ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Ultimate Bonus Songs Guide (Updated Frequently)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much content to add for Guitar Hero II in general (I don't own the game myself), but I have a different method for Trogdor that's incredible easy for me, something I developed over two years ago. Basically, I stay in first position and use a 3-4 fingering for yellow/orange chords, and only go into second position for blue/orange chords. In my opinion, it's much easier than sliding or switching fingers. You don't even need to shift for the choruses after the intro chorus!

I can probably add some stuff to Guitar Hero 3 when it's finished. God job, by the way.

EDIT: Concerning Jordan: The speed of Solo B/Solo C is actually 15.46 NPS, or about 15.5 notes-per-second. You said they were 14 NPS. You don't want to be a liar, do you???

For the record, the formula for deriving NPS is as follows:

If N = number of (evenly spaced) notes in one beat of a measure and BPM = speed of a tempo measured by number of beats occurring in one minute:

Code:
NPS = N(BPM)/60

A guide about it can be found here.

EDIT ENCORE: to the guy below me: isn't this just a guide for bonus songs only?

Last edited by NovaXD on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabbed browsing sucks sometimes, like when you mean to make a guide but end up reading the wrong guide to writing guides and post in the wrong tab.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku

Last edited by this1neguy on Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total
snowyporpoise  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lolwut, the metal isnt a bonus song
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH WOW.
I was supposed to hit new topic >_>
Not "post reply"

OWAIT

I did

DAMN YOU TABBED BROWSING
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
Unimportant196  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-magnum- wrote:
........Raw Dog
....Pass Difficulty: 4/10
.... Difficulty: 6/10
....FC Difficulty: 7/10
....Note Chart: [here]
....Star Power:[here]
....Difficult Sections:
........-- Measures 2-3, 96, 115-118
............2-3: Start in first position. This song starts pretty fast with a quick count in, so be prepared. Use 1-3 fingering for the chords, and for the three-fret BYR sweeps, use 3-2-1 fingering. 96: BOBY. Use 2321 fingering here. 115-118: Strum all the notes in mesaure 115 & 116. For the trills in measure 117, strum the first note of each respective trill and hammer the other notes on. The same goes for the trill in measure 118.
....Song Comments: This song ranks somewhere in the middle for difficulty. The solo can be a pain to hit, but if you practice enough at it, it will become less trouble. Some people have trouble with the chords in this song. The solution is practice.
....Other Helpful Guides: None.

Error detected

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added 'Closer'.

[X] Top 100 in a song (Soothsayer - #32)
..... (Exo Politics - #99)

The Ultimate Bonus Songs Guide
Anatomizing The Cliffs Of Dover - 5* & FC Guide
Beast And The Harlot - Expert - 5* Guide
Stricken Guide v.1.1
-Magnum-  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the amount of Minus Celsius threads that pop up every day, I wrote a guide for it!

Stricken Guide v.1.1
-Magnum-  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First update in a while!

Added a 'Don't Hold Back' guide.

Stricken Guide v.1.1
GHAddict  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, dude. This is really, really good.

I do have a couple suggestions: Space out the paragraphs more.

-Magnum- wrote:
3-4: Okay, this is a very fast and cluttered combination of chords and single notes. If you're not careful, you will fail here, so pay attention . First of all, unless you are an extremely, and I mean, extremely, fast downstrummer, you will have to alternate strum first green notes after the GY chord, which I play with 1-3 fingering. Start in first position and hit the hit the aforementioned GY chord, then alternate strum the string of green notes, then use 12 fingering for the GR chord. Now, here's where it gets very difficult. You have to go from the GY chord to an RY chord, and then a YB chord. You can either use 12, 12, 23 fingering; 12, 23, 34 fingering; or 12, 12, 12 fingering. See which one works best for you. Then you have to go from the YB chord back to a GR chord, and then to an RB chord. Use 12 fingering on the GR chord and then 1-3 fingering on the RB chord. You can also try 2-4 fingering on it if you want. Then, in measure 4, you have to move up the red fret, and play this from second position. I alternate strum the red notes and then use 1-2, 2-3, 1-2, 3-4 fingering. You can also try 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 2-3 or 1-2, 2-3, 1-2, 2-3 fingering, however. 5-6: If you're trying to 5-star this song, it is almost essential to get this star power. I downstrum all of it, but some people alternate strum it as well. I find it easiest to use 1-3-4, 1-3-4, 1-3-4, 1-3-4, 1-3-4, 3 fingering. I find that I often miss that last yellow note, probably because I try to go for the next chord shape to early. If you have to miss the next chord to hit the yellow note, then do it- hitting the yellow note is more important. 11-25: This part will help immensly towards a five-star, and, obviously, a 100%. You can try counting in your head 1-2-3-4 for every group of notes hit, since they are all groups of four. I play this from first position, sliding my index finger up for the red notes and playing from second position there. Again, this pretty much has to be alt. strummed. Remember to not overstrum (strum too fast), or understrum (strum too slowly). You can also try using your wrist or your whole arm while strumming- just find what works best for you. 26-28: The descending scales in measure 26 contain a star power phrase that is very helpful. They must strummed, and I downstrum them. I use 4-3-2-1, 3-2-1, 12 fingering. Remember to hit the chord at the end, because that is part of the star power phrase too. Then comes the infamous verse riff. I play this from first position, alternate strumming the green notes in between the chords. However, if you are fast enough, you can downstrum them too. For that little B-RY-O thing, I use 3-12-4 fingering, downstrumming it all. Alternate strumming that may also help keep your rhythm, however. 43-44: This riff is essential to a 5-star. You can either stay in first position entirely, or you can hop. Staying in first position entirely means going: 43-32-43 for the YB-RY-YB chords, and then playing everything else from first position. Hopping means you hop using 32-12-32 fingering for the YB-RY-YB chords, while playing everything else from first position. Again, see which method works best for you. 59-60: You have to strum this whole thing- they are not hammer-ons! I made this mistake a lot when I first started playing this song. Personally, I anchor the green note and downstrum everything from first position. You can also not anchor the green note, however. Before the Y-Y-Y-B at the end, remember that it ends on a green note- don't remove your index finger to early. 83: I use the hammer-ons here, sliding my index finger up for the red note from the green note (you only have to slide like that once, though). Remember to strum the second yellow when there are two right after each other. You can also try hopping and downstrumming the whole thing, though. 91-92: This part is pretty confusing at first. It stars out easy- just play measure 91 from first position, downstrumming everything (or, if you want, alternate strumming). Then comes the slightly confusing part. Remember to strum the second note if there are two notes of the same colour after one another- everything else is hammer-on-able. I start in second position and then slide my index finger down to the green fret for the green note at the end. You can also strum through this, if you want. 94: The fast chord change is what's important in this measure- the RY to YB. You can either alternate strum or downstrum it. I use 1-2, 2-3 fingering. Remember to move your fingers as you're strumming- moving your fingers to slowly is a mistake. 98: Unlike measure 59, this is actually hammer-on-able, so I suggest you use them. This is similar to a lot of the riffs in Thunderhorse. I anchor the green and hit the rest using my pinky finger for the blue and orange notes, my ring finger for the yellow notes, and my middle finger for the red notes. 100: The B-Y-B's are hammer-on-able, as is the Y-B-G-R in between/after the GR chords. However, the yellow hold note at the end of this measure must be strummed. I like to hop here, but you can also play this from solely first position, alternate or downstrumming. 103-105: You have to do a lot of jumping around here. In measure 103, strum the first and last yellow notes. I play this from first position, using 4-4-4 fingering on the B-O-B trill (sliding my pinky finger). Then, in measure 104, strum the first note, and play the first first two descending scales from first position. Then play the rest from second position, but strum the last green hold note. Then comes measure 105. You can play this from entirely first position, or you can slide your index finger up to hit the red notes.

That's really solid information, but... it's a wall of text. How about you conveniently space it out?

-Magnum- wrote:
3-4: Okay, this is a very fast and cluttered combination of chords and single notes. If you're not careful, you will fail here, so pay attention . First of all, unless you are an extremely, and I mean, extremely, fast downstrummer, you will have to alternate strum first green notes after the GY chord, which I play with 1-3 fingering. Start in first position and hit the hit the aforementioned GY chord, then alternate strum the string of green notes, then use 12 fingering for the GR chord. Now, here's where it gets very difficult. You have to go from the GY chord to an RY chord, and then a YB chord. You can either use 12, 12, 23 fingering; 12, 23, 34 fingering; or 12, 12, 12 fingering. See which one works best for you. Then you have to go from the YB chord back to a GR chord, and then to an RB chord. Use 12 fingering on the GR chord and then 1-3 fingering on the RB chord. You can also try 2-4 fingering on it if you want. Then, in measure 4, you have to move up the red fret, and play this from second position. I alternate strum the red notes and then use 1-2, 2-3, 1-2, 3-4 fingering. You can also try 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 2-3 or 1-2, 2-3, 1-2, 2-3 fingering, however.

5-6: If you're trying to 5-star this song, it is almost essential to get this star power. I downstrum all of it, but some people alternate strum it as well. I find it easiest to use 1-3-4, 1-3-4, 1-3-4, 1-3-4, 1-3-4, 3 fingering. I find that I often miss that last yellow note, probably because I try to go for the next chord shape to early. If you have to miss the next chord to hit the yellow note, then do it- hitting the yellow note is more important.

11-25: This part will help immensly towards a five-star, and, obviously, a 100%. You can try counting in your head 1-2-3-4 for every group of notes hit, since they are all groups of four. I play this from first position, sliding my index finger up for the red notes and playing from second position there. Again, this pretty much has to be alt. strummed. Remember to not overstrum (strum too fast), or understrum (strum too slowly). You can also try using your wrist or your whole arm while strumming- just find what works best for you.

26-28: The descending scales in measure 26 contain a star power phrase that is very helpful. They must strummed, and I downstrum them. I use 4-3-2-1, 3-2-1, 12 fingering. Remember to hit the chord at the end, because that is part of the star power phrase too. Then comes the infamous verse riff. I play this from first position, alternate strumming the green notes in between the chords. However, if you are fast enough, you can downstrum them too. For that little B-RY-O thing, I use 3-12-4 fingering, downstrumming it all. Alternate strumming that may also help keep your rhythm, however.

43-44: This riff is essential to a 5-star. You can either stay in first position entirely, or you can hop. Staying in first position entirely means going: 43-32-43 for the YB-RY-YB chords, and then playing everything else from first position. Hopping means you hop using 32-12-32 fingering for the YB-RY-YB chords, while playing everything else from first position. Again, see which method works best for you.

59-60: You have to strum this whole thing- they are not hammer-ons! I made this mistake a lot when I first started playing this song. Personally, I anchor the green note and downstrum everything from first position. You can also not anchor the green note, however. Before the Y-Y-Y-B at the end, remember that it ends on a green note- don't remove your index finger to early.

83: I use the hammer-ons here, sliding my index finger up for the red note from the green note (you only have to slide like that once, though). Remember to strum the second yellow when there are two right after each other. You can also try hopping and downstrumming the whole thing, though.

91-92: This part is pretty confusing at first. It stars out easy- just play measure 91 from first position, downstrumming everything (or, if you want, alternate strumming). Then comes the slightly confusing part. Remember to strum the second note if there are two notes of the same colour after one another- everything else is hammer-on-able. I start in second position and then slide my index finger down to the green fret for the green note at the end. You can also strum through this, if you want.

94: The fast chord change is what's important in this measure- the RY to YB. You can either alternate strum or downstrum it. I use 1-2, 2-3 fingering. Remember to move your fingers as you're strumming- moving your fingers to slowly is a mistake.

98: Unlike measure 59, this is actually hammer-on-able, so I suggest you use them. This is similar to a lot of the riffs in Thunderhorse. I anchor the green and hit the rest using my pinky finger for the blue and orange notes, my ring finger for the yellow notes, and my middle finger for the red notes.

100: The B-Y-B's are hammer-on-able, as is the Y-B-G-R in between/after the GR chords. However, the yellow hold note at the end of this measure must be strummed. I like to hop here, but you can also play this from solely first position, alternate or downstrumming. 103-105: You have to do a lot of jumping around here. In measure 103, strum the first and last yellow notes. I play this from first position, using 4-4-4 fingering on the B-O-B trill (sliding my pinky finger). Then, in measure 104, strum the first note, and play the first first two descending scales from first position. Then play the rest from second position, but strum the last green hold note. Then comes measure 105. You can play this from entirely first position, or you can slide your index finger up to hit the red notes.

If it's a lot of text, then it's simply a lot of text, it can't be helped, but IMO it's better spaced out than not.

If you do decide to take my advice then perhaps you'd like to consider having dividers between sections? i.e.

example wrote:

Raw Dog
Pass Difficulty: __/10
Difficulty: __/10
FC Difficulty: __/10
Note Chart: [link]
Difficult Sections: [info]
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Arterial Black
Pass Difficulty: __/10
Difficulty: __/10
FC Difficulty: __/10
Note Chart: [link]
Difficult Sections: [info]

It would make it easier to tell the songs apart, methinks. The only other thing I'd like to suggest is that you use graphics! Get someone to get cool/colorful images to depict your difficulties. Some examples:

RBDLC style:

Stars:

Rock Band Content style:

Bar:

Moar Starz:

Be creative! Visuals are very important in a guide. Other than my little nitpicks, your guides are amazing. Keep up the good work!!

[Customs] - Click here if you like awesomeness

Goal: FC 75% of ALL on-disc Guitar Hero songs (Band Hero doesn't count) - (430 / 575)
Current: 368 / 575 - (64%)
-Magnum-  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHAddict wrote:
Wow, dude. This is really, really good.

etc. etc.

Be creative! Visuals are very important in a guide. Other than my little nitpicks, your guides are amazing. Keep up the good work!!

Thanks for the compliments! Once I finish writing all the guides I will add more visual stuff, i.e. the pictures and other things. Thanks for the feedback though!

Stricken Guide v.1.1
laupow17  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I love this guide. It's extremely thorough and well-organized.

I have to ask about something though, about the recommended order to go for FCs in GH2.

7. Elephant Bones
8. X-Stream
9. Collide
10. Laughtrack
11. One For The Road
12. The New Black

http://wiki.scorehero.com/FCStatistics?game=gh2

Is Collide (#27 on the statistics list) or even Elephant Bones (#21) really easier than Laughtrack (#12)? Is The New Black (#24 on the list) harder than One For The Road (#52)? I know the middle songs are always the hardest to place, but if you're looking for a good place to start, the FC statistics are a good way to get a general recommended order list... (Don't follow it completely, though; you should be using a lot of discretion! It's your list!)

EDIT: Oops, I just saw that somebody pointed out the same thing about the same songs on an earlier page. I didn't mean to be a repeat complainer. Sorry about that!
FC 40 Expert GH3X songs [X] #40, Monsters
FC 50 Expert GH3X songs [ ] 49, Pride And Joy
FC 20 GH1X Songs [X] #20, Sharp Dressed Man
FC 25 GH1X Songs [ ] 23, The Breaking Wheel
My Accomplishment Thread
^^Please, please tell me what you think I should go for next! =)

-Magnum-  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laupow17 wrote:
First of all, I love this guide. It's extremely thorough and well-organized.

etc.

EDIT: Oops, I just saw that somebody pointed out the same thing about the same songs on an earlier page. I didn't mean to be a repeat complainer. Sorry about that!

Thanks! And don't worry about it, I changed them slightly after reading your post.

Anyway, I added a 'Can't Be Saved' guide, edited the Guitar Hero II FC list slightly (as mentioned above), and added two more users to the awesome users list.

Stricken Guide v.1.1
iranawayfromyou  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing. ill be using this when i go for gh2 FCs again.
-Magnum-  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iranawayfromyou wrote:
amazing. ill be using this when i go for gh2 FCs again.

Thanks! I really appreciate that.

Stricken Guide v.1.1
-Magnum-  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added 'Metal Heavy Lady'; oh yeah, and I changed the thread name slightly.

Stricken Guide v.1.1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: