ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The ScoreHero Wiki
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> ScoreHero Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCirri  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: The ScoreHero Wiki Reply with quote

I am glad to finally announce the completion of ScoreHero's Wiki for public use, accessible at wiki.scorehero.com.

The basic concept of a wiki is to allow shared access to contribute content to pages. As opposed to big stickies in forums which are generally compiled and maintained by a single person, the wiki allows everyone the opportunity to keep pages up-to-date, accurate, and always growing with new relevant knowledge. I've expanded on the wiki concept to develop a system that automatically maintains its structure, while still leaving the bulk of the content up to you!

What does that mean?

1. System-generated (and user editable) pages for:
  1. Every game in the GH and RB series;
  2. Every song within each game;
  3. Every specific combination for each song that contains rankings on SH;
  4. Every ScoreHero user.

2. Ability to:
  1. Create new pages;
  2. Contribute to existing pages;
  3. Control "read", "write" and "comment" permissions for pages that you own;
  4. Define usergroups that may be assigned to any particular page permissions.

Game/Song Pages

All system-generated pages mentioned above are designed to merge dynamic information from the SH database, with the power of the community to develop an ultimate knowledge-base about everything related to Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and ScoreHero. System-generated information is typically done through infoboxes on the right-hand side, leaving a vast majority of the pages (initially) blank for you to fill in. Game and song information should be added to the generic pages, and the specific instrument/difficulty combination songs should be geared towards SP/OD path contributions.

This means you can now write and explain paths for the most exotic combinations possible. If you want to share a 3-person band path for... let's say... Still Alive, Bass+Drums+Vocals on Medium, there's now a dedicated wiki page for doing so.

Notating paths, at least at first, will represent the bulk of the work to be done on the wiki. On those detailed song pages you could note the optimal path in abbreviated form, explain execution instructions, and/or embed a link to a marked up version of the notechart image.

The wiki is much better suited for paths as all information will be accessible in one spot, rather than scattered through multiple pages of forum discussion. However, since everyone in theory can update things, there is huge potential for abuse to mess up paths by changing a few numbers randomly, which would be extremely difficult to detect amidst many community edits. Because of this, there is a 5-contribution-point account upgrade necessary in order to contribute to the system-generated Song and Game (protected) pages. The upgrade is not required to view protected pages, access your user page, or contribute to other non-protected pages.

To give an idea of the dynamic capabilities, ajanata has access to upload notecharts directly to the SH server; immediately upon upload, song pages automatically detect if the file exists and, if so, displays a link to the chart. This means as soon as score-tracking is added for new DLC, the wiki pages become visible; and as soon as the chart image is uploaded, it is instantly accessible to everyone through the wiki pages, getting the data to you as soon a possible. In addition to that, other score-tracking stats are shown, such as top score, "your" score (if applicable), # submissions, and a breakdown of counts by ratings, 100%s, and FCs. Total notes and base score are also displayed if known (for GH songs), and I plan on incorporating rating cut-offs in the near future as well. The infoboxes are flexible so that the content and formatting can be easily changed over time.

User Pages

Each of you have the ability to publish content onto a page reserved specifically for you, titled "User_" followed by your username. For example, my user page is User_JCirri and is located at wiki.scorehero.com/User_JCirri. The user pages are not viewable until the user activates his/her page. There is a link on the Wiki HomePage for you to do so, after which content may be added by clicking "Edit" at the bottom.

By default, everyone will be able to read your page, only you will be able to write to your page, and no one will be able to leave comments. However, as the owner of the page, you are in full control of each of those permissions which can be managed through the "ACLs" (access control lists) link at the bottom of your page. * means everyone, + means registered members only, and you may also write a specific username. Permissions are checked in order from top-to-bottom and you may include multiple items, one per line.

As far as what's allowed, anything unacceptable on the forums is also unacceptable on the wiki. Most of the stuff many of you have been placing into your forum signatures, such as GH/RB goals and other things that take up large space are better suited for your wiki page. With that said, new policies will likely be put into practice regarding signatures which have long lost the intended meaning of "signature" (a unique phrase/image that distinguishes the user), degenerating into being viewed as "personal advertising space". Many have complained about that, and it really is a growing problem that we can now effectively address.

Custom Wiki Pages

Outside of the system-generated game, song, and user pages, the full freedom of a traditional wiki is available elsewhere. All registered members are able to create their own custom pages so long as they don't conflict with the naming conventions associated with the system pages (in which case you'd get a friendly error message). To create a new page, you simply change the URL to the title of the page you wish to create. For example, to start a page on HO/POs called HammerOnsAndPullOffs, you'd access http://wiki.scorehero.com/HammerOnsAndPullOffs and if the page doesn't already exist, there will be a link to create the page. Upon creating the page, you will be the owner and have control over access permissions just like your user page.

Team Projects

Often times, you will want to protect your pages from abuse, especially when collaborating with other specific members. If you're intending to restrict to a group of less than 5 members, then just write each username on a separate line in the ACLs. But if you're dealing with a larger group of contributors, one clean way to handle this is to create another page to define a usergroup. The body of such a page should be nothing more than lines of text, one per user, in the form of:
+JCirri+
+Phr34k+
+emptyset+
and so on..

You will need to remember to at least restrict the write-permissions to your usergroup page, as anyone having that access can change memberships of the group by editing the page (note: you can make use of that fact, to define multiple "group leaders" who are able to control memberships of the group). After making the usergroup, you simply use the title of the usergroup page in the ACLs of the target project page(s), and it will automatically apply the permissions to everyone in the group. By convention you should name the usergroup pages with the prefix, UserGroup.

Keep in mind that despite any "ownership" status, all wiki pages will be viewable the staff and I, and we reserve the right to edit, delete, or change ownership of pages as we deem necessary and will take action against those conducting malicious activity.

How do I get started?

Upon registration to the site, a main account, a forums account, and (from now on) a wiki account is created. If you're already registered prior to this announcement, then a wiki account has been created for you as well. There is no way to register through the wiki as everything is linked to main registration. However you do need to login separately to the wiki from the Login link at the top of the Wiki's HomePage. From that point on, you're free to do any of the things described above.

I should also note when editing the system pages, expect to see things like {{songstats}} and other things enclosed in brackets. Those are the pieces that generate the dynamic information, but don't worry about them for now and add any contributions you may have below those lines.

This wiki is a heavily modified implementation of WikkaWiki which has similar formatting rules to other wiki systems, but you'll want to check out the FormattingRules page to learn the basics on how to write content.

I do realize navigation is still lacking. Lots of links will eventually be integrated into the score-tracking portions of the site for easier accessibility, a button for user-wiki pages (if created) will be included in forum posts, and backwards navigation links will be added to the game/song wiki pages. This is a significant addition with heavy code modifications and many untested scenarios; there's no doubt there will be bugs, so just let me know as you find them or questions arise otherwise.

I thank everyone in advance who will become wiki contributors, and am greatly looking forward to seeing what we're capable of. Make it awesome - and enjoy!

A few reminders:

1) Your personal page should be "User_YourSHUsername." Pages simply titled "YourSHUsername" will not be subject to the same perks as "User_YourSHUsername" pages.

2) When adding information to your page, be sure to "edit" the page (as opposed to adding a comment to the page).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you not on the staff probably don't have a good appreciation for just how hard JC has worked to put this together. The customization of the wiki, while very cool, has not all been a piece of cake. I think I speak for everyone when I say: thank you JC, for this heaping pile of awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work as always, JC!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
nickb611  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work JC! As Echelar has already stated, a lot of work went into the customization of the Wiki for SH purposes. So, thanks JC. It's awesome.

Custom Guitar Hero
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: DrumHero89
dps2002  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woooooooooooow. Just reading through the intro post like that boggles my mind at how insanely complex this must have been.

Well done. Now, is it time to sleep?
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, Thank you JC! I've been really looking forward to this.

Also, from IRC:

Code:
   * JCirri been awake for 32 hours now to get that done

Holy crap. I don't know if a simple "Thanks" would suffice...
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing job JC! I can only imagine how long this has been in the works. Now take a well-earned break .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
footballtom3685  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all thanks a lot JCirri (and anyone else that helped), obviously you put a lot of time into this. I've been very excited for this and I'm really glad it's finally up. Thanks again! /me starts editing
straty  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think words can describe how thankful i am...

Awesome job JCirri and anyone else who contributed

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: straty1899
tf93  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks awesome, thanks to all the sh staff that helped put this together. Nice job
Yewb wrote:
Are you sure you actually played better, or did you just think you played better because... you know... you were ON COCAINE?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 103244300504
Chil  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this JCirri. I really appreciate all the work you've put into this.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: ChilXB PSN Name: PSChil
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to add all my little known facts to every song in every game!

/me goes to nerd out
Set all the tax rates to 9.
tenorsrule2008  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap that's awesome

Thanks a million times over for your hard work so that we get to have a little fun JC.
I remember the first time I beat TTFaF and was all pumped.

Me: HEY I BEAT TTFAF !!!!!
8-year old brother: So what?
Me: FUCK YOU! THIS STUFF IS TOO DEEP FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND
Graf  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks JCirri!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> ScoreHero Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: