Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Program to calculate SP paths?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmriggs  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Program to calculate SP paths? Reply with quote

A question for JCirri and any other programmer types out there...

Has anyone tried making a program to calculate the optimal Star Power paths yet? I see people manually figuring out the best strategies for the songs, and it all seems a little redundant to me. Surely someone has to have tried this by now... what are the major roadblocks preventing something like this from being done? I could take a shot at it if no one else wants to.
krimsunmunkeys  

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri is already working on it, but I don't know how far he is or what problems he's encountered.
Echelar  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri and I are close to getting ours to work. We have it parsing the song data almost perfectly (some holds are off by 1 point, we're trying to figure it out)... and have structures set up to represent a SP path.

The biggest roadblocks will be the variable amount of SP you can have by whammying notes, and coding around the fact that you can squeeze or delay notes.
gmriggs  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent... I will look forward to the release Mr. Green
MLafer  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already have an SP optimization program, it's called "Echelar"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLafer wrote:
We already have an SP optimization program, it's called "Echelar"

hah! Well, one of my goals is to get all 49 firsts on medium.

I just need a firmware upgrade to figure out how to get a few of them, that's all.
Riff  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your formula for calcuating hold points? It should be "uint32 sustainPointsAwarded = (((25.0 * duration)/480) + 0.5);" so that the calculation is done in floating point and then rounded to the nearest integer. It should be applied separately for each note in a chord so that the rounding is done twice (or at least the cutoff calculations are correct only if you do it this way).

The formula for computing sustain points that controbute to the base score for cutoff calculations is similar but the result is rounded towards zero so you dont add 0.5 which means you can just use integer math: (25*duration)/480.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is that we didn't consider each note separately, so there's some chord sustains that give 74 points, and some that give 76 points, and we didn't know how to decide between them.

When we finally get back to working on it, I'm sure we'll fix it up.
JCirri  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riff wrote:
What is your formula for calcuating hold points? It should be "uint32 sustainPointsAwarded = (((25.0 * duration)/480) + 0.5);" so that the calculation is done in floating point and then rounded to the nearest integer. It should be applied separately for each note in a chord so that the rounding is done twice (or at least the cutoff calculations are correct only if you do it this way).

The formula for computing sustain points that controbute to the base score for cutoff calculations is similar but the result is rounded towards zero so you dont add 0.5 which means you can just use integer math: (25*duration)/480.

I've found these calculations to be true for the most part but there are holds where it still fails. The problem lies in the fact that the game does not pre-calculate the total hold points and award them all at once as these calculations do. It adds the hold points in increments as you're holding the sustain note.

It is very important for my program to process these increments in the same way as the game so that hold points are not skipped or doubled if starpower is activated in the middle of a hold (certain number of increments must be added without SP, and certain number with SP such that it adds up properly).

So I'm not only interested in properly estimating the total hold points, but also in simulating the way the game adds the hold points to reach that total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give an estimate on how soon you may be able to release a public version of the program? I'm getting anxious to get back into GH, and I know I will once this is released.
10 million (currently 10.53 million!)

FC Epic

Cyberscore - Great high scores site for other games
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Drakken688
JCirri  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the program itself will most likely not be released since it's very messy and not easy to use. However, what will come out of this will be note charts showing the optimal path for every song and when those are completed I will release them in my Song FAQ forums.

As for an estimated time, it's hard to say since things keep coming up that we never found before and with each thing we change it requires testing to be sure it matches the game's calculations.

I haven't really worked on the program much lately as I've been doing other things but I'll try to get back to this later this week and let you know about how long it'll take.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Where are you getting the song data? Reply with quote

Does your program parse the svg's from purplefrog or are you reading directly from the game disc?
JCirri  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is now using the song data directly off the disc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding impatient (ok, maybe I am when it comes to this), can you give us an update on how this is progressing? Sorry, but the thought of this is just so awesome that I can't not ask. :p
10 million (currently 10.53 million!)

FC Epic

Cyberscore - Great high scores site for other games
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Drakken688
fatespeaks  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:
It is now using the song data directly off the disc.

Where should I look for informatin on how to read the data from the game disc? I have wasted a few hours searching the net for ps2 hacking info. I read somewhere that the note data is represented as streams of MIDI data. Mostly this is to satisfy my how-did-they-do-that curiosity. Though I would like to write my own program to calculate SP Paths. Any clips of source code or URL's would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: