausing. I would like to know your stance after my comment and if it changed you opinion at all.
rohrk21  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh. Let's see here.

Shotgunmerc wrote:
What is considered cheating
Pro Face Off Mode. Scores that you get from PFO are considered illegitimate because you dont have to save SP for parts you would have failed otherwise. you must prove you can pass the whole song without SP before you can submit a PFO score.

I wouldn't necessarily call PFO scores "cheating", then--it's worth noting that you cannot enter scores from PFO if you can't pass the song without SP anyways, but since that's it I'm not sure if it should really be called cheating.

Eastwinn wrote:
muna wrote:
And is taping some pennies down over the back button on the xplorer to make the back button easer to hit legal?

No. It's the same deal as sock/penny modding over on the RB side. It's the hardware's fault that you have to alter things.

To clear up confusion with this post, yes, it is legal. I guess he meant "no, it's not illegal".

unholyftw wrote:
switching from controller/guitar/and vice versa during a song is cheating

Pretty sure that's not true. Nor is it cheating to switch guitars at any point in the song, the way that some people in Rock Band switch to the Strat for ig Rock Endings. It's shady and kinda cheap, but it isn't cheating.

And for whoever asked, I don't think pausing is cheating but I could be wrong. Official word from the staff would be nice.

edit: LOL NINJA'D BY JCIRRI (and 2 other people <_<)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netnabi4 wrote:
I just had an Idea. Why not add a section the the original post where you can put all the things we are unsure of and then people can clarify.
That makes a lot of sense, that's where we can put pausing and switching controllers for now.

I remember quite a while ago there was a topic about playing one part of a song (I think it was Ziggy Stardust, but I'm not sure) and then switching back to a guitar. I didn't really follow that thread, so I don't know the official ruling, but I'm going to go look for it right now.

EDIT: Okay I checked the thread and this is the official ruling:
Jcirri wrote:
As most have said here, should others know that you've used two separate controllers with pausing to obtain the FC, it's not going to be respected as much as a pure uninterrupted FC.

However, the game was designed to play with both controller types, so we don't consider this cheating on SH. It's really not any different than those that switch out the LP for the strat in RB for solos/big-rock-endings.

I think a lot of people also agree with this:
f4phantom2500 wrote:
i personally would look down upon it, i think you should put more time into learning to do it proper, since it'd help your overall ability anyway.

that being said, it's not like tapping, it's more like when people put a rubber band on the green for the ttfaf intro, as far as respectability goes.

however, it's still just you playing, so i don't see why it wouldn't be legit. although i personally wouldn't do something like that.
I totally agree with this, if you switch controllers, It's legal as far as submitting your score goes, but it is frowned upon in the community

On pausing in the middle of the songs, I believe that pausing isn't legal because during a real concert, you wouldn't be able to stop in the middle of a song. HOWEVER, the pause button is part of the design, and how some people may play.

Last edited by ShadowDude27 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
Shotgunmerc  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ill put a section in for things we aren't sure about.

i got approval from Jcirri yay

EDIT: I nearly sigged this, im still debating:

iSlak wrote:
STANDSwitTREES wrote:
wow i dont know what to say to this guide man you should have better things to do and everyone should know all this already

But they don't.

Or they do, but decide to post thread after thread after thread that shout "Hey, we know about the cute little stickies at the top of the page, but we'll ignore them and procede with the delicate process of making ass holes of ourselves!"

Netnabi4 wrote:
Shotgunmerc wrote:

BTW you comment on those 2 things but not pausing. I would like to know your stance after my comment and if it changed you opinion at all.

i put pausing in the "we aren't sure" category. thats open for debate, my opinion is that it is legal

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Shotgunmerc
Shotgunmerc  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im assuming that custom songs fall under the category of hacking right? so technically if you made a custom game but put an old song on (ie putting Cochise in GH3) would be illegal correct?

ShadowDude27  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotgunmerc wrote:
im assuming that custom songs fall under the category of hacking right? so technically if you made a custom game but put an old song on (ie putting Cochise in GH3) would be illegal correct?
Yes for multiple reasons, not only from the hacking element, but it would also be illegal because GH3's timing window is wider, therefore it affects the note that you would hit. Just as an example, people hack Jordan into GH3 all the time, and they say that they can pass it every time in GH3 even if they only pass it 50-50 in GH2.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticky!
SolidGolds  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say pausing always gives you an advantage. If you're using it rest or wipe your hands - then yes. But for me the only time the game gets paused mid-song is when my hand pushes start by accident, and in this case it's a big disadvantage.
cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think hitting start mid song is cheating, if it was, JLC's TTFAF Hard FC would be cheating.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
ShadowDude27  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SolidGolds wrote:
I wouldn't say pausing always gives you an advantage. If you're using it rest or wipe your hands - then yes. But for me the only time the game gets paused mid-song is when my hand pushes start by accident, and in this case it's a big disadvantage.
It still affects how you play, so it is therefore considered cheating, even if it hurts your performance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue that I don't think has been brought up for the pausing debate is as follows: Sometimes, I'll pause in the middle of a song if I forget the rest of the path and I just want to reassure myself. It has nothing to do with wiping your hands or any of that (which I have mixed feelings on too, but can see why it might be "cheating"), but what do people say to pausing for looking up paths? It's fixing a bad memory--not making you hit notes any better.
iSlak  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobainage1994 wrote:
I do not think hitting start mid song is cheating, if it was, JLC's TTFAF Hard FC would be cheating.

But he was pausing to take a drink of Sprite.

In some cases, it might not be the same as if he paused to wipe his hands, or wipe sweat from his eyes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 3 of 27

Jump to: